Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Ambaire posted:

We've already seen deathsquitos get a huge nerf due to 'popular outcry'. Disclaimer: I still haven't gotten far enough in the game to encounter them.

They'll still one-shot you if you don't have full iron armor and there's already a vocal contingent of players calling for those things to be un-nerfed lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ambaire posted:

Valheim was also on itch.io for about 2.5 years before releasing on Steam. Maybe all the itch.io players of it were hardcore masochists who loved that kind of grind.
Wouldn't surprise me. Insular communities tend to turn out that way. Two and a half years isn't that long by EA standards, though. I mean, Project Zomboid is like ten years old at this point and they're still not done.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I do have an extensive thread discussing it in their Suggestions subforum, half of which is other players shouting me down to 'git gud' or wait for an easy mode to be patched in. (???) I think the actual devteam is something like 4 people so the odds of them even gleaning anything useful is dubious, but, I tried.
Figures, but hey, attempt made.

Orv
May 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2

loving what is going on its miserable and depressing and its just running back and forth between quest markers while scrounging for water & food and hoping for some reason a bunch of townspeople don't decide to chase me down and beat me to death

Correct. Please enjoy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

OgNar posted:

This isnt a problem with an adaptor, I needed the same and just bought one off amazon and it worked fine.

I bought this one
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Headset-Separate-DuKabel-ProSeries/dp/B07RV6VBNR/

Hey thanks, I ended up just getting these + the Sennheisers.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2

its miserable and depressing

welcome to the Russian literary tradition, enjoy your stay

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2

loving what is going on its miserable and depressing and its just running back and forth between quest markers while scrounging for water & food and hoping for some reason a bunch of townspeople don't decide to chase me down and beat me to death

Any choice is right if it is willed.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Valheim was also on itch.io for about 2.5 years before releasing on Steam. Maybe all the itch.io players of it were hardcore masochists who loved that kind of grind.

I'm convinced that a lot of EA games really suffer from feedback from people who have been playing for years and want the difficulty cranked up to keep it interesting. Compounded by new players being unlikely to start giving feedback on a game they aren't really invested in.

E: Still hoping the devs of Star Traders make it a little more accessible for the same reason. So many cool ideas, so punishing if the player steps out of their build's confines or doesn't know what to prep for.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 14, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm convinced that a lot of EA games really suffer from feedback from people who have been playing for years and want the difficulty cranked up to keep it interesting. Compounded by new players being unlikely to start giving feedback on a game they aren't really invested in.
This is pretty much factually correct and it's the acknowledged reason for why e.g. Darkest Dungeon turned out so balls-hard. Every time the devs did anything, the EA crowd bitched and moaned about how it wasn't hard enough until they had eventually dialled it up to a point where it's only barely still accessible to normal people anymore.

In many cases, EA and the constant player feedback can really do something to improve a game and make sure that glaring design issues are caught before they become a problem down the road. The downside is that it means this kind of thing can also happen.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

This is pretty much factually correct and it's the acknowledged reason for why e.g. Darkest Dungeon turned out so balls-hard. Every time the devs did anything, the EA crowd bitched and moaned about how it wasn't hard enough until they had eventually dialled it up to a point where it's only barely still accessible to normal people anymore.

In many cases, EA and the constant player feedback can really do something to improve a game and make sure that glaring design issues are caught before they become a problem down the road. The downside is that it means this kind of thing can also happen.

Why does it seem like so few of these indie devs have any concept of multiple difficulties and options thereof? Instead of changing the entire loving game to suit a tiny subset of the players, just make it a separate difficulty...

There's quite a few aspects of Valheim that would greatly benefit from something like this. Make it as granular as ARK's settings, even.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I think it's because balancing a game is honestly really hard and especially a small team often just wouldn't have the time or ability to do so multiple times for just one game.

A dial that lets you scale the amount of resources necessary for any given object really wouldn't be difficult to implement just as a convenience feature, though. Maybe they'll still do that later.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
As someone who played Merc Kings when it was still in EA up until release, I'm glad they made some changes like telling you where the boss is and smoothing out some of the grind (not all of it tho lol), but I will never get why they took out the most interesting Shell-type ammo and I wouldn't know if they put it back in because it's been so long since I did everything worth doing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I do have an extensive thread discussing it in their Suggestions subforum, half of which is other players shouting me down to 'git gud' or wait for an easy mode to be patched in.

steam forums are universally cesspits where this happens in every thread containing anything critical about a game. the less you look at them the saner you'll be

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Huh, didn't notice until now that Valheim is published by Coffee Stain (THQ Nordic/Embracer).

EDIT: Third most played game on Steam right now, between DOTA 2 and Rust. 270K players in-game.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 14, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I think you guys are vastly overestimating how many people play games on itch.io, never mind give feedback to early access ones.
Hell, a lot of you bought that pack with a million games and didn't even look at it twice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Det_no posted:

I think you guys are vastly overestimating how many people play games on itch.io, never mind give feedback to early access ones.
I'm not sure where you get that from. The point was that it's not really about how many people play the game, it's about how many different opinions and positions the developer is exposed to. This is why playtesting and especially having a large number of is playtesters is important: it ensures that you don't end up in a spiral where you build everything around a niche group that doesn't represent what the average player would actually want.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

darkest dungeon at least added in radiant mode which reduces the grinding.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, although Radiant difficulty mostly makes the game faster, not easier. Still, it's at least something.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ambaire posted:

Why does it seem like so few of these indie devs have any concept of multiple difficulties and options thereof? Instead of changing the entire loving game to suit a tiny subset of the players, just make it a separate difficulty...

There's quite a few aspects of Valheim that would greatly benefit from something like this. Make it as granular as ARK's settings, even.

Darkest Dungeon actually has a really great alternative difficulty setting, even though it wasn't in at launch. They don't call it "Easy Mode", they call it "Radiant Mode" and it basically keeps the combat tough but MAJORLY cuts down on the amount of grind needed to upgrade your stuff and recruit new guys, maintaining the challenge and keeping permadeath a factor but making it significantly less punishing. It's a good setting, I know people who hated the game but eventually gave it a try on Radiant mode and beat it and loved it, and I'm glad the original setting is still around because I enjoy a slow burn like Darkest Dungeon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One of the nice things about Darkest Dungeon is that it is really easy to mod. My preferred way to play is to use Radiant and modify attack rolls so I get a critical hit 75% of the time. That might sound like it makes the game too easy, but the thing about Darkest Dungeon has always been that it's about attrition much more than about individual fights. The damage bonus this translates to makes fights go by much faster without taking away from the challenge too much, especially at the higher dungeon levels.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ripper Swarm posted:

welcome to the Russian literary tradition, enjoy your stay

I had a literature professor in college who said that in Russian lit, a happy ending is one where all the main characters are dead since they don’t have to be miserable anymore.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not sure where you get that from. The point was that it's not really about how many people play the game, it's about how many different opinions and positions the developer is exposed to. This is why playtesting and especially having a large number of is playtesters is important: it ensures that you don't end up in a spiral where you build everything around a niche group that doesn't represent what the average player would actually want.

It’s why I like stuff like XCom pulling metrics way more than community feedback, it really cuts down on the biased sampling.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Ambaire posted:

Indie devs should pull a page from the "controller support" for the original release of Binding of Isaac and at the very least have a post-it note labeled "google Cheat Engine" where the nonexistent difficulty options should be.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s why I like stuff like XCom pulling metrics way more than community feedback, it really cuts down on the biased sampling.
It definitely less biased, although has its downsides, such as only showing you what people have difficulty with, but not what they dislike - which may not actually be the same thing.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Indie devs should pull a page from the "controller support" for the original release of Binding of Isaac and at the very least have a post-it note labeled "google Cheat Engine" where the nonexistent difficulty options should be.

Yeah, I'm aware of the existence of Cheat Engine. Prey (2016) was significantly more fun once I used it to max out the resources and not worry about scavenging for the rare stuff.

Just feels wrong, somehow, with Valheim. Although skipping the bronze grind would make it more fun, I think.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Idgi

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2

pathologic 2 occasionally has positive emotional catharsis so just be glad you're playing it and not path 1

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Doesn't quite apply in this case, I think, because an important part of that kind of metric (such as through achievements) also consists of measuring which parts of a game people never even reach.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

In this case, all the planes come back and the devs can see which soldiers have their guts blown up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

If you mean the plane pic it's a funny anecdote from WWII or one of those other wars, idk. Engineers looked at planes that returned from combat, examined bullet holes to see where they got shot at the most, and reinforced those parts on future planes. What they failed to consider at the time was that these were the planes that returned from combat after being shot at in those places, and the real vulnerabilities were in the parts that got shot up on the planes that never returned at all. The pic is meant to be a shorthand for how "metrics" can be actively harmful if applied incorrectly

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Ah gotcha ty

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

The pic is meant to be a shorthand for how "metrics" can be actively harmful if applied incorrectly.
And that's an excellent lesson to learn, really. The important thing to remember is just that video games aren't airplanes and you can have metrics about where and how quickly a given ID stopped playing as well as you can have metrics about everything else.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Monster Sanctuary suffered pretty significantly from this. The scaling is nonsensical and the difficulty curve takes a great concept and makes a miserable execution.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My roommate's entire undergrad psychology major can pretty much be summed up as "are you measuring what you think you're measuring? Here's ways you're probably mistaken."

It's an issue, but it's a known one and there are ways to go into it aware of the mistakes. Ideally you listen both to what players are saying AND what they're doing, see where those interact. Just use that to identify problems though, not to define solutions. Generic forums posters aren't good developers. Yes, I am typing that self-aware...-ly? That word got away from me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's a nice German saying that gets drilled into a lot of people during their apprenticeship: "Wer misst, misst Mist."

He who measures, measures poo poo

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Doesn't quite apply in this case, I think, because an important part of that kind of metric (such as through achievements) also consists of measuring which parts of a game people never even reach.

It definitely applies pretty well to community feedback. You are much less likely to get feedback from the people who are aren’t engaged by your game for some reason, so the data you get will be biased towards the niche that are heavily invested (which has been your point the whole time!)

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 14, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stickman posted:

It definitely applies pretty well to community feedback. You are much less likely to get feedback from the people who are aren’t engaged by your game for some reason, so the data you get will be biased towards the niche that are heavily invested (which has been your point the whole time!)
Good point. Yeah, there's a strong sample bias to user feedback and reviews in that you tend only get it from people who are invested enough to specifically praise or complain about something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I think we’re agreeing here but I’m not sure. That image gets thrown out a lot without people understanding what it actually is.

Vincent posted:

In this case, all the planes come back and the devs can see which soldiers have their guts blown up.

I think they were talking about how the community feedback is the type of people that always made it back. Their feedback sucks because top level players give you no information about difficulty for the average player.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 14, 2021

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I think it's because balancing a game is honestly really hard and especially a small team often just wouldn't have the time or ability to do so multiple times for just one game.

A dial that lets you scale the amount of resources necessary for any given object really wouldn't be difficult to implement just as a convenience feature, though. Maybe they'll still do that later.

It might be hard to make multiple difficulty levels that feature clever or deep changes to the game, but if you have it in one state and hardcore players say it is too easy and you change something that makes it way harder, put a switch in to select between them and mark it as "difficulty toggle". Job done.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gromit posted:

It might be hard to make multiple difficulty levels that feature clever or deep changes to the game, but if you have it in one state and hardcore players say it is too easy and you change something that makes it way harder, put a switch in to select between them and mark it as "difficulty toggle". Job done.
Then you're still basically working concurrently on two different iterations of the game and everything you develop with one version of the game in mind has to also measured against the other difficulty mode. Depending on what you want to do, it might not fit easily into both at the same time and this kind of thing really complicates development at a stage when you're still constantly introducing new gameplay elements and content. Even if it sounds like a simple thing to do, it's still not necessarily a realistic thing to demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I had a literature professor in college who said that in Russian lit, a happy ending is one where all the main characters are dead since they don’t have to be miserable anymore.
Without (further) derailing, how valuable would you find a judgement of American lit from a Russian professor?

As to balance - a lot of people tend to believe that feedback from "top players" with experience in the game helps improve balance for casual players as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1p42KtZOCw