Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
They've never been hard-hard, but the shift from puzzles and postgame battle challenges to many major opponents not even having four moves was fairly noticeable. B/W to X/Y being such a marked shift is probably half of why the feeling is there, as well as the player getting tools like Megas and Z Moves that opponents rarely took advantage of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Also to this day i see people saying pokemon is too easy who never turned switch to set.

Its still too easy, but you may actually lose a mon or two in the run that way.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The thing Pokémon and Zelda get hit with too easy more tyan other Nintendo games cause Mario and Kirby and Smash and hell Splatoon tend to have real difficulty in the side areas and in the post game. Which to me is the best system for handling these series woth such broad fanbases and the fact that even Mario does this makes Pokémon and Zelda not doing it frustrating.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

The thing Pokémon and Zelda get hit with too easy more tyan other Nintendo games cause Mario and Kirby and Smash and hell Splatoon tend to have real difficulty in the side areas and in the post game. Which to me is the best system for handling these series woth such broad fanbases and the fact that even Mario does this makes Pokémon and Zelda not doing it frustrating.

I mean pokemon has done it.

Twice ever both of which were removed after the one game they were in.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, if this is true, I have to go back to Kirby one of these days. Back then, not even the secret hidden difficulty mode of the original Kirby's Dreamland could stop me, and I even bulldozed my way through the harder NES-game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhDyIrR0zpo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Bee posted:

They've never been hard-hard, but the shift from puzzles and postgame battle challenges to many major opponents not even having four moves was fairly noticeable. B/W to X/Y being such a marked shift is probably half of why the feeling is there, as well as the player getting tools like Megas and Z Moves that opponents rarely took advantage of.

Plus half the major fights now full heal you before hand or theres NPCs in the area that do it. That and cutting out any route or cave that's longer than 1 to 2 screens basically meant what little challenge there was is just out the window which started in XY on top of all the new "Win the fight" buttons against the ai like megas.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The early gen I Win button was having a Blastoise with Mega Punch, I don't think anything ever survived a single one after not very long.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

gen 3 battle tower was peak pokepostgame and i miss it

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

CYBEReris posted:

gen 3 battle frontier was peak pokepostgame and i miss it

FTFY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gen 5 was the best one, no further questions

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Augus posted:

:hmmyes:

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
PWT was amazing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Augus posted:

hmmmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjilJHcJEG4&hd=1

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

My favorite Pokegames are Emerald and Platinum. But I fully admit that could be nostalgia because those are the ones I played most as a kid. Ruby was my first one ever.

I loved how in Platinum some wild Pokemon only came out depending on what time of day it was IRL. I remember trying to catch one Pokemon who only came out after my bedtime and hiding under my sheets playing my DS hoping my mom wouldn't catch me :allears:

Also spending dozens of hours messing around in the underground with my lil bro lol

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The Lockpicking Lawyer takes on love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhWwzb-RY8
:allears:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Gen 5 was the peak for me as well. Though I still have fun with it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the issue is Nintendo games have never ever been hard and they've just gotten even easier as time went on even discounting all the super modes and guide modes and the like.

The NES/SNES era begs to differ

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Jamie Faith posted:

I loved how in Platinum some wild Pokemon only came out depending on what time of day it was IRL. I remember trying to catch one Pokemon who only came out after my bedtime and hiding under my sheets playing my DS hoping my mom wouldn't catch me :allears:

Day/Night cycles were added in Gen 2, but then taken out in Gen 3 for some reason.

It made me so disappointed as a kid, that and Gen 3 not allowing you transfer your old Pokemon made me hate Ruby and Sapphire a lot before FR/LG and the Gamecube games mitigated much of that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If HG/SS had a hard mode it would be the perfect pokemon game imo. Kanto and Johto, pokemon follow you, tons of post game content and secrets to sink your teeth into, a good number of obtainable pokemon but not an overwhelming amount. Its only real knock is that it's absolutely piss easy even by normal pokemon standards because the devs went through and consistently knocked down the levels of and amount of pokemon trainers have. Outside the Elite Four it feels like there's maybe a dozen trainers at most who have more than three pokemon to their name, and way too many only have one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DeafNote posted:

the big difference is save/checkpoints. if old nintendo games had those to the level we do now, they'd also be cakewalks. if dying 3 times in mario 64 reset you back to the start of the section of the castle you entered or to the beginning, video games would be dead

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

trubbish and garbador only B-tier? gently caress this, I’m unsubscribing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait til you see what he rated bidoof

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

DeafNote posted:

Gen 5 was the peak for me as well. Though I still have fun with it.

Half of those were made harder arbitrarily in the NA releases and as invictus said if they were made today they'd have checkpoints/save points.

Hell Mario 3 had checkpoints and save files and was already way easier to actually beat than either Mario 1 or 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nintendo has never made a hard game. They've only had hard games released on their systems.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Half of those were made harder arbitrarily in the NA releases and as invictus said if they were made today they'd have checkpoints/save points.

Hell Mario 3 had checkpoints and save files and was already way easier to actually beat than either Mario 1 or 2.

Mario 3 did not have checkpoints. In fact, I think it was the first Super Mario Bros game to not have checkpoints.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ariong posted:

Mario 3 did not have checkpoints. In fact, I think it was the first Super Mario Bros game to not have checkpoints.

You start back at the start of world and all the fortresses and hammer bros fights you cleared stay cleared which means you can much more quickly get back to where you were.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Ariong posted:

Wrong. The key gates unlocked by fortresses were essentially checkpoints in world progression which let you bypass the stuff you already did.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mario 3 didn’t have mid-level checkpoints because Mario 3 had short levels

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You start back at the start of world and all the fortresses and hammer bros fights you cleared stay cleared which means you can much more quickly get back to where you were.

Oh, I thought you meant level checkpoints.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

I'm pretty sure you could play hard mode for your first run. I did that. It was actually easier because levelling was faster.

I played through on hard mode, too, but I know I had to have my friend who'd already beaten the game give me the challenge mode key to unlock it. Maybe the same thing happened to you? Bulbapedia says the same thing:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Key_System posted:

For the first time in a Pokémon game, there are different difficulty levels. There are three different modes: Easy Mode (Japanese: アシストモード Assist Mode), Normal Mode (Japanese: ノーマルモード Normal Mode), and Challenge Mode (Japanese: チャレンジモード Challenge Mode). Only Normal Mode is unlocked by default; Easy Mode and Challenge Mode must be unlocked through the course of the games.

Easy Mode decreases the opponents' artificial intelligence and the level of their Pokémon. As such, battles become easier. This mode is unlocked after defeating the Champion in Pokémon White 2.

Challenge Mode increases some opponents' artificial intelligence and the level of their Pokémon, starting from 1 level and reaching 5 levels by the end of the game. Gym Leaders and Elite Four members will also have an extra Pokémon on their team, as well as different movesets and held items. Their IVs are also increased to 30. This mode is unlocked after defeating the Champion in Pokémon Black 2.

To unlock Easy Mode in Black 2 and Challenge Mode in White 2, the respective keys for each version needs to be transferred from a player with the opposite version via the Unova Link.

Sydin posted:

If HG/SS had a hard mode it would be the perfect pokemon game imo. Kanto and Johto, pokemon follow you, tons of post game content and secrets to sink your teeth into, a good number of obtainable pokemon but not an overwhelming amount. Its only real knock is that it's absolutely piss easy even by normal pokemon standards because the devs went through and consistently knocked down the levels of and amount of pokemon trainers have. Outside the Elite Four it feels like there's maybe a dozen trainers at most who have more than three pokemon to their name, and way too many only have one.

Platinum and HG/SS felt like they hit the most comfortable middle ground with fun post-game stuff to do. And like, I'm not just saying this as an adult pokemon fan. Even back at the end of playing Blue when I was like 10, it kind of sucked because there wasn't anything left to do besides re-fight the elite 4 over and over. And you'd have to do that anyway since there wasn't really a decent way to earn money for more potions or pokeballs otherwise. Having some kind of side activities or minigames can be pretty rewarding even for kids. HG/SS's Pokéathlon was awesome.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

Nintendo has never made a hard game.

Punch-Out!!
Super Punch-Out!!
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

All three developed by Nintendo IRD.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Title defense mode in wii punch out is also hard as balls.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Don't sleep on Zelda 2.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Mario 3 didn’t have mid-level checkpoints because Mario 3 had short levels

Yeah, recently I played some Mario 3 as part of my SNES Mario Allstars, and I was surprised myself about how short the individual levels are. Mario 3 with level checkpoints would be ridiculous.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICAgFDASPII
Part one of a delightful and indepht video on The Moomins. It's a year old so it has probably been posted here before.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Captain Invictus posted:

oh boy, xiran jay zhao just put up her ATLA: book two cultural influences video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6SNxykp2MA&hd=1

This was good. I hope their book is good, too.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Don't sleep on Zelda 2.
More annoying than hard, ymmv.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

For me as a kid Mario 3 was simply impossible to finish.
SMW on the other hand.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Lets Game It Out breaks Hydroneer, again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDtwhUPG18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zetsubou-san posted:

Lets Game It Out breaks Hydroneer, again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNDtwhUPG18

At this point I think the devs are using him for bugtesting, because he opens with them having fixed his favourite ways to make quick infinite cash :allears:.