Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Islands are definitely not better than bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've started riding my bike again and its good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m glad OP. I’ve been riding a ton indoors because it’s been snowy and bitterly cold. I’m hoping sprint comes soon so I can sport some more Sunday Club.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m glad OP. I’ve been riding a ton indoors because it’s been snowy and bitterly cold. I’m hoping sprint comes soon so I can sport some more Sunday Club.

I broke my foot and my hand last year and it meant I couldnt ride outdoors at all, and even indoors was an issue. What it meant in reality was I stopped riding, and its very easy to just not ride at that point. I barely did 1000 miles last year.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Yeah get Speedplays. I had the same issue, inside of my knee getting really sore with most road pedals, I need my feet to move around a little bit through the rotation (so lots of float) and I have my heels turned-in so far they're almost whacking the chain-stays which is hard to adjust for on some pedals.
Only one bike fitter ever solved it with non-speedplay pedals and those shoes wore out and we had moved country so I gave up after some frustrating times and bought speedplays. After the initial setup they have been great, as long as I remember to grease them occasionally. Oh and if you need to increase your distance to get your heel in further try a couple of pedal washers first.

Float is much less of an issue than stance for me, my legs splay out way wide from my already wide hips.I've already got pedal washers on. It also looks like speedplay discontinued their longer axle models when they got bought out, so I'd be buying pedals and then buying aftermarket axles and swapping them out. I'd be happy just buying even longer axles for my shimano pedals if something longer then the +4mm was out there, but I haven't found any. It all feels like an annoying run-around to do solve what doesn't seems like it should be that uncommon/difficult of a problem.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Float is much less of an issue than stance for me, my legs splay out way wide from my already wide hips.I've already got pedal washers on. It also looks like speedplay discontinued their longer axle models when they got bought out, so I'd be buying pedals and then buying aftermarket axles and swapping them out. I'd be happy just buying even longer axles for my shimano pedals if something longer then the +4mm was out there, but I haven't found any. It all feels like an annoying run-around to do solve what doesn't seems like it should be that uncommon/difficult of a problem.

I don't know what components you use but downgrading cranks usually widens the q-factor which puts the pedals wider. Eg. Dura-ace is 146mm, Tiagra 150mm and the triple Tiagra is already 159mm. Going from road to mtb increases the q-factor even more. I don't know if this really works for you but it's one way of getting more space between pedals.

If you can use square taper cranks and bb you can get the cranks as wide as you like almost.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm running shimano 105, which I believe is 146mm. Changing out cranks seems like more trouble than changing pedals, and potentially more expensive. I'd rather just run different pedals if I can get away with it.

I've also found SQLab pedals, which have long axle options that look like they'd be less trouble to get a hold of than speedplay these days, since it wouldn't involve a months-long wait on aftermarket axles from J&L in Taiwan.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone here have experience with either pedal axle extenders or with speedplay pedals?

After fighting with knee pain and struggling with bike fit on my road bike, I got frustrated and threw flat pedals on it, which immediately solved the issue. No knee pain, comfortable in the seat, riding for hours, fantastic. Looking down, I noticed I placed my feet pretty wide on the pedals. Trying to replicate this stance with clipless, I'm at the point where I've adjusted my cleats as far inside as they go, gotten the ultegra long-axle pedals, and added a 1.5mm spacer, and it's still not quite enough. It close, but there's still a pinch at my hips and tension in my knees that turns to pain if I ride clipped in two days in a row.

So now I'm trying to figure out the next step to getting the fantastic connected feeling of being clipped in without grinding my knees into dust, and it seems like either spacers or speedplay are my best bet. I'm skeptical of spacers, but it's also cheaper than buying into a whole new pedal system, and I'm getting sick of having to throw money into this bike to make it feel as good as my beat to poo poo 90s trek mountain bike gravel conversion.

Coming from MTB I used to feel I wanted the same stance on my road bike to cure my own knee pain. The inexpensive pedal extenders seemed rather sketchy, so I mostly solved it by spending a few weeks actively reminding myself to ride with my knees further in close to the top tube. Seems to have worked for my kneepain, hth

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

meltie posted:

Coming from MTB I used to feel I wanted the same stance on my road bike to cure my own knee pain. The inexpensive pedal extenders seemed rather sketchy, so I mostly solved it by spending a few weeks actively reminding myself to ride with my knees further in close to the top tube. Seems to have worked for my kneepain, hth

I appreciate the tip. Just gave this a quick 5min try on the rollers, and it was surprisingly good. It felt weird in that I felt like I was using my muscles quite a bit differently, but my knees didn't feel any pressure. I'll probably try this for a little while and see if it'll work out for me long term. It beats just throwing more money at the problem. Thanks to everyone for helping me bumble my way through this!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I appreciate the tip. Just gave this a quick 5min try on the rollers, and it was surprisingly good. It felt weird in that I felt like I was using my muscles quite a bit differently, but my knees didn't feel any pressure. I'll probably try this for a little while and see if it'll work out for me long term. It beats just throwing more money at the problem. Thanks to everyone for helping me bumble my way through this!

It feels like there should be a little book of tips like this. I hope the knee thing works for you!

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 14, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Another mini update on the Madone. If you read only Weight Weenies, you'd think you couldn't have thin and supple enough of a tire for your road bike.
On the other hand, on Craigslist and eBay, this is just as often the winning combo:

Deep aero wheel with Gatorskins.

I recently saw a post about Schwalbe Aerothan tubes, and wanted to splurge on those. A little more reading showed that they posed a slight detriment to your rolling resistance:
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/updated-aerocoach-inner-tube-tests-conclude-latex-is-still-fastest/
So between their not being in stock anywhere and the Revloop being cheaper, I got 3 of those to try out. Reviews seem to indicate that the supplied patches don't work as readily as with latex, but willing to overlook that to try something new. Look how novel it is:

I got the Race, not Ultra Race. It was the only thing in the right size / valve length.

Pretty compelling weight savings:

4 times the price but 1/3 the weight.
Note the plastic valve shaft on the Revloop.

Mounted up the GP5ks easily with the Bead Jack that epilot recommended. Even without them, wouldn't have been too hard, I think.
Atrocious wrinkling on the logo, but whatever

First time I've seen a GP tire measure narrower than advertised:

Knowing this, makes me wanna try 28s, though then I'd lose the aero continuity from tire to rim.

Lastly and unrelated, this is the roller cam underpinnings of the rim brakes:
https://i.imgur.com/2zA9bB7.mp4

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 14, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

:eyepop:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FireTora posted:

Islands are definitely not better than bikes.

Islands are pretty good and you can ride bikes on them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

First time I've seen a GP tire measure narrower than advertised:

This is sorcery and black magic

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

kimbo305 posted:

Bloody hell. Aside from the silly headtube flaps are they any good?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I went out and for 40 minutes it was good, and then it rained for 3 hours and it was bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meltie posted:

Bloody hell. Aside from the silly headtube flaps are they any good?

Haven’t test ridden this bike yet. Reviews ranged from good to very good, with lots of call outs for being easy to set up not just for proprietary aero brakes but for any rim brake. Likely owing to the completely symmetrical mechanism and also symmetrical outboard adjustments.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Windy today. 22kph out, 36kph back.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I recently saw a post about Schwalbe Aerothan tubes, and wanted to splurge on those. A little more reading showed that they posed a slight detriment to your rolling resistance:
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/updated-aerocoach-inner-tube-tests-conclude-latex-is-still-fastest/

Nice link, I only knew about tubolito (got myself a pair a few weeks ago). What the article didnt mention is how compact the polyurethane tubes are, which was a big selling point for me (plus the puncture resistance).

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

kimbo305 posted:

Haven’t test ridden this bike yet. Reviews ranged from good to very good, with lots of call outs for being easy to set up not just for proprietary aero brakes but for any rim brake. Likely owing to the completely symmetrical mechanism and also symmetrical outboard adjustments.

I rode one of these for several years and though the brakes worked well. I was running Bontrager cork pads on Bontrager carbon rims.

The only issue I ever had was on rainy days with road grit. Sometimes the cam mechanism would fill up with sand and the calipers wold not retract. This mainly affected the front brake. I'd have to manually pinch the calipers to get them to open.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

The only issue I ever had was on rainy days with road grit. Sometimes the cam mechanism would fill up with sand and the calipers wold not retract. This mainly affected the front brake. I'd have to manually pinch the calipers to get them to open.

Makes sense; the face plate doesn't have much protection underneath. Bet you could glue a micro rear end-saver on the bottom tab of the plate

Tuned up the front brake to my liking, which is near zero pad gap. Had to true the wheel a bit in a couple spots. Vector wings in action:
https://i.imgur.com/bpZZgdE.mp4

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

kimbo305 posted:

Vector wings in action
:awesomelon:

That's just ridiculous. I love it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Miiiight need more pad gap so you don't rub while cornering.

Looks hella rad tho.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

kimbo305 posted:

Makes sense; the face plate doesn't have much protection underneath. Bet you could glue a micro rear end-saver on the bottom tab of the plate

Tuned up the front brake to my liking, which is near zero pad gap. Had to true the wheel a bit in a couple spots. Vector wings in action:

This just pulled up an old memory. At some time, one of those little conical 2mm bolts that holds the face plate on fell off during a ride. I wrote to Trek and they sent me an entire brake small parts kit. Pretty much 2 of every little screw and bit that you would ever need. I think I still have it somewhere and it would be nice to give that bag of parts to someone who might need it at some time.

I'll poke around my shithole of a garage tomorrow.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

Miiiight need more pad gap so you don't rub while cornering.

Looks hella rad tho.

Yeah, I expect to have to back them out first few rides out. Need to do the back and then test on the rollers.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

This just pulled up an old memory. At some time, one of those little conical 2mm bolts that holds the face plate on fell off during a ride. I wrote to Trek and they sent me an entire brake small parts kit. Pretty much 2 of every little screw and bit that you would ever need. I think I still have it somewhere and it would be nice to give that bag of parts to someone who might need it at some time.

That'd be great. One of them is rounding out, and I was gonna measure it to get a replacement on boltdepot.com ($8 shipping on a $1 bolt, and I live only 35 min away).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

LOL this is so dumb. Perfect.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I'm running shimano 105, which I believe is 146mm. Changing out cranks seems like more trouble than changing pedals, and potentially more expensive. I'd rather just run different pedals if I can get away with it.

I've also found SQLab pedals, which have long axle options that look like they'd be less trouble to get a hold of than speedplay these days, since it wouldn't involve a months-long wait on aftermarket axles from J&L in Taiwan.

I just fitted some J&L axles I bought from eBay, though they said between 4 and 6 weeks for delivery I received them just 10days later.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

This is sexy

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Canyon says they’ve fully refunded me for the bike, hasn’t hit my card yet. The end of a (bad) era is drawing near.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if i wanted to get a nicer set of bibs, with emphasis on being comfortable for 50-100mi (my cheap enough bibs do well for my usual 1-2hr rides) in warm and hot weather, and my budget is about 150ish:

what's the goon consensus on endura Pro SL (leaning towards these ones based on reviews) vs assos T.Equipe Evo vs ProCorsa McKenzie Summit vs Gore C7 Long Distance.

i like the castelli knicker bibs that i got for cold weather but they're a bit short on the torso

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
It's hard to go past dhb. The Aeron and up gear is as good as anything I've used. Can vouch for the Ultralight bib for hot days, though I bought it with a strava discount and regular price is a little above your range now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

if i wanted to get a nicer set of bibs, with emphasis on being comfortable for 50-100mi (my cheap enough bibs do well for my usual 1-2hr rides) in warm and hot weather, and my budget is about 150ish:

what's the goon consensus on endura Pro SL (leaning towards these ones based on reviews) vs assos T.Equipe Evo vs ProCorsa McKenzie Summit vs Gore C7 Long Distance.

i like the castelli knicker bibs that i got for cold weather but they're a bit short on the torso

I’m not a huge fan of the Gore bibs I have, but I’ll rave about Assos bibs until I die.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i was pretty impressed with the dhb jerseys that i just bought (but havent worn yet due to piss weather), but i saw a lot of complaints about sizing on the bibs being not great

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

sweat poteto posted:

It's hard to go past dhb. The Aeron and up gear is as good as anything I've used. Can vouch for the Ultralight bib for hot days, though I bought it with a strava discount and regular price is a little above your range now.

I really agree with this. The dhb aeron "lab" stuff is outstanding for the price.

I haven't had issues with the sizing, personally. I have short but *very large* legs. The large size in the aeron speed ones fit very well, and the large in the 'lab' stuff is quite snug but still fits (by which I mean, I haven't popped a seam yet after two years of wear, but I always wonder a bit if I might).

bicievino fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 15, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

woot Hunt just emailed me saying they're expecting to receive my order into their distribution warehouse this week

holy crap i'm glad I put my order in a couple weeks ago because now their site is saying pre-order now for delivery in June and some other models as late as August :captainpop:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Canyon says they’ve fully refunded me for the bike, hasn’t hit my card yet. The end of a (bad) era is drawing near.

This video is lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp8IBAQYggE

I wear alot of DHB Aeron and alot of La Passione kit. Both are above average quality for below average cost and come in a variety of colors but aren't super loud.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
La passione are really, really good and kind of who I styled my business on. They offer very good stuff at cheaper than it should be prices. We'll see how long that continues with their marketing spend skyrocketing of late but I would always recommend them.

Also the DHB stuff is made in the same factory. Or it was when I was last there.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BraveUlysses posted:

I went from DHB bargain-bucket to Endura's Pro SL last year, and yeah, i'd vouch for Endura's pad being super comfy. I don't need chamois cream any more.

It's a well-constructed bib. The band across the stomach is firm. Be honest with yourself on the sizing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bikes good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

La passione are really, really good and kind of who I styled my business on. They offer very good stuff at cheaper than it should be prices.

I only have one pair, and either the specific chamois position or the zigzag stitching securing it causes the rear edges to stick out against my hamstrings, feel wise.