Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's fun to move around the city, chaining Heavens Runs into Crimson Lines into Hunter's Descents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scrap Dragon posted:

I think I get what you guys were talking about their being too many party members in CS4. I almost didn’t have enough accessories to go around for the Black Workshop raid and the quartz situation was so bad I actually had to use the defense and shield quartz.

Also, the fact that Machias and Jusis have no unique dialogue if you take them to Crossbell is bullshit.

I also noticed this!

As for party members, yeah, it's a big pain equipping everyone. Master Quartzes are also a huge pain to deal with, though the "a Master Quartz can be a sub-quartz on multiple characters" change helps a bit.

I generally just give New Class VII my best stuff and half-rear end equipping everyone else (except for a couple of the exceptionally useful characters like Alisa and stacking Evade on Fie).

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I like all the Ys games a lot.
I barely remember 7 as my first ys game and 6 with the pixel perfect platforming that chased me off, but 1,2,3,4,7,8,9 are all aces.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

7 has much better enemy design and combat flow then Memories and 8 but is much inferior in every other regard. I enjoyed it more then 8 mostly since I'm only in Ys for the music and combat.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Finished Ys 9 and I thought it was great. I’d probably put 8 slightly above it, but it was well worth playing. I was really weirded out with the side quest at the very end where all the homunculi in the lab had to die. That didn’t really make much sense.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 12, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just finished the part of CS4 where you do the Rivalry fight with Crow, and Rean is like 10x as emotional about this as he is literally anything else in this series. With all the female love interests he's just like "You mean a lot to me" but in this scene he's passionately embracing Crow and yelling "I need you!"

edit: lmao he's literally bound with him in spirit now apparently.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 13, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I just finished the part of CS4 where you do the Rivalry fight with Crow, and Rean is like 10x as emotional about this as he is literally anything else in this series. With all the female love interests he's just like "You mean a lot to me" but in this scene he's passionately embracing Crow and yelling "I need you!"

edit: lmao he's literally bound with him in spirit now apparently.
[spoiler]tbf part of that is all the female love interests are optional while crow is mandatory

but also the fans love crow x rean[/url]

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

nice

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ethiser posted:

Finished Ys 9 and I thought it was great. I’d probably put 8 slightly above it, but it was well worth playing. I was really weirded out with the side quest at the very end where all the homunculi in the lab had to die. That didn’t really make much sense.

the quest was setup very strangely i thought, but makes sense if the plan is to ensure that "noone can ever do this again" as in every story like this one.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

the quest was setup very strangely i thought, but makes sense if the plan is to ensure that "noone can ever do this again" as in every story like this one.

There's a double lol in this quest because in the next room there's still all the Rosvita clones in their tanks.

I finished IX and while it was pretty good, I liked VIII more. The story didn't feel as cohesive and resolved way too fast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was expecting a proper final boss gauntlet based on how many ????? left there were in the monster guide but the second form took up three or four of them and that was it lol and the last one was the bizarrely easy secret super boss

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
finished IX last night and agree on the comparisons to VIII. It was fun and I enjoyed the epilogue, but it just didn't feel as good as the last game.

Also played on normal and that was far too easy. Pretty sure I never died or had to heal and blew through the last boss in a manner of minutes. Started NG+ on insane and almost got killed by the first boss in the tutorial, so this should be fun.

Oh and also the alternate costume options are very underwhelming and you can't change the default outfit. You'd think there would be more available after the game being out this long, but I guess there were only so many available in VIII too so w/e.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I loved Y's VIII and I know Celceta is a step down, but was wondering if it was worth getting it anyway? Basically is the game good enough for me to see past the downgrades?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lyer posted:

So I loved Y's VIII and I know Celceta is a step down, but was wondering if it was worth getting it anyway? Basically is the game good enough for me to see past the downgrades?

Yes, Celceta is very good.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

celceta's really meh if you ask me

like i said even 7 held my attention longer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's a good game and if it interests you the asking price isn't much these days.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
One thing I'll say about Celceta as a warning: based on posting in this thread and conversations I've had elsewhere, it handles difficulty levels very badly. It's never going to be hard, just play it on normal.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So I beat Ys IX but I never figured out a use for the nocturne oil materials. Was there something I missed? They weren’t used to craft the legendary gear which is what I was expecting.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SettingSun posted:

So I beat Ys IX but I never figured out a use for the nocturne oil materials. Was there something I missed? They weren’t used to craft the legendary gear which is what I was expecting.

They're used at the doctor to make stat upgrade potions.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ah, I never had a need or desire to craft those so I never bothered to look. Thanks for solving that mystery.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Raise your hand if Rene-Vagullion gave you Ys 1 PTSD flashbacks

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Junpei posted:

Raise your hand if Rene-Vagullion gave you Ys 1 PTSD flashbacks

That one and the centipede boss later on made me straight up yell NO NOT AGAIN

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So... from the ending/credits... it'd be interesting to see Credo appearing alongside Geis. I always thought they should have made Geis the third reoccurring character along with Adol and Dogi. I like him in 6 and 7. At least his credit cameo does seem to indicate he might be reappearing in Ys 10?

But yeah Credo and Geis would be fun to see interact given the former is like "This Adol guy is nuts... I love it!" and "This Adol guy is nuts... I hate it!"

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Wow, pacing in CS4 is a mess. I kept bouncing off it again and again since release. But now, 40 or so hours in, it feels like a CS game. The act 1 gameplay loop and characters did not do it for me, and I like the new class a lot (3 is my favorite CS game). Act 2 seems a lot tighter and I’m enjoying the infiltrations.

Think it’s hooked me again and I can finally finish all the English translated trails games.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ys Origin is a pretty cool game overall, but I'm feeling a bit soured on it after my miserable trip through the Silent Sands: everything except charged fireballs did 1 damage to same-level enemies, while charged fireballs did a whopping 9. Why? Well, as it turned out, I missed a single weapon upgrade chest in the previous area. Once I went back and got it, my damage went from 1/9 to 18/76. Oath in Felghana's scaling was kind of weird, and VI made you grind, but this is on another level: a single optional weapon upgrade made the difference between killing enemies in 6 hits and killing them in 60.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Man, Cold Steel 4 just kind of ends doesn’t it. In both endings. It was nice to get kind of an overview of the political fallout but I was kinda hoping there’d be one more walking around section where we could catch up with all the other characters one last time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm in Act 2 of Part 2 of CSII and I'm getting real tired of all these requests by Thors students that make you run through these long-rear end highways.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

[several minutes and presumably angry customer emails later]

Today I learned that NISA Europe is UK based.

Still don't have my loving GAME though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

[several minutes and presumably angry customer emails later]

Today I learned that NISA Europe is UK based.

Still don't have my loving GAME though.

You mean Japan Number One Software America Europe is in UK?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah. I saw the first email and was shaking my fist at the sky and shouting "BREXXXXXIT" assuming they were based in Germany or something. I suppose the UK really is Europe's America so it makes sense for Japan Number One Software America Europe to be in the United Kingdom.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm enjoying Ys9, gameplay is great and I like the characters, for some reason i'm just not quite as into the game as I was with YS8, something about exploring the Island made it pretty exciting and mysterious, especially trying to find all the stranded people.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Trails of Cold Steel 4 got a PC release date - April 9th.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I wasn't expecting it until later especially since the switch date got announced and there was still nothing about PC, looks like I'm gonna have to be in a bit of a rush to play through 1-3 again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the plus side playing New Game Plus means that you can power through most of the non-story parts of the game, particularly the dungeons by killing most of the enemies in the map not the battle screen.

Since Ys 9 was delayed I played through and completed Memories of Celceta. Solid game although the fact that Celceta contained so many villages that were unaware of the ones further in the forest but all spoke the same language was a little much by the end.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

I'm enjoying Ys9, gameplay is great and I like the characters, for some reason i'm just not quite as into the game as I was with YS8, something about exploring the Island made it pretty exciting and mysterious, especially trying to find all the stranded people.

Getting caught up on this thread, I'm feeling the same way. Ys VIII was my first Ys game and while there were some minor annoyances, I had such a great time with it. Something about the expansiveness and mystery of the island really added to the experience. The basebuilding stuff was basic but added depth to the story and gave the player some great mid-term goals when the story was lagging.

Ys IX is fun but I'm just not getting the same level of enjoyment out of it. No regrets on the purchase but yeah they VIII really knocked it out of park for me, touch act to follow.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm about to begin the last part of Act 2 in Cold Steel II and I wasn't expecting one of the bonding events (the one where Alisa asks to go inside Valimar) and I wasn't expecting it to be voiced, whoa. Makes me wonder if I've missed any other voiced bonding events so far.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm pretty sure that's the only one. It wasn't voiced originally either, it's one of those scenes that got extra voices in the PC port.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sorry if this has already been discussed but has anybody had a chance to check out the Kai versions of Cold Steel I & II that Clouded Leopard put out on Steam?

Also curious if the fan translation community for Zero and Ao have talked at all about attempting to mod a translation into the upcoming Kai versions of those games?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

The Gunslinger posted:

Getting caught up on this thread, I'm feeling the same way. Ys VIII was my first Ys game and while there were some minor annoyances, I had such a great time with it. Something about the expansiveness and mystery of the island really added to the experience. The basebuilding stuff was basic but added depth to the story and gave the player some great mid-term goals when the story was lagging.

Ys IX is fun but I'm just not getting the same level of enjoyment out of it. No regrets on the purchase but yeah they VIII really knocked it out of park for me, touch act to follow.

Finished up YS9 earlier in the week, it gets very good storywise towards the end. I like how the NOX events are much faster paced and less of a grind and the overall gameplay seems faster than YS8. The game seemed pretty easy overall and I played on hard difficulty. I loved using Doll, Raging Bull, and Adol, but the other characters weren't particularly fun to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Sorry if this has already been discussed but has anybody had a chance to check out the Kai versions of Cold Steel I & II that Clouded Leopard put out on Steam?

Also curious if the fan translation community for Zero and Ao have talked at all about attempting to mod a translation into the upcoming Kai versions of those games?

I've been following them since they released the final translation for Zero, and they've said that they're just sticking with the initial PC releases since they're the ones they've been working on for so long. Since they're adding stuff like Turbo Mode to bring them up to speed with the other Steam games as far as QoL is concerned, I can see why. I'd still like to try the Kai versions just to see what all is added though, especially since they apparently added in some scenes with Juna and the SSS so they're relationship in CS3 doesn't feel quite so out of nowhere.

Welp, April 9th for CS4 on Steam? Gives me exactly a month to beat CS3. :shepicide: