Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The PERS office in Atsugi was a bit dysfunctional, much like most of that base. We did originally have a civilian at our command whose job was to process travel claims for the flag staff but he got relocated to Hawaii shortly after I got there, and RUMINT suggested he might have gotten investigated for fraud somewhere down the line after relocating, but after he was gone travel claims took forever to get processed, and remained that way until I left.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my command made doing travel claims a collateral duty for E-5s and supply was the final approvers. it went as well as you would imagine (super poorly)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Can I complain about them axing flat rate per diem?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nick Soapdish posted:

gently caress Mypay, am I right fellas?

An SoF Marine

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So my travel voucher was filled out for feb and march and submitted in the first week of april. As soon as I got to Italy I contacted my kayak he checked on it and said it had disappeared from the system that they would have to resubmit it. I stayed patient for 4 months and then included my chain of command which I hoped would pick up the process as my MC is a beast who knows everyone. However how much it helped I'm not really sure as it only finally just got payed out.

Oh nobody payed out on my three vouchers with car rentals because nobody could be assed to check the 2nd of 10 set of orders to see that cars were authorized. It's being worked on but it's less than a 1k over all.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 12, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I also just randomly got retroactively promoted to 3rd one day 9 months later, when they finally fixed whatever was broken at millington or wherever, by that point the only chief that had ever been helpful in my career who helped me ram the paperwork through was long gone to Japan or whatever so nobody in my chain or command knew.

Just started wearing it when I saw it in mypay and whatever Commander that does our floor scheduling just was like "oh let me change that in the schedule" lol.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Once you're getting paid for it it's a bigger hassle to do anything about it than to just let you wear the crows. A third class in most rates is still a toilet scrubbing peon anyway who cares

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I also just randomly got retroactively promoted to 3rd one day 9 months later, when they finally fixed whatever was broken at millington or wherever, by that point the only chief that had ever been helpful in my career who helped me ram the paperwork through was long gone to Japan or whatever so nobody in my chain or command knew.

Just started wearing it when I saw it in mypay and whatever Commander that does our floor scheduling just was like "oh let me change that in the schedule" lol.

I've heard a fuckton of stories from guys who were in the Air Force in the 60s and 70s say "I found out I got promoted when I went to finance to tell them they paid me too much and finance said 'no, you were promoted, here's the paperwork.'"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just got done with a mission were we had a bunch of marines on board and I just wanted to gather them all up and give them a hug. Poor little guys were so thankful us treating them nicely and feeding them (the night crew dispared for meals since the last time they were on a ship they gave them super lovely left overs). First time I've interacted with a E1-E2 since... uh Hawaii a few years ago.

"Stop calling us sir" lordy the PO crow stuff isn't that hard to recognize.

Suez canal was pretty cool but man that must be a terrible post to stand guard. Those poor soldiers just staring at the desert.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
We give a lot of credit to our crustaceous comrade for telling stories about sides of the Navy we've never seen, but I've been on a ship where people would poo poo on people the way that SpaceSDoorGunner does either. Not that the Navy I've seen hasn't been lovely to its people at times, but not in the same way.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

US Berder Patrol posted:

Once you're getting paid for it it's a bigger hassle to do anything about it than to just let you wear the crows. A third class in most rates is still a toilet scrubbing peon anyway who cares

I think I was on holiday leave when I made E-5. I had fliown back across country to see my folks. My LPO called me when results came out and asked me if I was flying back for frocking which illicited a "lol, no, Im on leave dude". So I missed frocking and I was just in this limbo status. I got paid for it like 2 months later and I got all of my uniforms switched over because I think we were going underway. I think I got one day of "what are you doing you weren't frocked" so someone must have thought they were being cute behind the scenes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Frock or not if its on your pay you can wear it thems the rules gently caress off chief!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ded posted:

Frock or not if its on your pay you can wear it thems the rules gently caress off chief!

Yeah, when I made 1st, it was first increment. My LES sad 01JAN on it for pay date, so I just got all my uniforms changed over. The frocking got delayed past november, past december, so January DWE, I went in with all my first class stuff on, and was told I had to change it out for 2nd class stuff for the frocking. I did so for the photo op and whatnot, but it was still pretty funny.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

Just got done with a mission were we had a bunch of marines on board and I just wanted to gather them all up and give them a hug. Poor little guys were so thankful us treating them nicely and feeding them (the night crew dispared for meals since the last time they were on a ship they gave them super lovely left overs). First time I've interacted with a E1-E2 since... uh Hawaii a few years ago.

"Stop calling us sir" lordy the PO crow stuff isn't that hard to recognize.

Suez canal was pretty cool but man that must be a terrible post to stand guard. Those poor soldiers just staring at the desert.

Marines call everyone "sir." Even people of the same paygrade. It was something I just had to get used to sitting at 5th MEB for the last year.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ded posted:

It was more anecdotal than anything. It didn't cause me any hardship and they certainly didn't stall my BAH Chit, which is basically the only thing that matters lol.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

piL posted:

We give a lot of credit to our crustaceous comrade for telling stories about sides of the Navy we've never seen, but I've been on a ship where people would poo poo on people the way that SpaceSDoorGunner does either. Not that the Navy I've seen hasn't been lovely to its people at times, but not in the same way.

Well I do complain, I’ve been lucky enough to come out of it better. Definitely gave me a perspective that radically altered my view of life and made me care much, much more for those at the bottom of the heap having had to briefly live it when I was Undes. I still have a pretty big chip on my shoulder about the navy that I haven’t been able to let go of, but I’d rather be me than one of the company men that seem to perpetuate the misery. I never got NJPed for something trigal or sexually assaulted or anything really hosed like I’ve seen happen to other junior sailors and I’m coming out with my GI ball, certs that I’ve got on my off time, and no debt. It’s more frustrating for me to see how good of an opportunity the Navy could be for the junior sailors yet seeing dogshit leadership doing nothing to help people out or do anything besides make sure they keep the right amount of warm bodies on shift to round out the schedule. Like I tried to help people get their EMT cert and my chain wouldn’t even send out a loving department email about it, nor route any cool chits fast enough to be done in the 60 day window. It’s that wasted potential all these junior sailors have, with no way to advance or improve your skills beyond basic nursing for the two year rotation on our floor.

gently caress it less than a month!

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 14, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My experience with USN personnel policies was loving atrocious and the NCF is a world unto itself of stupidity and misery, but the culture there in conjunction with USN policy led to people just giving up like, in general. The lifeblood of the Seabees is people who get beaten down and give up and re-enlist. Hoping that the rest of the service isn't like that but it's probably not that uncommon a thing.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

This is what stuck with me after all my Suez transits, always thinking about those dudes out there on those sand dunes, seems loving awful.

e: here's a picture
http://imgur.com/a/MSZHJYz

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 14, 2021

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Had a dream last night that I was at drill and asking people why I was there since I was done a year ago. Wandering around office spaces is a better dream than after leaving the ship and active duty and dreaming I was still at sea

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I don't think I've ever had a travel claim take longer than a month. (n~30)

Maybe you all have bad personnel offices.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lou Takki posted:

This is what stuck with me after all my Suez transits, always thinking about those dudes out there on those sand dunes, seems loving awful.

e: here's a picture
http://imgur.com/a/MSZHJYz

At least those guys get to look at boats.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moroccan_Western_Sahara_Wall

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Welp my final physical was uneventful, they just did a quick by thorough nursing assessment, looked at the form I filled out with all my history and injuries, and just signed it. Weirdly simple.

So I guess my last step is to actually get VA coverage. I think I did all the stuff to apply but I’m not really sure.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

So a few things I’m stressing about that occurred to me-

How do I get on base to my appointments while I’m on terminal leave? Do they let you keep your CAC?

I can’t apply to the VA for health coverage until after I get my DD214 from what I can tell. What do I do to cover myself in the meantime? Can I still use the tricare system while I’m on terminal?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

How do I get on base to my appointments while I’m on terminal leave? Do they let you keep your CAC?

I can’t apply to the VA for health coverage until after I get my DD214 from what I can tell. What do I do to cover myself in the meantime? Can I still use the tricare system while I’m on terminal?

When you're on terminal leave you're just on leave. So you're still in and have all the access and coverage of still being in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Laranzu posted:

When you're on terminal leave you're just on leave. So you're still in and have all the access and coverage of still being in.

So I can keep my CAC?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

So I can keep my CAC?

Why do you need to get on base for appointments when you are on terminal?

I went on terminal leave on January 8th and I kept my regular CAC ID until I found out I got a job on the other side of the country. That's why I went back to the ID Card place on Camp Pendleton and got my retiree ID for me and my family. The only catch there is that my retiree ID isn't good until I am actually retired. So I have a gap from now until April 30th when I can't get back onto a military installation.

Had I not needed to get retiree IDs for insurance purposes, I would have just kept my CAC until it expired.

Edit- You can use TRICARE while you are on terminal leave. Your ID Card is your insurance card. Just don't go signing up for elective surgeries or anything. But if you get hurt or sick and need to go to the hospital, show them your ID and TRICARE should cover things.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 20, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Be a Reservist and get covered by TAMP!

(do not become a Reservist)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm sitting in the middle of a two-day RILC course, and we're spending an hour going over MBTI.

Why the gently caress are they still using MBTI in our leadership courses?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1363195557850845191?s=20

Nope nope nope nope

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You’re also covered by Tricare for six months after your EAOS which I thought would be enough time to get coverage by the VA but I guess not. :v:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Hekk posted:

Why do you need to get on base for appointments when you are on terminal?

I went on terminal leave on January 8th and I kept my regular CAC ID until I found out I got a job on the other side of the country. That's why I went back to the ID Card place on Camp Pendleton and got my retiree ID for me and my family. The only catch there is that my retiree ID isn't good until I am actually retired. So I have a gap from now until April 30th when I can't get back onto a military installation.

Had I not needed to get retiree IDs for insurance purposes, I would have just kept my CAC until it expired.

Edit- You can use TRICARE while you are on terminal leave. Your ID Card is your insurance card. Just don't go signing up for elective surgeries or anything. But if you get hurt or sick and need to go to the hospital, show them your ID and TRICARE should cover things.

Oh easy. I heard somewhere you have to turn it in, never mind then

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Anita Dickinme posted:

You’re also covered by Tricare for six months after your EAOS which I thought would be enough time to get coverage by the VA but I guess not. :v:

Woah what? The taps jko said that only applies to certain people like if you’re med retired or something. How do I verify coverage?

warsow
Jun 28, 2009
The six months of tricare is called TAMP and you are only eligible if transitioning from Active into the SELRES or a few other criteria here.

https://tricare.mil/tamp

warsow
Jun 28, 2009
To double post, it looks like you can get a “Continued Health Care Benefit Program” for up to 18 months if you are within 60 days of losing tricare.

https://tricare.mil/Plans/SpecialPrograms/CHCBP

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Getting online with the VA is pretty quick and painless once you have your DD-214 and you're out, at least in my experience. YMMV but I've had positive experiences with the VA

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Huh I guess I’ll hit up fleet and family services and ask how I sign up for that.

Also, have any of you heard of a terminal leave of less than 30 days being denied? Some master chief in my chain kicked it back and told me to shorten it to 14 days, but my chain has recommend approved it all the way to my chief so there isn’t a case to be made that I’m need on the schedule. I’ve only heard of terminal leave over 30 days being denied to I think he’s bluffing. I’m getting out under very normal circumstances through EETP. Have you ever a terminal leave being denied by the CO?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Getting online with the VA is pretty quick and painless once you have your DD-214 and you're out, at least in my experience. YMMV but I've had positive experiences with the VA

Just now I talked to my family who run a small 10 person business and they said they’ll “hire” me so I get health coverage just in case I have an emergency until the VA does their thing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Oh cool are they the approver? No? Run it back that poo poo isn't their call. loving Chiefs.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Huh I guess I’ll hit up fleet and family services and ask how I sign up for that.

Also, have any of you heard of a terminal leave of less than 30 days being denied? Some master chief in my chain kicked it back and told me to shorten it to 14 days, but my chain has recommend approved it all the way to my chief so there isn’t a case to be made that I’m need on the schedule. I’ve only heard of terminal leave over 30 days being denied to I think he’s bluffing. I’m getting out under very normal circumstances through EETP. Have you ever a terminal leave being denied by the CO?

gently caress him, let the co kick it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah I figured I’d call their bluff. Drives me crazy how every time they “kick it back” rather than just recommend disapproval.