Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It has the Angry Black Woman rebel leader holding a white child hostage and ranting about how they need to murder all the white children while you bang against the window in panic trying to stop her before waifu-heroine teleports in and shoots her to save the white children, then drops the gun and starts crying like "what have I done I'm a monster"

There's very few things in video games that get me more angry then anyone trying to pretend like it Bioshock Infinite wasn't abhorrently racist and completely missed the loving point at every step of the way.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Spazmo posted:

the weirdest thing about Narcos Mexico was that after a few years of seeing the surreal excess of the Colombian cocaine cartels on regular Narcos, Mexico expects you to get worked up about some dudes growing pot. basic rear end weed. who the gently caress makes a show about reefer madness in 2018? IIRC they even had an episode where the Mexican weed growers meet with Escobar to talk about moving cocaine, which is just a reminder to the audience that the stakes used to be much, much higher.

I still really enjoyed all of Narcos, both because of the great performances and the fact that it's mainly in Spanish (which is a treat for an English speaker), but what a missed opportunity to shine a light on the DEA and the war on drugs.

If you watch 'The Last Narc' you'll realise the DEA operations and response to the cartels is so heavily fictionalised in Narcos Mexico that it's pretty much pure fantasy apart from Camarena stumbling on to Quintero's farm.

I don't want to spoil the documentary since it's a whodunnit, but this is the spoiler-free summary: DEA were being paid by the Guadalajara Cartel (not shown at all in Narcos), CIA and the cartel were trafficking drugs and weapons from Quintero's farm to help the contras (again not shown in Narcos), Camarena discovering the farm scared the CIA into arranging the kidnap. The CIA, Guadalajara Cartel and Mexican government were allies and they all decided Camarena needed to fall.

And the bombshell spoilers:

Camarena refused to take money from the cartel
Jaime Kuykendall and the gusano CIA war criminal Felix Rodriguez were involved in arranging Camarena's kidnap
Jaime Kuykendall regularly accepted bribes from the cartel
DEA and CIA killed the investigation into his murder because the investigator - Hector Berrellez - had enough credible sources to point the finger at Felix Rodriguez as one of the kidnapping masterminds.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Rollie Fingers posted:

If you watch 'The Last Narc' you'll realise the DEA operations and response to the cartels is so heavily fictionalised in Narcos Mexico that it's pretty much pure fantasy apart from Camarena stumbling on to Quintero's farm.

I don't want to spoil the documentary since it's a whodunnit, but this is the spoiler-free summary: DEA were being paid by the Guadalajara Cartel (not shown at all in Narcos), CIA and the cartel were trafficking drugs and weapons from Quintero's farm to help the contras (again not shown in Narcos), Camarena discovering the farm scared the CIA into arranging the kidnap. The CIA, Guadalajara Cartel and Mexican government were allies and they all decided Camarena needed to fall.

Yeah, thanks for the tip on LAST NARC. I got most of the way through the first episode. My only gripe is that it seems to invest quite a lot of time and effort into building up Berellez as a cool dude -- there's a good 10-15 minutes in the first episode of him telling stories about times he epically owned people in bars or meetings. But I'll keep watching because I want to see more of the dirt!

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

That part was dumb as gently caress but the rest of the doc isn’t like that. The first episode is a little slow, but the next three get crazier and more and more gripping. It’s certainly not pro-DEA.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

pentyne posted:

It has the Angry Black Woman rebel leader holding a white child hostage and ranting about how they need to murder all the white children while you bang against the window in panic trying to stop her before waifu-heroine teleports in and shoots her to save the white children, then drops the gun and starts crying like "what have I done I'm a monster"

There's very few things in video games that get me more angry then anyone trying to pretend like it Bioshock Infinite wasn't abhorrently racist and completely missed the loving point at every step of the way.

in the dlc it's retconned as the luteces telling her to threaten child murder to ~preserve the timeline~ or some dumb poo poo

also the entire ending climax of infinite involves killing nearly infinite waves of vox populai for no reason other than the devs ran out of plot

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm pretty sure Take2 got tired of Levine's dicking around and sent a fixer down to the studio to staple together everything that they had into a shippable state. tons of stuff that they showed in previews got flushed down the toilet during that process.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

uber_stoat posted:

i'm pretty sure Take2 got tired of Levine's dicking around and sent a fixer down to the studio to staple together everything that they had into a shippable state. tons of stuff that they showed in previews got flushed down the toilet during that process.

can't find the post but this guy's from this very forum and also said that Elizabeth was much younger from the get go and he put the kabosh on that poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1360241135914991619

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
so belated thoughts on a brief history of seven killings the part of the book i was at when i made my post was basically the peak of gratuitous homophobic commentary it dropped off almost immediately afterwards and only reappears later in the book in the context of actual gay characters so the statements are no longer gratuitous theyre actually relevant

aesthetically parts three four and five are much better than parts one and two to the point im honestly not really sure why parts one and two are in the book at all in addition to being much harder to read due to the intense dialect and overly similar characters the events that actually define the backstory for parts three four and five are never actually described in parts one and two nor are they clearly implied parts three four and five basically play like a mystery of trying to figure out what the gently caress happened on the day bob marley got shot and nearly all of the relevant exposition from parts one and two is repeated in parts three four and five in a way thats much more effectively contextualized

so in summary i was a little harsh on the book but i still feel comfortable saying its overrated as a final cspammy note i thought the parts where pages are spent explaining why powder cocaine is not as bad as crack cocaine and how this is even used as a plot point was weird as loving hell and i was left scratching my head why a gay black jamaican man felt the need to emphasize this way back in 2014 long before anyone felt the need to pretend like the war on drugs was good just because joe biden said so

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
another belated observation i got around to finishing the second season of the boys and im appreciating the subtle effective critique of suburbia in that beccas idealistic notions of the suburbs as synonymous with good mothering create as many problems as they solve and are shown in parallel to not really be that meaningfully different from homelanders experiences with parental figures

its a really good modern critique too not this wandavision bullshit of the imagined distant past you can practically smell the brunch and becca being presented as a sympathetic character otherwise really helps get across the fact that shes not a bad person but that rather people in toxic situations often cant see the warning signs a cultural statement thats paralleled with several other characters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished "Framing Britney Spears" and there's some minor crack-pings in there about how the conservatorship placed over her has been turned into a business venture that reminded me a lot of Stanislaw Lem's The Futurological Congress, and placed within the context of similar cases such as with Kesha, has some rather darkly foreboding implications on the relationship and personhood of celebrities vis-a-vis management.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Only poo poo righteous gemstones.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I still can't get over how freakish the people on Its Always Sunny wound up looking (except for Charlie). Dee looks like Fergie now and Mac turned into a roid monster. Dennis appears to be slowly transform into a smooth monster.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It's a good thing leftists have never professionally suffered for their beliefs! No one attempting to unionize has ever been threatened with professional or personal violence, or have such violence enacted upon them!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lib and let die posted:

It's a good thing leftists have never professionally suffered for their beliefs! No one attempting to unionize has ever been threatened with professional or personal violence, or have such violence enacted upon them!
Please don't minimalize the suffering of conservatives, the most persecuted group in history!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

We live in a society

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I still can't get over how freakish the people on Its Always Sunny wound up looking (except for Charlie). Dee looks like Fergie now and Mac turned into a roid monster. Dennis appears to be slowly transform into a smooth monster.

I mean, the show's set a record for longest-running sitcom or something, they aged

well, mac became ripped because it would be funny, but other than that

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

World War Mammories posted:

I mean, the show's set a record for longest-running sitcom or something, they aged

well, mac became ripped because it would be funny, but other than that

Danny Devito looks more normal than most of the cast.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

danny devito visited the same witch that transformed zizek from raccoon to man

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
https://twitter.com/jakebrodes/status/1360656711208603650?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/4eyedRaven/status/1360983468058894336?s=20

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
It's incredible to me that there is so, so much discussion and drama around such a boring franchise/director, especially when the additional material is clearly a bunch of slow dramatic zooms and bad cgi action figures slamming into one another to pad the run time

Check back next year for the exact same cultural debate on Guy Ritchie presents: Naruto, or whatever

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Snyder has a new zombie movie coming out too. How does he make time to produce all this trash lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Guy Ritchie owns kind of. sometimes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

Snyder has a new zombie movie coming out too. How does he make time to produce all this trash lol

This might be good. Dawn was good.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

indigi posted:

Guy Ritchie owns kind of. sometimes

I don't know. He hasn't owned for a while.

Mr Hootington posted:

Sucker Punch was what Citizen Kane should have been.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Sucker Punch was what Citizen Kane should have been.

Incorrect, Sucker Punch was not in academy ratio. Justice League will correct that oversight.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah, Dawn Of The Dead is his only good film, and I love the Zombie genre, too — so I might be biased here.

And why does CineD have TWO Snyder threads now? :dafuq:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DanteDevils posted:

because we live in a society

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

yeah Dawn of the Dead was good. It's amazing how different it is from Snyder's other stuff

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It's because he was remaking a much better movie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DanteDevils posted:

Yeah, Dawn Of The Dead is his only good film, and I love the Zombie genre, too — so I might be biased here.

Because all the fart huffers who haven't liked any tv/film/book since the 00s ended love Zach snyder.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I didn't mind 300. I'm sure its terrible to watch as someone older than 16 though.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

what is soy dialogue

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gh0stpinballa posted:

what is soy dialogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA91u4D_Ytc

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Mr Hootington posted:

Because all the fart huffers who haven't liked any tv/film/book since the 00s ended love Zach snyder.

https://twitter.com/fevered_earth/s...ingawful.com%2F

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
trying to figure out where that should be ranked in the comic pantheon that also includes supervillains crying for nine eleven and the joker being too much of a red blooded american to tolerate working for a nazi

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
sa is the only place online where its not universally accepted that zack snyder is cringe and its so loving weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

sa is the only place online where its not universally accepted that zack snyder is cringe and its so loving weird

well, if it's normal on the internet...