Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Electric Wrigglies posted:

yeah, if you don't appreciate pictures on menus, you have not pushed the boat out enough on travel or trying different food. That along with or at least the basic ingredients listed but assume you can't read the local language.

Last week I had atkilt wot on inerja, chicken kedjenou, beef bulalo, poisson avec alloco et legume, sisig, beef with sauce grein and pahtaht (not sure the spelling on those but the sauce is based on pine nuts and the pahtaht sweet potato leaves), Korean bbq with side dishes I don't remember the name of but definitely some kimchee and tofu soup, sashimi/sushi, tasty arse street cooked poisson et ateki (you could just say you want fish but you will get just plain grilled fish and plain rice instead of the grilled fish with the tasty spicy onion side dish and granulated casava). Admittedly most of these were home cooked but I had tried most of these before at restaurants and there are plenty of meals that will be confronting if you just pick randomly (14 day balut anyone?).

Anyway the point is photos of the above in most instances will give you a good idea of what is worth asking follow up questions in broken local language with the server. When you have an idea (and know how to pronounce) what you want to repeat on, then you go to the even more local places that don't have menus and you can try asking for what you want to see if they have it.

fatass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah. The guy doesn't want to marry her, he spent money on insulting her instead of proposing. She should dump him and move on.

Makbet it was a dumb way to test the waters of how much she expecting from the marriage. Like, okay if you are cool with me not listening and also not really caring any more than now then sure let's get married. If you throw a fit then naah.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Fatty posted:

AITA for not giving my adult son a job in my company because of his attitude?

Talk about burying the lede.

Nta

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Makbet it was a dumb way to test the waters of how much she expecting from the marriage. Like, okay if you are cool with me not listening and also not really caring any more than now then sure let's get married. If you throw a fit then naah.

If only there was a better way to do this. Shame it's illegal to have an honest conversation about your expectations from a relationship.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

yeah, if you don't appreciate pictures on menus, you have not pushed the boat out enough on travel or trying different food. That along with or at least the basic ingredients listed but assume you can't read the local language.

Last week I had atkilt wot on inerja, chicken kedjenou, beef bulalo, poisson avec alloco et legume, sisig, beef with sauce grein and pahtaht (not sure the spelling on those but the sauce is based on pine nuts and the pahtaht sweet potato leaves), Korean bbq with side dishes I don't remember the name of but definitely some kimchee and tofu soup, sashimi/sushi, tasty arse street cooked poisson et ateki (you could just say you want fish but you will get just plain grilled fish and plain rice instead of the grilled fish with the tasty spicy onion side dish and granulated casava). Admittedly most of these were home cooked but I had tried most of these before at restaurants and there are plenty of meals that will be confronting if you just pick randomly (14 day balut anyone?).

Anyway the point is photos of the above in most instances will give you a good idea of what is worth asking follow up questions in broken local language with the server. When you have an idea (and know how to pronounce) what you want to repeat on, then you go to the even more local places that don't have menus and you can try asking for what you want to see if they have it.

:goonsay:

What the gently caress are you talking about? This is an incredibly dumb take. This is a whole new level to the debate on menus with and without prices...no no garcon I'll take the menu with picture please.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
We're really overdue for some kind of smilie about how goons will take food derails so long we literally had to make a subforum to argue about fast food in.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My [F30] partner [M44] doesn’t want me to live with him until I get a job

quote:

Titles not the best. We both live in my rented house with our daughter who started school in September. He has his house up for sale and plans to buy one as soon as it sells (next month or so) but he doesn’t want me living with him in the new house until I get a job.

I worked up until the week before I gave birth but decided to be a stay at home parent until she started school. When she was fully at school (9am-3pm) is when I planned to get a job to fit around school hours as my partner works from before she starts til way after she’s finished, leaving me to get her there and pick her up.

First of all I didn’t realise how hard it would be to find a job that fits around school, I don’t know how other parents do it. Secondly she hasn’t been at school since before Christmas due to covid, and doesn’t look like she’ll be going back until at least March, so even with sending my cv to every job possible even if I got an interview I have 0 childcare to even attend let alone work. I have mentioned about getting a night job but not only am I uncomfortable with them hours my partner works all day and doesn’t want to come home and look after the house/child too.

What can I do? I know the world situation isn’t helping, but is there anything more I can do? We have a great relationship and are very happy, but this is something that I feel really isn’t in my hands at the moment.

TLDR I need to get a job or we’ll end up living separately.

No info as to when they started dating or how old the kid is.

DICAP!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

My [F30] partner [M44] doesn’t want me to live with him until I get a job

No info as to when they started dating or how old the kid is.

DICAP!

Very happy with this man who avoids our child and wants no part in the parenting of said child.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

It might not be his kid, according to the only other post by that account

Paternity test

quote:

TLDR Have a left it too long for a paternity test?
I feel like the backstory is relevant so I’ve tried to keep it short

When I found out I was pregnant I was not in a good place, drugs/drink/toxic relationships. My partner at the time was cheating (N), and I had also cheated (with D), N at the time, and still, doesn’t know.

I was in an even worse place a few months later when I found out I was pregnant, N and I had broken up and I went for a termination of the pregnancy - to find out I was 28 weeks gone and past the legal amount of weeks which they can do a termination.

Due to how pregnant I was and my rough few months I had no idea who the father was. I contacted N and told him, and the only option I had in my head was giving the child up for adoption at birth. N agreed, but both our families were against it and I couldn’t tell them there was a chance the baby wasn’t his, I didn’t want to risk it.

Fast forward 3 months and as there were no early scans it wasn’t 100% whether this Baby was full term, premature or just a small baby, so dates really are a mystery.

I delivered and had the social worker waiting in the hospital to take the child away - I couldn’t do it for the childs sake, but both families were excited and I felt like I’d never really had a choice.

So I was in a lovely relationship where I wasn’t treated like a human being, but i was terrified of being a single parent. So I stayed with N throughout all the lies and cheating for almost 2 years.

I finally kicked him out and managed to drag myself through depression to be a good parent.
I reconnected with D and told him everything, we are both in much better places and have been in a happy relationship for 2 years.

The paternity has caused a few issues and anxieties between D and I, and N continues to be a half arsed parent who refuses to pay child maintenance, child stays with him twice a month and child comes back almost feral, unwashed and is just really hard work. D is a very loving and caring man who adores this child as his own anyway.

I have the tab open ready to pay for a paternity test, if it comes back N has always been the father - it won’t get mentioned and life will continue. Obviously I’d be gutted.

If D is the father I don’t know what will happen, child is now 4 and aware of the world and the last thing I want is her to hurt. And I would still be gutted.

E: for those who don't want to do the math, she was 26 and her current partner was 40 when she cheated on her ex and ended up pregnant with the child (who is currently 4, and who waas parented by her and her ex for 2 years and her and the new guy for 2 years).

HazCat fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 14, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Honestly sounds like nothing to lose here? If D is the father, great. If N is the father, you're in the same place you were before.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for walking out on my D&D group mid-session?

I appreciate that this person used their real account instead of a throwaway. Hopefully her loser toxic friends will see it, and see that the judgment in her favor was universal.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It is totally normal to think your boss is about to pull a box cutter on you if you are the type of person to pull a box cutter on your boss.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
edit: beaten

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Soylent Pudding posted:

I only know two people who own Nazi items who aren't closet (or not so closet) Nazis. So I guess it's okay if either your granddad pried it off some Nazi's corpse or you're an actual WWII historian with a collection.

I’m like 1000 pages back but I have an Italian officer’s pistol that my dad’s stepmother’s father-in-law took off the corpse of a fascist he killed in Italy and it rules.

Boy I can’t wait until I make it to Jan 6

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

God I miss my local burrito place. But they took a VERY long time to shut down indoor dining and I didn't see anyone wearing masks. Pretty much killed my faith in their sanitation standards during, you know, a pandemic.

But my stomach still rumbles remembering them wide-as-your-fist greasy burritos... :negative:

Try to guess what the buried lede is in this r/legaladvice post!

Fired By Job After Saying I'm Going To HR

Guys I was fired for going to HR. Can I sue the company for damages or get unemployment? Just a little extra info: I did pull a knife on my boss

It keeps getting better

quote:

I was on a military base. If that helps any.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much the assumption with the fanciest places is that you know exactly what you're getting before you walk in the door.

Somewhere there is an amazing eatery whose meals, prices, location and name are all closely guarded secrets.

A pop up with a price fixe menu? This probably exists.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Who eats in restaurants with pictures on the menu?
Me? A lot of local Asian restaurants (Thai, Chinese, other) have laminated menus with photographs. I find them very helpful. I see these menus in restaurants with substantial non-white clienteles, too. Korean restaurant next to the 99 Ranch, that sort of thing.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

HazCat posted:

It might not be his kid, according to the only other post by that account

Paternity test

E: for those who don't want to do the math, she was 26 and her current partner was 40 when she cheated on her ex and ended up pregnant with the child (who is currently 4, and who waas parented by her and her ex for 2 years and her and the new guy for 2 years).

She's updated after this, D is the father.

I know I must be sheltered or something, but what's with all of these men who are in relationships with the mother of their children, and refuse to live together as a family?

Also, shrimp fajita guy has a ton of comments and other posts and sounds like a gigantic rear end in a top hat in other aspects of his life too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Shrimp fajita guy needs to get with not enough asparagus girl, then they can go around to all the restaurants and complain when their food doesn't look exactly like the pictures on the menu or Yelp.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

wizardofloneliness posted:

Shrimp fajita guy needs to get with not enough asparagus girl, then they can go around to all the restaurants and complain when their food doesn't look exactly like the pictures on the menu or Yelp.

OTP

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah you know me

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm sure I'd be disappointed if I was expecting 50% shrimp and got like, 10% shrimp. But actually causing a fuss about it is very whack. I'd just file it away mentally, don't expect that much shrimp if I order this dish.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Most restaurants will shortchange you on shrimp compared to the other meat options. Remember that the word "shrimp" is both singular and plural

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Invisible Clergy posted:

Who eats in restaurants with pictures on the menu?

Everyone, that's how menus are for lots of restaurants and diners.

Edit:

Das Boo posted:

You get menu pictures in places like IHOP, Applebee's, and Pizza Hut.

Dang, you mad about this. There are a lot of independently-owned restaurants and diners in my city that put pictures on the menus, especially like Somali and South American restaurants so white people can see that the food isn't scary, or to generally show off. People can make menus with pictures on their home computers, like drat: it's not all Denny's and McDonald's.

Haulin Oates fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 14, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Haulin Oates posted:

Everyone, that's how menus are for lots of restaurants and diners.

Good point. You can have Waffle House up until cockroaches rule the earth, and even then they'll probably open their own mini-Waffle Houses.

God, I miss Waffle House.

AITA for refusing to both cook and clean to cater to my husband's dietary needs?

quote:

I (34F) and my husband ("Paul" 35M) have been married for a little over 2 years. We have no kids. Now, I know this is not how it is in every home, and I say do whatever floats your household boat - but here, if one cooks dinner, the other cleans. Turns out, Paul is not a gleeful cook, and would rather clean. So almost all of the cooking falls on me (with the occasional take out).

And then - COVID. Paul works out of the home as an essential worker. I WFH. When it was September-Octoberish, Paul comes to me and says he wants to eat healthier. Great! I love the man. I'd prefer he'd not have a heart attack. But Paul, my lovely Paul, of course had to take it to the 1003rd degree. He's trying all sorts of fad diets. And I mean ALL sorts.

I've done my best (in my opinion) of complying with these ever-changing diets. It's only one meal per day. And besides, it can be fun finding recipes to match whatever weird criteria Paul has this week. This might be a me thing, but whenever I try a new recipe or one I'm not too familiar with making - I tend to be messier when cooking. I mean, it's one thing to kind of auto cook the pasta recipe you've been making for years, and it's another to be like, "oh crap, why are there lemons on the counter?", "here, let me scroll through this woman's grandfather's apple orchard essay to see where I use the lemons...oh it was step 3 and now I'm on step 7...what's this about flour now?". So now there is lemon juice in my eye, behind my contact, and I'm trying to retro-flour this piece of meat.

This is the problem: Paul came up to me Friday night and said that he doesn't think it's fair that I am so careless with mess when cooking - it makes his job so much harder. I reiterate. The man said the word "careless". Both syllables. Like he wasn't a human with an ability to logically guess the future consequences of one's actions. I took a second & said, "Before we continue, what do you see as the benefit of your bringing up this conversation with me?". And Paul, God bless his little duckling soul, goes "well, if you would clean up, say, half the mess, while cooking or right after, it would make my job so much easier." And I asked, "Will you do half the cooking?" And he said, looking me dead in my eye, "well...no."

I know I can be messy with cooking, using multiple pots/pans/bowls etc. - like I said, especially when I'm cooking something new. But in my defense, I have to learn something new all the time because Paul comes to me with things like "Hey, I am now going to try to avoid tomatoes and peppers, because Tom Brady said they're intestinal or inflammatory or whatever" (who cares).

My proposal was that we stick to the original. He either cooks or cleans. I don't intentionally make a mess but I do intentionally try to meet his diet needs. He says that because I work from home, for fewer hours, that taking steps to clean up along the way or take "a first swipe" at cleaning after cooking is a good marital compromise. I refuse.

OP is being passive-aggressive, but IMHO it's justified.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 14, 2021

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I live in a really diverse city in Canada. It's great just picking a cuisine and being able to try something new, and pictures help a ton and are common in restaurants here that serve food that your average bland Albertan might have never heard of before. I only associate it with cheaper restaurants when it's typical American/Canadian food.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking for my shrimp?

Sounds like someone's youngman wasn't shrimpy.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Good point. You can have Waffle House up until cockroaches rule the earth, and even then they'll probably open their own mini-Waffle Houses.

AITA for refusing to both cook and clean to cater to my husband's dietary needs?

OP is being passive-aggressive, but IMHO it's justified.
Yeah, she's doing a lot to help with him trying different diets. I think he's underestimating the degree to which that makes her portion of the work harder.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I went looking for content just so I could say this: This besmirching of tiny local taquerias and their terrible photo menus will not stand. You'll take my delicious $2 tortas from my cold, fat hands.

Anyway, look at this wiener.

quote:

Am I (M19) Obligated to show up to my Gf (F20) birthday party?

To start off today is my girlfriends birthday. This morning I took her out to a super fancy breakfast gave her all of the gifts I got her, we both had a genuinely good time. Her plan has always been to throw a party tonight which I have planned on attending (since we live together).. and she kind of expects me to. Because of it being her birthday I’ve paid for everything for the party, in total in the past week I’ve spent almost $1000 on her for her gifts and party she’s throwing at our place (I am by no means wealthy). The issue is... today I found out all who is showing up. Her friends are all about the party life, they drink and smoke like crazy, I do not like surrounding myself with people like that, to be honest her friends are very immature and I don’t like them but I keep my mouth shut. All I’m asking is, am I in the wrong if I choose not to attend the party, based on the fact I do not want to be around alcohol in the hands of underage people and people smoking (all of which is illegal)?

TL;DR Am I in the wrong not attending my girlfriends party because of the underage drinking and smoking that will be going on

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HMS Beagle posted:

quote:

She spent time with covid online dating and now that things are back to normal in our area she's out and about so much more now.

Sure is funny how everyone in r/relationships is posting from New Zealand.

Das Boo posted:

Honestly, I feel like the nicer a restaurant is in the States, the less info they're willing to give. No pictures, no descriptions... no prices...

The trend among nicer restaurants has been to actually describe the food on the menu, which is nice. If you put salade niçoise on a menu a picture helps, but if the menu item is fresh greens dressed with mustard, tuna and hard boiled eggs on the side there's no need for a picture.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I live in New York and eat fancy and/or ethnic food and sometimes it has pictures and the presence or absence of pictures is not a reliable indicator of quality.

AITA for not taking my son to my mother after i found out she has been going through my kid's phone?

quote:

Throwaway because my son has a reddit and i don't want him to see that i have ongoing problems with family. Also english is not my native language

So a bit of context, I(36F) have never been close to my mother. She was verbally and emotionally abusive, constantly disregarded my privacy, and got mad at everything i did. When she found out i was bi at the age of 17 by reading my messages, she kicked me out. I went no contact for quite a while until i had my son (now 15M), it took some convincing from my sister and aunt but i decided to let my mom see her grandson. I don't really talk to her, cause i can't forgive everything she put me through, but she is a great grandmother and my son and her get along very well.

On to the story, i was working late so i left my son to my mom and took off. When i came back to pick him up, i saw that woman going through my son's phone while he was upstairs watching tv. I started screaming and asking what she was doing. She said that she was parenting my own kid and said that she was being responsible by making sure he doesn't "end up like me". I take the phone away from her hand in an instant and take my son so we can leave.

Later that night after my son was sleeping i called my mother, screaming at her and saying that she had no right to go through his private stuff, or to tell me how to mother my own child. She got angrier, and said i was ungrateful and that she was only trying to help. However, i think i might also be the AH because i am refusing to take my son to my mother rn and i don't know if that's the right decision.

btw, my i did talk to my son about this one specific incident, and he also is ok with not going to his grandma, he just doesn't know the story behind me and my mom

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The real marker of quality is a little plastic model of the food at the counter

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The real marker of quality is a little plastic model of the food at the counter

In the window. What are you, some sort of barbarian?

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Cockroach Waffle House! Can you imagine it? Tiny cockroach grill, tiny cockroach coffee cups, little bitty spatulas and forks! Cockroach fry cooks who refuse to make the cockroach customers their eggs the right way and get into fistfights tarsus tussles over it every week. (Of course, the coproaches just don't bother to answer calls about fights at Cockroach Waffle House)

Haulin Oates fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 14, 2021

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Aramoro posted:

:goonsay:

What the gently caress are you talking about? This is an incredibly dumb take. This is a whole new level to the debate on menus with and without prices...no no garcon I'll take the menu with picture please.

You don't have to go to a restaurant with pictures on its menu if you don't want to and evidently Invisible Clergy also thinks it's below adults to do so but I just think that opinion is hoity-toity elitism. I say that as someone that's enjoyed invite only, no menu, no prices, no bill at the time (it goes onto your host's account), individual room overlooking Nagoya restaurant eating the best sashimi of my life.

I didn't think that saying that I find it useful to have pictures on a menu with unfamiliar dishes (especially if I can't read the local language or script) is useful to me would be so offensive.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I know intellectually that there are people that don't like weird hole in the wall ethnic food with pictures that are a uniform shade of yellow regardless of content but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Invisible Clergy is a machine that only produces bad takes.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Haulin Oates posted:

Cockroach Waffle House! Can you imagine it? Tiny cockroach grill, tiny cockroach coffee cups, little bitty spatulas and forks! Cockroach fry cooks who refuse to make the cockroach customers their eggs the right way and get into fistfights tarsus tussles over it every week. (Of course, the coproaches just don't bother to answer calls about fights at Cockroach Waffle House)

Wouldn’t this just be a sequel to Joe’s Apartment?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You don't have to go to a restaurant with pictures on its menu if you don't want to and evidently Invisible Clergy also thinks it's below adults to do so but I just think that opinion is hoity-toity elitism.

I agree, but I also think "if you don't [X] you haven't traveled enough" is also kind of elitism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellblazer187 posted:

I agree, but I also think "if you don't [X] you haven't traveled enough" is also kind of elitism?

To be fair, they started by saying that OR being adventurous with food general. You don't need a ton of money to patronize a new restaurant or try different cuisine in your area