Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Isn't "let's do a trust fall" like 1/4 the fun of a multi person Souls stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The SBFP DeS stream had the Scraping Spear guy and that makes it beyond reproach in my book. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
On the other hand the Demon Souls stream had German Spy making a super not cool joke about refugees that all the boys rightfully sandbagged

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I just wish the DS3 LP didn't gently caress with the formula for no reason. Matt being there threw off the whole vibe that was so perfect for all the rest of the Soulsborne LPs.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

but: matt absolutely losing his poo poo at skeleton ball...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Woolie realizing Pat played ahead and was pretending he hadn't during the Bloodborne LP is in the Top Ten Most Awkward SBFP moments

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm enjoying the Reggie/Woolie DeS playthrough, it helps a lot Reggie is really endearing, and while I appreciate Woolie trying not to spoil things, his hints are actually really kind of annoying sometimes. (When he was trying to point out the attack pattern of fools idol) but that might have been because I was in Reggie's position of not fully understanding what Woolie was trying to spell out.

Omi no Kami posted:

Souls games have this weird thing where, like, obfuscating mechanics is baked into the early games' DNA, and I have ton of friends who love it, but for me and a bunch of people I know, understanding the wtfs of the core mechanics was the big building block. I started with DS1 and had a friend go "Okay, here's how it works: you eventually want endurance to 40, vit to whatever, then either dex or str to 40. Don't bother with magic on your first playthrough, only screw around with stat allocations once your damage stat and end are maxed out. If you get lost, look at item descriptions." That was enough to get me past, like, 75% of the frustration, and random nudges in the right direction got me the rest of the way there.
Pat going over how to build/what stats are good went a long way for me (the other piece being Woolie making it look easy) - I don't think the stat system was the sole, or even a big reason I got pushed away, but Pat spelling it out, sort of felt like I was being told a secret like how to do the inverted song of time in Majora's Mask.

Like, almost certainly stats was not the linchpin that was holding me back, but the sense that I had some piece of knowledge that I didn't before was enough to get me to try again.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I'm enjoying the Reggie/Woolie DeS playthrough, it helps a lot Reggie is really endearing, and while I appreciate Woolie trying not to spoil things, his hints are actually really kind of annoying sometimes. (When he was trying to point out the attack pattern of fools idol) but that might have been because I was in Reggie's position of not fully understanding what Woolie was trying to spell out.

Pat going over how to build/what stats are good went a long way for me (the other piece being Woolie making it look easy) - I don't think the stat system was the sole, or even a big reason I got pushed away, but Pat spelling it out, sort of felt like I was being told a secret like how to do the inverted song of time in Majora's Mask.

Like, almost certainly stats was not the linchpin that was holding me back, but the sense that I had some piece of knowledge that I didn't before was enough to get me to try again.

Yeah... a lot of the experience from Dark onwards can be explored freely without loving yourself over... the only place I really had problems in my first game was with the style of exploration and progression they wanted- my brain just couldn't grok the interlinked backtrack-after-key-event stuff, so there were a few cases (the depths and sen's fortress, mainly) where after beating a boss I knew I'd unlocked progression somewhere, but genuinely couldn't figure out where the heck the game wanted me to go. But once I'd gotten over that initial hump, it became really easy to keep a mental map and start making notes of "Okay, locked door here, says <bleh>, next time I trigger an event or get a key item that mentions bleh I should double back."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just want to say that woolie very clearly reading off names and places from a list of random ff14 bullshit that someone has given him, and he very obviously has no idea what any of it is, while pat is talking about ff14, is maybe one of my favorite running bits ever

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Captain Invictus posted:

I just want to say that woolie very clearly reading off names and places from a list of random ff14 bullshit that someone has given him, and he very obviously has no idea what any of it is, while pat is talking about ff14, is maybe one of my favorite running bits ever

That podcast preview where Pat is rambling on about FFXIV in the background while Woolie looks like he's about to die is :discourse:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's weird to think that Pat had a full on public 14 FC for a while. And it wasn't a complete price of poo poo either despite what you would expect, albeit Pat acted like how you would expect whenever people tried to do poo poo together.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ChaseSP posted:

It's weird to think that Pat had a full on public 14 FC for a while. And it wasn't a complete price of poo poo either despite what you would expect, albeit Pat acted like how you would expect whenever people tried to do poo poo together.

as someone who got in there pretty early and rose to minor prominence by idling in extremely stupid places in the guildhouse for days on end, Pat was never really the problem as I could see - it was mostly the people that were becoming his actual friends/raid group getting big heads

but even then it was EXTREMELY tame and chill bigheading compared to mmo drama I've seen

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Rody One Half posted:

I mean it's partly that Matt was sick of Pat but let's not gloss over the part where Matt still had a larger share of the money than anyone else did

It's almost always some form of this. Every Youtube group I knew that broke up had several reasons but money was always the main one.

MorningMoon posted:

I thought the timeline of Woolie and Liam stuff was Nier Automata which ended just around the time the channel did

I double checked but that LP almost took a year so it started before the channel ended and finished up months after it was over. It was sorta bad in that Liam was coaching Woolie probably worse than he's coaching Reggie in DeS now, mainly because Liam hadn't played the game in over a year and kept forgetting stuff that caused them to miss fan-favorite side quest lines and the like. When people pointed this out and tried to help he took it personally, got mad about backseat gaming or whatever, and refused to look anything up going forward. I guess it's not really the worst, but it was a lot more annoying to watch.

Oxyclean posted:

It doesn't help that Woolie is trying to explain the harder to notice tell that I think is the one he first noticed and thus assumes is the only one despite the biggest, most obvious tell being the individual life bars, which he only mentions because chat screamed at him when he was explaining stuff after the fight. The whole time he was hinting at an obvious tell I think most of those watching assumed it was the health bars thing cause it was stupid obvious and Reggie sorta commented on it once without it clicking somehow.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Brightman posted:

I double checked but that LP almost took a year so it started before the channel ended and finished up months after it was over.

I checked it yesterday and the final episode went up like a week before the end of the old channel, and a few days after the channel's end Woolie did a stream tackling a few sidequests.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Ah, my bad. i just checked the last video in the playlist and that was actually a best of anyway. I don't think I watched the stream, looking at it now and Liam isn't there.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

listening to the aegis rim spoiler cast because i'm never gonna play that game, and boy, pats brainworms are in full force at like 5 hours in. why care about any character in the game if you refuse to talk about the npc's because "they arn't real people :downs:. none of them are loving real, its a video game, so why talk about the game at all then!

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Roobanguy posted:

listening to the aegis rim spoiler cast because i'm never gonna play that game, and boy, pats brainworms are in full force at like 5 hours in. why care about any character in the game if you refuse to talk about the npc's because "they arn't real people :downs:. none of them are loving real, its a video game, so why talk about the game at all then!

Yeah, this was especially dumb because up until this point I was agreeing with him pretty hard. Literally a big, BIG point and theme of the game is that the AI are still people, and no less valid than the 15 main characters. All of the adult versions of the characters are just AI of themselves from previous loops who uploaded themselves to Sector 0 and appeared in the next loop as UC managed constructs. Even so they still had personalities and goals regarding the Sentinels and Project Aegis and pushed the story along. Hell, Okino's weird pseudo-personality situation was that he was basically an AI that was operating wetware instead of hardware. After DD-426 he was literally a human-shaped sack of meat with an AI program in his brain. Transumanism was a big, BIG theme in the game and I can't believe that Pat beat the game, enjoyed it and somehow completely missed that.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Reggie met Patches.

I went exactly how you expect.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm catching up on Reggie VS and I still can't believe Woolie took the controller from Reggie cause he was so tilted about him trying to use consumable items. That's the kinda line ya just don't cross in an LP. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Overlord K posted:

I'm catching up on Reggie VS and I still can't believe Woolie took the controller from Reggie cause he was so tilted about him trying to use consumable items. That's the kinda line ya just don't cross in an LP. :v:

Woolie denies the church, but the church never left him

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Haven't reached that part yet, but I'm excited to see Reggie's reaction to such a crime.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like fighting games and DMC have poisoned Pat and Woolie against healing items.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 14, 2021

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

it's insanely annoying whenever they talk about items in character action

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Overlord K posted:

LMAO that is incredible

Flamekid
Dec 27, 2012

Spicy
didn't woolie make this huge overwrought point on the podcast that he would be very hands-off and only gently coach when needed

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This was always going to hinge on Woolie's definition of "when needed".

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like it was a good bit.

Particularly because Reggie went on to say he was using a firebomb at that moment specifically to annoy Woolie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Woolie: this spoilercast wont take lomg, i already got most of my thoughts out
My podcast player: 1 hour 50 mins remaining.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie, on Mass Effect 2 asses: "Well yeah you know obviously this will always be a thing with changes like the Demon Souls designs-" oh gently caress off that's not what this is about and you know it, it's about chuds, it's all about chuds, It's basically only ever about chuds, because gently caress video games and everything else chuds try to control

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rody One Half posted:

Woolie, on Mass Effect 2 asses: "Well yeah you know obviously this will always be a thing with changes like the Demon Souls designs-" oh gently caress off that's not what this is about and you know it, it's about chuds, it's all about chuds, It's basically only ever about chuds, because gently caress video games and everything else chuds try to control

Pat at least pushes back on him there going "No dude that original game literally was just putting the camera in her rear end in a top hat."

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pat at least pushes back on him there going "No dude that original game literally was just putting the camera in her rear end in a top hat."

God I can remember loling at those loving camera angles when that game came out. It's just so distractingly bad.

How are people upset that the dutch angle rear end shots are getting taken out?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Do you fully appreciate how utterly broken thesr people are? They've spent so long neck deep in culture war bullshit videos from guys with names like GamerDefenceForce and TheRantingAryan that they don't have any other frame of reference to interpret the world any more. See a minority? Something changes to sexualise a woman slightly less? Woke agenda! Censorship! SJWs are trying to destroy video games by complaining about gratuitous teenager upskirts!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

didn't everyone make fun of how bad the rear end shot when m2 first came out anyway

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

a cartoon duck posted:

didn't everyone make fun of how bad the rear end shot when m2 first came out anyway

This is why I'm confused.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

they hated gina carano when she showed up in mandalorian, too

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Miranda rear end shot is bad enough to be very funny so it should be preserved

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

This is why I'm confused.

Here in the states, we have things called Republicans

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Tae posted:

Here in the states, we have things called Republicans

I somehow forgot republicans merged with gamergate. I've been very checked out of video culture for a while.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGlWi_WxmY
New compilation for one of their best lp's, ah those were the good days of the channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

These people will switch sides at a whim for the sake of fighting the culture war.

https://twitter.com/vadimnewquist/status/1359728848166862848?s=19

It has nothing to do with the actual material.