Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

I like the PTSD stuff in Iron Man 3, I like the Mandarin stuff, there's a lot I like in it but I think it has kind of a lame end villain and I don't really feel the finale. Its fine but I think a bit jumbled.
From accounts, the studio didn't want the Extremis Lady to be the big bad so they shoved Killian in there.

I do think K should have had something of a side-effect from the Extremis. Some gross-rear end Resident Evil body horror poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I dunno, I thought seeing Superman’s dying breath travel across the world in a literal wave was kinda neat. As I said in the other thread tho, I’m not holding out hope that this’ll be good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/RoseLuxemburg1/status/1360999892106309632
lol

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Ok, that was a parody trailer right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol "we live in a society"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's interesting how the "lol too deep for me crowd" are now overcompensating by analysing everything.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

No one's problems with those films are that they're "too deep", the opposite in fact.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Retrowave Joe posted:

I dunno, I thought seeing Superman’s dying breath travel across the world in a literal wave was kinda neat. As I said in the other thread tho, I’m not holding out hope that this’ll be good.
Yeah that gives good reason for Lex's "bell has been rung" speech, which until this was assumed to be the deleted scene with him using the ship computer to reach out and contact Steppenwulf.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Karloff posted:

No one's problems with those films are that they're "too deep", the opposite in fact.

That's the paradox they live.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
1. oh my god Snyder actually had Leto Joker say the line
2. why the hell is all the marketing for this in 4:3

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

lol "we live in a society"
https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1360986485718138885?s=20

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I wish that movie would get a bluray release

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I watched with the sound off and subtitles on. The opening said (DRAMATIC MUSIC) so I'm just going to assume it's poor Leonard's 'Hallelujah' again.

It sounded like one of those angsty slowed down covers of No More Heroes by the Stranglers.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Barry Convex posted:

2. why the hell is all the marketing for this in 4:3

The Quibi legacy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Retrowave Joe posted:

I dunno, I thought seeing Superman’s dying breath travel across the world in a literal wave was kinda neat.

If he had that kind of lung power, he should've just blown Doomsday off the planet.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
oh my god I'm hearing on Twitter that the actual thing might be 4:3 because that's the IMAX aspect ratio and Snyder doesn't want to cut out anything he put in the frame for IMAX, but that can't possibly be true, can it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

oh my god I'm hearing on Twitter that the actual thing might be 4:3 because that's the IMAX aspect ratio and Snyder doesn't want to cut out anything he put in the frame for IMAX, but that can't possibly be true, can it

I have also heard some version of this but it's so backwards I can't comprehend it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Isn't the IMAX ratio still widescreen, just different than the cinema standard? I'm pretty sure Nolan's similarly anal about that in the Dark Knight films and those scenes just display letterboxed in the home release on a widescreen TV.

If nothing else, if it IS 4:3 there's gonna be tons of people complaining to HBO Max because they don't understand why the movie is pillarboxed on their TV.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
$70 million to have Jared Leto “we live in a society” us and follow it up with “Isn’t that right, BATmaaaaaaaaan?” :laugh:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Holy poo poo if this is actually 4:3 that will be so loving dumb.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Why?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's been confirmed for ages as being IMAX ratio, which is 1.66:1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

...Isn't the IMAX ratio still widescreen, just different than the cinema standard? I'm pretty sure Nolan's similarly anal about that in the Dark Knight films and those scenes just display letterboxed in the home release on a widescreen TV.

If nothing else, if it IS 4:3 there's gonna be tons of people complaining to HBO Max because they don't understand why the movie is pillarboxed on their TV.

IMAX is 1.43:1, so a bit wider than 4:3 but well short of 16:9.

Edit: That’s IMAX film cameras. IMAX digital is 1.90:1.

The movie may be at 1.66:1 as Vince says above, but that’s not IMAX ratio then.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 14, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's a taller ratio 1.43.1 and would be pillar boxed to appear on a widescreen TV accurately. The Blu Ray releases for the Dark Knight would transition from a letterboxed ratio during most of the film to a full-screen for the IMAX sequences. That means on the blu-ray those sequences were a bit cropped, which was a good trade-off rather than having the blu-rays transition from letterboxed to pillarboxed which would be more jarring. Some home releases for The Dark Knight (the DVDs not the blu ray) just had the whole thing in letterboxed, I assume they do that on broadcast TV/streaming as well.

An IMAX ratio for ZSJL is a bit of an odd choice as this is a film that is gonna be mainly viewed at home, but then again the whole marketing for the thing is that it's the pure vision and if that's what he wants that's what he gets. Perhaps it will get a theatrical IMAX release down the road which would be the proper venue for the ratio.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I am an eternal optimist and I hope the Snyder Cut is enjoyable. I'm going to give it a shot.

That trailer is awful, though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I wish that movie would get a bluray release

I wish it would get the Criterion Collection treatment.

Tom Green would've been a fantastic Joker back in the day.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I wish it would get the Criterion Collection treatment.

Tom Green would've been a fantastic Joker back in the day.

It would be glorious

I had him fancasted as riddler back in his prime, but yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dunno what the hell imax being 4:3 is about, watching imax movies on my tv and they're generally the only scenes in film that actually display on the whole screen instead of being letterboxed. so like, ty chris nolan for that

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

i dunno what the hell imax being 4:3 is about, watching imax movies on my tv and they're generally the only scenes in film that actually display on the whole screen instead of being letterboxed. so like, ty chris nolan for that

In those cases, they are cropping some of the IMAX shots to keep from going letterbox to pillarbox. IMAX theater screens are basically square.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Snyder cut looks awesome. Here's hoping it does well enough to get a sequel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vince MechMahon posted:

In those cases, they are cropping some of the IMAX shots to keep from going letterbox to pillarbox. IMAX theater screens are basically square.

okay i guess idgi then, is the internet saying that hbo is gonna show it entirely uncropped, or is the complaint that it was filmed in imax 4:3 at all

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So in BvS, Batman has a vision of a horrible future, and that pushes him to try and kill Superman, but then he realizes he's wrong.

Then in Justice League, he has a vision of a horrible future, and that pushes him to assemble a team of heroes? But like, shouldn't he be thinking "I was wrong last time and I'm probably wrong this time and someone or something is loving with me so maybe I just sit this one out" or something?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

okay i guess idgi then, is the internet saying that hbo is gonna show it entirely uncropped, or is the complaint that it was filmed in imax 4:3 at all

The internet is upset that they're putting it up uncropped because they are the same people who bought full screen DVDs cause letterbox "didn't take up the whole screen." Or they do understand it but are pretending they don't cause this is an easy target.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

site posted:

I believe it will be pillarboxed on hbomax to preserve the ratio.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jamesman posted:

So in BvS, Batman has a vision of a horrible future, and that pushes him to try and kill Superman, but then he realizes he's wrong.
What? No, that's not what happens at all.

Batman has a vision of a future where Superman has fallen to corruption and Superman himself confirms that it's the eventual death of Lois Lane that pushed him to fall.

He's already wary of an alien interloper because he can't see something that powerful having a human side or connection. Superman's concern for another person (the Martha scene) knocks him out of his fear/prejudice and has him realize that his aggression is unfounded.

The plan for the films would have been:
Batman pushes the league to attack Darkseid in JL2, fails
Lane perishes under Bruce's protection
Superman becomes an agent of Darkseid
Flash goes back to prevent the attack and warn the league, securing Lois and saving Superman. Batman dies a heroic death.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

Then in Justice League, he has a vision of a horrible future, and that pushes him to assemble a team of heroes? But like, shouldn't he be thinking "I was wrong last time and I'm probably wrong this time and someone or something is loving with me so maybe I just sit this one out" or something?

I dunno man. Looks like in this movie it's a good thing he doesn't think to sit this one out cause Darksied is coming. But I can't always think like comic characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gatts posted:

Snyder cut looks awesome. Here's hoping it does well enough to get a sequel.

The 8 different abusers in it could really use the work.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

FilthyImp posted:

From accounts, the studio didn't want the Extremis Lady to be the big bad so they shoved Killian in there.

I do think K should have had something of a side-effect from the Extremis. Some gross-rear end Resident Evil body horror poo poo.

He should have become MODOK!!! AIM wasn’t nearly campy enough

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Aphrodite posted:

The 8 different abusers in it could really use the work.

Riiiiiiiiggghhhttt...I'm sure they'll add Jeremy Renner as Green Arrow to make it 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FilthyImp posted:

What? No, that's not what happens at all.

Batman has a vision of a future where Superman has fallen to corruption and Superman himself confirms that it's the eventual death of Lois Lane that pushed him to fall.

He's already wary of an alien interloper because he can't see something that powerful having a human side or connection. Superman's concern for another person (the Martha scene) knocks him out of his fear/prejudice and has him realize that his aggression is unfounded.

The plan for the films would have been:
Batman pushes the league to attack Darkseid in JL2, fails
Lane perishes under Bruce's protection
Superman becomes an agent of Darkseid
Flash goes back to prevent the attack and warn the league, securing Lois and saving Superman. Batman dies a heroic death.

When does Superman confirm that? Because I don't remember that at all, and the Knightmare makes no sense if it's actually supposed to be a premonition about Superman.