Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I saw this said earlier but this thread makes me so loving happy I work for the government.

Goddamnit, page snipe huh? Okay, content.... content content... umm?

Okay, so its nearly goddamn impossible for my shop to get money to buy what we need, even when what we need is required to install a new piece of hardware that was in planning for several years, and is vital to the operation of the entire organization. Need $12,000 for a power supply to power a different thing that, again, allows the entire organization to fulfill its reason for existence? Good loving luck! Why is your shop so over budget this year? Why do you suddenly need money for parts? etc etc etc.

I'm lucky we have a massive hoard of random bullshit and spare parts from similar organizations upgrading their systems and allowing us to take their old parts away from them. We just got rid of the last windows 95 device this year! Very exiciting.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Wrr posted:

I saw this said earlier but this thread makes me so loving happy I work for the government.

Goddamnit, page snipe huh? Okay, content.... content content... umm?

Okay, so its nearly goddamn impossible for my shop to get money to buy what we need, even when what we need is required to install a new piece of hardware that was in planning for several years, and is vital to the operation of the entire organization. Need $12,000 for a power supply to power a different thing that, again, allows the entire organization to fulfill its reason for existence? Good loving luck! Why is your shop so over budget this year? Why do you suddenly need money for parts? etc etc etc.

I'm lucky we have a massive hoard of random bullshit and spare parts from similar organizations upgrading their systems and allowing us to take their old parts away from them. We just got rid of the last windows 95 device this year! Very exiciting.

Does your agency do that thing where if budget isn't spent in the fiscal year/biennium whatever, your budget is subsequently cut afterward? Therefore the dude who cuts corners budget wise fucks you when deferred maintenance projects rear their ugly head.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pinus Porcus posted:

Does your agency do that thing where if budget isn't spent in the fiscal year/biennium whatever, your budget is subsequently cut afterward? Therefore the dude who cuts corners budget wise fucks you when deferred maintenance projects rear their ugly head.

I don't know who came up with this design for a "budget", but holy poo poo is it the dumbest thing ever.

Our facility had some of the best tech available because at the end of the year they'd be like "gently caress, we need to spend our budget, quick, buy everyone a new monitor or something idk"

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

lol they're trying to ram through an exception where companies can't be held liable if all their employees die of covid so good luck with the lawsuit or trying to find a different job

Wait they're still doing that? I thought that poo poo was shut down.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Zarin posted:

I don't know who came up with this design for a "budget", but holy poo poo is it the dumbest thing ever.

Our facility had some of the best tech available because at the end of the year they'd be like "gently caress, we need to spend our budget, quick, buy everyone a new monitor or something idk"

I worked for an agency where our safety and risk budget had a 30,000 surplus at fiscal year end.

Spent it all on backboards literally loaded with medical supplies: splints, bandages, quick clot etc. It was not a medical centric agency, but man the first aid program was rocking after that! Probably could have spent it on useful PPE, but oh well

Sucks to be on the side where the manager is "fiscally responsible," therefore doesn't spend the budget for 5 years and fucks you over down the road though!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

frogge posted:

Wait they're still doing that? I thought that poo poo was shut down.

dunno how to read or find the actual bill tbh.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Update on Meetings-free Fridays: I have some training coming up, scheduled to take 2 weeks. Now I haven't had a day off since before Xmas so I booked the week off after my training. First proper retraining I've had for three years, project management stuff, all virtual, of course. Got my wife to book the time off as well. But oh wait, people pointed out that this means we'd technically be having meetings on the Friday, so they've cancelled the training for the two Fridays and it will stretch the training out into my holiday instead. So now I need to cancel and rebook my holiday, plus my wife does as well. So the first lesson for project management: just do what you like, change timelines on a whim and don't worry about other people, cheers guys!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Missed a phone call because I was taking a poo poo. They end up calling newest department member next for help. Newest department member, naturally, has no clue what to do despite working in our group for a year and a half, and calls me up and asks me how to do literally the most basic task that our department does. This is like a Taco Bell employee needing help on how to make a regular taco, or a painter needing help opening a paint can. It’s truly baffling how this person is just apparently completely fine doing absolutely nothing and learning nothing and never trying to learn how to do our job, or if they are shown once, the next time they are somehow forced to do it, do it so much time will have passed that they forgot.

Like god drat just loving grab a department support email and say in the slack group that you’ll respond to it or something. Learn how to do your job and ride the loving bike. You have been shown these things so many times, just do the god drat job. Our department is very all-hands-on-deck and we all have to be capable of doing everything but this person is totally invisible. Why in the hell did HR hire this person and put them in the most technical department in the company when they know nothing about technology? Christ

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Volmarias posted:

I feel like you could have just written this part, and all of the rest would just be implicitly implied. I'm actually surprised these people can even function in the world.

They're both unmarried sons of very wealthy families, so they'll live at home and basically live as they did as teenagers until either they get married or decide they want some more autonomy. Currently, they're both taking a third hesitant stab at university (and failing out, perhaps deliberately, since they both lucked into their dream jobs but probably are too chicken to tell their parents they don't want to go to school anymore). This situation really isn't super unusual for people here, but it's absolutely mystifying to all the foreign staff members (all three of us).

The misogyny I mind less than when my boss gets too busy to review my work directly and asks them to "help." Then they delete my writing and re-write it in "their voice." Then I, as the person hired to eliminate "their voice" because "their voice" does not sound like that of a native English speaker's, have to go through an re-re-write everything. WHY IS THE GAME DELAYED, OH, I DON'T KNOW!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was assigned to review data in a system. It is input by another entire company and reviewed directly by the regional office. You may think, thats silly why are two people reviewing the data?

Well I can't see the data because Ive never been given a login to the system so I just verify that I got an email saying the data is in the system.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

AHH F/UGH posted:

It’s truly baffling how this person is just apparently completely fine doing absolutely nothing and learning nothing and never trying to learn how to do our job, or if they are shown once, the next time they are somehow forced to do it, do it so much time will have passed that they forgot.
Related: So much time has past that I've forgotten.

Scenario: Co-worker PMs me a question. I drop everything to explain under the assumption that it's a blocker and that of course as I'm explaining how to do the task, they're actively following along and doing it. The conversation ends with them writing 'Thanks!"

A literal week later, an accusatory: "That didn't work!"

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm currently on a project that is in a phase where we have to have 6-8 hours of meetings a day with the customer and then another 6-8 hours a day of actual work. It's just the reality of how these things work and I, and my fellow co-workers, have seen this cycle many times and accept it. This week we were under a crazy deadline to finish up our main deliverable, and had just left a meeting where we were told by a project manager "do whatever it takes because this deadline isn't going to move." We went into our next meeting, where a newer employee who wasn't part of the previous conversation asked "when I book my time do I just put in 8 hours for the day or do I put in the actual 12-14 hour number?" The same project manager responded "you should not be working more than 8 hours a day, you are expected to maintain a healthy work/life balance."

Even though I know that's code for "you put in 8 hours you stupid fool" it was still pretty maddening to hear those two statements back-to-back like that. I really wish more tech folks weren't so anti-union.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

InternetJunky posted:

I'm currently on a project that is in a phase where we have to have 6-8 hours of meetings a day with the customer and then another 6-8 hours a day of actual work. It's just the reality of how these things work and I, and my fellow co-workers, have seen this cycle many times and accept it. This week we were under a crazy deadline to finish up our main deliverable, and had just left a meeting where we were told by a project manager "do whatever it takes because this deadline isn't going to move." We went into our next meeting, where a newer employee who wasn't part of the previous conversation asked "when I book my time do I just put in 8 hours for the day or do I put in the actual 12-14 hour number?" The same project manager responded "you should not be working more than 8 hours a day, you are expected to maintain a healthy work/life balance."

Even though I know that's code for "you put in 8 hours you stupid fool" it was still pretty maddening to hear those two statements back-to-back like that. I really wish more tech folks weren't so anti-union.

This isn't a salaried position?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Full Metal Jackass posted:

This isn't a salaried position?

It is, but time is still tracked against projects and tasks. In the past we recorded everything worked and would often get time-in-lieu (maybe not at a 1:1 rate but it was still a good amount). Everything changed when we were bought by an American company, where I guess being in a salaried position means you are expected to work way over 8 hours a day without complaint or compensation.

For comparison, when I started with this company in 1996 we got paid overtime even though it was a salaried position. Strangely enough, very little overtime was needed because managers actually built timelines around 8 hour days. As soon as the overtime went so did the 8 hour days.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I was assigned to review data in a system. It is input by another entire company and reviewed directly by the regional office. You may think, thats silly why are two people reviewing the data?

Well I can't see the data because Ive never been given a login to the system so I just verify that I got an email saying the data is in the system.

Reminds me of a job I had back in the early 2000s.
Worked for statistics gathering department for Northern Ireland government as lowly IT guy.
Once a fortnight we had to dial into some place in Oxford on a specially set up laptop and upload analysis of data collected.
The laptop was windows 3.1, 56k modem, and I had to manually load the analysis with a few floppy disks beforehand as it was quicker than trying to loving network the thing.
Basically this ancient laptop was just set up and just assigned to the lowest (me) with step by step instructions on what to do.

So I keep sending the data as required, until we had something corrupt them, not sure what I forget.
So we phone up Oxford to tell them the last set sent was corrupt, and they had no one who had an idea what we were talking about.
Turns out we were sending data for something that ended 5 or so years before.

Edit: Forgot to say, if we MISSED sending it, we would get an email from Oxford asking where it was. Was an automatic one turns out.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

My job had a secret channel for swingers run by our terrifying floor manager. Once we found out about it, it started to make a lot more sense why they were like, 2 or 3 employees she wasn't absolutely horrible to.

Our fire alarm went on the fritz and wouldn't stop going off for a full day. When it started, we waited outside for an hour until said manager told us to just go back in and keep doing our job (most of the people in that building are on calls all day, lol). They got it to stop a few hours later, everyone cheered, and then five minutes later it started right back up.

One time a guy was found dead in the building and the place was swarming with cops, but nah, it's cool, go about your business. Nobody got anything done because we were all too busy trying to figure out if it was someone we knew.

I think one of the worst things they did was introduce "karaoke Fridays". Again, in a job where 90% of the floor is on the phone the whole day. I heard it was very fun to explain to angry elderly people several times a day why some dude is singing You Oughta Know very loudly while we're trying to figure out why your stuff's busted.

This is of course in addition to the normal dysfunctional workplace stuff, bullying workers who complained about sexual harassment into leaving, multiple ever-changing channels of communication, hilariously outdated software, the absolute worst support you could ask for, that kinda thing. If you weren't being laid off, you'd get corralled into the auditorium while floor manager gave the same speech, crying at the exact same point every time, while everyone else found pink slips on their desks. This happened five times in the year I worked there.

Oh, one more thing, the support line had one thing going for it: the couple of women they had working there were incredible. You'd call, they'd fix it in five minutes or less, done. Any man you got would gently caress around for 15-20 minutes googling the issue, saying they couldn't fix it, and ultimately making you figure it out yourself over the day. I did something stupid once when a coworker asked me for help with support, and said "if you hear a dude's voice, hang up and try again."

I got roped into a round table with HR for my sexist comment and received a written warning for my misandry. Ended up leaving to live in Krakow, best decision I ever made.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Missed a phone call because I was taking a poo poo. They end up calling newest department member next for help. Newest department member, naturally, has no clue what to do despite working in our group for a year and a half, and calls me up and asks me how to do literally the most basic task that our department does. This is like a Taco Bell employee needing help on how to make a regular taco, or a painter needing help opening a paint can. It’s truly baffling how this person is just apparently completely fine doing absolutely nothing and learning nothing and never trying to learn how to do our job, or if they are shown once, the next time they are somehow forced to do it, do it so much time will have passed that they forgot.

Like god drat just loving grab a department support email and say in the slack group that you’ll respond to it or something. Learn how to do your job and ride the loving bike. You have been shown these things so many times, just do the god drat job. Our department is very all-hands-on-deck and we all have to be capable of doing everything but this person is totally invisible. Why in the hell did HR hire this person and put them in the most technical department in the company when they know nothing about technology? Christ

Is this the person who said the mobile banking app on their phone is their favorite technology

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AHH F/UGH posted:

A couple jobs ago I had a coworker, Irene, who had been with the company for 35 years and had been working this one product line for the last ten, so she was considered trustworthy and knowledgeable despite being a little off. Near the end of my time there my team was losing people to other departments as everyone in the company was trying to find "safe" spots in the face of a coming purchase and restructure. One of these people had a million dollar quote out to a customer and it got accepted after she left, so Irene volunteered to handle the actual purchasing and shipping as I (the only other sales person left on the team) was already swamped and she didn't have much else going on.

Two years earlier when I was hired the company had moved from a mainframe system to SAP for quotes, inventory and orders. My experience with SAP was what got me that job. You couldn't be a salesperson in the company if you didn't use SAP. Irene was somehow different. Her product line was entirely rebuilds; the facility that did the rebuilds was responsible for ordering materials and arranging shipment, she just had to issue work orders, which required a single SAP function, where the standard process was Quote -> Sales Order ->Purchase Requisition -> Purchase Order for the rest of us. She only admitted this when she had spent three months not ordering a single thing on the most important contract we had going and she couldn't make more excuses about lead time or shipment issues. Literally broke down in tears in a meeting with the team manager. She had no idea how to actually order a part and send it to a customer. Instead of asking for help, and I was ten feet away the entire time - her husband worked in the company and managed people who ordered parts, help was available. She just pretended to be doing things all day every day and lying about her progress until the house of cards collapsed. Shortly after she admitted to loving up hard she got moved into an office because people were fleeing the company en masse and those left were sick of hearing her run her dog rescue organization from her desk all day. Fail upwards, kids.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Tetramin posted:

Is this the person who said the mobile banking app on their phone is their favorite technology

lol Yep. Of course. The one who knew someone in the company and that's why she was hired. I heard that she was actually the 4th out of 5 candidates that they wanted to hire, but #1 said the money wasn't good enough, #2 and #3 had office experience but were kind of grannies who had no clue what we were doing, and she at #4 had zero experience besides a grocery store, but knew someone in the accounting department. I don't get it but alright.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I still think about how nice it was to break into my field with no relevant experience because someone gave me a chance. But then again I already basically knew the poo poo I needed to know and demonstrated that in the interviews, and worked my rear end off to absorb all the knowledge needed when I started. Finding yourself in a good job for the first time since a grocery store should be huge motivation to learn to swim, so I don’t get that at all.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Tetramin posted:

I still think about how nice it was to break into my field with no relevant experience because someone gave me a chance. But then again I already basically knew the poo poo I needed to know and demonstrated that in the interviews, and worked my rear end off to absorb all the knowledge needed when I started. Finding yourself in a good job for the first time since a grocery store should be huge motivation to learn to swim, so I don’t get that at all.

Exactly the same thing here. I was told when I went in to accept the position and get the details that I was their first choice out of 12 candidates. I went to the same high school and university as my supervisor, and we're all from the same city, so I had the correct pedigree as well. Before my interview I had done some surface level research on the products they listed in the job application so when I came in I was able to say "hey that's X product, alrighty" or whatever, kind of basic interview research. They asked me that same technology question and I think I talked about Tesla and self-driving cars or something like that. I think I came across as a normal, reasonable human who had a long history of being a computer toucher hobbyist from a young age (like most goons), and so that was enough. My previous experience wasn't related to tech at all but I had the right mindset and hobbies and whatnot to be able to show I was capable.

This is a massive company with thousands of employees so they usually just need people with a heartbeat who can show up sober and complete the extremely minimal amount of work that is the common denominator of a giant company, and that's usually good enough, just someone who pulls the levers and stamps the paperwork. I consider myself a bargain in that sense. I learned to swim but that's because if I hadn't, I can't imagine how guilty I'd feel first of all, and second how loving bored I'd be.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I love my current job, it pays well, there's a clear career trajectory, and plenty of opportunities to build skills I don't yet have and take on some leadership roles. It's busy, and as a company we're still trying to find the sweet spot between too many and not enough meetings, but the culture is great and everyone treats each other well so it's a minor nit.

Two jobs ago, though, I was in the most toxic company I'd ever been in. The original company was run by a hardcore billionaire Scientologist, I mean, this guy gave more to the church than anyone in Hollywood, and he incorporated Scientology into the corporate culture. It was fairly ham-fisted but honestly compared to the rest of the culture, that wasn't even a big deal. He actually was a really nice guy. When the company was acquired by Huge Pharma Company, he personally made $3B off the sale, and bought 10 Teslas (this was back in Model S days when Teslas were still a status item) to give away in a drawing (I didn't win one) as a farewell gift. He had arranged a corporate coup back in the day by pumping millions of his own money into stocks that were worth pennies at the time, and successfully built the company up so that it ended up being worth $19B to Huge Pharma.

So, a year into my time there, suddenly I'm reporting into Huge Pharma. Only my department reports directly into Huge, because otherwise Huge Pharma wants Little Pharma to run as it has been for the first three years after acquisition. Huge fires all the higher-ups in my department and replaces them with their most-hated management. Huge also decides that tenured employees like myself are overpaid because Huge operates in Lake County, IL, whereas salaries are much higher where we are living in the bay area, so employees like myself are not eligible for salary increases. In three years I received one 3% COLA and they restructured bonuses so that no one actually gets the full bonus. I average around 3% as a bonus rather than the 10% I should be getting, considering I hit every one of my corporate and personal goals.

Anyway, the first year of new Huge management is a disaster. Everyone hates the new guys because, well, they're assholes. They were moved here from Lake County because they were hated there too. So the yearly mandatory "anonymous" employee survey shows a massive disapproval rating. Only one person out of 11 gave management satisfactory marks. (Side note, they put my friend on a PIP for the dumbest reason ever, she completed the PIP period and did everything they asked, but they pushed back on her so she quit because she'd ended up getting a better offer from a different company. They offered her an extra week of vacation to leave early, because they knew the employee survey was coming out and didn't want her input. Joke's on them, she figured out how to do it anyway and gave scathing reviews.)

So HR calls us all into this meeting to demand we explain our "anonymous" reviews and why we hate management so much. During this time we're trying to implement something called "Ways We Work" which is a set of six principles like "clarity" and "courage" and "respect." While HR and management are calling us out for the survey results, we're all staring down at the conference room table, not wanting to speak. I mention timidly that one of the points in the survey is that none of us feel safe to speak up without retaliation, and that demanding we break anonymity with management present in the room was unlikely to work, the head of the department sneered at me, "well, that's not very courageous, is it?"

Years later this same head refuses to talk to anyone except the asses in IL he has to kiss, everyone still hates him, and he tells new associates that they will never have the title of "Counsel" because they don't have the right "pedigree" if they went to the (highly regarded but not T1) local law school. He went to UMich, a good school, but not exactly Harvard. He didn't even acknowledge me on my last day, and he only came out of his office when there was birthday cake (which he took a slice of but never bothered to wish anyone a happy birthday). Oh, and he got a woman in my department fired because she went to HR when he sexually harassed her.

Here are a few other examples of the culture:
I'm on a call with my door shut, and I have a small window next to my door, blinds closed. A stakeholder wants to check on something, so she emails, I don't answer right away because I'm on a call, so she comes over to my building and hammers on my door. I open the blinds and gesture to my phone, and she continues to bang on the door, trying to open it (I've got the door locked because this has happened before.) She finally goes away but not without a number of phone calls, emails, and notes asking why I didn't answer her. My phone call was about 20 minutes. And what she wanted to check on was to see if I'd emailed someone back yet. I had, and she was cc'd on it.

One of our older employees had a bad case of short-man syndrome. Besides being a misogynistic piece of poo poo (when I bought an old MTech e30 I mentioned that I'd gotten a good deal on the car, and he said, "oh, I know you women, can't pass up a sale." Which...what? I bought a car, not a pair of shoes at Macy's), he hated that he now had to report to a younger man who also had a bad case of short-man syndrome. His new boss pissed him off one day, I guess, so he started calling HR with threats that he was going to kick new boss's rear end, so he got fired and banned from the building. This guy also decided to book weekly meetings with me so I could "teach him about intellectual property." I was a junior lawyer and he wasn't a lawyer at all, but he decided since I went to a law school that specializes in IP that I could give him a crash course or something. He was also convinced that upper management was listening in on our conversations and would write notes to me if there was something he didn't want "them" to hear. As crazy as that sounds, he wasn't totally wrong--there were instances of bugging and spying in the early days.

Management decides everyone below director level doesn't get an office anymore, so we're all shuffled into cubicles. Never mind that we spend half our day negotiating on confidential phone calls. We have to lobby to have a spare tiny office dedicated to the legal team so we can take confidential calls.

My boss was so neurotic because she reported directly into the hated management, she was on a call one morning at home, when her dog just up and died (it was really old). Her teenage daughter came in and started crying and her mom just told her to shut up because she was on a call. This was a multi-department call she wasn't actively participating in, but it was somehow very important that she pay attention rather than, you know, burying her dog or comforting her kid.

Because of the cubicle situation, it was very hard to concentrate, so some of us would go to other buildings to work where it was quieter, but my neurotic boss decided if you were on campus, you had to be at your desk. No more visiting quiet spaces to do your work. Get earplugs if it bothers you that much!

We were allowed to work one day per week from home, but we had to switch off days so only one person was physically absent from the office per day, and we had to switch off days every six months. Because god forbid three people work remote on the same day. And if you weren't immediately responsive on your WFH day you got an earful. A colleague got yelled at for missing a call because she was pooping.

My neurotic boss would be hours late for a meeting because she got stuck in another meeting, but instead of rescheduling, cancelling, or letting people know what was going on, she would just let you sit in an empty conference room and wait. My colleague was sitting in an empty room for two hours waiting for her to come to their weekly 1:1 at 4:30 on a Friday. I was getting up to go home when I hear her breeze into her boss's office, saying "oh, don't worry, [my coworker] can wait." She finally got around to meeting him at 5:30, three hours late, and kept him there till 6:30. Just to go over his tracker of tasks.

I had to leave early one Friday because I was going on a trip and I moved a meeting back to 2 pm so I could leave by 4. She showed up at 3:45 and was like "okay, let's look at your tracker." She wanted to go over the whole thing even though I kept saying I had to leave at 4 on the nose to make my trip. She kept saying "wait wait one more thing!" and finally I just closed my computer and walked out. I had just gotten a verbal offer for a better position making twice the salary and had had enough. The only reason I didn't give notice on the spot was because I hadn't signed the formal offer letter yet.

When I DID give notice, she kept putting me off so I gave notice two days later than I wanted to, then she tried to keep me the full two-week notice period, saying it was standard, which it is, but not required. Because of her delays, that would've put my last day as Thanksgiving, when the company was shut down. At that point I really should've made my last day the Monday after Thanksgiving so I could get paid for the holiday, but I was over it and wanted out.

I gave honest feedback in my exit interview and I'm 100% certain it got back to management.

I know this is a lot of bitching and moaning, but writing it out has been so cathartic. That place messed me up for years and I'm only now feeling comfortable sticking up for myself and disagreeing with people at work.

Edit: oh god, I forgot. I was in jury duty and my neurotic boss was blowing up my phone, demanding I answer, when she knew phones weren't allowed in the courtroom during selection. I ultimately got a peremptory dismissal, but I spent three days in the jury box, texting her back on breaks to reiterate that I can't be on call when I'm in an actual courtroom where no phones are permitted.

I could literally be on fire and she'd be freaking out about why I wasn't answering my phone right away. This was not a company phone, btw, they reimbursed a portion of our cell phone bill, but this was our personal phone.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 15, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Does this thread give anyone else anxiety?

You poor loving people.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Does this thread give anyone else anxiety?

You poor loving people.

i like this thread because it keeps reminding me that despite my struggles, at least i dont have to deal with this bullshit for 40-60+ hours a week lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Its not exactly motivating me to find a real job. I think I'll go back to bartending or something, nothing in an office has been fun and by the sounds of it, it could have been much worse. Maybe I'll try out for the fire department?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’ve had a few office jobs now and all of them can be frustrating and have problems, but some of the poo poo people posted here is just heinous. Like the stuff you know happens, but unless you experience it, it doesn’t quite seem real. Like I would think I’d make myself find something else if I ended up in an environment like that, but job hunting sucks so badly that people will put up with an incredible amount of abuse for a very long time. I’m sure I’d be one of those people.

I’m really lucky my direct coworkers and supervisors are for the most part reasonable people who look out for their employees

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I hate my job but I don't actually have to deal with that much bullshit (compared to others), the benefits are good, and I mostly just gently caress around and do nothing. I could be way worse off then I am.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

One thing I am grateful for about my pretty-alright job is that I’m no longer a servant. When I was working in restaurants and poo poo I had to basically be someone’s slave, like you as a bartender. I’m glad I no longer have to pretend to be nice or care about anyone else (most of time time). Working in an office you don’t need to ‘act’ quite as much as you do at a retail or food job, and that’s a huge benefit on its own.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i like this thread because it keeps reminding me that despite my struggles, at least i dont have to deal with this bullshit for 40-60+ hours a week lol
Same.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Charles Bukowski posted:

Its not exactly motivating me to find a real job. I think I'll go back to bartending or something, nothing in an office has been fun and by the sounds of it, it could have been much worse. Maybe I'll try out for the fire department?

It's really hit or miss. It took me ten years of hopping office jobs before I found one that I actually like with a company that at least tries to do right by the employees. There's still frustrating days and things that make no sense, but it's a million times better than coming in every day knowing I was going to get overburdened and blamed for the smallest things even if I wasn't involved in whatever it was.

I have multiple friends who are FD. It's a weird job a lot of the time due to the hours and on-call stuff, but they like it and feel like they're doing something positive each time they go out.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

There is a metric fuckton of bullshit that goes along with office work, but in almost all cases it offers much better compensation, is much healthier (not being on your feet hauling stuff back and forth for 8 hours a day, even if the "stuff" is food and drink), and is way less work than anything in food/hospitality service.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Maggie Fletcher posted:

The workplace equivalent of a Zdzisław Beksiński painting

Not gonna lie, that place sounds horrible and I'm glad you moved on.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Thanks, me too! Had to look up that artist and it's a pretty apt visual description!

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thanks, me too! Had to look up that artist and it's a pretty apt visual description!

This post is about the goatse mans anus

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

AHH F/UGH posted:

One thing I am grateful for about my pretty-alright job is that I’m no longer a servant. When I was working in restaurants and poo poo I had to basically be someone’s slave, like you as a bartender. I’m glad I no longer have to pretend to be nice or care about anyone else (most of time time). Working in an office you don’t need to ‘act’ quite as much as you do at a retail or food job, and that’s a huge benefit on its own.

Same.

Also, I now have things like health insurance and retirement...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I put in my notice and HR hasn't got back to me.

They also think Im going to give them more than the legally required amount so laffo.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I know this is a lot of bitching and moaning, but writing it out has been so cathartic. That place messed me up for years and I'm only now feeling comfortable sticking up for myself and disagreeing with people at work.

It's kind of amazing how long stuff like that can gently caress you up. The job I had from 2007 to 2014 had several all-hands meetings (which was only like 20-30 people) to inform people of lay offs or pay cuts, and still to this day I get all nervous and anxious over all-hands meetings. It's awful.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Barudak posted:

I put in my notice and HR hasn't got back to me.

They also think Im going to give them more than the legally required amount so laffo.

"Legally required"? I'm guessing you're not in the US . . .

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zarin posted:

"Legally required"? I'm guessing you're not in the US . . .

Im not in the US, because if it was I'd be done right now.

Luckily not the UK where your employer can make you sign a 6 month notice period contract and hold you to it as happened to a coworker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

We hired someone to fill the role of"technical project manager".

This person does not have a GitHub account, doesn't know the first thing about branching, and is clueless about software development as well as project management. They inherited all of the bad habits of the person they replaced, and has made 0 improvements to processes in the 2 years they've been here.

We've pointed out time and time again that the developers are overworked and undertrained, and that every single release cycle is mess of merge conflicts and failed deployments that only barely manages to get the product out the door because of people putting in extra time to unfuck everything in the days leading up to production deployment.

For example, my lead has been with the company for 5 years and in this entire time not a single sprint review has ever been conducted. We just wing it until the release is out and then the QA lead combs through tickets to see what went out and what didn't. There's no coherent system in place for regularly doing this as a group; it just sort of works out in the end. There are big fixes and small features that were worked on, tested, and approved for release months ago that never got merged into the release branch. We are constantly finding things that got forgotten about. Once in a while, a client mentions something, and that becomes the #1 priority until it's released. There are often multiple clients with requests ongoing at the same time.

I pointed the fact that we don't do sprint reviews in a retrospective and they literally laughed in my face and said I sounded just like <my lead>.

Quality suffers, morale suffers, the company is losing their senior talent as people eventually realize how hosed our system is and get jobs elsewhere, and they still think things are going fine because we're able to sort of hit deliverables and the clients are "happy" even though we are miserable.

This person was promoted to a Director position to make room for another technical project manager, who was moved over into retail services when it became clear that someone needed to interact with the clients more frequently, but we still don't have a technical project manager or someone with basic project management skills running things.

This person was also recently rewarded an internal recognition because of all of their hard work recently. Most of the team is confused why the glorified note taker is so well regarded when it's basically everyone filling in for them that keeps things moving along.

Oh well.