Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

This is only an 8 finger technique! What does a 10 finger technique look like?!

Those would be thumbs. They're very serious about nomenclature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

(8 fingers 2 thumbs)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

goatface posted:

Those would be thumbs. They're very serious about nomenclature.

:argh: I'll just have to post some panels to make up for it

I was reincarnated as the 7th Prince so I will perfect my magic as I please - Chapter 12

tl;dr guy gets isekai'd, and is OP. All his magic spells are insanely overpowered so he has to hold back. He's fighting a Maijin, made up of magical energy, and they are said to not be unkillable via magic.

Right to Left

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Man this series could be just a dumb power fantasy about an amoral magic savant.

But it just has to get creepy. Also does the thing where the artists' mind breaks as soons as they start drawing female characters and they start committing crimes against anatomy one-handed.

Just a Forewarning to readers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah it's starting to edge towards the lewd side of things in the recent chapters for whatever reason.

The action sequences are still on point, and it's a pretty decent read.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Infinitum posted:

tl;dr guy gets isekai'd

Is there a ts;dr? Because I have no idea what this means, and it kinda made me lose interest in the whole thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Person from "our" world dies, wakes up in different universe

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

It's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, but anime

It's Jon Carter of Mars but less anime.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ImpAtom posted:

It's Jon Carter of Mars but less anime.

It's Holger Carlsen but the same amount of anime.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's anime, I gather. Thanks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's Gor, but less rapey. Spmetimes.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You know the part in Dragon Ball where the bad guy sees how big Goku's power level is and freaks out? An iseki is just that bit repeated over and over until you get bored.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh God, I just realized Gordon R Dickson's Dragon Knight series is an Isekai.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Superman is an isekai protagonist.
- Winds up in another world as a child.
- Becomes incredibly powerful in the new world with cheat code like powers.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

habeasdorkus posted:

This is only an 8 finger technique! What does a 10 finger technique look like?!

Just you wait, until he's using his footfingers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Isekai is probably the trashiest anime/manga gets. It’s pure unfiltered power fantasy made almost exclusively for incels.

There’s some good isekai, but they’re largely part of the “villainess” sub genre, where the mc wakes up as the villain of a fantasy otome game and makes the plot go off the rails

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Isekai is probably the trashiest anime/manga gets. It’s pure unfiltered power fantasy made almost exclusively for incels.

There’s some good isekai, but they’re largely part of the “villainess” sub genre, where the mc wakes up as the villain of a fantasy otome game and makes the plot go off the rails

Eh. Modern stuff is at its worst because it has catered heavily to that but the concept has been around for years. Escaflowne is an isekai and it owns.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

thetoughestbean posted:

That's only in terms of recent isekai, there were some decent ones in the past when the genre was more for women, like Inuyasha and Rayearth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Modern stuff is at its worst because it has catered heavily to that but the concept has been around for years. Escaflowne is an isekai and it owns.

El-Hazard, too.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

ImpAtom posted:

I really liked The Twelve Kingdoms, eve if it's hard to follow at first.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

wdarkk posted:

That's only in terms of recent isekai, there were some decent ones in the past when the genre was more for women, like Inuyasha and Rayearth.

Personally I wouldn’t count stuff like that as an isekai. I mean, yeah, you can do the whole “my favorite RPG is Halo 3 where you play the role of Master Chief” thing and point out that the plot meets the literal definition, but that’s not the kind of thing people normally refer to when they talk about isekai, and there’s not any particular shared heritage between them and the modern power fantasy stuff.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

wdarkk posted:

Fushigi Yūgi :hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

Fushigi Yūgi :hmmyes:

Army of Darkness :colbert:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
getting pretty Inside Baseball in here.

M.O.D.O.K. Assassin #1: It has been a good day for M.O.D.O.K.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 14, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
modok assassin is a fun book

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

wdarkk posted:

I’m pretty familiar with “(popular older series) is actually an isekai!” takes, and hey, one of my favorite franchises is Digimon which is often technically an isekai, but there’s a very big difference between the stuff like Inuyasha and Fushigi Yugi and stuff like Mushoku Tensei or The Time I Was Reincarnated As A Slime. There’s a whole infrastructure of web novel->light novel->manga->anime for stuff like that and it has its own tropes, audience, and inspirations that make it its own thing.

Flesh Forge posted:

Who’s the lady Thor here?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Angela, Thor's sister who's sort of an angel of vengeance.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's stuff going on in the Dr Doom Secret Wars period, i.e. I have no loving idea whatsoever
e: Ok!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

seems like some projection in this post lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Kill 6 Billion Demons is an isekai

An ordinary woman gets sucked into a world that makes no sense after having the ultimate source of all universal power lodged in her forehead by the former king of all reality.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's weird to me that after I read a solid two dozen fantasy novels in the '90s where some dude from Earth went to a fantasy setting, from Thomas Covenant on down, only now is there a specific term for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

It's weird to me that after I read a solid two dozen fantasy novels in the '90s where some dude from Earth went to a fantasy setting, from Thomas Covenant on down, only now is there a specific term for it.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court too long a term?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's funny how well A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court fits not just the literal definition, but even some of the stereotypical plot beats of a modern isekai. There's even a scene where the protagonist enters a jousting tournament and wrecks all the knights by using his modern knowledge to invent a gun, then uses his clout from this event to set himself up as a wizard rivalling Merlin.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

There's no way that M.O.D.O.K. is going to be able to lift her printer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well yeah he's not the Mental Organism Designed Only for Lifting

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Skwirl posted:

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court too long a term?

I believe the more traditional trope is 'Another World'.

'Isekai' as a trope generally involve either A.) death and rebirth, usually as a baby or B.) being teleported across, typically via a summon.
They are then gifted an over powered set of cheat skills on top.

~Nerd poo poo~

Flesh Forge posted:

Imma post the Baseball Isekai when I get home :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

And Tyler Too! posted:

Kill 6 Billion Demons is an isekai

An ordinary woman gets sucked into a world that makes no sense after having the ultimate source of all universal power lodged in her forehead by the former king of all reality.

She neither dies to be transported in such a way nor is she inherently freakishly good at everything.

She is in fact insanely bad at doing anything with the Key of Kings for...a while.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Imma post the Baseball Isekai when I get home :v:

When I was young I thought the Yankee was a baseball player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pop-Tarts are isekai.