Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I dunno about all that, sounds slightly insane. My house is 20C all day and 16C when I go to sleep, and that's all I care about. I will only spread sheet when I'm being paid to do so, and even then it's begrudgingly.

Of course if this spreadsheet action is filling some trainspottery/sudoku void then have at it. But I , a genius, would rather spend my free time appreciating the finer meats of our cultural stew*

* Videos of baby penguins being tickled

My name is jaeluni and I am a spreadsheet addict.
I love my spreadsheets. I have bazillions.

I have nothing of interest to report.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The New Adam Curtis films are great BTW and I encourage everyone to find a way to watch them that doesn't pay the licence fee.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Have they announced who the minister for racism is yet?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That's like five different posts right now.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

I dunno about all that, sounds slightly insane. My house is 20C all day and 16C when I go to sleep, and that's all I care about. I will only spread sheet when I'm being paid to do so, and even then it's begrudgingly.

Of course if this spreadsheet action is filling some trainspottery/sudoku void then have at it. But I , a genius, would rather spend my free time appreciating the finer meats of our cultural stew*

* Videos of baby penguins being tickled
Post the videos

e: nm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T86S_6gBWk

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 14, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Post the videos

Here's one. I felt compelled to look them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T86S_6gBWk

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lol snap

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

Australia had a vicious fight over the introduction of nominal copayments as a principle (it failed), whilst it is a frozen and apparently settled issue in New Zealand. Ireland introduced a €1.50 copayment for prescriptions relatively recently.

NZ's healthcare underwent the same left-collapse eurocommunism MARKETS EVERYWHERE reforms as everyone else in the eighties. Here's a primer on their parliament site.

Also, their full legalisation of abortion was last year. Prior to that there was a decriminalised but suppressed market in vacuum aspirations, with non-profits introducing ru486 after the millenium. "Who pays for this" has been a part of that debate as much as you'd expect.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Here's one. I felt compelled to look them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T86S_6gBWk

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A URL INTO THE YOUTUBE. ITS baby penguin gets tickled AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, cookie the penguin. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN TRILLING SOUNDS WHEN I GET TICKLED BY MY HANDLER OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY LIVED IN THE WORLDS COMFIEST ENCLOSURE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE NOISES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I POST

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Priti Patel?

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Gonzo McFee posted:

The New Adam Curtis films are great BTW and I encourage everyone to find a way to watch them that doesn't pay the licence fee.

Agreed, this has been my Sunday though I'm currently having a half way break with some trash because my brain needs this.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Minister for Racism is like a No 1 contenders rank for the Prime Ministership title within the tory party

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

Also, their full legalisation of abortion was last year. Prior to that there was a decriminalised but suppressed market in vacuum aspirations, with non-profits introducing ru486 after the millenium. "Who pays for this" has been a part of that debate as much as you'd expect.
It's still only the most uhh well technically legal here as of last year, the biggest change is that the Alabama-style "two doctors must sign and it must be on a specially approved premises, otherwise you can still be done for manslaughter" bit got waived for the pandemic, and replaced with a single medical professional with telemedine for medical terminations before 10 weeks, and the results have been overwhelmingly positive, with a large reduction in complications, surgical abortions, and the average time into gestation that an abortion takes place.

And yet they're still considering rolling all that back the minute that the pandemic is over, for no apparent benefit.

Anyway, there's an open consultation on the matter here and I really hope that they keep one of the few progressive steps that has been made in decades.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

serious gaylord posted:

Pity the DUP aren't back in coalition, a good running contender would be Gregory Campbell:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55985100

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55970058

Being racist to SONGS OF PRAISE!

Making Tories look like amateurs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"can you imagine an all white line up with an all white jury and presented by a white person? No I can't either."

I'm sure that you can Greg.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The main reason healthcare insurance is stupid is because it's not like your house burning down or other rare events. Everyone needs healthcare, at varying levels but continuously throughout life. Costs obviously vary depending on what illness you get, but I think maintaining the population's health is way more like maintaining roads than trying to hedge against surprise events.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As i live alone i have always found it more economical to heat the person and not the house.

To that end the heating is on for one hour in four, takes the edge off the cold and i just wear an extra layer of clothing.

Had to have it on a lot more before i got the double glazing in and it makes quite a difference, nowadays my heating is mostly off from mid April to the end of November.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

The main reason healthcare insurance is stupid is because it's not like your house burning down or other rare events. Everyone needs healthcare, at varying levels but continuously throughout life. Costs obviously vary depending on what illness you get, but I think maintaining the population's health is way more like maintaining roads than trying to hedge against surprise events.
:agreed:

Also more pessimistically there'll always be one group (it's the cyclists Brian, they don't pay their road taxes!) who are somehow seen as not playing by the rules.

I guess that would be 'health tourism' in this case, even if it costs less than pens.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Get a Google Nest thermostat, then your boiler fiddling drops to almost nothing, and when you do need to it's just a swipe on your phone

Well, actually this is why i'm asking the question. We got Nest thermostats installed today but the engineer left the schedule for the hot water as 9am to 9pm or something but i dunno if it actually needs to be on that long.

The way our heating system works is that there's 2 thermostats to turn the radiators in the 2 zones on and off but the hot water one is on a separate, third system that heats up the water in the cylinder (in single zone houses i assume it's normal to have the 2 systems so that you have hot water even when the radiators aren't needed).

Anyway, nest thermostats are room thermostats only, not cylinder thermostats. So the best they can do for the house hot water is turn the heating to it on and off.

Edit: There is a thermostat on the cylinder so it might be a moot question as that's supposed to keep the temperature in it at a certain level anyway.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

ronya posted:

the politics of healthcare systems between countries can be surprisingly resilient - the UK allows private healthcare, for instance, which Canadian politics regards as the death knell of free-at-the-point-of-use public healthcare consensus ('two-tiered healthcare').

Australia had a vicious fight over the introduction of nominal copayments as a principle (it failed), whilst it is a frozen and apparently settled issue in New Zealand. Ireland introduced a €1.50 copayment for prescriptions relatively recently.

and then there's the odd distinction that each country accepts as "normal"/"okay" to charge for, or not charge for, between e.g. the 'typical' health service vs the dental or psychiatric services (as varies per country).

clinically (heh) speaking, it's not surprising that it's perennial political catnip. It seems entirely detached from reality and wholly built on existing 'wisdoms', what's not to love?

Free at the point of use and £9.15 per prescription per month or course duration if shorter or you can buy an annual £105.90 all you can eat card, but not in Scotland, and either £28.80, £65.20 or £282.80 for teeth if you're lucky enough to find someone who'll take the money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

"can you imagine an all white line up with an all white jury and presented by a white person? No I can't either."

I'm sure that you can Greg.

Only if they start referring to the black person present as "the defendant" instead of "the contestant".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed this, here's part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--YPK44OzwQ

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

knox_harrington posted:

Not only that, everyone needs the entire system to exist at all times (with trivial exceptions like me probably not needing gynaecological care). Mr Smuggo "I don't eat junk and I take care of my body"? BAM - hit by a van. BAM - kidney cancer. BAM - ludicrously expensive degenerative disease. You always need to be covered for everything. So any individualisation is just silly.

Endjinneer posted:

Free at the point of use and £9.15 per prescription per month or course duration if shorter or you can buy an annual £105.90 all you can eat card, but not in Scotland, and either £28.80, £65.20 or £282.80 for teeth if you're lucky enough to find someone who'll take the money.

Judging by the occasional Twitter thread, there are a lot of countries that provide comprehensive health cover, "except for the parts that live near your brain that you eat and see with, you have to pay for those"

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 14, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Endjinneer posted:

*laughs in Welsh*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1360965807963070469?s=19

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Got a letter through the door trying to whip up support for the primary school in the village, which is facing closure. Damned council depriving are kids and all that.

Turns out only 33 kids go to the school (mixed age classrooms) and most don't live within the catchment area, coming in from elsewhere for god knows what reason. The nearest alternative primary is so close even I could jog to it, and they're trying to build a new one that isn't falling apart halfway between the two.

Beginning to think there must be bodies buried under the playground.

Parents from this primary have been trying for years to dig up and develop the big layby that separates my house from the main road into exclusive parking for them, so lol. Hope getting that planning permission wasn't too expensive.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

As i live alone i have always found it more economical to heat the person and not the house.

To that end the heating is on for one hour in four, takes the edge off the cold and i just wear an extra layer of clothing.

Had to have it on a lot more before i got the double glazing in and it makes quite a difference, nowadays my heating is mostly off from mid April to the end of November.

Long, lined curtains also helps :)

Borrovan posted:

*laughs in Welsh*

On the one hand, also laughing in Welsh.

On the other hand, last January I needed to get a letter from my doc to the insurance co I was using for my long-haul, 60th birthday, holiday of a lifetime holiday to distant lands (hah!) . As the doc knew very little of my problem (intense continuous cramping of leg muscles, hamstring injury yada yada), my private deep tissue massage therapist had written her a letter about what the problem was and the therapy I had been having. So I took the letter in so she could do the official insurance co letter (for which I paid).

Within a minute, and completely unasked, she had written me out a prescription for ibuprofen! I said "I don't need a prescription for that!" (35p a box from Home Bargains). "Oh" she said "that's the sort of patient we like". (Mostly my leg problems have abated and so long as I got for a 2-3 mile walk most days and have a couple of exercises to do, when there is pain, it's very manageable now.)

I hadn't asked for the prescription, she just wrote it! How many more prescriptions are getting dished out unasked for and I don't know how much ibuprofen costs the NHS!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The school is also the reason we had 9 months of roadworks putting speedbumps every 30 feet along the road. I will dance on its grave.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

sassassin posted:

Got a letter through the door trying to whip up support for the primary school in the village, which is facing closure. Damned council depriving are kids and all that.

Turns out only 33 kids go to the school (mixed age classrooms) and most don't live within the catchment area, coming in from elsewhere for god knows what reason. The nearest alternative primary is so close even I could jog to it, and they're trying to build a new one that isn't falling apart halfway between the two.

Beginning to think there must be bodies buried under the playground.

Parents from this primary have been trying for years to dig up and develop the big layby that separates my house from the main road into exclusive parking for them, so lol. Hope getting that planning permission wasn't too expensive.

Lol, What do you want us to do about it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Will no one rid me of this turbulent primary school

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's been pointed out that any aging country that really wants to save on its healthcare bill should just pay people to smoke

obviously, the public health policymaker's objective function here is not just "reduce sum of private+public healthcare expenditures"...

at the margin, the expenditure reductions are more like: persuade people to go to the ER less and use daytime services instead, persuade people to spend less on EOL care, persuade people to accept other non-directly-healthcare related aspects (longer travel times, longer waiting times, poorer facilities in lower-cost locations and care personnel) etc. My haven't--looked-closely-at-this-topic-in-a-while eye feels like the various policy movements around the world fall into one of these three for cost control, anyway...

these are demand-side pressures; the headwind is from 1) the aging society, and 2) increasingly pricey expertise and capital that can be brought to bear in extreme circumstances. Sadly the new bleeding edge of medical interventions are phenomenally costly compared to the leaps and bounds of the mid 20th century... we don't live in a period where best-effort oncological intervention consists of exploratory surgery, shaking one's head sadly, and then closing up the incision and packing the patient off for their remaining months. On the supply side many countries have long since shifted to a consumer-oriented healthcare delivery model and that battle is past. There's probably a nascent topic on how the 'rich West' has been staving off the surge in labour costs by importing a staggering amount of medical/nursing expertise from the developing world, however. Over the next couple decades or so, I'd guess.

ronya fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 14, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If it'll help the country's economy I'll personally take a much worse/fun drug subsidy than tobacco to help out.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Guavanaut posted:

This is why people end up blaming the former on immigrants rather than wealth distribution. They'll probably blame the latter on immigrants too when climate refuge becomes a major issue.

I can't see people getting the same degree of angry about distant pangolins than they did about their rivers being on fire, which kicked off the initial wave of environmental enthusiasm, whereas I can see people being directly angry about being worse off and blaming it on all sorts of things (see also lockdowns, mask mandates, 5G, and global lizards as well as migrants).

e: ^^^ free speech!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snpuJ0Bk88o

Thats a pro-click loving video.

Edit: That video communicates so much stuff I've been lurching at and am not smart enough to put into words. It's insane that free speech is somehow culturally a right-wing thing, it's objectively profoundly untrue, gently caress the 'lefties' that embrace censorship idiot authoritarian scumbags. I wish I'd seen this video three years ago.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 14, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We should privatise the NHS, also what is the most you ever lost on a coin toss.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

it's been pointed out that any aging country that really wants to save on its healthcare bill should just pay people to smoke

You could also botch the COVID-19 response and apologise afterwards for the gerontocaust. Unfortunately, long-COVID (oops).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not really sure I need some bellend telling me how the proper left wing thing is to love the working class for being racist. If I want that I can just listen to the labour party.

"let me tell you how it's all about power, but actually the real reason people don't get to talk is because it's the left's fault for censoring them" load of horseshit.

"when you tell people to gently caress off for being racist you're actually denying them the opportunity to learn, which they are all definitely interested in doing" me: the world's biggest rube.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 14, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We should privatise the NHS, also what is the most you ever lost on a coin toss.

I dunno. There was this one time I bet the NHS staying publicly funded on a coin toss?
Does that count?*

*= No Country for Old Men is not a bad movie. But the entire last fifth of the film made me hate that movie for being excellent UP until that point. I hated the film more than if the film had just been bad the entire time.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 15, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

serious gaylord posted:

Aren’t they all the minister for racism?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What's wrong with the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah there was lots of amazing stuff, like the connection between Discord, the Bavarian Illuminati and JFK.

Before I do the work of trying to process what it all actually means, are there any really major mistakes or distortions to be aware of?