Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone able to recommend an SD card for a VIOFO A129?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Get any of the high endurance ones, meant to be used nonstop in a camera or similar. Most brands have one, this is the kind I got: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PM2VX4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I got this one for my A129 Pro Duo https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P4HBRMV/ and it's worked great so far, but I've only had it a month so I definitely haven't stressed the write endurance. It hasn't even filled up yet.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There are legitimately people who will take no action to avoid an accident because they have the ROW. I’ve dealt with a number of them over the years in the insurance world. They’re always surprised when they get hit with some degree of fault after just telling you they saw the guy merging and didn’t try to avoid it in any way, or even accelerated to close the gap.

These people are the worst.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
h ttps://twitter.com/dotorii_muk/status/1359943343485177856

huge collisions on ice, apparently some dead after

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What's the wording they use? Bridge freezes before road?

drat.. those were really bad :/

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Bad wreck video

Fixed the link. This was about ten miles north of me, and right along the commute I was supposed to make this morning. Out of sheer luck, I started a new job on Monday and they called me around 6:30 this morning to say "we don't need trainees to move the train you're supposed to be on, so there's no sense in making you risk your life driving in. Hang out at the house and keep your ears open for your next assignment."

I went back to bed and woke up a few hours later to several more texts from friends and family asking if I was okay because they knew there was a chance I was in that massive pile up. It started around 12 hours ago, and at the time of posting, the highway is STILL shut down for clean up.

EDITED to remove video

Tex Avery fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 12, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think the link was broken on purpose so people don't auto-click on a video where half a dozen people are dying

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Ror posted:

I think the link was broken on purpose so people don't auto-click on a video where half a dozen people are dying

loving hell, I didn't even think about that. I've changed my post to remove the video.

I'm sorry to anyone that I upset. I went into autopilot and that's my fault.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
TBF the video wasn't graphic, there's no indication that particular clip included fatalities. Of course it's also entirely possible that it did, once the big semis lose control poo poo goes bad real fast. My understanding is that was a non-public toll road and the owners didn't put down any sand or salt to treat the surface ahead of the freeze. If 2021 is really going to be better than 2020 they'll be sued into oblivion by Summer.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

As poo poo as the roads in PA are, I like having advanced warning of lovely conditions within the next day solely by noticing the salt spray on the roads from the pre-treating.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

As poo poo as the roads in PA are, I like having advanced warning of lovely conditions within the next day solely by noticing the salt spray on the roads from the pre-treating.

Same here in IN. Its my cue to look at the weather.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mastershakeman posted:

h ttps://twitter.com/dotorii_muk/status/1359943343485177856

Jesus loving Christ. Literally everyone there is driving way too loving fast for icing conditions. Yes, maybe the road wasn't treated correctly, but you're just lookin at property damage if people are traveling at a reasonable rather than loving 50+. Texas gets icing literally every year. The allegedly professional drivers driving huge vehicles in this accident in particular need to be prosecuted and lose licenses. Particularly that Go2 guy, what a reckless rear end in a top hat. He very clearly killed at least one person himself. I hope he takes responsibility.
I'm so loving sick of preventable deaths (there were "only" 5 here through the grace of modern technology) being treated as just some cost of a mobile society. There's an article talking about questions as to whether the road was properly de-iced. That is a legitimate question, but there's personal responsibility here too.

Like I spent 15 minutes watching videos of people up in Big Bear sliding around on ice, but because people were travelling at reasonable speeds, nothing but a few fenders got dented.

Normally, I think we in the US focus too much on personal responsibility v. road design where talking about road deaths (which doesn't mean we punish people, we just say "their fault" and ignore the fact that the same intersection has a hundred crashes a year). We only look at driver (or ped or cyclist) behavior rather than inherently dangerous road designs, which are legion here in murica, but this is a controlled access freeway with no visible defects beyond maybe icing prevention and a bunch of lovely drivers.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 12, 2021

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus gently caress some of those trucks were just going at ludicrous speed into that crash, looks like they were making no attempt at slowing down

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Jesus gently caress some of those trucks were just going at ludicrous speed into that crash, looks like they were making no attempt at slowing down

One of them was dragging on the divider to try to shed speed, you can see the sparks. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of them were going over 70 like you usually do on the highways in Dallas on the one day you couldn’t get away with it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Speed is absolutely a factor, but someone in my local (Dallas) subreddit said that particular strech of road is 1 a bridge, and 2 at the bottom of a hill. So these poor fuckers were hitting black ice at freeway speeds then just slaloming downhill into a wall of existing wreckage. Intentionally breaking this link as well, but in it you can see cars driving on the regular portion of the road and their wheels are spinning like 3x as fast as the car is moving, the entire road was a sheet of ice...

https://youtu.be/ cZAh 8275 dO0

About 1:10 is the GO2 truck wrecking poo poo, immediately followed by a view of the car next to the cameraman spinning wheels at like 2mph.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Speed is absolutely a factor, but someone in my local (Dallas) subreddit said that particular strech of road is 1 a bridge, and 2 at the bottom of a hill. So these poor fuckers were hitting black ice at freeway speeds then just slaloming downhill into a wall of existing wreckage. Intentionally breaking this link as well, but in it you can see cars driving on the regular portion of the road and their wheels are spinning like 3x as fast as the car is moving, the entire road was a sheet of ice...

About 1:10 is the GO2 truck wrecking poo poo, immediately followed by a view of the car next to the cameraman spinning wheels at like 2mph.

One of the comments points out a man jumping over the barrier right as the GO2 truck plows through everything :stonk:

A lot of people need to be sued into oblivion for that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Takes No Damage posted:

There's a goddamn ice storm. They shouldn't have been going so fast as to hit 70mph down a hill. People don't respect weather at all.

When I lived in Minnesota, I did ice racing and did ok. I was the slowest fucker on the road on public roads though (on really high end nokians), because I knew that even if I could deal with it 99/100 times, it's not worth that 1 time sgit gets hosed.
Look, sometimes you get a sheet of ice and you slide. Make sure when you start that slide you're not over 50mph, particularly when you weigh 60,000lbs

fisting by many posted:

Some people need to go to jail. Even more need to lose licenses, particularly CDLs.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

fisting by many posted:

One of the comments points out a man jumping over the barrier right as the GO2 truck plows through everything :stonk:

They interviewed this guy I believe on NBC today. He was trying to get a woman out of a car and pull her over the barrier right before that truck plowed into them. She died. He said his knuckles were broken on one hand from punching out a window to help someone else out of another car.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i'll be shocked if anyone so much as sees a single day in court over this. except maybe whoever was responsible for icing the roads, as if there's one thing insurance companies love more than denying claims it's finding someone to sue into the dirt to offset the cost of the claims they can't deny

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 13, 2021

nm
Jan 28, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'll be shocked if anyone so much as sees a single day in court over this. except maybe whoever was responsible for icing the roads, as if there's one thing insurance companies love more than denying claims it's finding someone to sue into the dirt to offset the cost of the claims they can't deny

There will be very few consequences for this because again, in the US if you want to kill someone, do it with a motor vehicle.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The last time I saw this sort of maneuver, I was watching a video about rammers in Forza Motorsport

https://i.imgur.com/c0mZsSE.mp4

One reason Elon Musk has fallen in love with Florida is the spirit of innovation that its everyday citizens possess

https://i.imgur.com/9mety9P.mp4

Being a pedestrian in Florida is treacherous even if you follow the rules

https://i.imgur.com/C3IDHHX.mp4

Finally, my dash cam is sometimes allowed to capture good things instead of the endless horrors of Floridian drivers

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My dad asked me for recommendations for a camera to use on a bicycle, either worn on the body or attached to the bike. No specific requirements other than reasonable price and some amount of weatherproofing. Any suggestions? I just use a Xiomi Yi for track days but it's not really ideal as a dashcam so I'm pretty clueless about what's available nowadays.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

mobby_6kl posted:

My dad asked me for recommendations for a camera to use on a bicycle, either worn on the body or attached to the bike. No specific requirements other than reasonable price and some amount of weatherproofing. Any suggestions? I just use a Xiomi Yi for track days but it's not really ideal as a dashcam so I'm pretty clueless about what's available nowadays.

All of the cyclists that I know who have a camera on their bike use a Cycliq Fly12. My housemate has had a bunch of reliability problems with his Cycliq devices, but to the best of my knowledge, there really isn't any competition...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I see a few people riding with Go-Pros, otherwise Fly-12

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Linux Fairy posted:

All of the cyclists that I know who have a camera on their bike use a Cycliq Fly12. My housemate has had a bunch of reliability problems with his Cycliq devices, but to the best of my knowledge, there really isn't any competition...

I have on OG Fly 12 and its been pretty great, though I suspect its battery life is waning, but the new stuff I dunno. I had a rear camera, a fly 6 CE, and it nuked itself shortly after a year ran and is basically designed to be unrebuildable. The app, unless it has improved, is pretty bad too, but you can just pull video off the microSD card.
They have no competition, so what you gonna do? Go pro is an ok option for shorter trips, but battery life and lack of an overwrite mode makes it useless for any longer cycling trip.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez the 12CE is like 300 eurobucks, that's probably more than he'd want to spend. But thanks, it's no wonder I wasn't really finding anything because they're the only game in town.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What about the unnoficial GoPro copies from eBay or Amazon? It's there bicycle cam equivalent? I was under impression that those are made from the same components, maybe even at the same factories in China. Also, people have been using automotive dash cams on motorcycles for a long time. Just need to get creative with mounting and waterproofing. Most common way is to put a ziplock bag over it in the rain

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Jeez the 12CE is like 300 eurobucks, that's probably more than he'd want to spend. But thanks, it's no wonder I wasn't really finding anything because they're the only game in town.

Bike cams are a really weird market that nobody serves well, except Cycliq with their multiple of issues.

Garmin had the Virb XE which was designed as a bike camera but it’s been discontinued for awhile and isn’t really terribly different than a GoPro. They have the Virb Ultra 30 now but it has about 2 hours of battery life at 1080p, less if you use 4K.

Drift Ghost X maybe?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Drift Ghost X maybe?

It's been a while since I've looked at cycling cameras, but that was the best all-around budget camera the last time I did. 5 hour record, decent low light performance, rainproof, has a rotating lens so it can be side mounted on a helmet or upside down on a Garmin/K-Edge mount.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/blog/best-cycling-safety-cameras

I have no experience with bicycle dash cams, but tried searching for one just to be helpful. Here is an article that focuses on the safety aspect (aka dash cam) and not performance. Keyword to avoid is "action". Because that's how you get sidetracked into GoPro territory

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrox posted:

What about the unnoficial GoPro copies from eBay or Amazon? It's there bicycle cam equivalent? I was under impression that those are made from the same components, maybe even at the same factories in China. Also, people have been using automotive dash cams on motorcycles for a long time. Just need to get creative with mounting and waterproofing. Most common way is to put a ziplock bag over it in the rain

The Xiaomi Yi I mentioned is the Chinese GoPro knockoff :)

It was good for the time but doesn't have any dashcamy features and is a bit outdated by now, as it only does FHD and the quality isn't as good as a modern cam. I do have a waterproof case for it though that works fine even for diving.

Bike cams are a really weird market that nobody serves well, except Cycliq with their multiple of issues.

Garmin had the Virb XE which was designed as a bike camera but it’s been discontinued for awhile and isn’t really terribly different than a GoPro. They have the Virb Ultra 30 now but it has about 2 hours of battery life at 1080p, less if you use 4K.

Drift Ghost X maybe?

MisterOblivious posted:

It's been a while since I've looked at cycling cameras, but that was the best all-around budget camera the last time I did. 5 hour record, decent low light performance, rainproof, has a rotating lens so it can be side mounted on a helmet or upside down on a Garmin/K-Edge mount.
I actually remembered that Techmoan used to do a lot of dashcam reviews before rebranding into retro tech stuff, and this was the last bike recommendation. Seems like a pretty good option for under a hundred bucks.

Nitrox posted:

I have no experience with bicycle dash cams, but tried searching for one just to be helpful. Here is an article that focuses on the safety aspect (aka dash cam) and not performance. Keyword to avoid is "action". Because that's how you get sidetracked into GoPro territory
Thanks, that rear facing one is a good idea considering the typical threat for cyclists, but then it's also over two hundred...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nitrox posted:

I really wish they'd mention battery life here, because most of these have pretty poor battery life. Also, was basically out of date when written. The OG Fly 12 is 2 generations old now, and the garmin is long gone.
Also, FWIW, don't mount a chunk of metal or plastic to a foam helmet. Bar mount it. You also want to bar mount because your head moves around far too much to get important details, like license plates, clearly and can provided a distorted sense of what's going around v. a fixed camera.
I consider a rear camera secondary in the US where many cars don't have front plates. H&R is a serious issue for bikes, so a camera's almost worthless without a plate. Also, generally a front camera will do enough to make it clear you didn't do anything wrong as it should track your path to show you didn't swerve or anything.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Drift Ghost X maybe?

I have a Drift Ghost XL on my motorcycle helmet and I'm pretty happy with it for the price. The video quality is merely OK and the microphone becomes useless above 20 MPH or so, but it's waterproof and the battery really does last 8-9 hours. It's no GoPro, but it's exactly what I wanted for a helmet-mounted dash cam.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New video from dashcam australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaW3PB545c

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

Is it just me, or did this month contain way more videos of the camera owners themselves being terrible than normal?

Seems like a lot of fairly "normal" traffic interactions with the camera owners ratcheting the situation to 11 through their own actions.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

eddyc49 posted:

Is it just me, or did this month contain way more videos of the camera owners themselves being terrible than normal?

Seems like a lot of fairly "normal" traffic interactions with the camera owners ratcheting the situation to 11 through their own actions.

Umm... Except for the very last video I didn't see any that were the camera owner's fault.

Unless you think getting cut off by someone who should be giving you the right of way is your fault?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I dunno about way more than normal, but I find that the vast majority of dashcam content is more of a self-own than the people originally posting them seem to realize.

Zero One posted:

Umm... Except for the very last video I didn't see any that were the camera owner's fault.

Unless you think getting cut off by someone who should be giving you the right of way is your fault?
He didn't say they were the camera owner's fault, he said they made them worse ("... ratcheting the situation to 11 through their own actions"). There's certainly more than a few videos where something dumb was obviously happening and the camera owner appeared to try their best to get involved in it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just once I want to see a clip of some poo poo falling off a car immediately followed by the camera car grabbing it off the road and driving off.

It's salvage now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

I dunno about way more than normal, but I find that the vast majority of dashcam content is more of a self-own than the people originally posting them seem to realize.
He didn't say they were the camera owner's fault, he said they made them worse ("... ratcheting the situation to 11 through their own actions"). There's certainly more than a few videos where something dumb was obviously happening and the camera owner appeared to try their best to get involved in it.

I haven't watched the latest one yet but it seems to happen pretty often in the aussie videos. There'd be someone obviously about to merge into the lane and the camera car just keeps going or even speeds up because they either didn't see it, or probably thought that they had the right of way so gently caress off.