Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I want a video of this confrontation.

quote:

It is hard to haggle with a check though

I desperately want to know what this guy's haggle strategy is. Slowly pull bundles of cash out of a bag or put them away as they quibble over the price?

I know someone who was terrible at negotiating so he got 3 separate cashier's check from the bank, and was planning to add a check to the offer if the other person didn't agree but started by saying they had 3 checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's my understanding that the wad o' cash thing doesn't really work anymore when buying a car due to how much the dealerships make on financing.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Ornamented Death posted:

It's my understanding that the wad o' cash thing doesn't really work anymore when buying a car due to how much the dealerships make on financing.

There’s a really good article floating around about how dealerships will tack on lots of fees if they know upfront that you want to pay with cash. You essentially have to keep it a secret and force them to put the final price on paper before you tell them you’re paying cash.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

laxbro posted:

There’s a really good article floating around about how dealerships will tack on lots of fees if they know upfront that you want to pay with cash. You essentially have to keep it a secret and force them to put the final price on paper before you tell them you’re paying cash.

I paid cash on my last car and haggled aggressively over the out-the-door price over email. I told them I didn't want to talk about financing until we agreed on that price (I mean, I didn't want to talk about financing at all). The guy at the dealership was a pro - he barely blinked when I responded to his "Now, about financing..." with "No need, I'll just pay for it today". But he was definitely a little bit frostier after that.

Although, I was driving home in less than an hour with my new car. Email is definitely the way to go if you're buying a car from a dealership right now.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I've never financed a vehicle, but couldn't you just take their financing (and the deal that goes with it) and just pay it off immediately? Or do automotive finance companies typically tack on steep prepayment penalties?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sparkmaster posted:

I've never financed a vehicle, but couldn't you just take their financing (and the deal that goes with it) and just pay it off immediately? Or do automotive finance companies typically tack on steep prepayment penalties?

Yes, you typically can. I've heard the "polite" thing to do is to wait 30 or 90 or whatever days, which then gets the financing contract away from the dealer and to the financing company, so the dealer gets to hold on to whatever kickbacks they get for it.

Bought two cars with cash last year, one from a main dealer. I tried haggling but the price was already insanely lower than I was able to find anywhere else, so I think I only knocked it down $1k or so.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

sparkmaster posted:

Yes, when I've dealt with dealers I've always started by talking cash and let them talk me into their terrible financing deals with a focus on getting the list price down as much as possible. Then I just pay it of or refinance it at my credit union 3 months later. You can sometimes get a solid deal this way especially if you are looking at a previous year model they want to get off the lot for the incoming new ones.

Ideally, have enough cash you can buy directly but in the end direct cash purchases of cars are for salvage titles and Craigslist. Often for salvage titles you aren't buying from a dealer and no bank will finance them.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When I was purchasing a car recently like everyone was throwing super low loan rates. I refi'ed out but only because rates dropped to something idiotic like 1.7% which is barely inflation, I'd rather leave that cash in an index fun. If you don't qualify for those rates, then okay, but you're probably not in a position to pay cash anyway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A lot of new cars have OEM-subsidized financing offers of 0 to 0.9% which is better than any CU or bank will give you even in our low rate environment.

It may be in lieu of other cash promotions so do the math, but it's usually the better deal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rythe posted:

I know your joking but the poo poo storm this would cause from...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just a heads-up to BFC in general: Ableist slurs are frowned upon pretty much forum-wide now. Don't do it, please. (Also, report the hell out of me if you see me do it - I am old and sometimes still type like it's the early-years internet, but I will probate myself equally for things I gently caress up too.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

No way this ages well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*bought at 400*

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Duckman2008 posted:

No way this ages well.
It was past it's sell-by date a week ago.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

If I made like $1M from GME I’d get a horrible tattoo for sure

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Duckman2008 posted:

No way this ages well.

My 'been on the internet too long' senses are tingling.

If that cartoon dude is based off Sinfest like I think it is, it never had a chance of aging well.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I'm late to the storm of restaurant chat, but did anyone else grow up in a place that had what would effectively be described as a BWM restaurant location?

When I was growing up in a suburb of Houston, we had a restaurant on the outer edge of a shopping center called Original Pasta Company. We'd go there a lot because it's family friendly and also because it would have enough variety for if relatives were in town / grandparents' birthdays / etc. I remember it being good but also I was a kid so who knows. It lasted probably 7-8 years or a little more before closing, don't know if it was low sales or what. In the 15 years or so since then, that corner location has gone through no less than 7 different restaurants that last a year or two all before become vacant for a little bit and the cycle repeats. There was a lovely wings place, a place trying to capitalize on the craft beer craze, a pizza place, just a non-stop revolving door of people thinking "I know other places have done badly here but I'M going to be the one to crack it!". In the same shopping center there was a Tex-Mex and a Chinese food place that stood the test of time, but corner spot with its way too large floor plan is just a deathtrap.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

If that cartoon dude is based off Sinfest like I think it is, it never had a chance of aging well.

It's not. It's the mascot of r/wall street bets so it's just a tattoo about the GME stock news a few weeks ago.

Cael posted:

I'm late to the storm of restaurant chat, but did anyone else grow up in a place that had what would effectively be described as a BWM restaurant location?

When I was growing up in a suburb of Houston, we had a restaurant on the outer edge of a shopping center called Original Pasta Company. We'd go there a lot because it's family friendly and also because it would have enough variety for if relatives were in town / grandparents' birthdays / etc. I remember it being good but also I was a kid so who knows. It lasted probably 7-8 years or a little more before closing, don't know if it was low sales or what. In the 15 years or so since then, that corner location has gone through no less than 7 different restaurants that last a year or two all before become vacant for a little bit and the cycle repeats. There was a lovely wings place, a place trying to capitalize on the craft beer craze, a pizza place, just a non-stop revolving door of people thinking "I know other places have done badly here but I'M going to be the one to crack it!". In the same shopping center there was a Tex-Mex and a Chinese food place that stood the test of time, but corner spot with its way too large floor plan is just a deathtrap.

There's one a block or two from my apartment that has been four different restaurants in the five years I've lived here. The issue I think is that there's a median in the road so you can only get there if you're driving a certain direction, and if you're not it's a bitch to make a u-turn. That and the parking lot is awkward as gently caress to get into/out of. But for some reason people keep thinking that this time it will work! It's been sitting vacant now for about six months, so I figure the new venture is just right around the corner.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 14, 2021

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Soysaucebeast posted:

There's one a block or two from my apartment that has been four different restaurants in the five years I've lived here. The issue I think is that there's a median in the road so you can only get there if you're driving a certain direction, and if you're not it's a bitch to make a u-turn. That and the parking lot is awkward as gently caress to get into/out of. But for some reason people keep thinking that this time it will work! It's been sitting vacant now for about six months, so I figure the new venture is just right around the corner.

There's a spot near where I used to live 15 years ago that goes through a new restaurant on average very 1.5 years with the cycle still going strong to this day. It's tucked into a weird location behind a Long John Silvers between a Harbor freight and a closed Sears. The Long John Silvers have been holding on there for like 30 years somehow. Never underestimate the power of road frontage I guess.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Cael posted:

The "cursed location" run is always amusing, although I often assume that at some point the landlord has accepted the equipment/fixtures as a "best I'm going to get" from a defaulting previous tenant and the subsequent one is renting with the kitchen equipment included. It at least explains some of the "I'll be the one to make this work," since they do get to start with less of a capital outlay.

Related: Original Pasta Company was owned by the same parent as the Marco's tex-mex chain in Houston. They went bust in the early 2000's, I think. I'm still baffled that they couldn't make those work because they were ubiquitous and often decently busy.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who has always been reminded of Sinfest by that mascot

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

paternity suitor posted:

If I made like $1M from GME I’d get a horrible tattoo for sure

Why?

SIHappiness posted:

I often assume that at some point the landlord has accepted the equipment/fixtures as a "best I'm going to get" from a defaulting previous tenant and the subsequent one is renting with the kitchen equipment included. It at least explains some of the "I'll be the one to make this work," since they do get to start with less of a capital outlay.

It's this. The upfit for a kitchen is EXPENSIVE. It requires permits from multiple places - the building department, fire marshals office (hood suppression system which is big bucks), and the department of health. If the kitchen is existing it's an easy $100k+ off your startup budget.

And remember, part of the reason 80% of restaurants fail in the first 5 years is because 90% of the people who think that starting a restaurant is a good idea have no idea how to run a restaurant and are idiots.

So these lovely properties continue to be food service because of that sunk cost in the kitchen. Around here one or tow of them finally landed on a food service that worked for them pre-pandemic: catering. They just needed the kitchen storage/refrigeration so the front of the house is reduced in size to be a walk-in ordering booth, which can be done really cheaply compared to putting in a kitchen.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

It's this. The upfit for a kitchen is EXPENSIVE. It requires permits from multiple places - the building department, fire marshals office (hood suppression system which is big bucks), and the department of health. If the kitchen is existing it's an easy $100k+ off your startup budget.

I had to get pricing on a fire system the other day and it came in at $80k just for the sprinkler build out. Fire code ain't cheap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The junk collector posted:

I had to get pricing on a fire system the other day and it came in at $80k just for the sprinkler build out. Fire code ain't cheap.

Yeah, if you have a required full building suppression upfit like sprinklers it's hardly worth doing on a lease for a restaurant. Hell, the kitchen is hardly worth doing - it takes the first idiot with deep pockets to get that ball rolling.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Motronic posted:

Yeah, if you have a required full building suppression upfit like sprinklers it's hardly worth doing on a lease for a restaurant. Hell, the kitchen is hardly worth doing - it takes the first idiot with deep pockets to get that ball rolling.
What if you crowd source the idiots to get a fume hood?

I swear there was a bad frogger emote

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

What are your unconventional frugal food tips?

quote:

Baked beans and egg on a whole wheat pizza crust can be made in less than 10 minutes, is healthy, feeds our family of 4, and costs less than $3 total.

quote:

Cheez-Its and milk are a pretty good meal and when bought it bulk they can cost less than 40 cents per bowl

quote:

Buy the cheapest steak and get it well done.

I have such an aversion to steak that I am physically incapable of swallowing steak the way most people order it. The meat itself has no flavor on the inside and it always takes ages to chew to the point where the whole thing becomes a disgusting mush that’s impossible to swallow. I’ve always had to use some sort of sauce or side dish to eat with it so that I can swallow the steak without it triggering my gag reflex. It’s only edible if it’s been cooked all the way through. You’d never eat a steak raw so why the hell would you leave the center like that. People always talk about how the steak is juiciest at medium rare but I frankly don’t give a poo poo. Keep your drat juices, I’m here to eat solid food and the juices taste awful when paired with an undercooked steak anyways. I’m convinced that people only order the steak to prove how much money they have because for some reason these lovely slabs of inedible meat are the most expensive things on any menu that features them.

Edit: since everyone keeps telling me that I “haven’t had good steak” let me be clear: people have been telling me that poo poo my whole life. I’ve probably had steak cooked at least 20 different ways. I have eaten “good steak”. I have had lean steak. It always ends up feeling like chewing gum after all the flavor is gone unless it is medium or well done.

quote:

Ketchup is surprisingly awesome on pancakes and you can get tons of packets for free from restaurants.

quote:

You can butter cereal for some finger food that is filling and costs practically nothing.

quote:

The skin is the unhealthiest part of the hotdog. Hotdogs are really cheap and removing the skin makes it a very affordable and healthier meal.

quote:

I prefer dry meat, and especially poultry. I hardly ever eat rotisserie chicken because it is just to moist for me to enjoy. The best meat in my estimation is meat that you have to take a sip every bite. You get to regulate the amount of liquid with the meat, it's chewier, and you can spice it up with tea, soda or just a lot of sauce. That feeling of the meat getting weaker in your mouth from a beverage of choice is 1000X better than eating wet meat, and definitely too wet meat. I'm glad that my family "messes up" the turkey almost every thanksgiving.

quote:

Water tastes better if you add a little bit of salt to it. Why don't more people salt their water? Most colas and other drinks have some salt in them? Why not just salt the water yourself? Bring those little salt packs with you in case you need to salt your drinks on-the-go.

quote:

I like mixing eggs with oatmeal for breakfast, you get the rubbery texture of egg with the chewy consistency of oatmeal, it’s to die for.

quote:

My brother likes to add popcorn to his cereal. I tried it today, it's actually pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frown on my face just keeps getting bigger and bigger the further I get.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What got me was the salt water and the unskinned hot dogs.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm calling bullshit, nobody is out here peeling hot dogs except to gently caress with other redditors.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have to say the baked bean and egg pizza looked great. The others were nightmares.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

No Wave posted:

I have to say the baked bean and egg pizza looked great. The others were nightmares.

:shuckyes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:cursed:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
my ex wife's dad used to put ketchup on French toast and it was goddamned unsettling to behold

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

No honest person orders a steak well done.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

No Wave posted:

Yeah I thought that actually looked pretty okay which set the bar far too high for the rest of the post.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

I'm calling bullshit, nobody is out here peeling hot dogs except to gently caress with other redditors.

Isn't modern hot dog skin the result of the cooking process and not an actual thing?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Should have waited two more pages for that post, Leon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't modern hot dog skin the result of the cooking process and not an actual thing?

Pretty sure that all sausage casings (including hotdogs) are made from collagen in the meat. Google seems to confirm this.

The New York Times has an article about how "Premium" hotdogs are being sold skinless and uncured.

Apparently, de-skinning hotdogs is a much bigger thing than I thought.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/dining/hot-dog-guide.html

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

No Wave posted:

Oatmeal & egg patty guy might possibly be onto something too. It's not presented very well in the picture and described disgustingly, but taking those as base ingredients I could imagine crafting up something that works. It reminds me of some old vegetarian recipes for dinner patties recipes I've had. Those recipes usually including some type of nuts, so even his peanut butter spread might not be insane flavor-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

jemand posted:

Oatmeal & egg patty guy might possibly be onto something too. It's not presented very well in the picture and described disgustingly, but taking those as base ingredients I could imagine crafting up something that works. It reminds me of some old vegetarian recipes for dinner patties recipes I've had. Those recipes usually including some type of nuts, so even his peanut butter spread might not be insane flavor-wise.

I would provably just stir it to get egg fried oats like an egg fried rice.