Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I might consider that hardcore mode if the repair trailer came with 10 times the repair points and the cranes weren't weak rear end poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I reached Imanda last night, not sure why but I found the whole Kola area really beautiful, one of those cool lonely open world "I'm lost somewhere foreign" feelings that's rare.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Got a group of four of us looking to co-op this today on PC. Friend who already had the game hosts, two other friends can connect to his game just fine, but I get stuck in limbo and eventually punted back to the main menu, over and over again.

As I try to connect, I get the 'searching...' for a few moments, then all the text / UI disappears and I just get the animated background (which is very pretty) for a minute, then the menu re-appears

Tried fiddling with firewall settings, enabling, disabling, but no joy. Same happens if the friend tries to invite me - invite pops up, I hit enter, then limbo screensaver mode again before landing back at the main menu.

Couldn't find any logfiles or a hint of an error message so completely out of ideas on this. Any tips anyone has for me to try? This is the first time I've run into problems connecting to a game in quite some time and I'm baffled.

e - ok found a post with a load of possible ports to forward on the router, which is one thing I did not remember to check! off to fart about with that now ...

e2 - yep, made my PC the DMZ host to save fiddling with ports and was immediately able to join a game. Will figure out the ports needed later, just wanna go haul some wood for now.

Added these ports and it now works without needing to be a DMZ host, hoorj!
TCP: 11700-11710
UDP: 48800-49000

andyf fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 31, 2021

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

GhostDog posted:

I might consider that hardcore mode if the repair trailer came with 10 times the repair points and the cranes weren't weak rear end poo poo.

Seconded. Compared to doing hard mode in Spin Tires or Mudrunner, this games IMO still has too many bugs in co-op that will cause trucks/trailers to fly into the air or all of a sudden cause a ton of damage to to some random collision. Fully-powered cranes and more repair points would go a long way to alleviating these issues because manual recovery would be better.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Came back to this after a few months and man have I missed it.

I've been using the Tayga mostly and trying out others here and there, but it's there anything down the road (I'm currently level 15) that beats the Tayga? It just seems to sit right in the sweet spot of what you'd want a truck to do.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Tayga is limited in how you can equip it. I usually end up using the voron ae heavily but all the vorons are great. The game does a decent job of having no truck be "the best" for everything though, it's better to have variety in your garage

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jager posted:

Seconded. Compared to doing hard mode in Spin Tires or Mudrunner, this games IMO still has too many bugs in co-op that will cause trucks/trailers to fly into the air or all of a sudden cause a ton of damage to to some random collision. Fully-powered cranes and more repair points would go a long way to alleviating these issues because manual recovery would be better.

Thirded. Game is way too buggy to tolerate a hardcore mode like that. I've had to reset things plenty of times due to poo poo falling through the map or catapulting across the sky or just something getting stuck *in* the terrain rather than *on* the terrain. Plus the cranes in this game are indeed way too weak, they'd need to at the very least add an extra-heavy crane that can tip trucks back up, and probably adjust lift points to make it so that they physically can be tipped back up without wedging them against a rock or tree or something, having the only connection points be a single point on the bottom makes that difficult.

Even then the bugs need to go, they're way better than they were a year ago or whatever but still.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

OK hit the point where the game went from challenging to aggravating to me, and that is the 2 x armored cars mission.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

Tayga is limited in how you can equip it. I usually end up using the voron ae heavily but all the vorons are great. The game does a decent job of having no truck be "the best" for everything though, it's better to have variety in your garage

Gave the Voron AE a try and lol, you can really toss it around without rolling it. If I get a raised suspension for it, it'll be awesome.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

There's no cross save compatibility between PC and console versions of this game, correct?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

There's no cross save compatibility between PC and console versions of this game, correct?

Correct. On PC though you can just use a save editor and give yourself a million billion dollars and change your level to 30 to unlock everything if you feel like it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Getting back into Snowrunner after a long hiatus. Are any of the DLCs worth getting, or, more like, is either of the DLCs better overall and worth picking up. The Yukon one looks pretty from screenshots, but I wonder how much there is to do?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If you were starting a new game, what's the one truck you would head straight for now that you know what you have access to in the early game? Can you get to the ANK in Alaska once you unlock the garage? How about the Tayga in Russia?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

If you were starting a new game, what's the one truck you would head straight for now that you know what you have access to in the early game? Can you get to the ANK in Alaska once you unlock the garage? How about the Tayga in Russia?

IIRC at the start I would usually sell the pickup, do a couple of missions, sell the GMC and the Fleetstar and buy a Paystar. As far as the ANK and the Tayga, I don't know how to rush them, but that's OK - I'm very casual.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

Oldstench posted:

Getting back into Snowrunner after a long hiatus. Are any of the DLCs worth getting, or, more like, is either of the DLCs better overall and worth picking up. The Yukon one looks pretty from screenshots, but I wonder how much there is to do?

The Paystar and AZOV 64131 are generally regarded as the go-to starter trucks. Both have off-road tires and great performance in stock form. Personally between the two of them I think the AZOV is the better truck because the Paystar loves to tip-over and the AZOV has excellent fuel consumption/a large tank. That said, for my game I didn't get the AZOV until later since I wanted to be a bit thematic and only use NA trucks in NA and Russian trucks in Russia.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I'm confused - I'm asking about the Season DLCs. Why are you folks talking about trucks in the base game?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry, I kinda changed subjects and I think that other person meant to reply to me but quoted you by mistake. I haven't touched the DLC yet so I can't speak to that.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
Yup, wrong person quoted. Here is what my friends and I think of the DLCs after playing through them.

Kola Penninsula DLC:
-During the day, this area isn't as impressive looking as the Yukon because everything is shades of white snow and ice. During the night, Kola blows Yukon away due to the boreal lights skybox (very noticeable in co-op due to unskippable nights).
-The three DLC vehicles in this pack are all heavy scouts but they are all capable and add variety.
-The difficulty of this map is greater than all the other areas. Not for deep snow but due to the amount of large rocks and lack of winch points that can cause even the largest truck to be immobilized without help. The second map has a garage but multiple contracts have to be completed to unlock it for use.
-The final set of contracts were a great capstone to the DLC. They involved unique cargo and although the paths are difficult you only have to do them once.
-A new truck utility accessory and scout trailer with unique functionality were added.

Yukon DLC:
-Better looking in the day due to the variety of climates and terrain (from snow covered mountain tops to boggy swamps).
-The terrain is more interesting because of the amount of elevation change. One run you are crawling up the steep side of a mountain, the next you are fording a flat flooded river plain.
-Lots of new features: scavenging cargo from partially built structures, new facilities that let you craft cargo from other cargo, and depots that let you store cargo. We do not thing think they added much to the overall gameplay though.
-Two of the three DLC vehicles in this pack are specialized and because of that their use is limited. The third vehicle has nice performance but a tiny fuel tank.
-We found the final set of contracts tedious (and that says something in a game where the primary game loop is slowly hauling cargo from A->B). We quickly got tired of multiple trips hauling large amounts of normal cargo over the same paths just to complete a single contract.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Thank you very much.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

The royal bowel movement 17 is a really great truck early game and pretty easy to get to. you could use it as a good jumping off point to get some other trucks and it's still not going to totally trivialise the early maps

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Looks like the new Season just released.

What's everyone's favorite of each truck class - not necessarily what the best of class is. What do you have the most fun with?

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
Thanks for the heads-up about the new season.

Scout: Loadstar 1700
I love this scout. Excellent off-road capability, great looks, small size to fit just about anywhere I can drive it, and a fuel/repair utility add-on that isn't mounted to the roof negatively effecting the center of gravity like most other scouts. The only downside is the fuel consumption but snowrunner is pretty liberal with fuel sources in the middle of nowhere.

Offroad: Voron Grad
The Grad is my favorite all-around truck in the game. It seemly can do everything well.

Heavy: DAN 96320
Mainly influenced by dealing with the real life version (BAZ-6402). The Snowrunner version has great performance.

Heavy Duty: Fleetstar F2070A
This was my workhorse during my first time in Michigan so I think it being a favorite of mine is due to nostalgia.

Highway: GMC MH9500
I have no interest in playing a primarily off-road game with trucks that have no off-road capability. The GMC is my "favorite" of this class just because it has AWD.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I prefer the Voron A-53233. The Grad - and I'm still not sure if this is working as designed - does not accept a trailer if you have a crane on it, the A-53233 does.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I don't know why people love the grad so much when it's the one with no always locked diff. It is cool that it can use the big tyres with no lift though

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

No always locked diff makes for a better turn radius and in situations where you actually need it locked you're probably not going faster than low+ which allows it to be locked.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

big nipples big life posted:

No always locked diff makes for a better turn radius and in situations where you actually need it locked you're probably not going faster than low+ which allows it to be locked.

In addition, Snowrunner doesn't simulate always-on locking differential correctly. Trucks with "always-on" locking diffs have open diffs (but still somehow have worse turning radius) until one or more of the wheels start slipping then after a short delay the diff lock kick in. "Always-on" lock diffs in Snowrunner are basically the equivalent of an automatic transmission in that you are limiting your input and letting the system decide for you what is best. That said, I use "always on" diff lock trucks all the time in Snowrunner.

Snowrunner also doesn't simulate low gears correctly. Instead of low gears giving the truck a torque boost due to mechanical advantage in gearing and reducing wheel spin, the game has it programed so all low, low-, and low+ gears do is set a throttle limit.

Additional info on both here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/i3sigl/guide_awd_difflock_and_fuel_efficiency_aka/

The Voron D has great performance but I choose to use the Grad or AE instead because the D's repetitive squeaking noise annoys me if I try to drive it for more than a few minutes. I didn't know that the D could mount a knuckle crane, cargo bed, and tow a trailer which is definitely useful due to the amount of trailers the game places in the field. When I have the choice during 4 cargo slot hauls, I prefer to setup trucks with a knuckle crane and saddle to use semi-trailers since they put the cargo's weight on the truck's drive axles improving traction (towed trailers are just dead weight) and semi-trailers only have one point of articulation so maneuvering them is easier (I definitely do not have the driving skill to deal with two points of articulation when backing up a towed trailer, the trailer never goes where I want it). The main advantage of towed trailers is hitching up to them. In my experience the game is very picky about lining up a truck's saddle to the trailer pin compared to just backing up to a trailer and hitching it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
All always on diff locks get highway transmissions for me in the game.

Does a new season mean you have to buy a new season pass? Sorry if it’s a dumb question but I’m not near my Xbox right now.

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

namlosh posted:

All always on diff locks get highway transmissions for me in the game.

Does a new season mean you have to buy a new season pass? Sorry if it’s a dumb question but I’m not near my Xbox right now.

Good point about always-on locking diffs and highway transmissions.

"New season" probably means "new phase"
The only season pass they have offered (to my knowledge) includes phases 1-4 and some truck skins.
Phase 1: Kola DLC
Phase 2: Yukon DLC
Phase 3: Wisconsin DLC (just released the other day so I assume this is what is meant by new season)
Phase 4: not yet released DLC

The current season pass does not include the Navistar 5000-MV (pre-order bonus truck), Chevrolet Apache (stand-alone DLC truck), or Western Star 49X (stand-alone DLC truck).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

DLC trucks worth anything? I got the season pass but I dunno about more money/more trucks.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

All the people i played with stopped playing like cowards so if there's any coop goin on I'm happy to jump in and help and poo poo.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

All the people i played with stopped playing like cowards so if there's any coop goin on I'm happy to jump in and help and poo poo.

What platform? I'm on PS4.

Also, P16:1 Locomotive: 0.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

madeintaipei posted:

What platform? I'm on PS4.

Also, P16:1 Locomotive: 0.

PC

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

My wife and I play sometimes. PM me a good way to get in contact with you and I'll shoot you a message the next time we play.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Oldstench posted:

What's everyone's favorite of each truck class - not necessarily what the best of class is. What do you have the most fun with?

Heavy Duty - I like the White Western Star. It was a real challenge to retrieve it and I used it a lot once I got it.

Heavy - My favorite (though I might drive others more) is the Western Star Twinsteer. Being able to haul 4 units of cargo without having to deal with returning a trailer is nice. Some maps it just doesn't work on, though. Second favorite would be the DAN for the same reasons listed by Jager

Offroad - I like the KRS Bandit for muddy maps, but it's too unstable for snow. I'm currently using the STEP 310 on a snow map.

Scout - For pure "get anywhere" I think the TUZ 420 (the APC) is unbeatable. But it can't mount a trailer or do much other than scout. For that I use the Loadstar.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well that ain't how you spell "alpha" at all.

But English kinda sucks for that so whatever.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

did they add the hardcore mode yet?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
since there's gas stations all over wisconson, I started using the pacific 512 to haul long logs. I can only imagine what my involuntary narration sounds like when I drive it. just muttering "jesus this thing can go..." every so often.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh, come on, Saber Interactive. Bunch of Russians and they haven't given us a Volga Boatman mission?! Portage some barges into the river, load up heavy trucks with cargo onto the barges, clearing log jams and repairing factories along the way, using off-road trucks on narrow paths to move the barges or floating obstructions, etc. Maybe closing with a massive log boom delivery down river, using one of these tiny boom boats (the marine equivalent to a Cummins Dodge 2500):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3dxdqg2SfA

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
AWD: still the refuge of clowns and cowards

https://twitter.com/fired4anime/status/1365149175579512839

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I really wish they would let us improve the roads ourselves. Like, you let us have plywood, so let us dump them on the worst muddy bits in the middle of an otherwise usable road. There's no way truckers would move back and forth over a road like that and not even try to throw down something to make it safer.