Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah I do enjoy when the leading AI, ahead of me in tech, trades me for like 10 horses when we’re rollin around with tanks and battleships.

I always torch a few border villages during stupid AI surprise wars because if you hold one, it’ll always trigger an emergency later on. I then can move a settler to that region and pick an ideal spot to settle versus their normally crappy settling spot or district selection.

I’ll prolong wars just to pillage though. Especially later on in the game when the enemy Civ is heavily developed and I have subs. Great way to make some money/science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

CompeAnansi posted:

I really feel like they need to reduce the penalties for killing someone who declares a surprise war on you. They were literally asking for it. It is so bad that after wiping out someone who tried to bully me, in the next few years I often get 1-2 more wars declared on me by other AI that were pissed that I defended myself. That shouldn't happen.

It's like Dany at the end of GoT "Why is everyone picking on me, they attacked me first, it's only fair I took their capital"

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Marmaduke! posted:

It's like Dany at the end of GoT "Why is everyone picking on me, they attacked me first, it's only fair I took their capital"

Yeah, exactly!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
PIllaging is also really powerful and under utilized by inexperienced players. The yields you can get from loving up juicy targets like Campus' and Commercial hubs and luxury improvements can help propel you ahead of the AI by giving you resources while denying them theirs, and forcing them to spend production on repairs.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 7, 2021

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Leveled up light cavalry loving up their growth and making you bank is 50% the purpose of wars

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I recommend playing a game as Norway and building way fewer campuses/theater squares than you usually do. It is super easy to keep up so long as you've got land to pillage and it will make you appreciate just how much loot is just sitting around on the map for future playthroughs.

Plus it's a way to cripple the AI that's been pissing you off with no grievances, emergencies, or lovely border cities.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Another thing I continuously see from friends who are newer or encounter seeing in conversations where players are trying to figure out whats going on is that people just dont proactively cultivate relationships with the AI through trade and gifts and such. When you build good recurring friendships and eventually alliances these relationships will weather the grievances generated from you loving up another AI pretty well.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Rimusutera posted:

Another thing I continuously see from friends who are newer or encounter seeing in conversations where players are trying to figure out whats going on is that people just dont proactively cultivate relationships with the AI through trade and gifts and such. When you build good recurring friendships and eventually alliances these relationships will weather the grievances generated from you loving up another AI pretty well.

Continuing from this train of thought, one tip to keep in mind is that when you meet a new civ, the built-in instant diplomatic penalties that come from agendas and the like don't actually kick in until the next turn after you meet them. So when you meet a civ you can almost always instantly get the diplomatic bonus from sending a delegation, and you can even immediately declare friendship with Gilgamesh this way! It's a small thing but early in the game that small bonus can mean the difference between being able to swing an early friendship or favorable trade deal or being told to piss off forever.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Or having war declared on you within like ten turns.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
That falls under getting told to piss off.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Have the devs ever said why they limit the number of possible religions? It's really drat annoying to be playing a civ with very specifically religion-focused abilities and then, 40 turns in, be completely cut off from using any of them. Time to restart my attempt at a Philip II game for the fifth time...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

showbiz_liz posted:

Have the devs ever said why they limit the number of possible religions? It's really drat annoying to be playing a civ with very specifically religion-focused abilities and then, 40 turns in, be completely cut off from using any of them. Time to restart my attempt at a Philip II game for the fifth time...

I don't know if they've ever said as much but I'm pretty sure they really want to have religious blocs be a thing where you can have multiple civs invested in the same religion and working together, instead of a zero sum game where the only way for two civs to share a religion is for one to kill the other's native religion (which would tend to make them enemies rather than allies.)

Not that it ever works like that, of course.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Fortunately in Spain's case, they don't need to have founded a religion to get their bonus of ... +4 combat strength against other players following different religions? The downside is that you're playing as Spain, a civ whose abilities can be summed up as "confused and aimless."

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

Fortunately in Spain's case, they don't need to have founded a religion to get their bonus of ... +4 combat strength against other players following different religions? The downside is that you're playing as Spain, a civ whose abilities can be summed up as "confused and aimless."

Byzantium feels like Spain done right. The religion/domination mix is just so much nicer there.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah both Spain and Georgia get flak for not having an advantage for founding a religion but their abilities work with an adopted one just as well, its actually really interesting game design. I'd suggest just playing a game through as them.

I think the thing that would make that intended bloc system work would be to make religions controllable by someone besides their founded and develop a system for that, perhaps like a mini congress.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 8, 2021

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rimusutera posted:

Yeah both Spain and Georgia get flak for not having an advantage for founding a religion but their abilities work with an adopted one just as well, its actually really interesting game design. I'd suggest just playing a game through as them.

Georgia's big problem is that it is just bad.....it has good walls, which is neat, but their unique wall is unimpressive. Not to mention protectorate war faith gain isn't anything to write home about, protectorate wars usually happen way before you are set up to actually stop the ai from taking your city state or able to adequately push on the ai yourself, and while the ability to chain golden ages is nice, it just doesn't stack enough to make Georgia a meaningful competitor with other civs. Georgia feels as close to a blank civ with no real bonuses as you can get in the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm a big fan of this modded Spain. More focused on war with getting a free Grand Master's Chapel and a more focused combat bonus, gaining +7 combat strength near cities that do not follow your religion.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=898098597

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rimusutera posted:

I think the thing that would make that intended bloc system work would be to make religions controllable by someone besides their founded and develop a system for that, perhaps like a mini congress.

New Religious units: Popes and Anti-Popes.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I recommend playing a game as Norway and building way fewer campuses/theater squares than you usually do. It is super easy to keep up so long as you've got land to pillage and it will make you appreciate just how much loot is just sitting around on the map for future playthroughs.

Plus it's a way to cripple the AI that's been pissing you off with no grievances, emergencies, or lovely border cities.

This is so true. You will even see it in your end score, by far my highest score ever was with a pillage heavy Norway, and it isn't even close.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Rimusutera posted:

Early on you even see that boost message that's like "the growth of your religion comes with the threat of schisms"... would be very cool to actually make that happen mechanically. Like maybe adopt someone else's religion and then swap one of the beliefs for another one?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to installing this after the Epic Store giveaway. Apparently I have one expansion too. Can someone give me a summary of the different DLCs and what they offer? (I've never played a Civ game before but I always get FOMO so I know I'll be wanting to purchase some DLC soon despite the fact I probably won't sink many hours into it)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Looten Plunder posted:

Finally got around to installing this after the Epic Store giveaway. Apparently I have one expansion too. Can someone give me a summary of the different DLCs and what they offer? (I've never played a Civ game before but I always get FOMO so I know I'll be wanting to purchase some DLC soon despite the fact I probably won't sink many hours into it)

The important ones are the Rise and Fall expansion, and the Gathering Storm expansion. I'd get those for sure (particularly Rise and Fall), even on a first playthrough. Then there's a bunch of culture packs, which add in news states to play as or against. And finally there's the New Frontier, which has been coming out for the last year and is basically a bunch of twists and modifiers mixed with some additional cultures.

Here's a detailed look at all the DLC:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-dlc-worth-it

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just dipped my toe back into some Civ 4 tonight and whoo boy is it way better at the Just One More Turn effect, somehow.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can I buy expansions from other websites and activate it on the Epic Store version of the game? For example, Rise & Fall appears to be on special on Green Man gaming. Will that key work on Epic?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Looten Plunder posted:

Can I buy expansions from other websites and activate it on the Epic Store version of the game? For example, Rise & Fall appears to be on special on Green Man gaming. Will that key work on Epic?

Green man specifically gives steam codes, so I don't think so

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
All good, got it on Humble Store.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Is it just me or is the AI much more bloodthirsty since the latest update? Trajan in particular hasn't just been conquering nearby city states, he's been razing them. Like, gently caress, dude, I was nearly Preslav's suzerain.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I noticed that too. Normally, when I get the “unnamed city state conquered” notification I know either Tomyris or ze Germans are in the game. Now fuckin Seondok and Peter are conquering city states. And yet somehow I’m the only player on the map that doesn’t get to vote on the emergency.

At least it’ll give me someone to liberate later when I’m bored.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Bob A Feet posted:

I noticed that too. Normally, when I get the “unnamed city state conquered” notification I know either Tomyris or ze Germans are in the game. Now fuckin Seondok and Peter are conquering city states. And yet somehow I’m the only player on the map that doesn’t get to vote on the emergency.

At least it’ll give me someone to liberate later when I’m bored.

I can't even liberate them! There's just a smoking ruin!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I see this is currently on sale. As someone who loved Civ 4 and found 5 okay but not as good as 4, is this worth picking up?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

axeil posted:

So I see this is currently on sale. As someone who loved Civ 4 and found 5 okay but not as good as 4, is this worth picking up?

I played a ton of 4 and I've really come around on 6. It's pretty different but very enjoyable. I'd recommend it. Def get the major expansions. Starting out if youre not sure who to pick Rome is a good all around civ to start with.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I’d say so. After playing the two expansions (Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm), I couldn’t do vanilla again. I’d advise for your minimum purchase to at least account for those. They’ve been pouring content into the game via the Frontier Pass (content updates every other month), so if you like the game you can buy that later.

I play it on Switch and love it. The computer version is ultimately better than that too.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah the platinum edition is on sale. Is that the one I should get? It has everything but the new frontier pass.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Frontier pass content is really only useful once you've gotten tired of the basic gameplay and need variety, it's all additive optional modes and extra civs and the platinum version (which is everything except the pass) has like 40 to be going on with. With it not being complete yet and at current sale prices I imagine it costs as much as the platinum edition does on its own anyhow. Easy skip until you've sank 100s of hours into the main game

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
don't forget to check out any mods, there's tons of cool stuff nowadays

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

axeil posted:

I was a sucker for 4 and found 5 okay and so coming from that I say 6 is worth getting into. Its a huge improvement over 5.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I bought 6 at release like a sucker, and I'm not spending another penny until they finish making content and I can buy the "Everything" edition.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I remember a lot of talk that the best Civ was Civ 5 with the Vox Populi mod.

Is that still a thing, or did they manage to screw it up?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
According to the internet, both Civ 5 and 6 were worse than their predecessors until the second expansion or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
vox populi is nice, if a little buggy sometimes, but it has a weird bloat based on the number of times your game has been saved, so turn off autosaves unless you want to leave in the middle of the game to resume the next day only to find that it takes five minutes to load your file, if it loads at all