Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Jupiter Jazz posted:

At the risk of sounding utterly pedantic:

Reading War and Peace has satiated a deep hunger in me that has panged me for so long. Growing up I loved RPGs and deep stories with an entire roster of fascinating characters to note and keep track of. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden, Tactics Ogre, Fallout, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate would fill my proverbial stomach with the most delightful of tastes: philosophy, war, loyalty, legacy, morality.

A big reason I've fallen away from video games is that I feel the higher the budget the less we likely we get these kinds of experiences. Today's games - and especially RPGs - are for wish fulfillment, not stating something important. The past decade I've solely read non-fiction works, far more interested in the mechanisms of this world than the ones of fantasy, yet all this time I've craved deep stories like those of my youth where I had to get out a notebook to make sense of the characters and world. As I read War and Peace, for the first time in the longest of time I feel full. Going through a story that makes me question my very being and every chapter makes me lick my fingers, as if finishing off a delightful meal.

War and Peace has single-handedly reignited a love for literature and reading fiction again. I'm thinking of reading Crime and Punishment after. Reading Tolstoy has helped me accept how much I've grown out of video games yet still cherish the experiences I had when I was younger. I'll devote more time to literature instead of continuing to chase something that's not there anymore.

welcome, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
FF tactics is cool. I like the part where you get branded as a heretic and then kill God.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jupiter Jazz posted:

War and Peace has single-handedly reignited a love for literature and reading fiction again. I'm thinking of reading Crime and Punishment after.
Ooh, what you want is The Brothers Karamazov. I recommend the older Penguin edition translated by David Magarshack, although the current Oxford edition (Ignat Avsey) is also good. There's also the Andrew McAndrew version published by Bantam, which is a more smooth and streamlined English read to get into; that one was my introduction.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 9, 2021

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

KVeezy3 posted:

FF tactics is cool. I like the part where you get branded as a heretic and then kill God.

I like the part where the man that gains everything loses everything.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ooh, what you want is The Brothers Karamazov. I recommend the older Penguin edition translated by David Magarshack, although the current Oxford edition (Ignat Avsey) is also good. The Andrew McAndrew version published by Bantam is a more smooth and streamlined English read to get into.

Why Brothers?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Why Brothers?

IDK ask their dad.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I like the part where the man that gains everything loses everything.

Why Brothers?

More of the large cast of characters / family history type stuff. C+P is a smaller cast and more direct story afaik.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

derp posted:

More of the large cast of characters / family history type stuff.

Yessss

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There's a hell of a lot more in it and to it. Crime and Punishment is really just about one jerkoff, while The Brothers Karamazov follows three brothers who are only kinda jerkoffs and goes all over the place with them, including a part where one writes a biography that gets dumped in its entirety into the middle of the book like a side quest. It's hardly perfect (Ivan's story is hard to take seriously by the end, and the whole thing is full of the histrionics that turn a lot of people off Dostoyevsky), but it's still pretty much my favorite book.

ed: beaten :o:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 9, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Everyone should read it because of the The Legend of the Grand Inquisitor, a chapter so good it has been sipped out and sold as its own book.

It's why I read Brothers.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

speaking from experience, I would avoid the Constance Garnett translation of The Brothers Karamazov if possible. I believe someone ITT called their translations "bowdlerized Victorian trash" which validated what I went through...

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hers was the translation of C+P i read and i loved it :shrug:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

speaking from experience, I would avoid the Constance Garnett translation of The Brothers Karamazov if possible. I believe someone ITT called their translations "bowdlerized Victorian trash" which validated what I went through...
Garnett's fine. Not perfect (and not as good a public-domain Russian translator as the Maudes, whose translations were personally endorsed by Tolstoy), but that's a ridiculous description of her, especially compared to the Victorian bowdlerizers who trashed 19th-century French literature. It's better to read revised editions that address her errata (Modern Library has some very good ones; their version of her The Idiot is my favorite translation of that book), but the originals are solid in their own right. I would not recommend her translation of The Brothers Karamazov, though, as it renders the Grand Inquisitor monologue in distracting thee-thou King James language for no discernible reason.

The Russian translators I recommend avoiding are Pevear and Volokhonsky (on whom I've harped more than enough) and Rosemary Edmonds (responsible for probably the worst possible version of Anna Karenina's opening line).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 9, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm reading Karamazov right now and can vouch that it's amazing. I don't know what it is with russian writers but they seem to have a much better grasp of characterization then most of the anglosphere. I actually had to put down War and Peace, It was fantastic but one of the main guys reminded me too much of a buddy of mine.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm reading Karamazov right now and can vouch that it's amazing. I don't know what it is with russian writers but they seem to have a much better grasp of characterization then most of the anglosphere. I actually had to put down War and Peace, It was fantastic but one of the main guys reminded me too much of a buddy of mine.

Whom?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I actually went looking in my room and found my copy with the bookmark still in it I'd gotten exactly fifty pages into the Penguin classics version.

Anyways I had to google the characters but it looks like it was Pierre Bezukhov. I obviously didn't get far into the novel, but it seems like he was a guy who was trying his best to follow a moral life but was absolutely incapable of resisting others who would try and bring him down. I think it was a passage where he had just left a party or something and was trying to get things straight in his life before and then got dragged off into a brothel right afterwards.

Not to get too deep into it but this was right around the time when my best friend had gotten way deep into meth because of the group of friends he'd keep. He lost his job, his parent's disowned him, and his girlfriend of five years left him. Me, my other buddy, and his dad finally got him into rehab, and he went into the Military after that. He seems to be doing a lot better now, but when I was reading the book was right in the middle of the worst of his addiction and seeing someone the character reminded me so much of him. It's truly one of the only times I've ever felt cut right down to my soul. I just couldn't read it without thinking of him.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

Jupiter Jazz posted:

At the risk of sounding utterly pedantic:

Reading War and Peace has satiated a deep hunger in me that has panged me for so long. Growing up I loved RPGs and deep stories with an entire roster of fascinating characters to note and keep track of. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden, Tactics Ogre, Fallout, Planescape, and Baldur's Gate would fill my proverbial stomach with the most delightful of tastes: philosophy, war, loyalty, legacy, morality.

A big reason I've fallen away from video games is that I feel the higher the budget the less we likely we get these kinds of experiences. Today's games - and especially RPGs - are for wish fulfillment, not stating something important. The past decade I've solely read non-fiction works, far more interested in the mechanisms of this world than the ones of fantasy, yet all this time I've craved deep stories like those of my youth where I had to get out a notebook to make sense of the characters and world. As I read War and Peace, for the first time in the longest of time I feel full. Going through a story that makes me question my very being and every chapter makes me lick my fingers, as if finishing off a delightful meal.

War and Peace has single-handedly reignited a love for literature and reading fiction again. I'm thinking of reading Crime and Punishment after. Reading Tolstoy has helped me accept how much I've grown out of video games yet still cherish the experiences I had when I was younger. I'll devote more time to literature instead of continuing to chase something that's not there anymore.

Maybe a very obvious suggestion but if you want a big old list of characters 100 Years of Solitude is what you want.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I’m reading Player Piano by Vonnegut, and it’s really interesting to see the predictions about a possible future. The difference between horrible jobs vs ‘you need a graduate degree’ jobs, with nothing in-between is really relevant. There’s some fun ‘giant computer to play checkers’ 50s futurism and ‘we tax the business owners on what they would have paid laborers’ (ha) moments, but so far it’s been a really interesting ride in his imagined future. I’ve only read Cat’s Cradle in high school and Slaughterhouse 5 a few years back, but I forgot how much I like his writing style.

Also reading Joyce’s Dubliners and An Encounter reminds me of my grandma’s hosed up stories of growing up in the 20s with park perverts not being a big deal to the same degree they are now. Also reminded me of Pink Flamongoes where Raymond Marble attaches a giant sausage to his cock to scare and rob women in the park.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 15, 2021

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Watching the new Adam Curtis joint and I'm just now learning about Eduard Limonov. Guy seems kind of like a horrible mix of Mishima and Bret Easton Ellis, but I'm intrigued. Has anyone here read any of his stuff?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Watching the new Adam Curtis joint and I'm just now learning about Eduard Limonov. Guy seems kind of like a horrible mix of Mishima and Bret Easton Ellis, but I'm intrigued. Has anyone here read any of his stuff?

The new doc dropped?!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The North Tower posted:

The new doc dropped?!

it's a six parter, strap in gamer

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

it's a six parter, strap in gamer

Good Lord it’s 7 hours! This is everything I ever wanted.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

smug n stuff posted:

Read Saramago’s Death with Interruptions, my first of his. I know it’s supposed to be one of his lesser books, but I really enjoyed it, especially the more meandering, discursive first part. Will have to read Blindness at some point.

I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of authors from the Baltics?

Missed this, but outside of aforementioned Aberts Bels (Insomnia is probably more easily available atm, but The Cage should be reissued soon and is his more famous work), I suggest checking out Zigmunds Skujiņš from Latvia (Flesh-Coloured Dominoes were republished recently), Škėma/Gavelis from Lithuania (White Shroud and Vilnius Poker respectively) and Andrus Kivirähk from Estonia (The Man Who Spoke Snakish is fantastic). The biggest Estonian name in fiction is Jaan Kross, although his kind of big historic novels aren't really my thing. But a lot of people are really into him, so it might be worth checking out The Czar's Madman at least.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Emmanuel Carrčre wrote a very good book about him if you want to understand him more.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

yes, he's great. it was funny when Curtis was talking about him not being published because of his radical ideas when really its because half the book is about him sucking black guys dicks and whining about his life

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Recently I discovered that I can appreciate novels written in my adopted tongue (outside of little experiments with The Little Prince and The Tunnel, and essay collections) so I've started reading some classic Latin American literature. Before this I had almost never read, but I've really been enjoying it. I finished 100 Years of Solitude about 3 weeks ago, and god the ending was such a well written sequence. I then moved onto Hopscotch, first reading it the linear way and then being so engaged that I instantly turned around and finished the non-linear path tonight. It is such an amazing book. I'm still a neophyte with this type of literature, but it's so interesting to see something that was truly avant garde in its day. It's the first book I've ever taken notes on. I'm leaving myself a few days to digest that text before I move on to The Obscene Bird of Night.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

He's a solid writer if you like Mishima, Celine, that sort of vibe. I've read It's Me, Eddie which is about

mistermojo posted:

sucking black guys dicks and whining about his life

and it's good. I have also read Diary of a Loser which has some real hosed-up parts but is also good. He does homoeroticism very well, writes 'exquisite narcissism' a la Mishima. In the late 90s he wrote a column for old expat Moscow paper The eXile in beautifully broken English, most of those articles aren't worth reading but a couple are very good and funny, like one where he talks how he stormed Ostankino with his boys and had a special forces detachment open fire on them. Or the one where he complains about how, now that Brodsky is dead, he's lonely because he's the last Master of Literature left.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I can't watch the Adam Curtis doc because I'm in the USA :(

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Thanks for the Limonov recs everyone. He sounds like fun. At least he'd better be, since I'm pretty sure researching him has got me on google's list of potential nazbol sickos.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

I can't watch the Adam Curtis doc because I'm in the USA :(

Yeah you can. It's on thoughtmaybe.com. Which seems pretty legal to me.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just finished JR by Gaddis. Hilarious and terrifying book. Interesting to read it during the GME craze as many realize the farce that is the stock market.

Now reading The Incompletes by Sergio Chejfec. Just discovered this guy but he is very much my thing. Like walking through a dream.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Thanks for the Limonov recs everyone. He sounds like fun. At least he'd better be, since I'm pretty sure researching him has got me on google's list of potential nazbol sickos.

Yeah you can. It's on thoughtmaybe.com. Which seems pretty legal to me.

Thank you!

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

thehoodie posted:

Just finished JR by Gaddis. Hilarious and terrifying book. Interesting to read it during the GME craze as many realize the farce that is the stock market.

Now reading The Incompletes by Sergio Chejfec. Just discovered this guy but he is very much my thing. Like walking through a dream.

Got JR as an audiobook as someone recommended it in another thread and could not get into it at all. Probably easier as an actual book I imagine

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A JR audiobook sounds absolutely hilarious.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
So not only is everyone in this thread intimately acquainted with Yukio Mishima, but he was also a big fascist??? drat :(

I read Confessions of a Mask solely because of my Saint Sebastian obsession (which led me down some other deep rabbit holes, including back issues of the surrealist magazine Minotaure and The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí, which is his autobiography but might as well be literature by the flagrancy of his inventions). I had never heard of him in any context up to that point.

Can't I just fetishize male armpits and develop a choking shame about my own perverse sexuality in peace, without keeping company with nationalists??

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the virgin book barn reader versus the chad ultranationalist writer

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

snailshell posted:

he was also a big fascist???

i'm the most left person i know and who fuckin cares, lol. he's been dead for 50 years and his books have nothing to do with fascism. he was also a big fuckin loser who killed himself. so what, he wrote real good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Him being an ultranationalist makes his writing more Interesting, now you can consider how his work reflects on his actual life and ponder what drove home to make the decisions that he made. Or just summarily dismiss a dead man for having the wrong politics I guess.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone knows that obsessed weirdos create the best art

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

snailshell posted:

So not only is everyone in this thread intimately acquainted with Yukio Mishima, but he was also a big fascist??? drat :(

I read Confessions of a Mask solely because of my Saint Sebastian obsession (which led me down some other deep rabbit holes, including back issues of the surrealist magazine Minotaure and The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí, which is his autobiography but might as well be literature by the flagrancy of his inventions). I had never heard of him in any context up to that point.

Can't I just fetishize male armpits and develop a choking shame about my own perverse sexuality in peace, without keeping company with nationalists??

who cares as long as it's good

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

snailshell posted:

Mishima is interesting because his mind and outlook are absolutely OTHER than my American versions of the same.

A Japanese descendant of an aristocrat, an abusive father who destroyed his son's manuscripts (and held him up to speeding trains to "toughen him") and a samurai clan, who was 20 when the US bombed Hirsoshima & Nagasaki is going to have OPINIONS. Dude's grandma wouldn't let him into the sun for three years. Or talk to any other kids. Wanting to conserve what you could lose against influence from the people who vaporized ~220,000 of your people in two days isn't hard to sympathize with. His militia was even unarmed!

Which isn't any of it apology for nationalism or WWII Japan, but to say there's a contradictory human here who is worth more than one word. Lumping someone like that in with generic MAGA nationalists vying to sustain American white non-culture isn't the take.

If he wrote books about killing all the weak people instead of loathing his own weakness while getting horny for the glistening of chiseled male abs, he wouldn't have been translated out of Japanese, and we'd have a case for not reading him.

Edit: lol thread goes hard for Mishima.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sun and steel is the best mishima work don't @ me