Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yes... and?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

I’ve never seen this before and it’s amazing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh...I thought I had her just about every bullshit reason not to wear a mask, but “it’s not romantic” is new to me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Freedom of speech just means you can't get arrested for what you say, it doesn't mean you're free from people reacting to what you say in negative ways.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

What conservative views was she posting about Lester?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Freedom of speech just means you can't get arrested for what you say, it doesn't mean you're free from people reacting to what you say in negative ways.

Consequences for what I say are Communism. :argh:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Nenonen posted:

One thing I'm willing to swear on is that alcoholics don't wear masks or care about social distancing.
Hey, clinically-speaking I've got a problem but I'm not a loving rear end in a top hat

That said this is precisely why I was in support of closing bars at 10 PM instead of 2 AM

"not all drunks"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If I ever win the lottery I'm going to commission billboards that say "freedom of speech does not mean 'right to a captive audience' or 'freedom from consequences of that speech'.

Scallywag."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I prefer to see it as an argument to nationalize Twitter.

Edit: or maybe nationalize Disney

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edmund Lava posted:

What conservative views was she posting about Lester?
It's amazing how fast they tell on themselves. Celebrity says something anti-semitic and gets fired. Right-wingers go "she was fired for saying something conservative!"
So conservative = anti-semitic. It's not that this is a surprise, everyone knew it already, it's just rare to see them admit to it so readily.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

It's amazing how fast they tell on themselves. Celebrity says something anti-semitic and gets fired. Right-wingers go "she was fired for saying something conservative!"
So conservative = anti-semitic. It's not that this is a surprise, everyone knew it already, it's just rare to see them admit to it so readily.

It's not just anti-antisemitism, she has also posted a lot of transphobic garbage in the past, as well. I think part of the reason she got fired is, there have been previous rounds of her mocking a marginalized group, outrage, rumors of Disney firing her, and her inflamatory posts and comments stopping for a time. Clearly, she has had plenty of previous warnings about this and Disney has gotten sick of the exact same poo poo happening every 3 months.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I dont know posted:

It's not just anti-antisemitism, she has also posted a lot of transphobic garbage in the past, as well. I think part of the reason she got fired is, there have been previous rounds of her mocking a marginalized group, outrage, rumors of Disney firing her, and her inflamatory posts and comments stopping for a time. Clearly, she has had plenty of previous warnings about this and Disney has gotten sick of the exact same poo poo happening every 3 months.

Also I would bet money she said something gross about Pedro Pascal's sister, at that point if Disney keeps her the star talent quits because of a hostile work environment

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

“Can I get fired for expressing my conservative opinion?”
If you try hard enough, sure.

“We don’t actually have any children, we’re just here to randomly steal things from the university.”

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The man is supposed to be the United States so yes, they are your kids. Ever person born here or has moved here is your kid. You’re a dead beat dad who doesn’t feed them, get them to a doctor when they’re sick, or pay for their education but you’re the first in line to demand money from them to give to your rich buddies and fund your gun collection. gently caress you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Folks should try turning that argument around. It shouldn't be "why should taxpayers be forced to pay for other individuals' education", it should be "why should taxpayers reap the benefit of a highly educated society while forcing individuals to pay for it".

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 15, 2021

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Fister Roboto posted:

Folks should try turning that argument around. It shouldn't be "why should taxpayers be forced to pay for other individuals' education", it should be "why should taxpayers reap the benefit of a highly educated society while forcing individuals to pay for it".

Lol as if they believe education is helpful to society. Their anti-education rhetoric seems stronger than ever. The animosity toward teachers in general is often confusingly severe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, there are plenty of ostensibly smart people who think that college shouldn't be free. That's more elitism than anti-intellectualism.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as a college professor, I believe that college should absolutely be free for anyone who wants a degree.

it should also be a fair bit harder, with a lot fewer passing grades given out.

and there should be some kind of a law banning HR dolts from putting stupid unrealistic academic requirements on entry-level jobs. the majority of people getting BA degrees are doing it not out of any love of learning or training necessity, but because it's a checkbox. that's stupid.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

as a college professor, I believe that college should absolutely be free for anyone who wants a degree.

it should also be a fair bit harder, with a lot fewer passing grades given out.

and there should be some kind of a law banning HR dolts from putting stupid unrealistic academic requirements on entry-level jobs. the majority of people getting BA degrees are doing it not out of any love of learning or training necessity, but because it's a checkbox. that's stupid.

Oh! yeah and let's stop stigmatizing non-collegiate professions or degrees. I hate seeing my high schoolers stress and fret about needing to get into a good college when they clearly are not meant for academia and telling them otherwise doesn't change a thing.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Donald Trump’s Funeral

Ted Rall posted:

Whatever happened to Donald Trump politically in the future, it’s clear what his day-to-day life is going to look like: subpoenas, depositions, and countless investigations. The way things are looking now, who knows? Maybe he’ll even be impeached again.

First Dog on the Moon: How the Morrison government is working to save the environment (mainly from those pesky environmentalists)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Somfin posted:

Man what the gently caress happened to this dude, did he get brain damage conservatism

I remember his poo poo used to be quite poignant but apparently actually seeing a whole society working together to try to beat a disease is just a sign of decline

He's always preached environmentalism through individualism which, when you get down to it, is basically "gently caress you got mine" except the "mine" in this case refers to nature and a lovely old campervan

He hates coal power plants because they ruin his poo poo but would hate being ordered to do anything to help the environment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh! yeah and let's stop stigmatizing non-collegiate professions or degrees. I hate seeing my high schoolers stress and fret about needing to get into a good college when they clearly are not meant for academia and telling them otherwise doesn't change a thing.

Yeah 100%. There's a pervasive attitude in high school guidance offices that's basically "if it's at all possible for you to go to university, you need to go to university." I know a lot of people -- people I graduated with and some of my own students now -- who absolutely aren't getting anything out of university and would be much happier in a trade program. Don't go and waste four years getting a BA in Business just to be a salesman at the Chevy dealership and never use anything you learned. Go to trade school and spend half the time and a quarter the money becoming an electrician and you'll be making $25/hr at age 20 and $70,000 a year at 24 when your apprenticeship is over.

Note that I'm not saying university should be job training, either. In fact it explicitly is not meant to be a trade school; an undergraduate degree is meant to be a broad study of different topics and a preparatory program for further study (e.g. towards a Ph.D), a professional degree (e.g. medicine), or direct entry into a professional field (e.g. architecture). It should stay that way. Setting a minimum requirement of a BA to work at anything bigger than a call center cheapens the whole deal because you get tons of people who are now treating it as some sort of checkbox and they just want to get out as fast as possible rather than taking electives or participating in the academic community and it's just all BULLSHIT aaaaaaaaa

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 15, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

The way I look at it, when you’re paying for college you’re really paying twice. You’re paying in money and then also you’re paying in the natural result of contributing to a highly educated society for the rest of your life.

Edit: oh yeah, and three times if you are forgoing income during that time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Longitudinal studies have shown that higher education, even as applied in America, has something like a 50:1 return on investment. Every dollar spent in education generates 50 dollars of economic good for the country. With a rate like that, politicians should be fighting to divert as much money as possible to universities.

The problem is that those 50 dollars are returned (1) over the course of a couple of decades, and (2) to everyone in society instead of one person's bank account. Ergo people find the idea revolting. It's the exact same reason that private capital refuses to fund basic research. The government, at least in theory, is fine with putting a billion dollars into science and reaping 20 billion over the next 20 years as new discoveries are put into practice. Venture capitalists want something that will give them money back directly into their bank account within the next 3 years and preferably sooner

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 15, 2021

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Fixed or something :effort:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Rall and the chuds like to pretend that he wasn't impeached while in office, and the reason the trial didn't happen then is McConnell wouldn't let it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The impeachment was also less about removing him from office (because he was already getting out anyway) and more about attempting to prohibit him from holding office again in the future. That's what annoys me about that Rall and also that one that was like "Impeach Richard Nixon, Impeach Andrew Jackson again." They're dead, there's no danger of them running for president again. Also Andrew Jackson served two full terms so he's disqualified from running again even if he somehow rose from the grave.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
She's not an employee of Disney, she's under contract. A contract that most certainly stipulates that talking a bunch of bullshit in public is grounds for cancelation. She can go whine to SAG and see if they give a rats arse.

I hope they just replace her with a Muslim Trans-male and claim they had to change their appearance with a hyper transmogrifier to go on a undercover rebel mission. That would piss both her and nerds off.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Donald Trump’s Funeral

Rall’s blurb makes it clear that he thinks Trump deserves to be investigated, subpoenaed, and impeached repeatedly, but his cartoon is indistinguishable from any right-winger’s “those Dems have Trump Derangement Syndrome and will never stop being craaaaaaaaaaazy about Orange Man Bad!!!!!!!!!!!”

A Bad Cartoon.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also Andrew Jackson served two full terms so he's disqualified from running again even if he somehow rose from the grave.

Well we wasn't at the time he left office, but...

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

That doesn't look remotely like Mark Cuban.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hey, anyone remember what Lester’s reaction to Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem was? I’m gonna guess it wasn’t talking about how unfair it was the NFL blacklisted him for his free speech

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Love that mastery of perspective on the back of the car. And the bushes getting out of the way of that "millenial"

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hey, anyone remember what Lester’s reaction to Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem was? I’m gonna guess it wasn’t talking about how unfair it was the NFL blacklisted him for his free speech

Yeah but a piece of cloth and some lovely nationalist music was involved there so it's totally different!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Oh ho ho, libs, it is you who is owned, because

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vib Rib posted:

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1050391663552671744

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm one bad day away from just going SPEAK, COWARD and staring down whomever tries this bullshit on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

He's always preached environmentalism through individualism which, when you get down to it, is basically "gently caress you got mine" except the "mine" in this case refers to nature and a lovely old campervan

He hates coal power plants because they ruin his poo poo but would hate being ordered to do anything to help the environment

From what I've seen of Leunig, working together as a society toward a communal benefit for any reason is sheeple and 1984 to him