Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sibling of TB posted:

Now I want a mask with "back the gently caress off" written all over it in tiny font.

"If you can read this, gently caress off six feet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Did a delivery yesterday to an upscale car dealership. Windows were plastered with signs about how serious they are taking Covid and the multiple cleanings a day.

So naturally the first rear end in a top hat I see leaving has his mask on his chin.

The second, right inside, has his mask on desk, and he quickly puts it on when I get close.

He directs me to Assholes 3 and 4 in the office behind him. Neither with mask on, laughing and sitting close, and at least 4 looks ashamed when I walk in to offer the package, and quickly dons his mask.

THE MASKS DO NOTHING UNLESS YOU WEAR THEM.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If this thing mutates in a way that makes it more virulent we are so very hosed. It has been a spectacular metaphor for climate change.

"This thing is very dangerous and has long lasting implications we haven't begun to understand, but I won't take it seriously until it's standing on my balls in high heels."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The real disease is conservatism; COVID-19 is just the symptom. There's only one cure for conservatism.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If this thing mutates in a way that makes it more virulent we are so very hosed. It has been a spectacular metaphor for climate change.

"This thing is very dangerous and has long lasting implications we haven't begun to understand, but I won't take it seriously until it's standing on my balls in high heels."

Bad news:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/12/kent-coronavirus-variant-what-you-need-to-know-in-500-words

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Really is too bad people don't take illnesses seriously any more. There were anti-maskers in the bad old days ( 1918 Spanish flu represent ) but enough people got their poo poo rocked that there was some kind of respect for illness and the gravity of disease.

It's like war in that we haven't a cultural living memory of how bad it could be so we don't care anymore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s not true Philynhad a parade during the Flu which resulted in a lot of deaths.

That wasn’t unique either

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Our store manager announced that they're opening registration for 'essential workers' ( I am one apparently ) in our area, and that we could pre-register on such and such website over our radio-comms.

The first reply, the *first* reply was, "Is the vaccine mandatory?"

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

we're all dead

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

My works vaccine was not mandatory, either. Several people refused to sign up when given the opportunity.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*laughs in "it's not mandatory" at the hospital she works at*
Haha. Hah
ha

:smith:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I would like to talk about how much I love having 20 year old redditor coworkers :suicide:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm so tired of answering 'why are you out of this' questions in this late stage of the pandemic that I've just started saying, "Well, the meat plants are having a hard time staying open with all the workers getting sick and dying."

You know. The thing that's actually happening.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

You know what I just called it:
-Thermometer on my apartment's porch says it's a hair over 20 degrees Fucksickles outside.
-Sky is hazy with freezing fog
-Apartment complex asked us all to lower our thermostats to save power/avoid overloading the grid (already had mine low because I could bundle up, lowered more)
-Freeze-pocalypse is supposed to hit 2 hours after shift starts tonight
-Even if it doesn't it's gonna be around 10 degrees Fucksickles with high wind and therefore wind-chill the rest of the night

I don't care if I live a block down from the warehouse. I'm taking tonight off.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright so the other day I was off and apparently missed all the fun

This is a sprinkler head. Post getting knocked off by a forklift. One of my coworkers went to pick up something and lifted the forks way too high and the "brace" hit the sprinkler and started shooting water straight out. Look at the picture, the fan thing is missing so the water was just pouring straight down.

Oh and the coworker in question isn't certified for a forklift. For whatever reason he decided to try and use the forklift. After hitting it he just stopped completely and left the forklift under the pouring water, the forklift is still currently out of commission.

I have no idea how he didn't get fired or at least suspended, but he has been warned now that simply *touching* the forklift or the powered pallet jack, which he has a history of scratching the poo poo out of the floor with, will get him fired.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
How the gently caress is that not an instant termination? Has he been instructed by a supervisor to use it before or something? That's the only way I could see him not getting burnt on that move.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Meanwhile at the store I just quit at someone got written up for using a powered pallet jack while properly certified. He just didn't have the little sticker on his badge yet.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Skulk Hogan posted:

Meanwhile at the store I just quit at someone got written up for using a powered pallet jack while properly certified. He just didn't have the little sticker on his badge yet.

so they're just trying to go out of business at this point

e: by alienating their workers, I mean.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 15, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So Amazon did get around to cancelling both last night and today's shift because of the Snow-pocalypse that has sent Texas's power grid into rolling blackouts. Got another text a couple hours ago from them:

Amazon: "We're totally tracking the situation, the roads will be fine by night shift."

I can look out of the window from my frosty apartment to see that no one's plowed the snow yet on that road (it could be changed by 6 PM...maybe. Perhaps someone around here has a tractor with a dozer blade that can make a makeshift snow plow? It's loving Texas!) and the state is in a rolling blackout. How the gently caress do you plan to run a warehouse, let alone one so loving automated as ours, when the power can go out at any moment and knock out the non-emergency lights?

Also several Texas cities have issued a "No, don't loving go anywhere in your car." order.

I'm not going in tonight and I fully expect another text from management being allowed to see reason from their bosses at around 4 PM.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 15, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

Perhaps someone around here has a tractor with a dozer blade that can make a makeshift snow plow? It's loving Texas!

You absolutely do not want to do this, it will tear the gently caress out of the road, or it will leave a nice fun layer of ice underneath if it's high enough to not do that. Or maybe both!

Alkydere posted:

Also several Texas cities have issued a "No, don't loving go anywhere in your car." order.

Snow is a hoax to let Bill Gates install 5G towers to control our minds! DON'T LET THEM TAKE YOUR FREEDOM!

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Rainbow Knight posted:

so they're just trying to go out of business at this point

e: by alienating their workers, I mean.

The receiving team went down to 5/7 when two of us walked out, i think they're currently at 2/7. whole team pretty much bailed after i left.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
As a postal worker, I laugh at all of you for staying in because of the weather.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Power went down again 10-15 minutes after my last post, I expect it to last 20-30 minutes at most. Road still not plowed and covered in snow but the occasional idiot or forlorn 18-wheeler hoping for warmth at the FC drives across it. I'm assuming that's just gonna crush the snow into treacherous ice.

I've seen multiple cars try to get out of our snow-filled parking lot which had a good 3-4 inches of snow in it this morning, and require the assistance of 2-3 strapping young lads.

It's nearly 2 PM. This poo poo ain't getting cleaned up. We're not opening tonight, that's obvious to me. But then again I'm not management and haven't had the required lobotomy (and I have the ability to just look out the window and look at our building, they likely don't).

Also I'm wearing 3 layers and bundled under my blanket in Texas. None of our infrastructure is built to handle this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Alkydere posted:

Also I'm wearing 3 layers and bundled under my blanket in Texas.

I mean, I do this during an Australian winter in Brisbane when the night time temps drop down to 8-12c occasionally.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ErKeL posted:

How the gently caress is that not an instant termination? Has he been instructed by a supervisor to use it before or something? That's the only way I could see him not getting burnt on that move.

Honestly? The cynic in me is thinking the fact that this week we all got a day cut (though today is a holiday so we'll get our usual time, BUT NOT A PENNY MORE), and that 4 days this week the closers are gonna be the closer, as in one. They straight up cut the closing labor in half. So if they fired, or at least suspended, him then they would have to have the remaining employees take over his hours, which means working more days and :supaburn:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean, I do this during an Australian winter in Brisbane when the night time temps drop down to 8-12c occasionally.

Its -6 c in texas right now and it sucks hard because we have statewide rolling blackouts because we are a dumb as poo poo state.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Hihohe posted:

Its -6 c in texas right now and it sucks hard because we have statewide rolling blackouts because we are a dumb as poo poo state.

That sucks, but on the bright side, If people are snowed into their homes it's going to be harder for covid to spread.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Lord Bude posted:

That sucks, but on the bright side, If people are snowed into their homes it's going to be harder for covid to spread.

Youd think that but its gonna end in a couple of days and then EVERYONE will be out at the same time open face coughing into eachothers mouths:smith:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

Honestly? The cynic in me is thinking the fact that this week we all got a day cut (though today is a holiday so we'll get our usual time, BUT NOT A PENNY MORE), and that 4 days this week the closers are gonna be the closer, as in one. They straight up cut the closing labor in half. So if they fired, or at least suspended, him then they would have to have the remaining employees take over his hours, which means working more days and :supaburn:

Honestly the whole thing has been the company / companies slowly turning the labor dial from 'medium' to 'low' and seeing how far they can twist it before the invisible hand of the free market slaps them in the back of the head.

Moreso than usual.

We're hiring for every department and position right now, which isn't unusual. Every retail store goes through the ritual purge. What is unusual is how long the positions have stood open. I'm kind of curious if other stores in the area are as strained or if it's largely just a company thing, but if there were a sufficiently large enough shock ( like an outbreak of one of the new strains ), the retail system would have uhhh a pretty bad time.

The supply chains are all jacked the gently caress up, too. Meat processing has been hit or miss. We get in bursts of product, then nothing. Ditto a lot of other product in the store. The resulting fifteen pallet trucks are less than fun to pull.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's too early to say for sure, but I theorize that one of the notable unexpected side effects of the pandemic has been a huge number of people stuck in sub-living-wage careers collectively saying gently caress it, even if I kill myself working I still can't pay bills, I'm not working anymore. I further theorize this will not change if/when the pandemic finally ends.

Meat prices in general seemed to have stabilized after initially shooting up back last April/May, but I've noticed they've been skyrocketing again the past month or two.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally did my taxes, I made over *seven thousand* more dollars last year then the year prior. I did some math at my payscale and divided by the hours I work in a day and I worked an extra 2 and a half months

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Snow can be dealt with if the area is accustomed to it, which Texas/the south is definately NOT.

Ice will just gently caress you up and anyone who doesn't travel due to ice I completely understand. Was supposed to work on Sunday, walked out my door took 3 steps and then slid 6-7 inches. Turned around and called out.

News from that morning - https://6abc.com/traffic/speeding-driver-goes-airborne-vehicle-slides-for-a-block-on-its-roof-police/10338685/

gently caress ice forever

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Just curious. How many people have to 'check in' when they close a department before they leave? I generally don't, because I see it as insulting and also as a creative way to stack more work onto short shifts.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Just curious. How many people have to 'check in' when they close a department before they leave? I generally don't, because I see it as insulting and also as a creative way to stack more work onto short shifts.

I'm "supposed to" check in before I leave, but whether I actually do it depends on which manager is piloting the store and how early I'm ditching.

Produce is the only fresh department that doesn't require a walkthrough, though. Bakery or Deli would be written up if they just flipped the lights off and snuck out

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I do at Amazon but that's because the entire network is a precariously balanced system in need of constant adjustments and doing so makes less headaches for the people trying to do the balancing. Leaving without telling your manager there just increases the number of headaches because your manager is reporting they have more people to do the work then they actually do.

Having someone have to come by and double check you work in a retail store before you can leave at EOS sounds like utter bullshit, especially if it's just used to create more makework, doubly especially if the manager tries to make you do after you've already clocked out.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

even if i checked in with whoever is the manager at the end of the night, they don't have enough time to walk the department anyway.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
When I still did closings regularly in college, they'd try to get everyone to call off every single department before they'd "release"us. All that did was make every department take until exactly closing time to "call off", because they'd absolutely make you go do another department of you finished early, but would also not let you stay one minute past your shift end because they'd be terrified of paying OT.

Also, being all college students, most of the closing shift would just say screw it and leave at their scheduled time anyway.

Nowadays we're supposed to get walked off, because we're a specialty area, but nobody bothers. They're too busy taking care of the shitstorm that is the rest of the store.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Had my evaluation and told I'm slow and I should be better cause of how long I've been there. No idea what they're going on about considering I leave early cause I finish poo poo quick but hey the lowest wage raise I was given has set my cents to 69 and I consider that a win in my book.

Also

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Leal posted:

Had my evaluation and told I'm slow and I should be better cause of how long I've been there. No idea what they're going on about considering I leave early cause I finish poo poo quick but hey the lowest wage raise I was given has set my cents to 69 and I consider that a win in my book.

Also

you have a moral obligation to be slow and do less work than you could after working retail for long enough. change my mind :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Yay snow day!!