Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Lemony posted:

So, I've been considering doing some historical wargaming, but I have issues with most of the common scales. I saw that 2mm is an option for Napoleonic period stuff. From what I saw, the scale appeals to me for both cost and ability to scale armies closer to realistic sizes. If anyone has any experience, I'd be interested in rule set recommendations and good sources for models.

I know a lot of games these days do 6mm/15mm/25mm and the movement, range and scale is based on the base size. 2mm...I know of Blucher. I have not played it but it's praised a lot if you want to play a single player Waterloo or Battle of the Nations. And 2mm I know means you can start doing a 1-1 figure to man ratio, which is very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Lemony posted:

So, I've been considering doing some historical wargaming, but I have issues with most of the common scales. I saw that 2mm is an option for Napoleonic period stuff. From what I saw, the scale appeals to me for both cost and ability to scale armies closer to realistic sizes. If anyone has any experience, I'd be interested in rule set recommendations and good sources for models.

I'd also be interested if 2mm rulesets exist for later periods, mainly WW2 or Cold War. If I'm going to play with my toy tanks as an adult, I'd like to do so in a way that maintains verisimilitude of range/scale, but also allows me to play on a reasonably sized surface and to build up armies and terrain without dropping tons of cash.

Alternately, for Cold War tank style games, could you drop the scale by basing a tiny tank on a larger base and using appropriately scaled terrain?

FYI if you don't already have some people to play with lined up you might find it tough to find any opponents. The most popular rules are for 15mm-28mm, and is probably what 90% of historical gamers play.

Right now 12-15mm is the trending scale. Victrix is putting out a bunch of 12mm WW2 stuff at really great prices (184 models for $30), Warlord Games just announced a bunch of 12.5mm ACW sets that are really affordable (300+ models for $20), and then 3D printing is also really taking off. March to Hell has recently put out sets with files for hundreds of models for WW2 & Ancient Rome, which can be printed anywhere from 6mm to 28mm (assuming you have a resin printer).

Actually, even if you decide to go with really small scales you might consider 3D printing an army anyway. I can 3D print a tank for like 25 cents worth of material at 28mm, so I can only imagine printing stuff at 6mm or less would cost almost nothing.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 15, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
For 2mm napoleonics, have you checked Forward March?

https://forwardmarchstudios.com/

Their pictures are the nicest looking 2mm boards I've seen, and kind of what pushed me towards wanting to make a 2mm board at some point. And with such small size you could get a 3D printer and print/paint both sides.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 15, 2021

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lilljonas posted:

For 2mm napoleonics, have you checked Forward March?

https://forwardmarchstudios.com/

Their pictures are the nicest looking 2mm boards I've seen, and kind of what pushed me towards wanting to make a 2mm board at some point. And with such small size you could get a 3D printer and print/paint both sides.

God bless the 21st century. This is awesome and now I have a new temptation nagging at me. I started in historicals when you'd never see pictures of everything you were ordering, and now you can get .stl files for 2mm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

mllaneza posted:

God bless the 21st century. This is awesome and now I have a new temptation nagging at me. I started in historicals when you'd never see pictures of everything you were ordering, and now you can get .stl files for 2mm.

Yeah the big draw of 2mm napoleonics is having a table that actually look like a napoleonic battlefield. That is pretty much impossible at any larger scale. And you can either go for games where you actually move divisions around, or you can go the other route and have 1:1 mini to man ratios, moving brigades of enormous lines around. Seeing 1:1 scale napoleonics is just amazing when you're used to seeing 24 or 36 man battalions.

E: you can also do towns and villages more properly in 2mm.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 15, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Endman posted:

Horrible proportions and grotesque faces, but what are you gonna do, it’s Warlord. I’m glad some people are excited :shrug:

Oldman BulbyGoggles Mc Saladhelmet on the right there harkens, almost, to the glory days of Warhammer!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
For 3mm Cold War, Odzial Osmy (or something) can't be beat.

FFoT3 can be played at the scale as well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Am I the only one who sees this and kiiinda want to make an entire platoon using only the silly burly screaming face? Putting them next to each other like this multiplies the comedic effect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They can't be unaware of the meme of terribly painted 40k models screaming.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Class Warcraft posted:

FYI if you don't already have some people to play with lined up you might find it tough to find any opponents. The most popular rules are for 15mm-28mm, and is probably what 90% of historical gamers play.

Right now 12-15mm is the trending scale. Victrix is putting out a bunch of 12mm WW2 stuff at really great prices (184 models for $30), Warlord Games just announced a bunch of 12.5mm ACW sets that are really affordable (300+ models for $20), and then 3D printing is also really taking off. March to Hell has recently put out sets with files for hundreds of models for WW2 & Ancient Rome, which can be printed anywhere from 6mm to 28mm (assuming you have a resin printer).

Actually, even if you decide to go with really small scales you might consider 3D printing an army anyway. I can 3D print a tank for like 25 cents worth of material at 28mm, so I can only imagine printing stuff at 6mm or less would cost almost nothing.

Not worried about finding players, I'd have no problem convincing some friends. Lower costs and time sinks are definitely a plus though, since it would allow me to provide multiple army composition options without forcing them to commit without trying first.

The larger scales are cool looking, but the engagement sizes just mess with my brain. I just can't make myself see the block of ten guys fighting four dudes on horses as anything but silly, even when I know they represent 500 guys fighting 200 cavalry. I think I'd even have an easier time with this as an abstraction required for keeping things to reasonable play sizes, but it seems everyone scales all their terrain to the size of the miniatures instead of the theoretical size of the full armies those men represent. To me, this just makes it look like a skirmish game pretending to represent brigade level combat (Though a ruleset representing Napoleonic skirmishing on a 1:1 level and nothing else could be kind of neat.).

I guess a follow-up question would be if anyone has experience basing large numbers of tiny scale models on bases scaled for the larger scale rule sets?

lilljonas posted:

Yeah the big draw of 2mm napoleonics is having a table that actually look like a napoleonic battlefield. That is pretty much impossible at any larger scale. And you can either go for games where you actually move divisions around, or you can go the other route and have 1:1 mini to man ratios, moving brigades of enormous lines around. Seeing 1:1 scale napoleonics is just amazing when you're used to seeing 24 or 36 man battalions.

E: you can also do towns and villages more properly in 2mm.

This is pretty much exactly what I mean. Despite the lack of exact model detail you get from shrinking the scale, the table overview is much more appealing to me for the purpose of gaming.

JcDent posted:

For 3mm Cold War, Odzial Osmy (or something) can't be beat.

FFoT3 can be played at the scale as well.

Lot of cool stuff here, thanks!

Lemony fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 15, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was talking with JcDent about on-board artillery in cold war games a while back, and it was fun to realise that the range of Cold War era artillery guns is still best handled in "meters" at 6mm scale.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lemony posted:

I guess a follow-up question would be if anyone has experience basing large numbers of tiny scale models on bases scaled for the larger scale rule sets?

Blucher is specifically made to represent larger napoleonics battle. If I were to make a 2mm set of armies it'd probably be the ruleset I'd try out first.

https://sammustafa.com/blucher/

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone here tried Victory at Sea, or any other WW2 naval game for that matter

Tias
May 25, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

They can't be unaware of the meme of terribly painted 40k models screaming.

Considering one of the lead designers on Bolt Action was the same guy who designed Warhammer 40.000, I have a hard time imagining he's not facepalming a bit at history repeating itself.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I was talking with JcDent about on-board artillery in cold war games a while back, and it was fun to realise that the range of Cold War era artillery guns is still best handled in "meters" at 6mm scale.

If y'all ever need a Yes-man for versimilitudinous representation of miniatures on the table, I'm the guy who wrote the AK-47 Republic devs to ask how many vehicles/infantry per base would I need for 1:1.

I don't think I'll ever get to play AK-47.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JcDent posted:

If y'all ever need a Yes-man for versimilitudinous representation of miniatures on the table, I'm the guy who wrote the AK-47 Republic devs to ask how many vehicles/infantry per base would I need for 1:1.

I don't think I'll ever get to play AK-47.
Well?

Tias
May 25, 2008

So with my multitudes of army mans coming in and shaping up on the painting table, I might well get to play some Bolt Action in the near future. I can't find an OP write-up in this thread about it, so apart from practicing with my local grogs (which is restricted a lot because of a new infection flare-up here), where can I get some input on understanding the ruleset? The rulebook is, uh, unwieldy, and the erratas are larger than the book now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

So with my multitudes of army mans coming in and shaping up on the painting table, I might well get to play some Bolt Action in the near future. I can't find an OP write-up in this thread about it, so apart from practicing with my local grogs (which is restricted a lot because of a new infection flare-up here), where can I get some input on understanding the ruleset? The rulebook is, uh, unwieldy, and the erratas are larger than the book now.

Someone did a Bolt Action playthrough not too long ago, lemme see if I can find it again

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926795

by Class Warcraft quoted here

On this page

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Those aren't brits, they're much-improved cadian guardsmen.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Anyone here tried Victory at Sea, or any other WW2 naval game for that matter

The problem with Naval Wargaming are the type of grogs that play naval wargames.

I'd recommend Naval Thunder, Command At Sea, and Seekrieg however the latter two (CaS + Seekrieg) require a referee and don't have good resources on how to actually play them. Just sets of rules without play examples or aids.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

The problem with Naval Wargaming are the type of grogs that play naval wargames.

I'd recommend Naval Thunder, Command At Sea, and Seekrieg however the latter two (CaS + Seekrieg) require a referee and don't have good resources on how to actually play them. Just sets of rules without play examples or aids.

I played the Axis and Allies "War at Sea" game once, which in on the absolute other end of grogdom, not trying to be a simulation at all and super light on rules. The disadvantage though of beer-and-pretzel naval games is that they don't really feel like naval warfare, as you have to strip away a lot of the restrictions that makes naval warfare, well, naval warfare. But if you just want to run torpedo boats into cruisers for fun it's an option I guess? The minis were pretty neat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Was it significantly different from the infantry version of the rules?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Martin Goddard posted:

Vehicles yes 1 model = 3 real ones.
Infantry. 3 bases = 3x3=9 model figures = 27 men. Thus 1 model figure = 3 real men

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tias posted:

You a draw a dice from a bag. Is it your color? Then you can activate one of your units. You have one of six orders to give them. If they're not pinned, they'll carry the order out. If they have X pins, you roll 2d6 to get under Unit Leadership-X.

When doing a shooting, your get one dice for every rifle (usually), with more dice for some other weapons. Notably, the MG loader doesn't shoot.

There are a lot of modifiers for shooting, notably, you get -1 for each pin on the firing unit.

If you hit, the enemy unit automatically gets 1 pin. You also you roll to damage for every hit. lovely units (conscripts) get damaged on 3+, veterans on 5+. This value can go A LOT over d6 for tanks and such - that's why you need to shoot at them with AT weapons that slap that value down.

No save rolls - damaged dudes die. It gets a lot more complicated for tanks.

Rolling 6 to hit and then verifying it with a 6 gives you precision shots, which you can allocate to sarges, MGs, and so on. You still need to damage them to take them out.

Officers are important since they provide a morale boost in range (makes those activation checks easier) and provide orders - meaning you can activate the officer + get more of your dice out of the bag to activate units in range.

BA tends towards generic - meaning that a Veteran Infantry in Italy is like Veteran infantry in the US Army, Moist Nugget, Garand, and Kar98k are all rifles, and outside some special rules, Shermans, Cromwells, T-34s and Panzer IVs have roughly the same stats. Of course, you then get army special rules (Germans gets +1 ROF for MGs, American infantry simulates Garand shooting by not getting movement penalties for accuracy, Brits getting to one of five special rules to give special Commonwealth flavor for the army) and sometimes special rules for specific units (like especially tough infantry being Zealots, or some replacement units having Green, which means that they roll to generate their experience level the first time they get shot at).

The army builder is free and online, and has all the loving theaters. Never play against generic lists because they're loving boring, and you'll end up with German Assault Rifle MSU.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the threads opinion on Warlord Games SPQR?

They are re-releasing it just two years after the first edition which from reading some comments on other boards were not well received as being badly written and not play tested.

Warlords is temporarily offering free new rules with every unit box, so they must feel it needed the update pretty badly.

I need some heavy infantry and spearmen for my Oathmark army, and the Gaul will hopefully work as Militia and Human archers. And I would like a small unit skirmish battle for solo play/campaign play SPQR promises it has.

Has anyone has experience in it, and might have some clue on what's being changed for the new edition?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's awful, the combat rules just don't work at all as written and there are a bunch of other problems besides.

Just get the models if you want the models.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's awful, the combat rules just don't work at all as written and there are a bunch of other problems besides.

Just get the models if you want the models.

Is warlord the one who sell figures that come straight from Astrix the Gaul? If I’m going to get some I should add them too- Romans too, though from memory the comics make them look like imperial and not late republic ceaser legions.

If they don’t, I now need to know who does.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Is warlord the one who sell figures that come straight from Astrix the Gaul? If I’m going to get some I should add them too- Romans too, though from memory the comics make them look like imperial and not late republic ceaser legions.

If they don’t, I now need to know who does.

There were actual Asterix minis, from Hobby Products:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Asterix_%28Hobby_Products%29

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok so I got around to test a basing scheme for my winter Americans. Turned out the leaves I was using were tinted by some kind of neon green that doesn't show in their dried state, but starts to leak into the snow effects once added. I had to go back and forth painting them over, adding snow, painting over and adding snow. Good thing I only did a test squad. I might try them again, but varnishing the leaves and then painting them over, before adding the snow.

More pics on the blog:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/winter-armies

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Comstar posted:

What's the threads opinion on Warlord Games SPQR?

They are re-releasing it just two years after the first edition which from reading some comments on other boards were not well received as being badly written and not play tested.

Warlords is temporarily offering free new rules with every unit box, so they must feel it needed the update pretty badly.

I need some heavy infantry and spearmen for my Oathmark army, and the Gaul will hopefully work as Militia and Human archers. And I would like a small unit skirmish battle for solo play/campaign play SPQR promises it has.

Has anyone has experience in it, and might have some clue on what's being changed for the new edition?

From experience: combat is entirely broken. You can board-wipe most things by building beefy heroes and making a murder-blender protected by chaff. The rules are pretty dice bucket-y, and there could be much better guidance on scenario-building. The campaign rules are interesting, but rely on somehow combining a “heroic ancients” game with people willing to do slow-growing historical escalation in 28mm.

I do love my Persian army, but something tells me that if you’re looking at historicals, you’re not hoping for the Avenging Zoroaster and his Elephant Warriors versus A Shitload of Imperial Romans For Some Reason.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I never actually got a game in, but I read the rulebook and wasn't impressed. It read way too much like something GW would have put out back in 2000's. The good news is that there seems to be new historical rulebooks dropping like every month nowadays so you're not hurting for options to use your little mans with.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Really nice work on these. I like the inclusion of pink in the skin to show how cold they are.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
On the complete opposite of lovingly crafting scarves for my models I barely finished a self-imposed project goal of two months for this whole batch. PSC was doing a sale back in December so I grabbed sets for US, German, Soviet and British forces. I also tried a new thing of only using homebrew contrast paints via acrylic inks. I had to cheat with some VMC German Grey for weapons, but other than that it was surprisingly successful. Not bad considering I knocked out >150 infantry and various MG, LMG, mortar and AT supports.

Best of all since it's 20mm it all fits into this carrying case.

I might in the future go back and do some detail work on them but right now I just want to not see any shade of brown or green for a while.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Those look great!

I'm (slowly) working on US and North Korean armies for Korea, and may well steal some of your ideas.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It's finally finished. My 226 model British force at Isandlwana. Took about six months, but it feels good to finish a project.

Now to just finish the board and paint up a couple hundred Zulus...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The type of lad you are:
mad

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Class Warcraft posted:

It's finally finished. My 226 model British force at Isandlwana. Took about six months, but it feels good to finish a project.

Now to just finish the board and paint up a couple hundred Zulus...

To keep the numbers roughly in scale, you need 2500 Zulus.
Maybe 2000 if you take out the Zulu forces there but didn't get chance to fight.

On the other hand, you have 2.5 rorke drifts.....

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Those Brits look great!

And thanks for the kind replies on the Americans. I got around to base the rest of the basic platoon. Too bad my lighting acted up at bit, so the photos were a bit worse than normal.

The whole platoon signing up.

Senior Leaders

Junior Leaders

The platoon has one bazooka team, but I'm painting up two as I think they'll be great on the table. The second one is not based yet.

I greenstuffed on some helmet covers on roughly one section. That'll help telling them apart if two squads gets bunched up.

BAR gunners, two of them from Empress, one plastic Perry.

Grenadiers. One for each squad. Two of them from Empress, one plastic Perry.

Now I need to base a mortar, a 57mm AT gun, engineers and some other infantry support. And after that, it's time for support options on wheels or tracks. More pics on the blog:
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/winter-armies/february-28th-2021

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 28, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trying my hand at minis painting with FoW Soviets, comments/suggestions welcome. Washes didn't seem to photograph well for some reason. The three bases are different color schemes I experimented with (one per sprue). I'd love to get feedback on which color scheme you guys think works best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

I'd love to get feedback on which color scheme you guys think works best
I like the middle one.

It's been cool and depressing seeing everyone getting big projects done as we await the plague to ravage our failed states. A new one for me was to try and come up with a desktop game solution as I don't have a full game table at home and christ knows when my LGS will open up again. My aim was fast play, fit the space, and only use existing models I had. I decided on Rebels & Patriots and would use my mass battle 6mm bases as units. To maximize space efficiency I just made some unit cards that were heavily "inspired" by Blucher's system

It works pretty well. I just cm instead of inches for all measurements and some common sense regarding LOS and cover changes. Here's a full 24 point company that's only got about an 11x6" footprint.

Although this does remind me I need to get some tiny flags made for them...