Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

"unionist", a term that definitely doesn't mean something else already in UK politics and is free to use to mean "people involved in a trade union"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

is keith still palling around with him or did they stop that after he failed to recognise and challenge the great replacement theory

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I believe that my wife and/or I, as carers to my son, are eligible to be in group 6 for vaccinations (which is soon). Is anyone aware if both of us can be registered as carers (we share it equally) or if we have to nominate one of us? I have asked my GP but I don't altogether trust them. Ta.

Also, this is absolutely adorable

https://twitter.com/Alex_Verbeek/status/1361099449431445504?s=1002

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 15, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

"unionist", a term that definitely doesn't mean something else already in UK politics and is free to use to mean "people involved in a trade union"
Hard left unionists wear flat caps on bowler hats on flat caps.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

XMNN posted:

is keith still palling around with him or did they stop that after he failed to recognise and challenge the great replacement theory

Didn't LBC invite the fascist to call in?

I think he's still doing it as well lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Please stop using his real name of Keith and call him smithers

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

peanut- posted:

I have a small utility company that do not provide service to my home sending me bills at the moment. They have no phone number and literally the only way to contact them is do an in-app chat with an AI chat bot and follow the conversation round in circles until the bot gives up and refers you to an agent. The agent will then contact you, again only via text chat, at some point within the following 3 days.

Meanwhile I have £150 of outstanding bills to this company that they're sending me threatening letters about.

How that poo poo can be legal is beyond me, and I'm in the probably small percentage of the population able to navigate this stuff well enough to contact them.
what I tend to do in these kinds of circumstances is just write them a loving letter or something, to their registered office if need be. If it comes down to it, the courts won't care you didn't use their deliberately-labyrinthine customer service procedures, and they know it

I had a debt collection firm hassling me about some bogus poo poo a while back who did a very weird robocalling you to ask you to call them to arrange a callback thing (with massive queues, frequent disconnections & other barriers). I just started e-mailing some random address I found online, then every time got a snotty letter in the post saying to please stop e-mailing them, to which I replied by e-mail basically saying "lol make me"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Why even bother? If some company that you have no contract with emails or sends you a letter, that's spam and it goes in the bin. If they try to take you to court that's spam and it goes in the bin.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Starmer will try and develop a standout policy and it will be something so desperately transparent and pathetic that it won't even be acknowledged, like some kind of minor change to business rates.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Free means tested deducted from universal credit 512kbps broadband provided by public private partnerships.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why even bother? If some company that you have no contract with emails or sends you a letter, that's spam and it goes in the bin. If they try to take you to court that's spam and it goes in the bin.
Bailiffs? In the bin. Subpoena? Bin. Warrant? Bin. Police? Bin.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Dodds speech about their economic plans at best amounted to 'we'll improve value for money in state spending' so yeah there's no originality coming from within the cabinet and lol if they end up crawling back towards some part of Corbyns platform which they firmly denied last year.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The "pragmatic economic competency with less austerity" ground that the Labour right want to make their own is completely hosed in an environment when the Tories are spending all of the pounds. There is just nothing for them to say.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Free means tested deducted from universal credit 512kbps broadband provided by public private partnerships.

With a union jack on the router :britain:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sebzilla posted:

With a union jack on the router :britain:

And then the router flag is just shoved in some dark cupboard? Configure it to have every image request return the flag imo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're going to come up with some BNP 'free union jacks for homeless veterans' poo poo aren't they

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

They might be dropping packets, but our Bits and Bytes are now BRITISH Bits and Bytes and they're much happier for it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Bailiffs? In the bin. Subpoena? Bin. Warrant? Bin. Police? Bin.

This but unironically.

So far in life I have a 100% success rate of just binning begging letters, including spurious bills, legitimate fines, old landlords saying I owe them rent, whatever. Come have a go lads, they call me the Binman

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
free broadband but the only page you can access is a video feed of a flag waving next to statues of dead racists while a calm voice talks about the great history of the glorious british empire

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

While I'm sure the developers (and Google especially) had some very high-level and fancy ideas behind Pokemon Go, in general I believe gamification has basically failed as any kind of mass social influence theory. There is a limit to what you can goad people into doing with fictional doo-dads as bait.

Thematically related, there is scientific paper out there, with numbers and everything, which estimates the number of lives saved by the NHS app as ~20,000.

If so, despite the low take-up and all the problems; I guess a COVID epidemic is what the military call a _target rich environment_. Anything that helps, helps, even if it is only 10% of infected people sel-isolating a few days earlier than they otherwise would have.

Imagine what could have been done at even the minimal competence level some Tory ministers occasionally reach...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

namesake posted:

Dodds speech about their economic plans at best amounted to 'we'll improve value for money in state spending' so yeah there's no originality coming from within the cabinet and lol if they end up crawling back towards some part of Corbyns platform which they firmly denied last year.

Yeah, whatever they suggest will be caveated and focus-grouped into incoherence. The Left will roundly mock it, the Centre will be unimpressed, Labour'll shrink another couple of points in the polls and the lesson the leadership will take from that will be: "We were far too radical! We'd better tone it down if we want to win back the trust of the electorate!"

I'm betting skills wallets, but for furloughed people who can prove they've done at least 16hrs a week of voluntary work during the pandemic or some poo poo like that.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, whatever they suggest will be caveated and focus-grouped into incoherence. The Left will roundly mock it, the Centre will be unimpressed, Labour'll shrink another couple of points in the polls and the lesson the leadership will take from that will be: "We were far too radical! We'd better tone it down if we want to win back the trust of the electorate!"

I'm betting skills wallets, but for furloughed people who can prove they've done at least 16hrs a week of voluntary work during the pandemic or some poo poo like that.

I genuinely can’t remember whether “skills wallets” was a real policy or something from the thick of it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I genuinely can’t remember whether “skills wallets” was a real policy or something from the thick of it.

It was one of Squirrel Basher's policies IIRC

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

This but unironically.

So far in life I have a 100% success rate of just binning begging letters, including spurious bills, legitimate fines, old landlords saying I owe them rent, whatever. Come have a go lads, they call me the Binman
My mate's son did this, then recently got declined credit on the basis of an unpaid CCJ, my mate dragged him onto Zoom as there's 2 law-people in our RP group, & the sum of our collective wisdom was basically that neither of us could remember how to go about applying to have judgments in default set aside except insofar as it's a massive pain in the arse so he'd probably be better off just paying it

A lot of the time companies will just write it off if they're getting binned since it's often cheaper than pursuing it, but this isn't always the case so apply with caution

Guavanaut posted:

Police? Bin.
Definitely this though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

This but unironically.

you're irish though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

saw a tweet yesterday that was to the effect of "these people are still delusional enough to thing the country wants blairism and we should just sit out and let them lose badly to get it over with"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jose posted:

you're irish though

Oh yeah I'm not offering legal advice, just bragging about how hard I am

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

They might be dropping packets, but our Bits and Bytes are now BRITISH Bits and Bytes and they're much happier for it.
The bits are at it again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Failed Imagineer posted:

God luck applying for a mortgage or renting a house with ccjs on your name. It's a lot of effort to get them removed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

God luck applying for a mortgage or renting a house with ccjs on your name. It's a lot of effort to get them removed.

I already have a mortgage

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

saw a tweet yesterday that was to the effect of "these people are still delusional enough to thing the country wants blairism and we should just sit out and let them lose badly to get it over with"

Yeah I'm now beginning to enjoy watching the failure, but I think the issue is that the left has no good candidate in waiting to take over.
The lab right are gonna be scraping the bottom of the barrel left with worse candidates than kieth and were left with worse candidates than RLB.

Also we lost twice in a row so Keith gets another go after losing in 2024

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jose posted:

Corbyn poisoned the brand tho

(posting this from the year 2029)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Get Big John McDonnell in as leader to threaten to unleash 50 large adult shinners on the kneecaps of any journalist who tries a repeat of the 2019 smears, if only so that Boris Johnson has to stand up in Parliament and say actually um uh we think it's very unparliamentary behaviour to threaten to break a journalist's legs and then the last shred of irony in the country packs up and gets Belgian citizenship.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

McDonnell brings maos book into parliament then pledges the party to a balanced budget

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BitesizedDapperGrosbeak-mobile.mp4

Working on Mondays is hard.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Police? Bin.

Borrovan posted:

Definitely this though.

On the off chance that the letter turns out to be "we think you might be a suspect for a crime, please get in touch and arrange a time to be interviewed", this is an excellent way to get yourself arrested, probably in front of everyone and at the most inconvenient time possible, when you don't need to be.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yes I'm still bitter about McDonnell.

I remember the brief period where labour was looking for leftist economists to write a transformational economic platform, which they did and labour discarded cause they weren't serious about anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Corbyn poisoned the brand tho

(posting this from the year 2029)

the fun thing is starmer is loving it so badly that even the pundits are now calling it out. of course that'll be memoryholed after he loses if he's even given that chance

the pro move by boris is to delay the local elections due to covid so labour get annihilated in them to get rid of starmer for some other labour right shitter closer to a general election

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's not where beans go at all.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If you don't put a flap in your door you don't even have to bin any letters and can't be arrested or fined for anything ever. It's never failed me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

And then the router flag is just shoved in some dark cupboard? Configure it to have every image request return the flag imo.

I've quickly mocked this up and I think you'll all agree it's a big improvement in terms of patriotism.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 15, 2021