Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Business Gorillas posted:

So im flipping some of my stuff and debating getting into khardaron overlords for Soviet Space Dwarfs. Anyone got a good place to start?

(I'll also be selling a fully painted beastclaw army so slide into the dms if youre interested)

If you want to work towards a tournament list, the Goonhammer article gives you a pretty good idea of what to shoot for: a Dirigible Suit warlord, your two obligatory support heroes (with an Endless Spell for the Aether-Khemist Spell in a Bottle you should always take, and Warp-Lightning Vortex can't really be beat here), an Ironclad, and then the rest can be to preference but a full block of Thunderers to fill your flying clown car is probably the way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hero #2 for Cursed City - Qulathis the Exile.

I can’t quite 100% tell but it looks like the antlers are part of her armor? If so I guess Kurnothi can also just be regular rear end wood elves.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Vampiretide has their Kerillian.

Going by this it might be a headband or something.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Anno posted:

Hero #2 for Cursed City - Qulathis the Exile.

I can’t quite 100% tell but it looks like the antlers are part of her armor? If so I guess Kurnothi can also just be regular rear end wood elves.

drat, all the miniatures they've shown for Cursed City are awesome. My wallet is going to hurt with this and the new Lumineths.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I appreciate that GW isn't modeling the strings on bows anymore. Plastic can't really be thin enough to look 'real' while retaining integrity.

That being said, I wonder how crazy it would be to add something like fishing line...

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I'm thinking this rumor engine from a couple of days ago could be a Cursed City thing

If it is, there's good odds that the big guy we've only seen the back of could be an ogre. They're in the city at least.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Outside of the lumineth sentinels and some characters, did they model strings all that much?

I know older crossbow kits (IE: empire and darkshard) tend to have them but I'm trying to think of a bow unit that did.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Outside of the lumineth sentinels and some characters, did they model strings all that much?

I know older crossbow kits (IE: empire and darkshard) tend to have them but I'm trying to think of a bow unit that did.

Do string instruments count? :haw:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Floppychop posted:

I appreciate that GW isn't modeling the strings on bows anymore. Plastic can't really be thin enough to look 'real' while retaining integrity.

That being said, I wonder how crazy it would be to add something like fishing line...

This dude uses painted thread and actually drills the bows so that it's not far off from an actual stringed bow lol. Looks pretty good.

https://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.com/2014/12/modeling-tutorial-bow-strings.html

I think fishing line would be more "realistic" at that scale but it would also probably just be invisible except for when it catches the light.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It's the kind of thing my brain has never had an issue making up. I I think the elf's bow should be more bent for how far her arrow is drawn, though.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Winklebottom posted:

I'm thinking this rumor engine from a couple of days ago could be a Cursed City thing

If it is, there's good odds that the big guy we've only seen the back of could be an ogre. They're in the city at least.

Is that an aleguzzler head?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Is that an aleguzzler head?

Too small for a gargant (I think :v:). Seems more like an ogre to me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This dude uses painted thread and actually drills the bows so that it's not far off from an actual stringed bow lol. Looks pretty good.

https://robhawkinshobby.blogspot.com/2014/12/modeling-tutorial-bow-strings.html

I think fishing line would be more "realistic" at that scale but it would also probably just be invisible except for when it catches the light.

There's colored monofilament or stuff like fireline that's opaque.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
That looks super cool, but I'd be afraid to have to also drill into hands and stuff if you have a model pulling the string back - especially if they're only holding it with a couple fingers or something

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Just put together Morgwaeth’s Blade-coven and goddamn, these ladies are spindly. Snapped a spear haft and a sword, first time that’s happened to me. Props to anyone who put together a whole DoK army.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pretty sure my first AoS army is gonna be either Orks or Ogors. They both play pretty similar in that they want to quickly get in the opponents face for krumpin time, but what are the big differences between the two?

:orks101:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 12, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new war scrolls for Slaanesh and Daughters are out in NZ

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/searchResults?N=737771287+3206404541

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pretty sure my first AoS army is gonna be either Orks or Ogors. They both play pretty similar in that they want to quickly get in the opponents face for krumpin time, but what are the big differences between the two?

:orks101:

I would say Orruks are probably the more direct / less complex of the two (and also currently the more competitive army), and then your other big consideration is how elite you want your army to be.

Orruks have three factions: Savage Orruks (basically a horde army), Ironjawz (fairly elite, smaller, harder hitting units), and Big Waaagh (in theory a combination of the two but mostly gets run almost entirely as Ironjawz because the faction traits are very good for them).

Don't have enough experience with Ogors to give a strong answer but my impression is that they are an even more elite army, with the Beastclaw lists running probably the smallest number of units of any army other than Sons of Behemat. Currently I'd say the tier list for both armies in terms of competitive play would be:

Big Waaagh
Ironjawz
Mawtribes (mostly Bloodgullet)
Beastclaw
Savage Orruks

But they are both pretty much armies that are all hammer, no anvil, yeah.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

It seems like Sigvald's buns of steel don't need armor.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Of course Sigvald is wearing assless chaps

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Vampiretide has their Kerillian.

Going by this it might be a headband or something.

The mask has to go over the nose!

Every model for Cursed City makes me more excited for that game; I didn't think it was possible.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Cross posting this goblin

Skails posted:

Finished up this goblin smashing a skeleton this weekend.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

New orc and a Ossiarch silhouette

Skails posted:

Cross posting this goblin

that's so loving good

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m 99% sure I’m going to be really into that Ossiarch warband just on that silhouette.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Underworlds minis are so drat good but I wish anyone near me actually played it. Unfortunately everyone says the rules suck and that playing at a competitive level means collecting spending a shitload of money on cards from basically every warband that has ever been released, which leads me to wonder who they are making all of this for if it's that unpopular.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Underworlds minis are so drat good but I wish anyone near me actually played it. Unfortunately everyone says the rules suck and that playing at a competitive level means collecting spending a shitload of money on cards from basically every warband that has ever been released, which leads me to wonder who they are making all of this for if it's that unpopular.

Huh, most people I've talked to says the rules are quite good? Supposed to be fast-paced and fairly easy to get into. Given the level of releases it has received since it launched, I'm thinking it must be selling quite well.

Haven't had a chance to play it myself yet, though. Just painting a lot of warbands until the world opens up again :v:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

What? Even in my third world country, we used to have 20+ people in tournaments for the glass shards. And I used to see tournaments with 100+ players in UK.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I've heard mostly good things. I enjoyed playing it, what really drove me away was simply the difficulty of building a deck every time I want to play a new warband.

XYZ cards being staples in every deck regardless of your band means you're constantly shuffling cards around. Just let me but multiples, drat it.

Anecdotally, it seems to primarily appeal to people who want a tactical game that can be set up and played in under an hour, don't have to deal with measuring tapes and terrain and all that "clunky" time consuming stuff.

It definitely feels like Wargaming Lite even by skirmish game standards, but it was still tactical enough to be engaging.

I just got tired of the tedium of building decks because I change warbands all the time, and facing the same opponent who is my polar opposite in that he just picks a band and sticks with it for months at a time and I get bored of that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Weird, there are literally no events for it here and the few people I've talked to about it said they didn't like it because it felt more like a board game than anything related to AoS.

Most of the complaining was about how much of a pain in the rear end deckbuilding is though, yeah.

Wish I lived somewhere where I could try it out for myself eventually, the small warbands are perfect for me because I paint slow and tend to lose interest by the time I've done like 10 mostly interchangeable versions of the same battleline model, and the sculpts have infinitely more character.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Weird, there are literally no events for it here and the few people I've talked to about it said they didn't like it because it felt more like a board game than anything related to AoS.

Most of the complaining was about how much of a pain in the rear end deckbuilding is though, yeah.

Wish I lived somewhere where I could try it out for myself eventually, the small warbands are perfect for me because I paint slow and tend to lose interest by the time I've done like 10 mostly interchangeable versions of the same battleline model, and the sculpts have infinitely more character.

Just buy and paint the minis. They're amazing and not that expensive considering they're unique sculpts.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

For Underworlds, our play group basically set a rule that all decks have to be made out of the cards that came with the particular band. That keeps it from getting too expensive or competitive to play. Underworlds is a really good filler game. It's quick to setup and play, and works OK with 2, 3, or 4 players. In the pre-Covid times, if we had a day of Warhammer, it would probably be one full size Sigmar or 40k game in the middle of the day, with some Underworld games before or after.

I think Underworld is better than Warcry, and both are better than Kill Team. I like Warcry a lot, too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

Just buy and paint the minis. They're amazing and not that expensive considering they're unique sculpts.

Oh yeah I definitely plan on it, would just be cool to play with them too. I guess I could just use them in my army too, but since they decided for some reason to make them actual (universally terrible with like...one exception?) units in AoS too, that might be confusing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I primarily liked that my coworker and I could literally get a game in during our hour lunch break at the office. The short time requirement is the biggest asset I think.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Do any of these games have a campaign mode that has some Necromunda-like progression with your warband?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I own a bunch of underworlds poo poo and play it regularly with a friend from work who is in my covid bubble just by virtue of us working together. Saying that underworlds is like a board game isn't wrong but its a drat good board game that goes fast and has a lot of interesting tactical depth. We're just starting to build real decks and I'm already starting feel it scratching the same competitive itch that I had with MtG.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Sab669 posted:

I just got tired of the tedium of building decks because I change warbands all the time, and facing the same opponent who is my polar opposite in that he just picks a band and sticks with it for months at a time and I get bored of that.

This is what turned me off too sadly. I love the warbands and the game though.

Chainclaw posted:

For Underworlds, our play group basically set a rule that all decks have to be made out of the cards that came with the particular band. That keeps it from getting too expensive or competitive to play.

This is a great solution tbh, especially if you're not looking to be competitive. Would be sweet to run local tournaments with this rule.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Oh yeah I definitely plan on it, would just be cool to play with them too. I guess I could just use them in my army too, but since they decided for some reason to make them actual (universally terrible with like...one exception?) units in AoS too, that might be confusing.

I just use them in place of what they obviously are.

Like in Zarbag's warband the fanatic as an actual fanatic, goblins with bows are shootas, etc...

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Another Cursed City villain, Torgillius the Chamberlain

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 18, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

Another Cursed City villain, Torgillius the Chamberlain

That reminds me so much of DOTA 2's Necrophos and I absolutely love it;

What exactly is this? I haven't paid attention to this series of articles much other than glimpsing other cool minis. But this is the first one I really want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Sab669 posted:

What exactly is this? I haven't paid attention to this series of articles much other than glimpsing other cool minis. But this is the first one I really want.

It's a board game, Warhammer Quest: Cursed City. That's pretty much all we know right now.

They made a few others in this vein (Silver Tower, Shadows over Hammerhal and Blackstone Fortress) and I believe they're fairly well-liked but I haven't tried them myself. Usually got some great models though.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 18, 2021