Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, but I hold that to be "In the tradition of indiana jones" tbh, so that doesnt bother me.

Indy manages to save his father, Lara doesn't. In fact she actively contributes to his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alhazred posted:

Indy manages to save his father, Lara doesn't. In fact she actively contributes to his death.

Oh, I thought you meant "the baddies wouldnt have found the tomb without her going", which is pretty true, but is also true of... Most? All? indiana jones films.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SiKboy posted:

Oh, I thought you meant "the baddies wouldnt have found the tomb without her going", which is pretty true, but is also true of... Most? All? indiana jones films.

Meh, Indiana Jones may not stop the main bad guy plot (though I think there's an argument he managed that in Temple of Doom) but he is pretty good at keeping them from running over innocent people in the process. If he hadn't been involved in Raiders, I suspect Marion would have died in her bar even if the Nazis still got melted, and as mentioned his father would have been SOL if he hadn't come. Even if "victory" was inevitable, he still managed to do some good that wouldn't have otherwise happened. And at least in Raiders the Ark gets moved someplace where it won't get messed with again rather than sitting somewhere in Nazi storage where who knows what idiots might repeat history (hell, the Bible mentions it killing a guy who accidentally touches it, Indy was probably lucky he didn't stumble at the wrong time and left it in its crate mostly). Really, the thing belongs in a warehouse ;).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Funny you mention that - I was pretty recently telling someone that Indy's insistence that "it belongs in a museum" is actually a really bad idea for a God-box that melts people's faces off. You want a bunch of children running around that? You want a bunch of minimum wage museum staff shipping it around? Sitting in a crate in a top secret warehouse really is the best place for it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Man the woman being the nag in the relationship seems to be a loving staple in so many shows. The dude is all about fun and motorcycles and being awesome, until the woman he loves says No More, and he has to either sneak around (and she finds out and there's a fight and they make up after he half admits he was wrong to lie to her) or ignore her until something blows up, and then we start plot one over the next time.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You know what I loving hate? What I call "Scooby-Doo Movies". The whole device or trope or whatever in ANY movie, especially horror, where the trailer and/or film desperately wants you to believe something supernatural is going on, but it turns out in the end to just be something mundane -- a guy in a costume, someone with mental illness, an adult dwarf woman who just happens to look and act like a creepy little devil kid, etc. I hate it I hate it I hate it. gently caress every writer and every director who ever thought they were clever for making a movie like this.

I especially hate this device in the horror sub-genre I call "devil poo poo", ala movies that want you to think they're like 'The Exorcist'. So many of these movies set it up like there's some kind of possession, demon, haunting, or something, and it just turns out to be something "human beings are dogshit" or "psychological illness".

I know human beings are dogshit. I know psychological illness is real life. I don't watch movies to be reminded of how much real people and real life sucks!

Sorry, I just watched a movie like this even though I called that it was a Scooby-Doo movie from the trailer and it's pissed me off that I wasted the last 90 minutes of my life. It was The Wolf of Snow Hollow if you want to know.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Imagined posted:

Sorry, I just watched a movie like this even though I called that it was a Scooby-Doo movie from the trailer and it's pissed me off that I wasted the last 90 minutes of my life. It was The Wolf of Snow Hollow if you want to know.

The wolf was pretending to be a ghost wolf the whole time?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's what I thought Babysitters Wanted was going to be like.

But UHHHH nope!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

The wolf was pretending to be a ghost wolf the whole time?

nah it turns out that little shepherd boy was a liar

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It irrationally bothers me when a title is an overly on-the-nose double entendre. I don't mean stuff like Shaun of the Dead or The IT Crowd where it's a pun or a word replacement. I mean the kind of title where it definitely seems like the writer came up with the title first, thought it was amazing because it has two meanings, then wrote an entire movie/show around it.

"Guys, it's a movie called 'Race', and it's about race, but it's also about A RACE."

"I have this idea about someone with a trans parent, and it's called - check this out - Transparent! Get it?"

I'm also reminded of a short-lived detective show a while back about a blind guy who solves crimes called, you guessed it, Blind Justice. There's also the movie Poetic Justice, about a poet... named Justice. This always feels extremely hacky to me unless it's done really well.

sticklefifer has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Feb 15, 2021

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tunicate posted:

nah it turns out that little shepherd boy was a liar

Couple more times and I'm gonna stop believing that little bastard.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beachcomber posted:

Couple more times and I'm gonna stop believing that little bastard.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ken McElroy

Wikipedia posted:

In all, he was indicted 21 times but escaped conviction each time, except for the last.[2][3] In 1981, McElroy was convicted of shooting and seriously injuring the town's 70-year-old grocer, Ernest "Bo" Bowenkamp.[1] McElroy successfully appealed the conviction and was released on bond, after which he engaged in an ongoing harassment campaign against Bowenkamp and others who were sympathetic to Bowenkamp, including the town's Church of Christ minister. He appeared in a local bar, the D&G Tavern, armed with an M1 Garand rifle and bayonet, and later threatened to kill Bowenkamp.[1][3] The next day, McElroy was shot to death in broad daylight as he sat with his wife Trena in his pickup truck on Skidmore's main street.[2] He was struck by bullets from at least two different firearms, in front of a crowd of people estimated as between 30 and 46.[1] To date, no one has been charged in connection with McElroy's death.[1]

No one saw a thing.

Edit:

quote:

Over the course of his life, McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, statutory rape, arson, animal cruelty, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary.[2]

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

You know what I loving hate? What I call "Scooby-Doo Movies". The whole device or trope or whatever in ANY movie, especially horror, where the trailer and/or film desperately wants you to believe something supernatural is going on, but it turns out in the end to just be something mundane -- a guy in a costume, someone with mental illness, an adult dwarf woman who just happens to look and act like a creepy little devil kid, etc. I hate it I hate it I hate it. gently caress every writer and every director who ever thought they were clever for making a movie like this.

I especially hate this device in the horror sub-genre I call "devil poo poo", ala movies that want you to think they're like 'The Exorcist'. So many of these movies set it up like there's some kind of possession, demon, haunting, or something, and it just turns out to be something "human beings are dogshit" or "psychological illness".

I know human beings are dogshit. I know psychological illness is real life. I don't watch movies to be reminded of how much real people and real life sucks!

If you get any entertainment out of getting angry at lovely movies, I highly recommend you watch The Boy, and Brahms: The Boy II if you haven't already.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

It irrationally bothers me when a title is an overly on-the-nose double entendre. I don't mean stuff like Shaun of the Dead or The IT Crowd where it's a pun or a word replacement. I mean the kind of title where it definitely seems like the writer came up with the title first, thought it was amazing because it has two meanings, then wrote an entire movie/show around it.

"Guys, it's a movie called 'Race', and it's about race, but it's also about A RACE."

"I have this idea about someone with a trans parent, and it's called - check this out - Transparent! Get it?"

I'm also reminded of a short-lived detective show a while back about a blind guy who solves crimes called, you guessed it, Blind Justice. There's also the movie Poetic Justice, about a poet... named Justice. This always feels extremely hacky to me unless it's done really well.

https://twitter.com/MisterABK/status/1352569387321057280

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sticklefifer posted:

Funny you mention that - I was pretty recently telling someone that Indy's insistence that "it belongs in a museum" is actually a really bad idea for a God-box that melts people's faces off. You want a bunch of children running around that? You want a bunch of minimum wage museum staff shipping it around? Sitting in a crate in a top secret warehouse really is the best place for it.

Jackie Chan Adventures comes to mind where 'It belongs in a museum!' was basically Jackie's catchphrase, but at some point he actually says 'This is too dangerous to be in a museum' and breaks the magical macguffin of the week.

Imagined posted:

The funny thing is that the Scooby-Doo movies usually do the opposite, with the crew encountering the genuine supernatural thinking it's going to be an elaborate hoax, though it never quite was the same after the initial fakeout with Zombie Island. The Loch Ness Monster one had them encounter multiple fake Nessies until at the end there's evidence of a real one that briefly appears as the van is driving away. And then there's at least one where the genuine supernatural creatures are benevolent, and the hoaxers are actually dangerous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sticklefifer posted:

One that really made me groan was Devs. I like the weird sort of dreamy bizarre feeling the show has (and I enjoy Garland's other work, too), but that wordplay was painful.

Devs = DEVS = DEUS, because they're playing God, you see.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

sticklefifer posted:

"Maybe we should take 'Judge' out of the title and go with my original title: 'Mr. Reinhold's Courtroom'."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Imagined posted:

You know what I hate? When people put the title of the movie in spoiler tags and the spoiler itself outside of the tags. Who's supposed to mouse over that? People who don't care about potentially anything ever made being spoiled? People who have seen literally every film ever made? People willing to gamble that the name in tags is something they've never heard of and don't care about?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Baron von Eevl posted:

You know what I hate? When people put the title of the movie in spoiler tags and the spoiler itself outside of the tags. Who's supposed to mouse over that? People who don't care about potentially anything ever made being spoiled? People who have seen literally every film ever made? People willing to gamble that the name in tags is something they've never heard of and don't care about?

I'm using the Awful app with spoilers not hidden so I give no fucks. But yeah it's silly.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Even if they had done it the other way around just mentioning the title of the movie would be a spoiler in the context of that post, lol. hosed either way, I guess.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kind of like any discussion of An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge will spoil everything about it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Who's supposed to mouse over that? People who don't care about potentially anything ever made being spoiled? People who have seen literally every film ever made? People willing to gamble that the name in tags is something they've never heard of and don't care about?

Yes. Exactly.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The funny thing is that the Scooby-Doo movies usually do the opposite, with the crew encountering the genuine supernatural thinking it's going to be an elaborate hoax, though it never quite was the same after the initial fakeout with Zombie Island. The Loch Ness Monster one had them encounter multiple fake Nessies until at the end there's evidence of a real one that briefly appears as the van is driving away. And then there's at least one where the genuine supernatural creatures are benevolent, and the hoaxers are actually dangerous.

I'm not sure if it fits the actual definition of "irony" but ironically I don't like this about the actual Scooby-Doo movies, because what I did love about the message of the TV show was that it was never supernatural. It was always made-up horse poo poo with a mundane explanation, and that's a good message... for kids!

But grown ups should loving already know there's no such thing as the boogeyman, and so it's fun when movies pretend otherwise.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Feb 15, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Taeke posted:

Even if they had done it the other way around just mentioning the title of the movie would be a spoiler in the context of that post, lol. hosed either way, I guess.

They could have said something like
Spoilers for whatever movie:
I loving hated that they did this stupid thing that I predicted from watching the trailer. It was dumb and i hated it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Imagined posted:

You know what I loving hate? What I call "Scooby-Doo Movies".

I think it can be done well, but generally I agree with you. My favorite horror movies are ones that run with the premise all the way to the end, regardless of how ridiculous it is, whether it's just some demon or a shark with a candy cane unicorn horn. It always feels like a letdown when they pull the rug out from under the premise and do the "it was all in his mind" thing. I don't mind some "psychological horror" movies, like 1408 does the concept well, but I think it only works because the thing making him go crazy, the evil hotel room, is treated as being real. It wouldn't have worked nearly as well if they revealed at the end that samuel l jackson spiked his drink with some hallucinogens.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Baron von Eevl posted:

They could have said something like
Spoilers for whatever movie:
I loving hated that they did this stupid thing that I predicted from watching the trailer. It was dumb and i hated it.

They'd need to spoiler the entire post pretty much though;

"I hate when movies have a twist that its not a real monster, but a guy in a mask because blah blah blah making the general point up here about a thing I dont like so we can discuss it on this here discussion forum.

Spoilers for "There's definitely a real monster in the woods eating folk and such" (2014): Is there any possible doubt what this spoiler could be about at all? Also there isnt a real monster, it was the brother the whole time.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think it can be done well, but generally I agree with you. My favorite horror movies are ones that run with the premise all the way to the end, regardless of how ridiculous it is, whether it's just some demon or a shark with a candy cane unicorn horn. It always feels like a letdown when they pull the rug out from under the premise and do the "it was all in his mind" thing. I don't mind some "psychological horror" movies, like 1408 does the concept well, but I think it only works because the thing making him go crazy, the evil hotel room, is treated as being real. It wouldn't have worked nearly as well if they revealed at the end that samuel l jackson spiked his drink with some hallucinogens.

Right? The Shining but it turns out there's absolutely nothing spooky about the hotel, it was 100% Jack Torrance's alcoholism and Danny's overactive imagination.

Also, the way I reckoned the spoiler was that anyone who also hates this trope would want that movie spoiled for them, while for anyone who doesn't mind it I didn't really give away anything critical to enjoying the movie.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Feb 15, 2021

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

There was a buddy-cop movie that came out last year called “Coffee and Kareem” where, I guess, the one cops last name is Coffee. I’ve never seen it and never will, but there is no way that the title didn’t come before everything else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Imagined posted:

Right? The Shining but it turns out there's absolutely nothing spooky about the hotel, it was 100% Jack Torrance's alcoholism and Danny's overactive imagination.

Also, the way I reckoned the spoiler was that anyone who also hates this trope would want that movie spoiled for them, while for anyone who doesn't mind it I didn't really give away anything critical to enjoying the movie.

The Shining movie does leave it ambiguous iirc while the book is more explicit that something is inhabiting the Overlook.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

You know this movie is about something that actually happened, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Imagined posted:

That's a bit of a strange take I think. For one thing it implies that all of those things are mutually exclusive and can't work congruently. What do you base that on?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Shining movie does leave it ambiguous iirc while the book is more explicit that something is inhabiting the Overlook.

Beaten but I agree with this take, especially as it relates the film. The closing shot alone of Jack in the front of the group picture is practically daring the audience have open interpretation. There's also the matter of how Jack got out of the locked pantry. Also, Dick Hallorann specifically tells Danny to stay out of room 237 and IIRC advises him to ignore certain illusions he might see, which doesn't make sense if the Overlook is just a regular hotel.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Feb 15, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Based on "The Shining but"I think they were speaking to wanting an alternate version of the film where that is the case. They were not saying that in the current version of the film there's nothing supernatural.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the original draft of the VVitch there wasn't anything supernatural they were just hallucinating due to ergot poisoning. But Robert Eggers rightfully realized that was bullshit and instead went with the angle that every single puritan superstition about witches was 100% true within the film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it was Stanley Kubrick said that everything is ambiguous until Jack is let out of the freezer.

Imagined posted:

I think it can be done well, like Brotherhood of the Wolf (it doesn't hurt that Monica Bellucci's costume budget was apparently non existent). There's also some really funny quest lines in AssCreed: Odyssey where there's a lot of Scooby Doo moments until it suddenly isn't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is I think Stephen King in particular does that a lot with stories you could take either way, because the focus is usually more on the effects on people rather than the supernatural menace itself. Stuff like Christine iirc is very much based around that kind of plausible deniability; that an object or location being 'cursed' isn't something that can necessarily be verified or explicitly shown, but bad things just happen around it.

Of course, the whole 'humans are the real monsters' deal has to be done well if you're going to have that. Which it absolutely can be.

A cartoon episode comes to mind where the characters get trapped in what seems to be a severely haunted house, and despite being monsters themselves they insist that ghosts aren't real. Eventually it turns out the house is just the fortified, booby-trapped bunker/battleground for an old soldier, who admits he set up all of the strange happenings himself... except for one. They all quickly leave, and then the house left by itself resumes all of its disturbing behaviour.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

That's a bit of a strange take I think. For one thing it implies that all of those things are mutually exclusive and can't work congruently. What do you base that on?

Nothing? Have you actually read the thread?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Twitch posted:

If you get any entertainment out of getting angry at lovely movies, I highly recommend you watch The Boy, and Brahms: The Boy II if you haven't already.

I really liked The Boy! The middle bit is especially great when it does start to seem that the Doll is haunted and I was genuinely engaged and questioning just what the hell was going on.

Brahms: The Boy II is awful, but I'll at least applaud the ballsy and incredibly dumb idea of having your sequel un-twist the twist of the first movie, so that your initial beliefs turned out to actually be accurate all along . It's pretty bad. But at least its bad in a way I have never seen before, and never thought possible.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SiKboy posted:

They'd need to spoiler the entire post pretty much though;

Well yeah, that's all spoilers. So what if most of what they wrote is behind spoilertext?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

packetmantis posted:

You know this movie is about something that actually happened, right?
Yes? I'm not commenting on the content of the film. It's a hacky title regardless, and being a true story doesn't make it immune to criticism.

I actually forgot to list the show that prompted my post: There's a new show about women detectives called Pretty Hard Cases, where a couple of pretty hard-cases solve some pretty hard cases! GET IT!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

I actually forgot to list the show that prompted my post: There's a new show about women detectives called Pretty Hard Cases, where a couple of pretty hard-cases solve some pretty hard cases! GET IT!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Hard_Cases posted:

Originally announced with the working title Lady Dicks...