Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fun fact: avere is dead before you even see edda for the first time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You meet all four of them very briefly before Tam-tara in the MSQ, and Avere is a loving rear end in a top hat

edit: ah, before sastasha VVVVVVVVVVV

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In retrospect, it is very clear that Edda went healer because none of the rest of her party was willing to play anything but a big violence-dealer and she was the only one who would swap classes.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
And then you later learn that Avere was super livid the day the big poo poo went down particularly because he lost his engagement ring to Edda the night before

Dolorous Bear is also another kinda... interesting hosed up ARR story

MechaX fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 15, 2021

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I still think it's funny they made a whole side story and dungeon (plus potd stuff) on what was essentially a throwaway lesson to tell players "Don't be a dick when grouped with others."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kurieg posted:

Lady Bune

I missed this when I posted it so I just want to let you know this is a good post and I appreciate it.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

HPanda posted:

I still think it's funny they made a whole side story and dungeon (plus potd stuff) on what was essentially a throwaway lesson to tell players "Don't be a dick when grouped with others."

"This is what happens when you treat your healer like poo poo. Don't do that."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HPanda posted:

I can think of at least four different sidestories in this game that are built around creatively telling the player 'hey, don't be an rear end in a top hat'. One of them is even lauded as one of the best questlines in the game.

Still doesn't really get through to a lot of people. But then, the entire plot throwing you right in the middle of a situation that you can't solve through violence, including having someone try to solve it through violence and getting pretty badly hosed up for it still doesn't teach a lot of players 'you can't always solve things through violence'.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a gear database that lists other items with the same model, or did I imagine that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bruceski posted:

Is there a gear database that lists other items with the same model, or did I imagine that?

garland tools
https://www.garlandtools.org/db/

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thanks

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Been trying out various classes/jobs at around Level 5 before I go and beat up a Snake Primal. Mainly because I want to at least try out some in case I want to focus on leveling when I eventually finish Shadowbringers (when I get to it since I'm still at Stormblood). That and learn the basics of being a Healer since I'm planning on trying out Sage when Endwalker is released and probably even use it in the story if I like it enough.

Out of all of them, Thaumaturge is probably my least favorite but that's mainly because I'm used Arcanist/Summoner and Red Mage while THM feels slower in my opinion.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

BLM is definitly one of those classes that sucks at low levels and only really shines once you get your full rotation. Then you feel like a ticking clock....of death :black101:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I love being a BLM main, but going into raid battles fresh or after a long break can be hell.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can tell you that BLM pretty much becomes a brand new job pretty late in the game, and trying out each job at a low level will give you the wrong impression of how the jobs play.

You should watch a video of the various classes do a bunch abilities to see which aesthetic is good and go for that one.

Or ask yourself if you’re a dot man, if so you got BRD or SMN. If you’re a big number man, go BLM and SAM. If you’re a button mashing man, go NIN and MCH. If you’re a combo/plate spin man, go DRG or MNK. If you’re a proc man go DNC. If you’re a utility man go RDM.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Twibbit posted:

I love being a BLM main, but going into raid battles fresh or after a long break can be hell.

Listen you gotta learn which of the bad aoe circles you can stand in and make the healers adjust vs. which will outright kill you, might as well go all in and make someone else carry your rear end while you learn and die repeatedly

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Yeah, I know that some classes completely change when they get their jobs. Hope my opinion on THM changes when it becomes BLM. PGL is probably one of the classes that I might focus on leveling since I like the idea of punching the poo poo out of enemies.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 15, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Pyro Jack posted:

Yeah, I know that some classes completely change when they get their jobs. Hope my opinion on THM changes when it becomes BLM.

I mean, I'm the worlds biggest BLM fan so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think there's no other job like it.

Learning new skills very rarely is a boring new ogcd to weave or button to press in a combo. So many of the skills fundamentally change the way you play the job, even getting entirely new rotations at several points.

It's also what makes it hell to level sync down to the point that I make sure to always level at least 2 DPS so I can avoid risking synching down blm if I so choose.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BLM is YoshiP's job of choice and it shows.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jokes posted:

I can tell you that BLM pretty much becomes a brand new job pretty late in the game, and trying out each job at a low level will give you the wrong impression of how the jobs play.

You should watch a video of the various classes do a bunch abilities to see which aesthetic is good and go for that one.

Or ask yourself if you’re a dot man, if so you got BRD or SMN. If you’re a big number man, go BLM and SAM. If you’re a button mashing man, go NIN and MCH. If you’re a combo/plate spin man, go DRG or MNK. If you’re a proc man go DNC. If you’re a utility man go RDM.

RDM has like one (1) utility button. Maybe 1.5 if you squint.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Pyro Jack posted:

Yeah, I know that some classes completely change when they get their jobs. Hope my opinion on THM changes when it becomes BLM. PGL is probably one of the classes that I might focus on leveling since I like the idea of punching the poo poo out of enemies.

Keep in mind that once you hit 30 and unlock the full job, you can hop into PotD to see how it plays at 60.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BisbyWorl posted:

Keep in mind that once you hit 30 and unlock the full job, you can hop into PotD to see how it plays at 60.

Ive leveled a whole bunch of jobs to 60 in PotD, and I can tell you that in all of the time I spent there, I learned nothing about how the classes actually play. Level 60 dungeon roulette a better way to learn even though you have to toss yourself in the deep end

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 15, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Countblanc posted:

RDM has like one (1) utility button. Maybe 1.5 if you squint.

Dog-simple rotation, easy to displace, mobility buttons, heal button, rez button, spammable instant cast button that does about the same as your normal rotation but costs resource, it’s really a utilitarian job.

In my opinion it’s the best/easiest job to clear new content with because it can heal/rez if needed, it’s stupid easy to displace, and is basically the easiest job.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I love that the table is bolted to the exit ramp but the chair isn't.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I missed this when I posted it so I just want to let you know this is a good post and I appreciate it.

Mission Complete
*blows up computer*

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Pyro Jack posted:

If you can manage it, give BLM a chance up through level 40. That's when you get the first big change to your rotation and it becomes a lot more fun. MNK you can get a good feel for at 30.

Renegret posted:

I mean, I'm the worlds biggest BLM fan so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think there's no other job like it.

Learning new skills very rarely is a boring new ogcd to weave or button to press in a combo. So many of the skills fundamentally change the way you play the job, even getting entirely new rotations at several points.

It's also what makes it hell to level sync down to the point that I make sure to always level at least 2 DPS so I can avoid risking synching down blm if I so choose.

The crazy part is, I can see where BLM is the most painful to downsync because of the types of changes, but at the same time I think it's still really good compared to other jobs at any given level. RDM is more complete at 50, but sub-50 I'd rather play BLM than the other casters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Twibbit posted:

I'm a WHM main, but I've taken to playing DNC on my first trip into a new trial or raid so I can stay focused on the boss and mechanics without worrying about a rotation or what the party is doing.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Cythereal posted:

I'm a WHM main, but I've taken to playing DNC on my first trip into a new trial or raid so I can stay focused on the boss and mechanics without worrying about a rotation or what the party is doing.

plus you get to buff people! and bring the pelotons!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Nibble posted:

The crazy part is, I can see where BLM is the most painful to downsync because of the types of changes, but at the same time I think it's still really good compared to other jobs at any given level. RDM is more complete at 50, but sub-50 I'd rather play BLM than the other casters.

BLM essentially reworks itself into 4 functionally different jobs at 50, 60, 70, and 80. They are all very effective but syncing down is so disjointing! And they also really gotta do something about abandoned spells, BLM has like 5 or 6 of them at 80 it's absurd.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So this is a little heavy but some of you might remember that Yoshida lost a good friend to cancer recently. Here is the blog post he made about it. The thing is though that he and this friend were really into gundam together and especially nu-gundam and there's been some speculation that Sage's weapon and some of the more obvious gundam references popping up recently in the game are a tribute to Maidy-san.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Honestly post 60 all that really changes is how you end fire phase, and your AOE rotation changes heavily I suppose

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
As much as it would be abused, I kinda wish they let Rescue be used outside of combat, if only to stop DPS from wandering down random hallways pulling a poo poo load of trash in Totorak or some poo poo

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

MechaX posted:

As much as it would be abused, I kinda wish they let Rescue be used outside of combat, if only to stop DPS from wandering down random hallways pulling a poo poo load of trash in Totorak or some poo poo

I worry every time I use rescue, even though every time I do it it's legitimately to save someone, but i've heard you can get a final fantasy sixer if it offends the person you saved

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Renegret posted:

Listen you gotta learn which of the bad aoe circles you can stand in and make the healers adjust vs. which will outright kill you, might as well go all in and make someone else carry your rear end while you learn and die repeatedly

As a healer main, I'm glad they started putting damage down debuffs on many survivable "errors"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of Rescue, can you use it to murder somebody during Queen's Edict in DR or does the mechanic ignore forced movement?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

mistaya posted:

So this is a little heavy but some of you might remember that Yoshida lost a good friend to cancer recently. Here is the blog post he made about it. The thing is though that he and this friend were really into gundam together and especially nu-gundam and there's been some speculation that Sage's weapon and some of the more obvious gundam references popping up recently in the game are a tribute to Maidy-san.

Whoa that's heavy, dude really fuckin loves his media and I envy it.

I really hope that's why we had the gundam stuff.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Twibbit posted:

Honestly post 60 all that really changes is how you end fire phase, and your AOE rotation changes heavily I suppose

Eh, having Xeno to allow weaves instead of relying on procs is definitely missed sub-80.

As a MNK main whose been playing a lot of BLM in casual content recently, BLM feels like a runaway freight train barreling down a mountain. There’s going to be a giant wreck at the end, and it’s a matter of whether or not you’re left in the pileup with the monster or you manage to get it back on rails for the next go around.

derra fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 15, 2021

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tamba posted:

As a healer main, I'm glad they started putting damage down debuffs on many survivable "errors"

"Oops all Damage Downs" is kind of annoying but it is much more effective at making DPS do mechanics than vuln stax ever were.

Twice-come-ruin even more so, but goddamn I don't really want to see that one in more stuff.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

"Fail mechanics twice in 90 seconds and you die" is good encouragement to at least try to pay attention. Sadly there's no fix for "tank ate poo poo 5 seconds before a tank buster, tag you're it". This seems to happen to me alarmingly often.

Also had a tank in DR yesterday who used an Essence of the Irregular on the way in without properly reading it first. Then couldn't overwrite it because he had no other essences. Props to him for sticking it out and not just leaving the duty, but he sure did die a lot given every unavoidable raid wide attack hit him for more than his max hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The shorter aetherial manipulation does make it easier now though. You can play chicken with mechanics.

Unless you're me in e10n this week when you zip to a random party member and, whoops randomly picked a tank goofing around and got us both blown up.

It was hilarious though.