Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

God I wanna get back to Europe so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HookShot posted:

Another person died yesterday in the backcountry outside Whistler. Two in two days.

It’s not funny, but it is kinda funny to read “poop chute” in news stories.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Finally a real utah powder day in lcc, and ikon blackout weekend too.

Easily half the number of people when ikon is blacked out, and pretty much every lift line was full of folks joyously celebrating said blackout.

I don't fault anyone for buying an ikon since it's a loving smoking deal, but it really shows in the crowds on pow days. Nice to have a respite occasionally.

Hope yall are getting those faceshots!

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
is this the touring thread too?

i'm currently skiing on a (very) old set of dynafit TLTs (the kind you turn the heel piece on) and i'm looking to upgrade to end this season. I've been looking at the dynafit Turn 2s and the g3 zed 9s and I was wondering if any of you goons had skied either of them and could offer any insight.

i'm east coast so i ski sub 100mm waists in garbage conditions, powder performance isn't really applicable to me. uphill's a bigger deal.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ought ten posted:

It’s not funny, but it is kinda funny to read “poop chute” in news stories.

CBC posted:

The skiers were swept up in an avalanche in the Poop Chutes off Blackcomb Glacier

If you're going to go that's a hell of a place to do so.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was a very good day. We got out with Spime Wrangler and his lady. They kicked rear end, especially coming from flat land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-NhGLwZovY

Spime Wrangler with the art of the Tele Turn. (I will let him post the art of me crashing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfbhfYl2puU

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 15, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Vail Pass again or what? Looks great

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Vail Pass again or what? Looks great

Yeah man. It was real nice. Had a weird pocket of sun the whole time.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

kalvanoo posted:

i'm currently skiing on a (very) old set of dynafit TLTs (the kind you turn the heel piece on) and i'm looking to upgrade to end this season. I've been looking at the dynafit Turn 2s and the g3 zed 9s and I was wondering if any of you goons had skied either of them and could offer any insight.

i'm east coast so i ski sub 100mm waists in garbage conditions, powder performance isn't really applicable to me. uphill's a bigger deal.

I have a few different pairs, some Dynafit Radical STs which I've used a lot and really like, some Salomon Shifts which are great but a bit heavier, and some Plum R170s which were intended for the Patrouille des Glaciers last year and never got used.

The trade-off in the lighter weight bindings is ease of use and adjustability vs weight. The Radical ST are pretty easy to just turn around and put into uphill mode, and have brakes which are quite handy. Going a bit heavier gets you more conventional heels like on Marker Kingpins.

Several friends have Plum bindings and they're really good, about as light as you can get while still being functional (different models, but these are adjustable and 170g). They'll be fine on a 100mm light-ish ski. When you're going this light you could start considering more race oriented boots which are getting pretty good for skiing now.
https://www.fixation-plum.com/en/our-bindings/1220-r170.html

The Wild Snow blog is pretty good for lightweight AT stuff.
https://www.wildsnow.com

Oh also I have my eye on some Moonlight skis for my next pair when I have space in the rack! Very cool
https://moonlightmountaingear.com/collections/skiing

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

D-d-d-double post

I also have a few sets of skins and really rate the Contour Hybrid skins that came with my Black Crows (which are also awesome and get used 95% of the time I go out).

The hybrid glue is really good and just so convenient compared to the standard glue on my Black Diamond skins.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

kalvanoo posted:

What’s up east coast touring buddy?

I ski Radical 2s. Very much prefer the flippy risers to the skinny system. And heavier obviously but the extra weight is worth the safety features to me. Can’t beat the price of Turn 2s though.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Awesome day yesterday! sprowzek and lady and dog were excellent guides, and we had fantastic conditions both weather and snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUXG3PD-eo

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

Awesome day yesterday! sprowzek and lady and dog were excellent guides, and we had fantastic conditions both weather and snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUXG3PD-eo

That’s a perfect clip, I can’t stop watching it

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Double post, just saw (on tik tok of all places) another skier dead near Loveland Pass. And a snowmobiler separately. So we’ve passed last year’s total.

E: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeLNHuXy/

ought ten fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 15, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

Double post, just saw (on tik tok of all places) another skier dead near Loveland Pass. And a snowmobiler separately. So we’ve passed last year’s total.

Saw that last night. I just don't get the risk analysis of some people. So much good terrain that is so chill. Very sad.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Man, this year's backcountry body count

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Saw that last night. I just don't get the risk analysis of some people. So much good terrain that is so chill. Very sad.

Agreed. The pictures of the slide look like it went down to the rocks in places, and on CalTopo that slope seems to be high 30s or 40s.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Are there any goggle manufacturers that don't change their loving lens design every year, making it impossible to find replacement lenses, or is that just a standard part of the grift?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've had Oakley Flight Deck XMs for probably four years now. I buy different frames all the time because I have a loving problem, but the lenses are all interchangeable between all of them. At least they have been so far.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I’m pretty sure Anon’s goggles are the same from last year and I don’t see them changing for the next season (unless I just jinxed it).

I had a pair of Smith IOs that I was able to get an extra lens for roughly 2 seasons after purchasing, but then they changed the design of how they swap out.

But yeah with ‘new’ magnetic features being added I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 1-2 season window, although I hope I’m wrong

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

resident posted:

Are there any goggle manufacturers that don't change their loving lens design every year, making it impossible to find replacement lenses, or is that just a standard part of the grift?

You can still buy replacement lenses for the original I/O (10+ years old) on Smith's website

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ought ten posted:

Holy poo poo that is huge

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

resident posted:

I have had really good luck with Outdoormaster goggles and have used them for the last 4 years. They are significantly cheaper than Oakley as well. Cheap enough that I have about 10 different lenses and 3 different straps.

The link below says they are "60% off and only 40 bucks for a limited time", but that is their price on Amazon, like all the time.

https://outdoormaster.com/products/ski-goggles-pro

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

ironlung posted:

You can still buy replacement lenses for the original I/O (10+ years old) on Smith's website

*throws my Anon M4s at the wall*

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Speaking of goggles. Does anyone have any recommendations for high contrast lenses for overcast flat light days (esp. in the Smith I/O line)? I almost launched myself off a ridge yesterday because I didn't see the drop off until the last moment.

EDIT: Just switched from my 25% VLT red mirror chromapop to the 50% VLT storm chromapop lens. Hopefully that helps.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 15, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

Speaking of goggles. Does anyone have any recommendations for high contrast lenses for overcast flat light days (esp. in the Smith I/O line)? I almost launched myself off a ridge yesterday because I didn't see the drop off until the last moment.

EDIT: Just switched from my 25% VLT red mirror chromapop to the 50% VLT storm chromapop lens. Hopefully that helps.

I have those storm chromapop and they have been pretty good in flat light.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

ought ten posted:

What’s up east coast touring buddy?

I ski Radical 2s. Very much prefer the flippy risers to the skinny system. And heavier obviously but the extra weight is worth the safety features to me. Can’t beat the price of Turn 2s though.
born from ice bud :hellyeah:

i dont have a lot of flippy riser experience but one thing i have noticed is they dont seem to have the same rise as the old TLT bindings. thinking now that wildsnow probably has a table of riser heights for various bindings.

what are the safety features that the radicals have? i'm assuming brakes? is there anything else they do that the lighter weight bindings don't?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

spwrozek posted:

I have those storm chromapop and they have been pretty good in flat light.

Also a fan. I have the storm rose, though I’d guess that the storm yellow is better for very overcast days. The photochromatic lenses are also supposed to be good for variable days, but I’ve never tried them.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have the yellow and the photo chromatic lens. The yellow is far better in poo poo light. I only use the photo chromatic lens for high overcast with cloud breaks.

I don’t know if this is just confirmation bias for me or what, but yellow tints have always worked better for me and I’ve convinced myself it’s a function of eye color. As a ginger with these baby blues, bright light makes me feel by like Gizmo.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

kalvanoo posted:

born from ice bud :hellyeah:

i dont have a lot of flippy riser experience but one thing i have noticed is they dont seem to have the same rise as the old TLT bindings. thinking now that wildsnow probably has a table of riser heights for various bindings.

what are the safety features that the radicals have? i'm assuming brakes? is there anything else they do that the lighter weight bindings don't?

I’m not fully versed in all the binding differences, but what I understand is that in addition to brakes they have a spring tensioned heel and the toe pivots, so they’re din certified. You get a little more boot movement before release, a more reliable release when the skis flex, plus lateral release.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

highme posted:

I only use the photo chromatic lens for high overcast with cloud breaks.

Do you also have one of the mirrored everyday lenses, and if so which do you like better for partly cloudy days? I’ve debated picking up one of the photochromatic lenses for a while, but can never decide if it’s really worth the upgrade given I already have a storm lens and a mirrored lens.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

highme posted:

I have the yellow and the photo chromatic lens. The yellow is far better in poo poo light. I only use the photo chromatic lens for high overcast with cloud breaks.

I don’t know if this is just confirmation bias for me or what, but yellow tints have always worked better for me and I’ve convinced myself it’s a function of eye color. As a ginger with these baby blues, bright light makes me feel by like Gizmo.
I have the Storm Rose. I really want the Storm Yellow but I can't find it online anywhere.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Yuns posted:

I have the Storm Rose. I really want the Storm Yellow but I can't find it online anywhere.

I have the Storm Yellow and don't find it particularly great for flat light FWIW. I can't remember which storm lens I had on my I/O X but I liked it way better than the yellow.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

nah thanks posted:

Do you also have one of the mirrored everyday lenses, and if so which do you like better for partly cloudy days? I’ve debated picking up one of the photochromatic lenses for a while, but can never decide if it’s really worth the upgrade given I already have a storm lens and a mirrored lens.

I wouldn’t pay retail for them. They’re ok, but not great on either end of the spectrum. I think I also have a Everyday Rose or red, I don’t remember what the 2nd lens with my blackout pair was.

Yuns posted:

I bought the Cody Townsend Squad XLs because they had that lens. Smith didn’t have the replacement lens in stock so I just got another frame.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

highme posted:

I wouldn’t pay retail for them. They’re ok, but not great on either end of the spectrum. I think I also have a Everyday Rose or red, I don’t remember what the 2nd lens with my blackout pair was.

That's what I figured. Thanks!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What is the trick with getting goggles to work well in low light? I've tried 3 different lenses with my Anon goggles and I can never seem to get good visibility in low light. My Smith sunglasses almost always work better and they're pretty high at like 50% or something. My Anon lenses are 21% and 53% and I can never see poo poo when its overcast.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I wear my blackout lenses all the time and ski by ESP. Mostly because I can never find the right lens when I’m looking for it.

Tomorrow looks like a good day to burn 4 hours of PTO.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had pto for tomorrow am but lcc has been fully closed all day and through tomorrow am at the earliest, so I am guessing probably won't be able to get anything other than maybe wilbere going at the bird before like 11 am, so I might just skip the wait on this one and cash my pto back in. This past weekend was already all time.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I wear my blackout lenses all the time and ski by ESP. Mostly because I can never find the right lens when I’m looking for it.

Tomorrow looks like a good day to burn 4 hours of PTO.

Yeah, a lot of the time I am too lazy to change lenses, so I just lean back and ride by feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just got back from weeknight ski race training. Our small resort has full lighting so we can run night training during the school week so the kids get 2 mandatory weekend days and 2 to 3 optional weeknights of training a week. I'm not sure if the kids realize how lucky they are that they can ski 4-5 days a week living in a non-mountain town.