Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As a long-time Skaven player, I'm liking the look of these Ratkin.

:catstare: at them using the word Vermintide as a unit name. Really trying to put a stick in GW's eye, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Speaking of new Mantic models, I finally got this guy in the mail.

This was the first model I've ever magnetized. I think it turned out really well!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

The Bloop posted:

:catstare: at them using the word Vermintide as a unit name. Really trying to put a stick in GW's eye, I guess

Passive aggressive marketing?

Nice job Atlas, that things a bit of a beast.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Thanks. I botched the priming on it since I used a can of spray that was nearly empty without realizing it (it was a small can, so I wasn't used to the weight) and it mostly just got splotchy. I also don't think I cleaned the resin as well as I should have, so the first couple of layers beaded up badly. All that considered, it ended up as nice as it could have. I'm not exactly sure how I'll fit him onto the average Deadzone board though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not exactly sure how I'll fit him onto the average Deadzone board though.

Just tell your opponents he has a rule for distorting the physical world around him as he moves and shove stuff out of the way.

Most will never check!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MCPeePants posted:

I'll just psychically bully you until you pick it up! Are you in one of the parts of Australia that can have in-person gaming? Any Armada traction?

:shepface: I promised myself I'd stop spending for a while

I am and we can, no idea though because I haven't been out to the club I play Mantic games at in a while, it's still a fair drive and I have a new job which is 24/7 shift work.

The Bloop posted:

Rules

Atlas Hugged posted:

Speaking of new Mantic models, I finally got this guy in the mail.

This was the first model I've ever magnetized. I think it turned out really well!

Stompy rules

Also a new Dreadball coach for the upcoming Magnetar Circuit. I love the humour Mantic keeps with Dreadball.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

New Ogre mini coming, however it comes with a sad story

https://www.manticgames.com/news/tribute-to-a-kings-of-war-legend-jesse-cornwell/

Per an earlier post on FB, he worked with the Mantic sculptor to design it from the hospital in his final few weeks.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.manticgames.com/news/tribute-to-a-kings-of-war-legend-jesse-cornwell/

Per an earlier post on FB, he worked with the Mantic sculptor to design it from the hospital in his final few weeks.

That is sad. It's a nice sculpt, hopefully it raises a good chunk for charity.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Quite impressed with that mini. Manages to look like a completely natural vision despite being just crammed full of references.

Starting a new project! I keep telling myself my next army will be a mantic one, but the turnaround on 3d printed stuff is just so much faster for my little brain. Inspiration ain't cheap, gotta take it as it comes.

Very experimental, I mostly wanted to see how a coat of paint would look on my low-quality print. It's pretty good for a $100 printer, but I've decided it bothers me enough that I want to upgrade. Anyway, very lazy paintjob, the scales are really doing all the work: terradon turquoise contrast paint over a zenithal undercoat (with desert tan instead of grey, I find the extra warmth really helps the contrasts pop) then some fairly extensive drybrushing with a couple greens. The yellow on the face and throat was to try to pull some interest forward, but I'm not really sure if it worked - weird pose, and bright colors in the shaded zone I established with the zenithal doesn't really make sense. I'll probably do more on the head and shoulders for the next one, since that's about all you see on the table.

Looking forward to getting some Tyrants going. Coming from Trident Realm, the idea of a proper hammer unit is very appealing. Gotta get some scorchwings too, I always love a fast harassing unit. Neat list, Salamanders.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nice lizard! I need to finish painting the Ogres I have and then start working on my Elf army, but kinda need more completed-army compatible storage space. Which I have, it's just still stored in the cardboard flatpack box waiting for more space to assemble :downs:

Also this happened

Quality contents, and aside from slightly bent masts that can be fixed with hot water, the minis are in top shape.

You still want those card scans?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Nice lizard! I need to finish painting the Ogres I have and then start working on my Elf army, but kinda need more completed-army compatible storage space. Which I have, it's just still stored in the cardboard flatpack box waiting for more space to assemble :downs:

Also this happened

Quality contents, and aside from slightly bent masts that can be fixed with hot water, the minis are in top shape.

You still want those card scans?

Yes please! Would love to hear some impressions once you start getting games in, too.

New printer (photon mono) ordered, so hopefully that hobby hiatus doesn't completely kill my momentum. I guess the smart thing would be to paint the rest of the low-quality lizards I have as test schemes so I don't have to deal with that paralyzing ordeal down the road.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MCPeePants posted:

Yes please! Would love to hear some impressions once you start getting games in, too.

New printer (photon mono) ordered, so hopefully that hobby hiatus doesn't completely kill my momentum. I guess the smart thing would be to paint the rest of the low-quality lizards I have as test schemes so I don't have to deal with that paralyzing ordeal down the road.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Thank you kind goon!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got the Armada 2-playet set as well! I'm a little annoyed that the cards for the tiny ships aren't included, as I don't want to buy the booster boxes just to get them.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

I got the Armada 2-playet set as well! I'm a little annoyed that the cards for the tiny ships aren't included, as I don't want to buy the booster boxes just to get them.

Yeah I'm not super impressed with the way they're not releasing stats outside of the boxes. Apparently Armada and Vanguard are coming to their army-builder this month, so perhaps that will be a way to preview things before buying. It's not that relevant with the number of fleets right now, but I'm trying to compare playstyles to decide what to play!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Easyarmy has Armada list building now, complete with all the cards. It looks like it cost a few $ a month to use it though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A Youtuber I watch was proselytizing about KoW as a former WHFB player, and I have to admit it looks great!

I have a 3D printer coming next week and I think KoW would be a fun thing to start printing minis for - since it's pretty forgiving about proxying minis. Does anyone have any favorite spots for STLs or favorite models they've used?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

A Youtuber I watch was proselytizing about KoW as a former WHFB player, and I have to admit it looks great!

I have a 3D printer coming next week and I think KoW would be a fun thing to start printing minis for - since it's pretty forgiving about proxying minis. Does anyone have any favorite spots for STLs or favorite models they've used?

In fact it is extremely forgiving about proxying minis. I'm currently printing a Salamander army from a combination of One Page Rules and Raven Twin - it's much cheaper if you get them through patreon as they're being made. Some I keep an eye on: Titan Forge, Heroes Infinite, Ilhadiel, Artisan Guild, Lost Kingdom, Last Sword. If you're interested in Bretonnian vibes, Lost Kingdom has late pledges on their Kingdom of Mercia kickstarter right now - absolutely gorgeous sculpts, and can't beat the price. I'm extremely tempted, even though I don't really want to play them and DEFINITELY don't want to give all the heraldry the attention it deserves.

Then there's a guy that takes warhammer total war models and manually re-textures them https://cults3d.com/en/users/EmanG/creations

Printers are also of course excellent for diorama detail elements, which KoW thrives on. I found a pack of tiny mushrooms and snails on thingiverse and made an amazing fairy circle.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MCPeePants posted:

In fact it is extremely forgiving about proxying minis. I'm currently printing a Salamander army from a combination of One Page Rules and Raven Twin - it's much cheaper if you get them through patreon as they're being made. Some I keep an eye on: Titan Forge, Heroes Infinite, Ilhadiel, Artisan Guild, Lost Kingdom, Last Sword. If you're interested in Bretonnian vibes, Lost Kingdom has late pledges on their Kingdom of Mercia kickstarter right now - absolutely gorgeous sculpts, and can't beat the price. I'm extremely tempted, even though I don't really want to play them and DEFINITELY don't want to give all the heraldry the attention it deserves.

Then there's a guy that takes warhammer total war models and manually re-textures them https://cults3d.com/en/users/EmanG/creations

Printers are also of course excellent for diorama detail elements, which KoW thrives on. I found a pack of tiny mushrooms and snails on thingiverse and made an amazing fairy circle.

This is an AWESOME post. Thank you for this! OPR looks great, I can throw together a pretty cheap Dwarf army from that.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

This is an AWESOME post. Thank you for this! OPR looks great, I can throw together a pretty cheap Dwarf army from that.

Yeah seconded thanks I've looked all over patreon and initially glossed over lost Kingdom but they've done some great stuff since and I thought the WTW guy was a done deal but clearly they're still putting out new stuff.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Happy to help! I don't know if you saw, but they're giving away about half of their dwarfs as part of their March Patreon, which also comes with a 50% (70% this month) off code for their myminifactory store. Definitely the way to do it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MCPeePants posted:

Happy to help! I don't know if you saw, but they're giving away about half of their dwarfs as part of their March Patreon, which also comes with a 50% (70% this month) off code for their myminifactory store. Definitely the way to do it.

Just joined and picked up the whole Undead Mummy army for $20 thanks to the 70% off coupon :toot:

Excited to get dorfs in March!

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Just joined and picked up the whole Undead Mummy army for $20 thanks to the 70% off coupon :toot:

Excited to get dorfs in March!

Nice! What printer did you get?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MCPeePants posted:

Nice! What printer did you get?

Elegoo Mars Pro - I like the resolution of resin printing and this one seemed like it had good reviews :)

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Elegoo Mars Pro - I like the resolution of resin printing and this one seemed like it had good reviews :)

Right on, I just upgraded from a photon zero to a mono. Going from 15s cure time to 1.6s is pretty wild. I'm going to see about squeezing into OPR's monthly painting contest - nothing I really want from the March releases, so I don't really want to pay for them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I started assembling my Forge Fathers tank last night and it's a genuinely awesome kit. All the pieces come loose (in a bag) which can be overwhelming at first if you're used to having something on a sprue, but there are a couple of photos on the Mantic store for the vehicle that show you how to sort the components and with that done it basically goes together like a Lego set. I mean that sort of literally. I was able to put together the whole thing without any glue and while it's not exactly push-fit-tight, it does hold together because of how the pieces interlock. This makes it ideal for constructing a dry run.

I was thinking about magnetizing it, but it's not necessary (or even possible?). You get three complete turrets that don't share any pieces so if you want to exchange weapons it's as easy as just... lifting off the turret and putting a different turret on. The only possible thing to magnetize would be the back and top armor if you wanted to make it an APC instead of a tank. That seems like it would be intensive given how some of pieces fit together, but I'll give it a second look tonight because I have magnets lying around.

Anyway, I'll get some work-in-progress photos up soon.

I should post my Matsudon force as well as I just finished painting them. They were much smaller than I expected them to be (fit on a standard Mantic round base for infantry), especially given they're "size 2" in Deadzone. Really nice models though with excellent detail.

I'm also expecting to receive my resin Elf Drakon Rider soon along with a Star Saga set that I tacked on as well. Lots of Mantic fun recently!

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm also expecting to receive my resin Elf Drakon Rider soon along with a Star Saga set that I tacked on as well. Lots of Mantic fun recently!

Wait the league of infamy stuff is in resin? I assumed it would be bendy board game plastic.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

MCPeePants posted:

Wait the league of infamy stuff is in resin? I assumed it would be bendy board game plastic.

PVC as standard but they also sold resin as an option.

Fun fact; the larger pledge level has been delayed as Mantic discovered at the last minute that the factory only packed 3 of a particular mini instead of 6. In every box. Apparently the production sample was correct, but not the production run.

Cue immediate demands from nerds for an option to pay additional shipping to have their orders split. Personally, I'm just going to wait for them to fix it because it's not like I'm allowed to get a gaming group together in the next couple of months.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've played my first game of League of Infamy and it was fun

I have a couple serious rules questions though and I can't see where mantic has anything like an FAQ going for it yet

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I've played my first game of League of Infamy and it was fun

I have a couple serious rules questions though and I can't see where mantic has anything like an FAQ going for it yet

I think they are holding off until more people have their pledges. Mine is in limbo until something happens with these missing minis!

Hopefully they made them but forgot to pack them. And hopefully they don't get sent by boat, otherwise it is going to be a long wait!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MCPeePants posted:

The core set is as mentioned. I didn't bother with that. I just wanted an Elf Lord on Drakon which I guess is in "plastic" now that I am reviewing my order. It was supposed to be delivered today, but it had the wrong address on it so I've had to reschedule it for tomorrow. Let's hope I can get my hands on it.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
My Kickstarter package arrived today; the drakon model is very impressive, especially for a board game. I don't think these are resin, but the detail is very good. Now I just need a pandemic friend to play it with. My 3 year old is still trying to master Here Fishy Fishy...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
As far as I can tell, Mantic and I have a relationship, despite how much I've spent, that amounts to "Whoopsie doodles".

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rats.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care for the cavalry mounts at all

But I love the rest!

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Yeah new mawbeasts are certainly technically better than the old ones, but they don't have anywhere near the same charm. Mutant rat fiend is a real triumph, same as Scud.

Printing Salamanders is going nicely, currently up to two regiments of Ancients and two Lekelidons. No more painting progress because I am a bad person, but I'm hoping to get some basecoating done this weekend.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Managed, with absolutely no help from Mantic, to get FedEx to send me my package to the correct address. I emailed Mantic months ago to inform them that I had moved and they assured me that they had sorted it on their end and that I would receive the pledge at my current address. This did not happen.

FedEx, at least out here, is much worse than DHL. DHL will send you an invoice a few days before delivery is scheduled and you can pay with a credit card if you owe a duty fee. FedEx expects cash on delivery which means that coordinating a delivery time is at best a hassle, especially if you work full-time! So having the package sent to an address that you don't even live at is frustrating to put it mildly.

I sent several emails to Mantic asking for assistance from their end and a dozen to FedEx, plus phone calls. Ultimately the only thing I wanted or really even needed from Mantic once I had gotten in touch with FedEx and explained the situation was clarification of how many packages I'd be receiving and if they could correct my address before shipment in the case that it was a split shipment. Their response, days late, was, "Don't know how many boxes we're sending. Sorry."

I might not be ordering from them again. I am pretty pissed off about the whole thing. They just came across as so blasé. "Yep, that's a whoopsies on our part, heh. GG GLHV."

Anyway, I have no idea what I was supposed to get because my pledge just says "Star Saga bundle" and "Drakon" and I can't find any place that lists the contents of the Star Saga "bundle". There was also no packing slip in the box. I have the core set and they also packed the Character and Mission creator. I'm sure that's enough to make use of it given how much Deadzone stuff I have. The Drakon is fine I guess. The detail is really good, but the plastic is bendy boardgame plastic, feels kind of like Bones. As a result, the base is badly curved. I'm not sure if the boiling trick will work on this material. It also came as a single piece to make it ready to use in the game, but I'd have preferred it was a kit to make gap filling and mold line cleaning easier.

Also have a Matsudan.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Judging from the facepage, people are doing well fixing warping with hot water.

As far as I know everything is PVC plastic unless you ordered resin upgrades. The Kickstarter page lists 'Plastic Elf Lord on Drakon' in the add ons for £12. So no resin upgrades there.

Star Saga bundle is this?

https://gamefound.com/projects/mantic-games/league-of-infamy/products/details/3803#/

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Then it was packed correctly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Played through the first couple of training missions and Star Saga is really good! The Nexus deck is a cool way to weave narrative elements into the dungeon crawling. Mechanically, it was simple enough that my 5 year old with limited reading was able to get his head around it and beat the first two missions (I wasn't trying that hard to beat him). It's probably the best adaptation of Shadowrun we're likely ever to see again.