Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

thing is easier and requires less janitoring

“seems like a cop out to me” - a linux user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Linux’s whole thing is to not have to computer janitor these days. Containers, flat packs, in-place kernel updates, etc., etc. I haven't monitored my workstation in drat near a decade.

This angered some nerds, so they created Gentoo, but then Gentoo also became mostly janitor free, so now there's Arch.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how is gentoo doing these days? haven't used it since the aughts

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

No idea; I haven't used it since the early 2000s as well. I decided I wasn't an edgy teenage spergloard. :v:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A janitor-free linux sounds like a linux that can break even more often to me, but i don't know much

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

A janitor-free linux sounds like a linux that can break even more often to me, but i don't know much

In my experience, there are three main types of Linux users:
- Those that only use LTS versions of common distros (CentOS, Ubuntu xx.04, official Debian releases.) These require very little to no janitoring other than updates.

- Those that get the latest release version (Fedora, the newest version of Ubuntu, Debian testing, etc..) Usually stable requires a small amount of janitoring from time to time.

- Those that go, full computer janitor, rolling release distro (Arch, Gentoo, Debian unstable.) These are for people who like to janitor their poo poo.

The older you get, the more likely you end up in the first category.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 15, 2021

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the zeroth category being abandoning linux for a real OS?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

the zeroth category being abandoning linux for a real OS?

Other OS’ require the same amount or more janitoring.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Other OS’ require the same amount or more janitoring.

things linux users actually believe

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

things linux users actually believe

I own a MacBook and a Windows laptop. Windows updates are atrocious and take forever, and every Mac OS update breaks a billion small things.

Edit: My work laptop dual boots Windows and Linux, and I didn't update it for almost nine months as I was using my workstation at home instead. When I had to go into the office, I updated both Windows and Linux the night before.

Linux: dnf update --refresh -y and reboot. Total time: 5 minutes
Windows: Multiple updates, multiple reboots. Total time: Over an hour.

Windows is a joke.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 15, 2021

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

macos just works for me, op

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
windows updates are bafflingly tedious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i like the way every macos update, major or minor, will reset all your custom application permissions, because you might not have really meant to set them like that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mycophobia posted:

they happen once a month, on the second tuesday of the month, unless there's an emergency patch. they get installed, and the system reboots if it's idle, or nags you to reboot if it's not.

idk what else you run into. the biggest problem i've ever seen is microsoft deciding that captive ads for paid features on login is a good idea

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Windows is a joke.

this is definitely a problem if windows is unpatched for an extended time. the windows updates are packaged as cumulative, but the windows update mechanism was written by clowns and so will attempt to download and install all the intermediate updates chronologically anyway

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mycophobia posted:

the last time i clean-installed windows 7 on something years ago, updates just didn't work and it took an hour of googling and manually installing files named things like kb420696669763825.exe to get them working again

the grandma friendly os

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The_Franz posted:

the last time i clean-installed windows 7 on something years ago, updates just didn't work and it took an hour of googling and manually installing files named things like kb420696669763825.exe to get them working again

the grandma friendly os

this is actually a you problem

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

for some reason my home gentoo server boots up into systemd emergency mode every time, and i have to press ctrl-d to finish the boot process, the machine is in the basement and only gets rebooted for kernel updates every several weeks so i have not been motivated to figure this out or mess with it further

maybe next time i swap out some hard drives for higher capacity ones

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

the grandma friendly os

yeah, and calculating which updates to install was (is?) at least quadratic runtime in the number of available updates, which was a huge problem when updates were small and individual instead of monthly cumulative

i remember doing a favor for a friend and updating a laptop from xp to a clean install of windows 7 sp1, the "checking for updates" step literally took ~22 hours before showing the list of updates that could be installed, i think it was a 2.4ghz core 2 duo machine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I own a MacBook and a Windows laptop. Windows updates are atrocious and take forever, and every Mac OS update breaks a billion small things.

Edit: My work laptop dual boots Windows and Linux, and I didn't update it for almost nine months as I was using my workstation at home instead. When I had to go into the office, I updated both Windows and Linux the night before.

Linux: dnf update --refresh -y and reboot. Total time: 5 minutes

Windows is a joke.

sounds like you're just bad at computers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Do Linux users drive-by threadshit the apple thread every few days the way you idiots threadshit this one?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that os you like? it's actually a pos

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Do Linux users drive-by threadshit the apple thread every few days the way you idiots threadshit this one?

where the hell do you think you're posting lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm trying out something called bhodi linux right now and it's kinda disappointing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also it wouldn't install on my P3 workstation for unclear reasons

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm sorry there are shitposts in the shitposts forum. if you'd like, sh/sc has a great thread where you can talk about linux with some guy that's obsessed with freebsd

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm trying out something called bhodi linux right now and it's kinda disappointing

tell me more about this linux’s vision

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I am currently attempting to build the Brave browser from source because the binary is not available on the official repos on Arch (though a binary is available on the AUR).

I'm currently about 2 hours into the process and it has downloaded about 30 gigs of dependencies and has tied up my computer at 100% cpu usage putting this thing together.

What a great experience.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

enjoy mining bitcoins for some shithead

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Can I stop a pacman build from source without it leaving the 30 gigs of poo poo it downloaded god knows where on my computer or do I have to wait for this garbage to finish before removing it?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i had to janitor my gentoo a little bit today to update from python 3.7 to python 3.8

less tedious to update stuff in gentoo nowadays than before though, less eselect cruft. what's left now, binutils-config and gcc-config? and perl-cleaner (shouldn't be necessary most of the times)

(im talking about how many runtime things you have to fiddle with when choosing which version of things to use when compiling)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
In other Linux news: Gnome 40 looks like a knockoff Mac OS clone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

In other Linux news: Gnome 40 looks like a knockoff Mac OS clone.

designers ripping off apple is not news

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

designers ripping off apple is not news

yeah, but they even stole the dock.

https://youtu.be/nr5UladxSbk

(sound off)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

(sound off)

what in the good christ is narrating that video? an anime bot? mods?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

DID I NOT SAY SOUND OFF?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Last Chance posted:

yes, it's some german anime weeb weirdo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my new pc doesn’t update windows 10 anymore because important files are missing. seems to me like an update manager should automatically retrieve those files if they’re so important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

(sound off)

The gently caress is with that TTV?