Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Biplane posted:

Counterpoint: england fuckin sucks balls

Agreed and its mostly Englands fault that Scotland is in such disrepair.

Westminster either doesn't think about Scotland or when it does it thinks about them with contempt.

From that point its only smart to leave.

Otoh I'm worried about rhe SNP cause they do seem to be a similarly corrupt and unserious government just with much better messaging.
Sturgeon has blatantly had zero control over the covid response, she pretty much just comes out the same day and says whatever bojo said but cogently as if it's her own plan.

Imo this would be a really good time to admit the SNP can't control anything and is basically a LARP government and it endangers Scottish lives.
That she hasn't shows that like in the UK the kayfabe of pretending to govern is more important than lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i think the symbolic victory of independence passing and UK saying no is good enoujgh for my funniness appettite

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

its even funnier if ireland reunites but scotland isnt allowed to

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

bird. posted:

its even funnier if Northumbria breaks away but scotland isnt allowed to

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Agreed and its mostly Englands fault that Scotland is in such disrepair.

Westminster either doesn't think about Scotland or when it does it thinks about them with contempt.

From that point its only smart to leave.

Otoh I'm worried about rhe SNP cause they do seem to be a similarly corrupt and unserious government just with much better messaging.
Sturgeon has blatantly had zero control over the covid response, she pretty much just comes out the same day and says whatever bojo said but cogently as if it's her own plan.

Imo this would be a really good time to admit the SNP can't control anything and is basically a LARP government and it endangers Scottish lives.
That she hasn't shows that like in the UK the kayfabe of pretending to govern is more important than lives.

But is this a case that Sturgeon had zero control because she was incompetent, or because she constituionally didn't have the power to carry out a substantively different prevention strategy? (genuine question)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

multijoe posted:

But is this a case that Sturgeon had zero control because she was incompetent, or because she constituionally didn't have the power to carry out a substantively different prevention strategy? (genuine question)

I don't think she's incompetent so I think it has to be the latter.

However they are meant to have control over the Scottish NHS but I guess that's also a fib.

Accounting for population size Scotland has done as bad or worse than England in some places. Which you would expect since its way more neglected.

You don't hear this in Scotland at all though and Nicolas support has gone up the whole time.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it does make sense, in a way

sturgeon's very good at channeling the whole common-sense leadership aura, and this way she gets to have the spin several ways - she both gets to present as the Competent and Qualified mirror to johnson, she gets to look In Charge and powerful and she gets to piggyback off the tory media machine as they run cover for the government

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm that way the media reality distortion field is even stronger for the SNP than the tories

If bojo has hosed up then by the same metric so has sturgeon.
But whereas you will hear in England of bojo being a failure, even if ofc he's not gonna resign for it, you don't in Scotland apart from in the very minimally influential anti SNP rags

But she keeps going and giving briefings outlining her measures (huh weird bojo announces the same measures 2 hours later) and why theyr safe as if she had planned to still be being ravaged by the disease a year later.

It's so odd that I'm wondering if her advisors aren't telling her the bad stuff, early on the Scots government was ignoring a lot of deaths and during that period she was saying stuff like
"I can't tell you how much better I feel telling you there's no deaths today (when there were a couple dozen)"
So I wonder if she started to crack for a bit and they had to soften stuff for her, she does seem to be more human than a Westminster politician who loves death.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Still mad at BoJo for not dying of Covid.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Zeroisanumber posted:

Still mad at BoJo for not dying of Covid.

Him and Trump both should have.

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013
If Scotland leaves and rejoins the eu then maybe they'll get to set the language standard for eu communications and really rub it in some faces

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Swaegsthetics posted:

If Scotland leaves and rejoins the eu then maybe they'll get to set the language standard for eu communications and really rub it in some faces

lol what explain this further this sounds funny

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Trump actually would have if they hadn't given him the ambrosia too, it's bullshit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1361224424855400453

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
gently caress around and find out, Nick

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013

bird. posted:

lol what explain this further this sounds funny

imagine some English eel exporter trying to read pages and pages of regs and forms but it's been crammed full of dialectal variants from Scottish English preferably as confusing as possible

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Swaegsthetics posted:

imagine some English eel exporter trying to read pages and pages of regs and forms but it's been crammed full of dialectal variants from Scottish English preferably as confusing as possible

lmao 20 years down the road they teach scottish english as the primary form of english in colleges in or adjacent to the EU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the word oval office has replaced all nouns and you just need to figure it out

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

well on the surface of the issue I think I support the idea of teachers getting a mild pay rise but the language here makes me very uncomfortable

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

bitmap posted:

well on the surface of the issue I think I support the idea of teachers getting a mild pay rise but the language here makes me very uncomfortable

I'm pretty sure LBC regards the lib dems as "far left" tbh. It's content is specifically tailored to gammons and daily mail readers (but I repeat myself).

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Swaegsthetics posted:

will they have been “translated” by that American?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

will they have been “translated” by that American?

that is pretty funny

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Swaegsthetics posted:

Ireland already exists.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What was this?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Samovar posted:

What was this?

This is why you take screenshots people, it was LBC telling everyone that teachers are hard-line leftists and shouldn't be allowed to go on strike for meagre increase in pay

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

and lo they took down the tweet the loving cowards

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Hard-left unionists are plotting together to force MPs to give them a pay rise, as teachers are told to prepare for strikes if their 'demands' are not met. @NickFerrariLBC asks: should teachers be allowed to strike? pic.twitter.com/0Sjcf6GCk0

— LBC (@LBC) February 15, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

What was this?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

nick ferrari

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Boris getting his nips out for the lads

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1361296764393906178?s=19

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Very very disrespectful.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

Very very disrespectful.

all of those tweets now lost!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/UqYqjvH.mp4

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmao that this guy has the power of life and death over millions

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Swaegsthetics posted:

When i first arrived here from England it took me 2 years to figure out why the local barbers was called The Nut Hoose

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

you could cut glass with those bad boys. drat, boris.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mrmcd posted:

them and bolsanaro living through it proves that it doesn't kill evil people

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Dravs posted:

Isn't this the area of sea that has something like 1,000,000 tons of unexploded munitions from WW2 sitting in it? And the trench is so deep a tunnel under it would feel more like a roller coaster?

In 1995, phosphorus bombs washed up on Scottish coasts, coinciding with the laying of the Scotland-Northern Ireland pipeline (SNIP), a 24-inch (610-millimetre) gas interconnector constructed by British Gas. In the prior five years, antitank grenades had been washing up on Northern Irish and Isle of Man shore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

V. Illych L. posted:

plenty of functional countries are about the size of scotland, though i suspect that you're right in that there's a hint of the brexiteer delusion regarding the likely outcome of a separation

it'd be seriously traumatic for several years, and though they'd end up making their own ruling class out of it, reasonably they'd still all go to oxbridge and be basically adjunct to the rUK one

in sum i'd probably be pro-indy were i scottish, but it's not as huge a deal as it's portrayed, i think

If Northern Ireland separates from the UK and rejoins the EU, suddenly the EU has massive motivations to secure Scotland and build infrastructure there. I mean, other than the motivation of "gently caress the English" which is already the most unifying sentiment across the various EU factions.

GIUK gap turns into the GIS gap and all those resources are the EU's. And Norway's, sure, but Norway's fine with cooperation on building and maintaining power plants.