Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Fangz posted:

Does the Edgar Wright cut of Ant Man exist?

He only shot test footage. That being said, he heavily storyboards all of his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So, it does exist?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fangz posted:

So, it does exist?

Of course! Imagine all those storyboard and test footages placed in order and shown to us! It just needs a little postfx and it will be perfect.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean, the cost of that last little bit of polish on the Snyder cut is twice the entire budget of Wright's last movie, so it should be pretty easy to finish Edgar Wright's almost-complete Ant Man, that he spent years working on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The important thing to remember is that there is no way any possible version of this particular movie can be good. You either have the 14 year old boy edgelord version by an idiot or you have the severely lame reshot version by human garbage. Nobody wins in this scenario, really.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 15, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean in this case I'll take the edgelord version no question

If there was an edgelord version of Avengers 1 and 2 I'd take them as well

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Release the Snyder Cut of Avengers where Tony and Steve manage to get on the same page over their shared love of best buddies named James.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

if someone wants to put together the test footage, script and storyboards for the Edgar Wright cut then cool

I mean I like some of Wright's other films, very ambivalent on Ant-Man the character and the existing film, so to be honest it does not bother me either way whether there is a Wright cut, how "finished" a cut it is, how much extra work Wright puts into it, if it "replaces" other versions in the canon - MCU or film history. the people who want it can have it; people who don't, can have many other things instead

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The United States posted:

If there was an edgelord version of Avengers 1 and 2 I'd take them as well

I mean, that’s what this is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fangz posted:

Does the Edgar Wright cut of Ant Man exist?

It's my understanding that Edgar Wright left Ant Man before principal photography began, let alone having produced an assembly cut. So in that sense, no, an Edgar Wright cut of Ant Man does not exist.

If it did, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Fangz posted:

The opposition to "Release the Snyder Cut" is (a) an opposition to the conspiratorial framing of it, that there being a (near) finished alternative cut that WB is sitting on for ~reasons~, (b) a general suspicion that, given the description of the cut content, the version the snyder fans were clamouring for might well be equally bad, or even *worse* than the released version, (c) a realistic understanding that given the step in the process when Snyder left, a whole lot of expensive work would be required to finish the movie, and thus WB would be unlikely to do such a thing, and (d) an opposition to the general idea of endless director's cuts and patches to released movies in lieu of making new ones, and the fetishisation of the "director's vision" in general discourse.

This is what I’m talking about when I say there’s a lot of projection going on here. “Endless directors cuts”? The snydercut fans just wanted to see a movie by a guy they weren’t trying to upend the industry into some weird DLC fantasy you have going on in your noggin.

“Fetishization of the directors vision” is also a loving doozy. Should directors have no say in how movies are made or something? Lol

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghosthotel posted:

This is what I’m talking about when I say there’s a lot of projection going on here. “Endless directors cuts”? Fetishization? The snydercut fans just wanted to see a movie by a guy they weren’t trying to upend the industry into some weird DLC fantasy you have going on in your noggin.

He's not saying they are. He's saying this is what I'd already happening in film, cause in some ways it is, and they don't like it. I think that's insane, because having more stuff is better. I wish every work cut and directors cut of every movie ever was freely available to the public because that poo poo is interesting as gently caress.

I don't even really care about the Snyder cut specifically but I'm still very interested to see it cause it's, well, interesting.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I guess I’m out of the loop on that one cus outside of the infamous Cats theater patch I can’t think of anything in recent memory where we got a significantly altered version of a movie. I guess those two Exorcist movies from 2004-05 but that’s all that comes to mind.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

“Fetishization of the directors vision” is also a loving doozy. Should directors have no say in how movies are made or something? Lol

Disingenuous strawman.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Honest question what other take am I supposed to get from “the fetishisation of the "director's vision" in general discourse.”?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghosthotel posted:

I guess I’m out of the loop on that one cus outside of the infamous Cats theater patch I can’t think of anything in recent memory where we got a significantly altered version of a movie. I guess those two Exorcist movies from 2004-05 but that’s all that comes to mind.

There was a kids movie about 2-3 years ago about talking dogs that got a re-edit pushed to theaters because people complained about a scene. It was set at a dog show and there was a joke about how when they inspect a male dog they check his testicles. IIRC the issue was that the dog didn't want to be touched there and the movie treats this as a joke, which people thought was kind of a bad message for a kids movie.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Movies should become Open Source 10 years after release. All footage including outtakes and pre-effects work shots should be released onto the internet for remixing.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ghosthotel posted:

This is the opposite of "recent memory", but the 1931 Dracula is an interesting example of two separate films utilising the same story/sets etc The more dynamic and intriguingly shot Spanish version with Carlos Villarias, and the slightly more pedestrian (though with its own sense of eeriness) American version that never-the-less had Bela Lugosi who elevates it. But that was a long time ago, everything is changed in terms of how these things are made, so yes, as you cited the Exorcist prequel films are a better comparison.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

That’s pretty neat about the Dracula films and like Vince MechMahon said more content is good IMO

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

I mean, the cost of that last little bit of polish on the Snyder cut is twice the entire budget of Wright's last movie, so it should be pretty easy to finish Edgar Wright's almost-complete Ant Man, that he spent years working on.

Money is a dumbassed way to judge the difference of completion. A screenplay or storyboards is obviously not a film. It, literally, has not been filmed. An assembly cut is a movie that has been filmed and edited, even though it's unfinished without a mountain of post-production.

If it annoys you that like twenty movies could have been made for the price of the Snyder Cut, then comic book movies aren't your bag.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Movies should become Open Source 10 years after release. All footage including outtakes and pre-effects work shots should be released onto the internet for remixing.
Ridley Scott being fairly ahead of the curve there

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ghosthotel posted:

Han, ma boukie!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ghosthotel posted:

That’s pretty neat about the Dracula films

That was kind of SOP back then. Instead of doing dubs for foreign markets, studios will film another version into the language of the country they were selling it to.

Another example is "Night Owls", starring Laurel & Hardy. An American short that ran for 21 minutes, it was also filmed as "Ladrones", that added new gags and a new ending, ran for 36 minutes, and had Stan and Ollie speaking Spanish in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_and_Hardy_filmography#Foreign-language_versions

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 15, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This would rule so loving hard.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

It's my understanding that Edgar Wright left Ant Man before principal photography began, let alone having produced an assembly cut. So in that sense, no, an Edgar Wright cut of Ant Man does not exist.

If it did, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Did Wright ever say why he drug his feet on that movie so?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Davros1 posted:

That was kind of SOP back then. Instead of doing dubs for foreign markets, studios will film another version into the language of the country they were selling it to.

Another example is "Night Owls", starring Laurel & Hardy. An American short that ran for 21 minutes, it was also filmed as "Ladrones", that added new gags and a new ending, ran for 36 minutes, and had Stan and Ollie speaking Spanish in it.

iirc king kong v godzilla did something similiar

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Did Wright ever say why he drug his feet on that movie so?

Wasn't that just more common back before the MCU turned the whole thing into a massive engine where you can see the pieces moving? There's a huge graveyard list of attempts at Justice League movies that dragged on for years before quietly dying, and I want to say the Wachowskis had a 20 year period where they kept saying they were working on a Plastic Man movie.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Escobarbarian posted:

. You either have the 14 year old boy edgelord version by an idiot

And this is where we disagree, the fact you think it's edgy means you don't know what the words means. There's nothing edgy about Snyder's dcu. That it makes you have feelings isn't edgy. Is nolan edgy now? He did the same thing, with a Batman in the " real world". Burton made Batman a lunatic, is he edgy? Just another reason why people that like the films have reason to believe you just don't get them. Which is fine, but you don't think it is.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Escobarbarian posted:

The important thing to remember is that there is no way any possible version of this particular movie can be good. You either have the 14 year old boy edgelord version by an idiot or you have the severely lame reshot version by human garbage. Nobody wins in this scenario, really.

I hate this nasty, condescending poo poo so much. What harm am I doing to you for wanting to see a different version of a comic book movie?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Batman vs Superman movie that never happened actually cast a bunch of people before falling apart.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The Batman vs Superman movie that never happened actually cast a bunch of people before falling apart.

Noted cannibal and possible serial killer Armie Hammer was almost Batman!

site posted:

This is actually a myth.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Right, so did Justice League Dark, David Tennant was attached to Plastic Man in 2013, Nic Cage tested for... I wanna say Superman: Flyby. Hellboy 3 was supposed to happen and so was Hellboy: Silverlance, a spinoff about that elf prince guy in the second one. I think before comic book movies were a guarantee a ton of directors just had rights acquired and a handful of story images and scripts in their office as passion projects that would only happen if the planets aligned. Practically curios rather than actual plans.

Wright picked up the rights to Ant Man two years before Iron Man hit the screen, so he had them before anyone knew what the MCU was going to look like, and while he rolled with those changes til 2014, I don't think he wanted the project so he could work in a ton of references to other projects and have to take the Ant-Man characters somewhat seriously. I remember reading around that time rumors that Ant-Man might be a project that was disconnected from the MCU because Wright had a vision that didn't involve all that stuff.

It'd certainly be neat to see something like that, sort of like if the MCU had their own Joker type project. But Scott was fantastic in Civil War so...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is actually a myth.

Oh, yeah. I think in those books that would cover movie monsters (with an orange cover, they were probably in your elementary school library) even you had the 'Godzilla wins in the Japanese version, King Kong in the US one.'

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

site posted:

King Kong vs. Godzilla is a slightly different case. There was a famous urban legend for many years that stated that in the American version Kong won, and in the Japanese version Godzilla won. This isn't actually true, both versions feature Kong and Godzilla tumbling into the ocean with only Kong appearing above water again, but in the Japanese version you hear both monsters roar, however this roar is only the monsters saying "goodbye" to the audience, and not necessarily saying Godzilla lives (though obviously he does).

King Kong vs. Godzilla was subject to a heavy American re-edit with new scenes shot for American audiences but the special effects sequences and big chunks of the film are the same. The same happened with the first Godzilla, and The Return of Godzilla. A lot of the Godzilla films were torn apart in localization, but unlike Dracula where two mostly separate films were shot using the same sets, the Godzilla films were chopped to pieces and spliced with new footage after the fact to create a Franken-film. The most hilarious case being with Godzilla Raids Again, which they renamed Gigantis: The Fire Monster in a strange attempt to pretend the film wasn't a sequel to Godzilla and was in fact an original film.

Interestingly, there was a plan to use the suits from Godzilla Raids Again as well as footage from it to make a film called The Volcano Monsters. This would have been closer to what happened with Dracula as they would be using the same materials (the suits) to shoot new footage. However, the American studio shut down, and the suits were lost.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ghosthotel posted:

Honest question what other take am I supposed to get from “the fetishisation of the "director's vision" in general discourse.”?

The director is an important part of film production but is far from the only creative voice in most movies, and a lot of movies that were very successful critically or artistically ended up in the form they ended up *because* of the director having to work under heavy constraints, or were fixed in the edit by someone else. Star Wars is the biggest example, which also happens to be an example of a director going back to edit a released work to be closer to his vision and ruining it as a result. Indeed, in a great many movies, the director is not the main guy at all, and these movies are not intrinsically lesser.

EDIT: There's also a pretty big bunch of directors where I'd say "this guy really needs to work with a writer" or "this guy really needs to work with an editor".

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 15, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fangz posted:

The director is an important part of film production but is far from the only creative voice in most movies, and a lot of movies that were very successful critically or artistically ended up in the form they ended up *because* of the director having to work under heavy constraints, or were fixed in the edit by someone else. Star Wars is the biggest example, which also happens to be an example of a director going back to edit a released work to be closer to his vision and ruining it as a result.

Yeah this is getting into the weeds on if you buy into auteur theory or not. I think it's applicable to some extent, in certain cases, like Lynch or what not, but not so much with guys like, I dunno, McG. And even then it's a case by case basis. Lynch's Dune isn't an auteurs work. Snyder I think, in this case, is as close as you can get to that though. It's clearly all his plans here.

The real issue with star wars isn't even the changes, it's that the original versions are not available.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Karloff posted:

King Kong vs. Godzilla is a slightly different case. There was a famous urban legend for many years that stated that in the American version Kong won, and in the Japanese version Godzilla won. This isn't actually true, both versions feature Kong and Godzilla tumbling into the ocean with only Kong appearing above water again, but in the Japanese version you hear both monsters roar, however this roar is only the monsters saying "goodbye" to the audience, and not necessarily saying Godzilla lives (though obviously he does).

King Kong vs. Godzilla was subject to a heavy American re-edit with new scenes shot for American audiences but the special effects sequences and big chunks of the film are the same. The same happened with the first Godzilla, and The Return of Godzilla. A lot of the Godzilla films were torn apart in localization, but unlike Dracula where two mostly separate films were shot using the same sets, the Godzilla films were chopped to pieces and spliced with new footage after the fact to create a Franken-film. The most hilarious case being with Godzilla Raids Again, which they renamed Gigantis: The Fire Monster in a strange attempt to pretend the film wasn't a sequel to Godzilla and was in fact an original film.

Interestingly, there was a plan to use the suits from Godzilla Raids Again as well as footage from it to make a film called The Volcano Monsters. This would have been closer to what happened with Dracula as they would be using the same materials (the suits) to shoot new footage. However, the American studio shut down, and the suits were lost.

I dig it when the true story is more interesting than the myth I had heard

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Batman vs. Superman had been in development hell for at least nine years before Snyder made it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

You're not wrong but that billboard is from I Am Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Fangz posted:

The director is an important part of film production but is far from the only creative voice in most movies, and a lot of movies that were very successful critically or artistically ended up in the form they ended up *because* of the director having to work under heavy constraints, or were fixed in the edit by someone else. Star Wars is the biggest example, which also happens to be an example of a director going back to edit a released work to be closer to his vision and ruining it as a result. Indeed, in a great many movies, the director is not the main guy at all, and these movies are not intrinsically lesser.

EDIT: There's also a pretty big bunch of directors where I'd say "this guy really needs to work with a writer" or "this guy really needs to work with an editor".

My favorite example of studio notes genuinely making the movie 1 million percent better is that we only go the Delorean in Back to the Future because the studio's lawyers put their foot down on Zemekis's original plan, which was that Marty McFly would travel back to the future by climbing inside a refrigerator located at an atomic bomb testing range*. They pointed out the massive legal liability in inspiring thousands of American children to experiment with time travel by climbing inside discarded refrigerators, and a movie icon was reluctantly born.

*Which, yes, is the seed of the scene from Indian Jones and the Crystal Skull: Zemekis and Spielberg being incredibly old friends.