Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hannibal Rex posted:

I probably asked this before, but never had any luck finding an answer:

This was a shareware RPG I got on a 5.25'' disk from a computer magazine, somewhere between '89 and '91. The graphics were primitive, maybe even ASCII similar to nethack, but I believe you had a party. The only thing I remember about it clearly is that among the enemy types you could encounter were hobbits and 'gollums'. You would get a message like "You encounter 9 gollums", which would annoy me to no end, as I knew there was only ever one Gollum. I think it's more likely this was after I had first read Lord of the Rings, which would put in in 1991.

Angband?

Still no luck, I guess it's been lost to the aether. Oh well, thanks anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Back in 2008, I watched a non-SA LP of a possibly Japanese game where you played as a bed sheet style ghost. It was a side scrolling platformer and you could possess the enemies in order to do anything beyond basic movement. There were cute witches that could fly, pig-men that charged and could break blocks, and an enemy that could jet across.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Maigius posted:

Back in 2008, I watched a non-SA LP of a possibly Japanese game where you played as a bed sheet style ghost. It was a side scrolling platformer and you could possess the enemies in order to do anything beyond basic movement. There were cute witches that could fly, pig-men that charged and could break blocks, and an enemy that could jet across.

Avenging Spirit?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm trying to find a surrealist / abstract game that came out maybe in the mid to late aughts? Its NOT Yume Nikki, but I remember looking at that game around the same time. This one is even more abstract. Its a top down pixel art game. I think the title screen was black with white pixel or line art on it that might have looked sort of like a pinwheel or windmill? You walk around and interact with a very abstract world. I think the "player" might be just black pixels that vaguely look humanoid. I think you pick up black (or white) abstract looking flowers. At one point you can get into a UFO looking thing and the music changes and you can fly over some water.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sounds like Off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't remember a lot of flower-picking in Off.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Off looks interesting and I'm going to look at it independently, but that isn't in unfortunately. The art was MUCH more abstract.
Edit: It wouldn't surprise me if the graphics were made with a mouse and MS Paint.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 8, 2021

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Alterian posted:

I'm trying to find a surrealist / abstract game that came out maybe in the mid to late aughts? Its NOT Yume Nikki, but I remember looking at that game around the same time. This one is even more abstract. Its a top down pixel art game. I think the title screen was black with white pixel or line art on it that might have looked sort of like a pinwheel or windmill? You walk around and interact with a very abstract world. I think the "player" might be just black pixels that vaguely look humanoid. I think you pick up black (or white) abstract looking flowers. At one point you can get into a UFO looking thing and the music changes and you can fly over some water.

Neftelia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc1ct_hb4D4

The author's site moved to http://etgmz14.g1.xrea.com/ at some point in the past few years, and they've apparently made some other stuff, including a sequel I haven't played. Their older work is here in case you can't translate the main page; that only now reminds me, I vaguely remember there being some sort of patch one needed to apply to get the game to work in non-Japanese locales in Windows? Not sure if it's still necessary, so don't quote me on that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

This is it! Thank you. I will check out their other work too.
It's interesting the things I remembered right. I forgot the player changed color.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 9, 2021

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
What's the game where you go to some couple's dinner party and you have the option of exacerbating all their relationship problems

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

El_Elegante posted:

What's the game where you go to some couple's dinner party and you have the option of exacerbating all their relationship problems

Facade?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

That's it, thanks!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Totally forgot this existed. I don't think any game has ever made me laugh harder. It's the best "Terrible Guest Simulator" ever made.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

The Joe Man posted:

Totally forgot this existed. I don't think any game has ever made me laugh harder. It's the best "Terrible Guest Simulator" ever made.

I shall forever remember how much pain I was in from laughing so hard at the "speedrun" where a player immediately called Trip the N word.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cidrick posted:

I shall forever remember how much pain I was in from laughing so hard at the "speedrun" where a player immediately called Trip the N word.

I am prepared to believe that would bring most evenings to a hasty close

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

What was Trip's weird trigger word? Melon? You could just say that at any time and they'd both stare at you in horror before Trip would physically remove you from the flat. Amazing.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I need to watch the long plays of this game it sounds hilarious

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I think if you say "gently caress you" when he answers the door, he just kicks you out.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I've never before, or since, seen a game that is completely unable to process what you've typed 99% of the time, and yet seems to understand your intentions so perfectly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Lifeline is that experience but with voice recognition instead of typing and aliens on a space station instead of some dude's flat.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The first episode of the supergreatfriend LP of Lifeline is one of the funniest things on the internet.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 11, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can stop and play tongue twisters in Lifeline and doing so successfully restores some health of the character you are talking to. Stuff like "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. ... If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?" I watched a streamer (Elajjaz) play it and he ended up downloading a voice recorder app for his phone and using that record the dozen or so phrases she had you say :thumbsup:

Edit: To clarify, he didn't record the character saying the phrases but HIM saying it so he could just heal up without effort.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 11, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Now for some serious retro times

I watched my brother play a game once (which would mean it was likely on an Amiga 500), though it could have been the C64.

It was a side-scrolling beat-em-up with two tough dudes beating on various monsters. I only remember that some of the enemies had the faces of dogs, and that you could hold down a button to charge up a punch, where the character would swings his fist around windmill-style until the punch got ready.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tias posted:

Now for some serious retro times

I watched my brother play a game once (which would mean it was likely on an Amiga 500), though it could have been the C64.

It was a side-scrolling beat-em-up with two tough dudes beating on various monsters. I only remember that some of the enemies had the faces of dogs, and that you could hold down a button to charge up a punch, where the character would swings his fist around windmill-style until the punch got ready.

This sounds a lot like Dynamite Dux, but of course you play as ducks. Most of the enemies are dogs though and you do have a windmill punch.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy poo poo :aaa: Thanks!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

A PC fighting game from around the early to mid 2000s. It was a fangame, all the playable characters were from different anime franchises: I remember the chick from FLCL and that weird cat guy from Azumanga Daioh being there. The game played kinda like Smash Bros., the stages had platforms and hazards and stuff.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Pentaro posted:

A PC fighting game from around the early to mid 2000s. It was a fangame, all the playable characters were from different anime franchises: I remember the chick from FLCL and that weird cat guy from Azumanga Daioh being there. The game played kinda like Smash Bros., the stages had platforms and hazards and stuff.

Mugen?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Nah, it wasn't a Mugen thing. The characters were tiny and the maps were made of multiple platforms, kinda like a Donkey Kong stage.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looking for a flash game, don't know when it was made. 2d retro platformer, you're a gnome who gets kicked out of their village for being a weakling. An imprisoned god offers to help you get back to your village. If you play it straight by helping him, you get back to your village but doom everyone to their deaths. You have to figure out on your own the alternate path back to the village for the good ending. No weapons iirc, just a stamina bar.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for a flash game, don't know when it was made. 2d retro platformer, you're a gnome who gets kicked out of their village for being a weakling. An imprisoned god offers to help you get back to your village. If you play it straight by helping him, you get back to your village but doom everyone to their deaths. You have to figure out on your own the alternate path back to the village for the good ending. No weapons iirc, just a stamina bar.

endeavor

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A series of adventure/hidden object Flash games from mid-aughts to early teens. Very Amanita Design like with no dialog and abstract puzzles. Hand drawn graphics, pen and ink, a dark scratchy style like Edward Gorey.

Name may have started with an N. Nightmare City or Nocturne or something like that.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

al-azad posted:

A series of adventure/hidden object Flash games from mid-aughts to early teens. Very Amanita Design like with no dialog and abstract puzzles. Hand drawn graphics, pen and ink, a dark scratchy style like Edward Gorey.

Name may have started with an N. Nightmare City or Nocturne or something like that.
Daymare Town?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's it thanks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hwurmp posted:

endeavor

nice, thanks

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Old game, 2D sprites. I think it wasa around the SNES or PS1 era? I only remember that the battle screen had your characters on the bottom, left, and right parts of the screen (maybe in the corners) while the enemy was in the middle. The specific enemy I remember was ginormous. And I think this was part of the ending so spoilers for a game I can't remember lol: After the battle, the main character has to run around on some rafters(?) and is destroying big crystals using his life force or something. After he breaks the last one he asks someone who presumably died if he could rest with them.

I remember renting this game when I was a kid ages ago and only playing the ending sequence through a save file that was already on there. Turn based RPG

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lufia?

It started with an intro that put you in some sort of final dungeon to fight a boss with an established party. That opening inspired the entirety of the second game, it was a prequel.

Edit: Probably Lufia II with your explanation on how it positions your party members during battles.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 18, 2021

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Mierenneuker posted:

Lufia?

It started with an intro that put you in some sort of final dungeon to fight a boss with an established party. That opening inspired the entirety of the second game, it was a prequel.

Edit: Probably Lufia II with your explanation on how it positions your party members during battles.

Oh gently caress me, thank you. That's been bugging me for years

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Defender of the Crown

If DotC is Arthurian stuff, which is the one based on Ivanhoe?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BgRdMchne posted:

If DotC is Arthurian stuff, which is the one based on Ivanhoe?
Defender of the Crown is the Ivanhoe game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Defender of the Crown is the Ivanhoe game.

That’s what I thought. And King Arthur’s KORT was the similar Arthurian one.