Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boris getting his nips out

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1361296764393906178?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was at asda the weekend in daytime - a phenomenally poor choice, but i needed some ingredients to cook for the other member of my social bubble. one of the workers was following government guidance and wearing a face shield, a mask technology noted for more or less not working at all. i noticed this because he was about six inches behind me when he started loudly coughing. elbow to elbow in there too.

so, round two is looking pretty likely.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I think he's trying to get tested. Today was the first I heard COVID even being considered: last Wednesday he went to the GP & they said he probably has COPD & they were going to schedule a hospital appointment to have his chest looked at, it was really only the weekend when he got really bad. Until then he struggled a bit in the morning when he woke up with the air being so cold but he could eventually ramp up & get through the day. So uhhh, if he's got COPD & COVID that's a heck of a double whammy.

I don't know if there's anyone who can get a finger oximeter to him, but it would be useful. I think they're £10-20 in Boots or wherever (also Amazon), and if hes reading 92% or less (in 2 separate readings 10 mins apart) then he needs to go the emergency room.

Otherwise, wishing him a swift recovery

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Them's some incredibly purple lips and hands hidden behind his back, is he going the way of McConnell?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

just seen that email from john rawlin calling the union strike antisemitic, contrasted w a tory expressing deep sympathy and offeribg to meet to work out a compromise. the difference between labour and the tories is the tories actually want votes and are happy for labour to be seen trying to discipline the left.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm always nips out no matter what I wear so I'm now coming down on the side of not making fun of tories but only for this specific situation

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It is funny to see a clumsy psyop completely owning labour coz labour is even clumsier

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

It is funny to see a clumsy psyop completely owning labour coz labour is even clumsier

which labour psyop, antisemitism? i am out of the loop and there are always new ones theyre running

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

On the off chance that the letter turns out to be "we think you might be a suspect for a crime, please get in touch and arrange a time to be interviewed", this is an excellent way to get yourself arrested, probably in front of everyone and at the most inconvenient time possible, when you don't need to be.

Dont talk to the police

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TheRat posted:

Dont talk to the police
Relatedly, I'm currently dealing with a student welfare issue that came from the starting point of "the police were loving useless and are also sexist" and it is loving infuriating that the university response boils down to "we asked a copper and she said that the police will be less useless and sexist, also we're running a 'self-blame for victims: a how-to guide' event or something so it's not our responsibility any more (it's totally our responsibility lol)"

jfc I wish I wouldn't get fired if I told these kids what I really think, they need to organise

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

TheRat posted:

Dont talk to the police

And if you absolutely have to, do it with a good solicitor present, not the duty solicitor.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

therattle posted:

I believe that my wife and/or I, as carers to my son, are eligible to be in group 6 for vaccinations (which is soon). Is anyone aware if both of us can be registered as carers (we share it equally) or if we have to nominate one of us? I have asked my GP but I don't altogether trust them. Ta.

Also, this is absolutely adorable

https://twitter.com/Alex_Verbeek/status/1361099449431445504?s=1002

What did your GP say? It's up to them really, but I believe technically it's meant to be one carer per vulnerable child.

My wife and I are both getting it as both our kids are on the vulnerable list (and also my wife is eligible on several other counts of underlying conditions). She got the call this morning and was jabbed this afternoon - they'd have done me at the same time but we couldn't arrange care for the kids, heh.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

PHWOAAAAAR :jackbud:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maugrim posted:

What did your GP say? It's up to them really, but I believe technically it's meant to be one carer per vulnerable child.

My wife and I are both getting it as both our kids are on the vulnerable list (and also my wife is eligible on several other counts of underlying conditions). She got the call this morning and was jabbed this afternoon - they'd have done me at the same time but we couldn't arrange care for the kids, heh.

Thanks. I emailed; haven’t heard back. I thought it might be one only. It does make sense (sort of)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

gh0stpinballa posted:

which labour psyop, antisemitism? i am out of the loop and there are always new ones theyre running

The whole whoops a left wing labour looks popular and subsequent state and media agreed smearing of Corbyn and the left,
replacing him with a government lawyer primarily focused on purging and making it "business friendly"

Oh no now labour's going down in the polls so sad

Meanwhile we've got legit fash stuff happening in the open under the "anti wokist" umbrella for people with "often complex" views

And Keeb is largely aligning himself and labour with that and rubber stamping the abolition of the rule of law

Whether Keeb is in on it or he just likes that stuff by nature

Corbyn scared the British ruling class for a second and theyr not scared anymore but theyr not sitting in their arses anymore either when it comes to this stuff

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Send a written letter to them telling them you have nothing to do with the debt and asking them to prove you do or to kind stop messaging you. Follow this guide https://debtcamel.co.uk/prove-it/

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

therattle posted:

Thanks. I emailed; haven’t heard back. I thought it might be one only. It does make sense (sort of)

Explain to your wife that sorry but males are more at risk from covid so you should be the one to get vaccinated. Think of any other reasons you can to jump in front of her too. Really lay it on thick.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

peanut- posted:

Some poo poo about extremist teachers unions and asking if teachers should be allowed to strike.

mrpwase posted:

Edit: should have refreshed

Ah thanks, a good example of how "trying to get a pay rise" is portrayed as an incredibly negative thing for workers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't really know where else to post this, but in the latest 'bastards justifying their own existence news:

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-scalpers-want-you-to-feel-sorry-for-them-and-yes-theyre-being-serious

quote:

Jordan is the founder of a UK-based “cook group” that helps paying members use bots to snag high-value items from the public, like the next-gen consoles, so they can be resold for extortionate prices. Feeling sorry for them yet? We didn’t think so.

Nevertheless, Jordan believes that somehow, the waves of angry and disappointed customers will sympathize with PS5 scalpers, and explains why we all may have misjudged them.

Jordan told Forbes: “There seems to be A LOT of bad press on this incredibly valuable industry and I do not feel that it is justified, all we are acting as is a middleman for limited quantity items.”
THEY WOULDN'T BE LIMITED QUANTITY IF YOU CUNTS WEREN'T USING BOTS TO BUY THEM ALL UP

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't really know where else to post this, but in the latest 'bastards justifying their own existence news:

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-scalpers-want-you-to-feel-sorry-for-them-and-yes-theyre-being-serious

THEY WOULDN'T BE LIMITED QUANTITY IF YOU CUNTS WEREN'T USING BOTS TO BUY THEM ALL UP

On the one hand gently caress those pricks, on the other they've probably saved me from impulse buying a PS5 a few times. So they're performing a public service really.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tindalos posted:

Ah thanks, a good example of how "trying to get a pay rise" is portrayed as an incredibly negative thing for workers.

Well by definition they're at the perfect market rate right now, so obviously they're being greedy :colbert:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The advert for me on that page was for 800quid ps5s on ebay. lol gently caress.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bobstar posted:

Well by definition they're at the perfect market rate right now
Not if they can get a higher rate by striking :eng101:

Luv2c rabid free marketers twist themselves in knots justifying why collective bargaining doesn't count as market forces (no I am not accusing Bobstar of doing this)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Explain to your wife that sorry but males are more at risk from covid so you should be the one to get vaccinated. Think of any other reasons you can to jump in front of her too. Really lay it on thick.

Excellent advice.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tindalos posted:

Second year of pay freeze for me coming up. We *might* get one in August/September instead of the usual April bump if things pick up by the summer. Sucks balls either way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

forkboy84 posted:

I think he's trying to get tested. Today was the first I heard COVID even being considered: last Wednesday he went to the GP & they said he probably has COPD & they were going to schedule a hospital appointment to have his chest looked at, it was really only the weekend when he got really bad. Until then he struggled a bit in the morning when he woke up with the air being so cold but he could eventually ramp up & get through the day. So uhhh, if he's got COPD & COVID that's a heck of a double whammy.

I am so sorry forkboy, all the best to your dad. You keep safe too.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

sebzilla posted:

Second year of pay freeze for me coming up. We *might* get one in August/September instead of the usual April bump if things pick up by the summer. Sucks balls either way.

Same. Also paired with statement that we're doing much better than expected, which makes it galling.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The advert for me on that page was for 800quid ps5s on ebay. lol gently caress.

I guess it makes sense if you're so deep in the capitalism bubble that you haven't even considered just making everyday items arbitrarily rare and expensive would be a bad thing. To a good capitalist it's a perfectly rational thing to do. What happens when everything is too expensive for the plebs is something for other people to think about, those economist people, they get paid to sort that stuff out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I genuinely can’t remember whether “skills wallets” was a real policy or something from the thick of it.

It was a real policy from the lib dems that was something like a couple hundred quid for you to spend only on some sort of education over your entire life.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Scalpers probably wouldn't be so hated* if they weren't also gloating about how many extra PS5's they were able to buy and how easier it was to do.

https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/games-playstation-playstation-5-scalper-group-gloats-its-getting-easier-every-time-20210119

*= I mean they would still be hated for artificially driving up the prices and lowering the supplies on a thing that many people have been waiting for years to get. But the gloating really aids no-one.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I'm not afraid to ask the big questions, like is Keir Starmer Labour's Iain Duncan Smith? More and more people are saying this.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

It was a real policy from the lib dems that was something like a couple hundred quid for you to spend only on some sort of education over your entire life.

It somehow managed to be even worse than that, it was split across 3 fixed ages so you were forced to spend it at specific points in your life, and it was so low as to be almost worthless.

E: it wasn't as low as I remembered : £10,000 to use over their lifetime on upskilling courses and further education. That’ll be divided into £4,000 at 25 years old, £3,000 at 40, and another £3,000 at 55.

But still, why split it up into chunks at specific points? £10k to spend as and when could be great but this is terrible.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 15, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Raeg posted:

I'm not afraid to ask the big questions, like is Keir Starmer Labour's Iain Duncan Smith? More and more people are saying this.

Oh no.. "The Quiet Man" or "The Keithet Man"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Raeg posted:

IDS had a vision. It was dystopian & cruel & loving nightmarish but I don't think he works as a comparison. IDS is no where near as vapid as Smithers.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Do you think Keith knows he is being used?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus, I just saw an ad on YouTube that was Nigel Farage trying to get me to sign up to his financial advice service. The grift is finally in, now he’s preying directly on the elderly’s wallets.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lungboy posted:

But still, why split it up into chunks at specific points? £10k to spend as and when could be great but this is terrible.
It was just a badly thought out policy. In reality it would be set up so that if you don't do these courses you can't have a job. Also a suspicious number of Lib Dem partners would be setting up training centres and management courses via the scene.

Predictably it's exactly the same as the Tory grifts, just coloured yellow.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

forkboy84 posted:

IDS had a vision. It was dystopian & cruel & loving nightmarish but I don't think he works as a comparison. IDS is no where near as vapid as Smithers.

IDS is a prison warden. Starmer is a parking warden.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Emily Thornberry:

quote:

Dear Friends,
As many of you know, every six weeks or so, I have the opportunity - alongside every other MP - to ask questions to Liz Truss in Parliament on behalf of our constituents and the country about international trade.
There are always a huge variety of topics tabled in advance for discussion, reflecting the number of different businesses affected, and the range of connections between trade and other vital issues like human rights and climate change.
Today, we received the extraordinary news that Liz Truss has gone through the list of topics for next week’s session and ordered the removal of six questions relating to trade with Europe, despite the severe problems that have recently been facing British exporters.
I have never known anything like it, and neither have most of my colleagues in Parliament. With representatives from the other opposition parties, I have written to Liz Truss to register our protests. I will keep you updated on what response we receive.
Best wishes,
Emily

The letter:

source: https://www.facebook.com/EmilyThornberryLabour/posts/4049780038405346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Laughing at Caroline Lucas, Green spokesperson on International Trade as if she wasn't also the Green spokesperson on every other topic too, by default of being their lone MP.