Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

thotsky posted:

I meant the pah-wraith episode all along, am I misremembering the title?

I guess I always believed pretty much everyone on the Enterprise were Starfleet, with the exception of some of the people staffing ten-forward, as well as the children of course. I mean, is that blue barber not Starfleet? I guess I figured the family thing would be mainly Starfleet families. Ultimately it does not really matter, my point is that anyone serving on the flagship of the federation has to be both crazy and crazy competent, willing to take a huge risk in order to better themselves and the species. We never really get to see Keiko do much of that.

oh maybe. i thought the assignment was the one where miles was a clone but you might be right

edit: you are correct

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Tin Man episode of TNG easily one of my favorites of entire series. As alien lifeform it's one of the most fascinating in the show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Quincetessence
Oct 23, 2008

thotsky posted:

A surface level read of the show is fine too when it adds to the joke. I don't mind Keiko being portrayed as a shrew in the context of making fun of O'Brians lot in life, but I don't actually think the show supports that read; the marriage clearly means a lot to him.

It's a shame they usually did not give Rosalind Chao much to work with; she's a great actor. There was an interesting episode of The Movies That Made Me with her on that just came out, where she mentioned she preferred TNG because DS9 was too dark, often literally. I have heard the working conditions on DS9 were really tough, so I wonder if that shaped her impression of the show.

Hi, I mostly lurk this thread but I wanted to drop in and mention a friend's podcast also interviewed Rosalind about her time on Star Trek and it's pretty insightful about how she got the role and what she thought of it. I mean, she doesn't really address the "lol Keiko's the worst" opinions out there because they might not be aware of it, but it's a great look at how her acting career and her Star Trek time coincide!

https://www.alltheasiansonstartrek.com/2020/12/11-rosalind-chao.html

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's a shame that there's no outtake out there of Patrick Stewart replying with a straight face "Yes, I am John-Luck Pickerd."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

knox posted:

Tin Man episode of TNG easily one of my favorites of entire series. As alien lifeform it's one of the most fascinating in the show.

I don't know if an episode about a Tin Man. Are you referring to the episode about the Tin MAAAAN?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/ZoneArchives/status/1361041205455421440

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

I don't think DS9's working conditions were tough, per se, but by all accounts, from cast and crew alike, it was a very different atmosphere from TNG and even Voyager, which were well-known for having a very jovial sense of camaraderie among everyone. DS9, on the other hand, was very workmanlike and there was not a lot of goofing around. Part of that is because DS9 could tend to have fairly compressed shooting days because of the complexity of its sets (meaning it could take a while for camera setups), part of that is just the actors who were involved, part of it is the tone of the scripts themselves. But I believe even Michael Dorn said that on TNG, it felt like he was part of a family, whereas on DS9, the atmosphere was very much "showing up for work."

Honestly, I think this shows. If nothing else, it feels like the TNG actors also had the chemistry where they started to use similar acting styles to one another. It doesn't feel like there's a Shakespearean actor NEXT TO a choreographer NEXT TO the guy from Roots.

There's something to distinguish in that I think DS9 has more interesting characters overall, and a fair number are more well-realized by the specific actor who played them, but they don't mesh that well from an acting styles perspective so it feels a little awkwardly quilted-together at times. There are definitely movie actors next to theatre actors next to TV actors. Maybe if they'd had more time to become friends it would feel a little less disjointed in whatever the style of the show was for its cast.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

STAR TREKS ON MOTORCYCLES!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Trek

Super Star Trek

Star Trek 64

Star Trek: The Wand of Gamelon

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Goblin Craft posted:

Star Trek

Super Star Trek

Star Trek 64

The Clown : You've killed me!
Janeway: Good!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Holographic Janeway straight up drinking in the Clown's demise is awesome to behold

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Goblin Craft posted:

Star Trek

Super Star Trek

Star Trek 64

Clearly this post should have been

Star Trek: A Link To The Past

Star Trek: Ocarina of Time

Star Trek: Majora's Mask

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Star Trek: Advent Children

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Star Fantasy I

Star Fantasy IV

Star Fantasy VI

Star Fantasy X

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Star Trek: Advent Children

That final showdown between Sisko and Dukat got loving WILD, didn’t it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“Shall I give you despair, Benjamin?”

Admit it, you can hear Marc Alaimo saying that in your head as Dukat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Get your anime poo poo out of my Trek

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok, I will just pilot my Akira class starship to the home planet of the Naussicans (of the valley of the wind)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trek was already an anime.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ANBO-JYUTSU IS THE ULTIMATE MARTIAL ART, BUT DON'T USE THE HACHIDAN KIRITSU, ITS ILLEGAL! :japan:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

you're over thirty years too late

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure the cetacean ops thing was even something from the producers or writers, that might have strictly been an invention of the art department. I know Rick Sternbach was big on the idea, and he also worked in a bunch of anime references all over the place; there's Dirty Pair references in a bunch of the filler text shown on computer displays, and Nanmo the robot even got used as a model for not one but two props on the show (The Egg, from Evolution, and the Exocomps):

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

tl;dr anime is real in star trek

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also the USS Yamato is, behind the scenes, an anime reference

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Also the USS Yamato is, behind the scenes, an anime reference
Would have made more sense if it was named after the WW2 Japanese battleship

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Only if you really cared about WW2 battleships

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And the Akira class. TNG era Trek has weeb all over it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Those cowards never dropped any Ranma 1/2 references. :colbert:

Maybe the words Urusei Yatsura appeared in an okudagram somewhere though, close enough.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You’re in luck because Memory Alpha says that was the name of a Starfleet ship shown on an Okudagram in Up the Long Ladder lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Space battleship Yamato is the WW2 Japanese battleship. Just in space

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/SS_Urusei_Yatsura

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
It is days like these that I have no idea what everyone is talking about, but okay about it cause I've never been a fan of anime :unsmith:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why not both?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Axe-man posted:

It is days like these that I have no idea what everyone is talking about, but okay about it cause I've never been a fan of anime :unsmith:

They turned the WWII battleship Yamato into a coolass spaceship. There, you're all caught up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It was refurbished, you might say

Faster than even Voyager, it made it to the Large Magellanic Cloud and back in under a year (148,000 light years)

And it didn't need help from a weirdo in striped pajamas either

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Binary Badger posted:

It was refurbished, you might say

Faster than even Voyager, it made it to the Large Magellanic Cloud and back in under a year (148,000 light years)

And it didn't need help from a weirdo in striped pajamas either

It did need blue space Nazis to gently caress Earth though

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
They better watch out if the blue aliens get their hands on the U.S.S hornet and yorktown.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I introduced my wife to the horror that is Threshold last night

She’s probably never going to forgive me for that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How bad that episode is is way over hyped. It's an average level of bad.

One thing I noticed about the pilot I watched last week, Kim and Torres have some incurable legions that are going to kill them, the Ocampa think they were sent to them so they wouldn't infect their crews, but as soon as they reach the surface is just like a jump cut to them and everyone else back in uniform on Voyager, no mention of it is ever made again.

I can assume this was easy for Voyager to treat with its advanced medical technology, but it just, like, isn't mentioned or even handwaved away!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

Those cowards never dropped any Ranma 1/2 references. :colbert:

When Curzon Dax gets splashed with cold water...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

One thing I noticed about the pilot I watched last week,

I tried to watch the Voyager pilot last night, because Greatest Gen has moved on to Voyager. I got thirty minutes in and it felt like 75 minutes had gone by. Also, they'd used "some kind/sort of" at least five times already. I couldn't do it and turned it off.