Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are a LOT of homes like that all around Nashville because it's relatively cheap to excavate into the side of a rolling hill, sometimes landfill. If you go to older neighborhoods in Hendersonville, Antioch, Lebanon (e: Mt Juliet, I get those two confused), you'll see lots of 50s and 60s ranch houses with a garage door underneath and something like 3/4 basements everywhere. Not so much out by Murfreesboro or Shelbyville, where it's relatively flatter and former swampland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DEJA VU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

What a loving tacky neighborhood.

Seems pretty slippery to me.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
maybe that suv just has those tires that let you move in any direction

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ikkomuitdrenthe/status/1360997258163027976?s=20

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Swimming with skates on must suck. OTOH, he seemed pretty chill about the whole thing.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

insta posted:

That is definitely a *ah gawt ahwl wheel draaahv, I'll be fine" moment

Someone in the Tweet comments really nailed this with, "The guy who taught me how to drive (in a 1-ton Silverado, no less) had this to say about 4x4 and ice traction: 4 times zero is zero."

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1361120209986326529

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

13Pandora13 posted:

Someone in the Tweet comments really nailed this with, "The guy who taught me how to drive (in a 1-ton Silverado, no less) had this to say about 4x4 and ice traction: 4 times zero is zero."

Its also a Pickup truck, which has basically NO weight over the rear wheels, so traction is.....non-existent even in less slippery cases.

https://twitter.com/CWatkinsWDSU/status/1361353720689221635?s=20

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
My falling on ice story is that after spending a weekend teaching ice climbing rescue in the catskills I slipped in the parking lot and dislocated my two front teeth.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CommieGIR posted:

Its also a Pickup truck, which has basically NO weight over the rear wheels, so traction is.....non-existent even in less slippery cases.

https://twitter.com/CWatkinsWDSU/status/1361353720689221635?s=20
Oh, good, they've turned the defrost cycle on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

Just seeing that photo made my stomach just start churning

Turn on your monitor.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I was waiting for the ice to break under him when he bowed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Probably should start with the decision to go 60 loving MPH (almost 100 KPH) in those conditions before worrying about assisted driving and regen brakes.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Clicked for the Elon/Tesla defender tweets and was not disappointed.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBRXfZXj4XE

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

13Pandora13 posted:

Yeah, we get ice storms where I live on a pretty regular basis and 4WD SUVs make up a hugely disproportionate number of the vehicles I see in the ditch during one.

I have a small SUV and it can really lull you into a false sense of security vs. my 2WD sedan, which has the same wheel base. In my sedan, I notice real quick when things get slick. Not necessarily in a dangerous way, just the back end getting a little loose on turns, which if you're paying attention is easy to deal with without it even turning dangerous.

But on the SUV, it's easy to get going too quick because nothing bad is happening until you have an "oh poo poo" moment as you lose traction on all four tires. Still generally recoverable if you're paying attention but if you're already going too fast, it's all too easy to end up rear-ending someone or overcorrecting a skid and being in the ditch before you know what's happening. Doubly so if you've got one of the real big SUVs, just for the sheer amount of energy that you can get going the wrong way in them if you do something dumb.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I always enjoy the UP (Michigan) left turn video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeqG0CqzHq4

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Waiting for the day Cyberpunk finally fixes the glitched vehicles

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The simple way to put it is that 4wd/awd doesn't help you turn or stop. (ok well it kind of does but the important thing is the coefficient of friction between the tire and the ground).

Awhile ago I figured out some rough coefficients of friction based on things like tire rack's snow tire tests and did some math. On an ice rink, a studless snow tire like a bridgestone blizzak or michelin x-ice has a mu in the ballpark of 0.15, and that's about as good as it gets (bridgestone for example claims better grip from the blizzak than their winterforce with studs). A new, decent all-season tire is about half that. This results in really long stopping distances. From 30mph, on ice, a car on good all seasons takes 375 feet to stop. A whole football field, from 30mph. So, uh, don't go 60. A summer tire with low tread on ice? good luck with that.

On snow it's better; up to like 0.5 for a snow tire on that nice, grippy hardpack stuff. Maybe even better with some gravel and sand in the mix. Most people probably don't experience much more than 0.3 to 0.5 g in regular driving, so you can practically drive normal speeds and not really notice. Well, until you have to stop in a hurry. Your traction is still only like 1/3 to 1/2 what it would be on pavement.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7DY7ylh.gifv

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

jamal posted:

The simple way to put it is that 4wd/awd doesn't help you turn or stop. (ok well it kind of does but the important thing is the coefficient of friction between the tire and the ground).

Awhile ago I figured out some rough coefficients of friction based on things like tire rack's snow tire tests and did some math. On an ice rink, a studless snow tire like a bridgestone blizzak or michelin x-ice has a mu in the ballpark of 0.15, and that's about as good as it gets (bridgestone for example claims better grip from the blizzak than their winterforce with studs). A new, decent all-season tire is about half that. This results in really long stopping distances. From 30mph, on ice, a car on good all seasons takes 375 feet to stop. A whole football field, from 30mph. So, uh, don't go 60. A summer tire with low tread on ice? good luck with that.

On snow it's better; up to like 0.5 for a snow tire on that nice, grippy hardpack stuff. Maybe even better with some gravel and sand in the mix. Most people probably don't experience much more than 0.3 to 0.5 g in regular driving, so you can practically drive normal speeds and not really notice. Well, until you have to stop in a hurry. Your traction is still only like 1/3 to 1/2 what it would be on pavement.

It also doesn't help if you are driving a 4WD vehicle that has no weight over the rear wheels. So in reality, you have a 2WD vehicle.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
It doesn't matter how many wheels you drive with if you're naturally stupid to start out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

jamal posted:

A summer tire with low tread on ice? good luck with that.

I got caught in an early-season, unforcasted snowstorm in Vermont, while I still had summer tires on my Mustang, and that was not fun or safe at all, I'll tell you what.

Snow tires are awesome and like a cheat code for winter driving, nothing like zipping past trucks and SUVs that have ditched themselves in a little RWD coupe on your way to work.

Nothing cures stupid though, I was out driving on snow in Seattle in my mom's crappy little AWD SUV when I was a teenager, and even back then I understood that you wanted to use the lightest possible control inputs in slick conditions, the number of 4WD trucks that almost hit me because their idea of driving in the snow was "SMASH PETAL 4WD MAKE GO" and they were just completely out of control with all 4 wheels spinning wildly was just insane.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 15, 2021

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Snow tires and whatever magic they think a tesla can do weren't gonna save that idiot doing 70 on snow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Guze posted:

Snow tires and whatever magic they think a tesla can do weren't gonna save that idiot doing 70 on snow.

Moron was on autopilot. Because people still haven't gotten the message that its dangerous and terrible.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sentient Data posted:

How would a gun range not have a bunch of lead? Do you mean vaporized and in the air/water or something?

Yeah, I just asked. The industrial hygiene person took readings of the air and there were huge numbers on lead. Substandard ventilation.

kntfkr fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 15, 2021

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qok7uaCQMo1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qok7iwW3g11r0uzl6.mp4

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It doesn't matter how many wheels you drive with if you're naturally stupid to start out.

I lived in Meyers, which is near South Lake Tahoe. Echo pass dumps out here, and ho-lee-poo poo, the number of people driving by with chains smacking against bumpers like a machine gun staccato stopped being funny and transformed into amazing. So many tourists who had no idea how to put chains on, but were too cheap to just pay the installers the twenty bucks out there loving up their rentals left and right. Every once and while, you'd hear someone's chains snap and it'd sound like someone had fired off a shotgun full of pennies.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Is this from that stupid billionaire pencil tower flexing in the wind or something?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
No, it’s from an earthquake in Japan.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qok7o8tUqN1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qojjtt0MFT1s1ddrj.mp4

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ah, yes, the snow crab

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

no loving poo poo. tesla people and their big brain analysis on poo poo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Live action Thunderbirds remake looking good

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol at someone driving that fast in a snowstorm on the highway instead of like 15 mph

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol at someone driving that fast in a snowstorm on the highway instead of like 15 mph
speed unsafe with conditions is a thing you can get cited with for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The worst (saddest) OSHA story my dad has is there was I think it was like an industrial laundry for uniforms and such in Long Island and there was an overnight shift wherein two employees (teenage boys) were locked inside and a fire broke out. They burnt to death. He went over the place with a fine tooth comb and cited the owner on every single possible violation. He drew it out so that the civil suit finished before fines were levied - it was the largest fine on record for the area - the owner was totally bankrupted & ruined.

Funniest story was he told some construction dudes to get out of a hole and a foreman came to argue about it and the hole collapsed.