Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fknlo posted:

On top of blackouts in Texas they're now warning about Blackouts across all this:

The deep reach into northern Montana really makes this look like a gigantic Florida with a bunch of cancerous growths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

maffew buildings posted:

Here in liberal hippy Commiefornia my power has gone out approximately never despite my region being subject to high winds and fires. Flipside is I don't know what it's like to experience freedom :(

The power cuts that happened recently stopped about 2 blocks north of me.

:911:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

maffew buildings posted:

Here in liberal hippy Commiefornia my power has gone out approximately never despite my region being subject to high winds and fires. Flipside is I don't know what it's like to experience freedom :(

We already went through this 20ish years ago.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
news:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1361411859396653068?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is the 9/11 commission really the best parallel, given that its report was heavily suppressed?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is the 9/11 commission really the best parallel, given that its report was heavily suppressed?

I mean, yes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Should have styled it as a Benghazi investigation and started chanting LOCK HIM UP.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I'm our security, our security, our security.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Suppressed? The 9/11 Report was literally available in retail bookstores after it was released.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ManMythLegend posted:

Suppressed? The 9/11 Report was literally available in retail bookstores after it was released.

but was there an audiobook?

what do you expect, for americans to read to themselves?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ManMythLegend posted:

Which is the one I'm thinking of where the government just completely ignored it? Suppressed was the wrong word

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which is the one I'm thinking of where the government just completely ignored it? Suppressed was the wrong word

The original WTC bombing?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Midjack posted:

Should have styled it as a Benghazi investigation and started chanting LOCK HIM UP.

the q folk will still spin this back to hilary because this is a never ending cycle

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Rogers Commission Report

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

RFC2324 posted:

but was there an audiobook?

what do you expect, for americans to read to themselves?

Yes https://www.audible.com/pd/The-9-11-Commission-Report-Audiobook/B002V5BUYM

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AfghanHistorian/status/1361369441985036295?s=19

Presented without comment

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

If I remember correctly there was a huge opium epidemic in the USSR so this sadly also tracks to us.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hell yeah let's get this collapse started!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

If I remember correctly there was a huge opium epidemic in the USSR so this sadly also tracks to us.

Part of that was when Russian logistics officers decided to combine the opium supply in Afghanistan with empty cargo planes headed back to the Soviet Union for exciting business opportunities but yeah, the Graveyard of Empires will continue to trash everyone who decides to waste their time there.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm probably projecting, but pouring your all into a war and losing it through no fault of your own, is kinda a poo poo feeling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hell yeah let's get this collapse started!

We need a good Chernobyl scale event to really drop the hammer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

We need a good Chernobyl scale event to really drop the hammer.

How about a plague that the government is unwilling to address?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

That'll do!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think a modern chernobyl would get the same inattention and care that covid does. Radiation is clearly a lie, I don't need idoine. Facts are irrelevant to a good chunk of people.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 16, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

eh people freaked the gently caress out over fukushima my dudes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

eh people freaked the gently caress out over fukushima my dudes

Which is funny considering nobody died from it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm probably projecting, but pouring your all into a war and losing it through no fault of your own, is kinda a poo poo feeling.

Every war has a loser, often more than one. Ending one without ill feelings left over is like threading a needle.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
fukushima is still a ticking bomb. they have a ton of waste they have no way to get rid of and collecting more daily.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ded posted:

fukushima is still a ticking bomb. they have a ton of waste they have no way to get rid of and collecting more daily.

That's not entirely true, they actually pioneered a bunch of decontamination methods for cleaning the wastewater, and the recent dump they did was water that actually had lower levels of isotopes than the ocean they were dumping into. Their cooling system is closed loop circulation now, so they are not accumulating more contaminated water.

quote:

As of early September 2011, the operating rate of the filtering system exceeded the target of 90 percent for the first time. 85,000 tons of water were decontaminated by September 11, with over 100,000 tons of waste water remaining to be treated at the time. The nuclear waste generated by the filters had already filled almost 70 percent of the 800 cubic meters of storage space available at the time. TEPCO had to figure out how to cool the reactors with less than 15 tons of water per day in order to reduce the growth of waste water and nuclear waste to more manageable levels

For the most part Fukushima isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer amount of damage we are doing to the climate right now as Japan marches back to Coal and Natural Gas generation methods.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

McNally posted:

The Rogers Commission Report

gently caress that's an icy take to drop on us McNally

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1361490559932760064

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

Yeah I wish it was only one ton, it’s more like 700,000 tons of hosed up water they can’t get tritium out of and will end up either dumping or evaporating.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Yeah I wish it was only one ton, it’s more like 700,000 tons of hosed up water they can’t get tritium out of and will end up either dumping or evaporating.

https://fukushima.jaea.go.jp/fukushima/result/pdf/pdf1410/4a-1_Ishizawa.pdf

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CommieGIR posted:

That's not entirely true, they actually pioneered a bunch of decontamination methods for cleaning the wastewater, and the recent dump they did was water that actually had lower levels of isotopes than the ocean they were dumping into. Their cooling system is closed loop circulation now, so they are not accumulating more contaminated water.

Well thats good.

quote:

For the most part Fukushima isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the sheer amount of damage we are doing to the climate right now as Japan marches back to Coal and Natural Gas generation methods.

and thats not. esp since its happening other places because of fukushima. like germany closing all of its nuclear power because zoomies are bad!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ded posted:

Well thats good.

and thats not. esp since its happening other places because of fukushima. like germany closing all of its nuclear power because zoomies are bad!

Yup, and in turn they are doubling down on Natural Gas and have failed to kick their lignite coal addiction. They could've easily stopped using Lignite coal if they hadn't shuttered their nuclear. Germany is probably the worst example of "Greenwashing"

As a bonus: Greenpeace actually runs a German based Natural Gas company, leasing it as "Wind Gas".

While we should totally continue to push for strong Nuclear safety and regulation, as well as cleanup, we gotta stop pretending Fukushima, and even Chernobyl are the worst. Worst visible? Yes. Worst overall: No, we're loving our planet so badly that even nuclear disasters like Fukushima and Chernobyl are going to pale in comparison.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I see a bunch of ideas about tritium removal there and promising results from the reverse osmosis stuff several years ago but nothing actually happening with the backlog, contrast this BBC article from October 2020 that indicates the plan is still to start releasing it before they run out of space next year.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Actually the germans decided lignite wasn't dumb enough and are now pelletizing all the pulpwood forests in my corner of the carolinas, drybulk shipping them across the pond, and burning it for power.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Fukishima was a margins edge design with a lot of cost cutting measures and it still survived an earthquake and a tsunami with good marks. Didn't go right, hence why its a disaster, but despite the ~main stream media~ events could equally as easily be used as a study in how to design safety measures and defense in depth to show that modern nuclear engineering works.

almost all the nukes in hawaii had to send a few of their number to support front line RADCON work and everybody from our boat reported back that the worst they saw was like 50k counts of cesium in rainwater, which is pretty much ecologically mundane in the long run just don't drink it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

I see a bunch of ideas about tritium removal there and promising results from the reverse osmosis stuff several years ago but nothing actually happening with the backlog, contrast this BBC article from October 2020 that indicates the plan is still to start releasing it before they run out of space next year.

And thankfully the ocean is vast and dilution will do the rest.

M_Gargantua posted:

Fukishima was a margins edge design with a lot of cost cutting measures and it still survived an earthquake and a tsunami with good marks. Didn't go right, hence why its a disaster, but despite the ~main stream media~ events could equally as easily be used as a study in how to design safety measures and defense in depth to show that modern nuclear engineering works.

almost all the nukes in hawaii had to send a few of their number to support front line RADCON work and everybody from our boat reported back that the worst they saw was like 50k counts of cesium in rainwater, which is pretty much ecologically mundane in the long run just don't drink it.

Yeah, and GE called out TEPCO years prior for the placement of their switchgear and generators, Daichi was never fixed but Daini was, which is why it weathered the tsunami without issue. They are still gonna scrap Daini's undamaged reactors.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

For perspective this works out to about 6 1/2 million ACOGs