Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So is there a spawn suppression mechanic for bases and How wide of an area that is? Me and my Wife are setting up our first base and just got a cultivater So built an farming area around our first perimeter wall, would be Good to know we dont get woogaboogoos spawning inside our walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

TeaJay posted:

One problem we've faced is more and more desync issues. Stone blocks outright disappearing, some things invisible for others and visible for others, disappearing items, teleporting enemies.. the more our world grows, the more these issues increase. It might be simply due to the fact that there is so much stuff lying around in the world and/or terraforming? It would probably be a good idea to occasionally clear the world of random stuff thrown away or allow us to destroy items.
If one player has a bad connection it shits the bed for everyone else because it's heavily p2p, so that might be it.

Valtonen posted:

So is there a spawn suppression mechanic for bases and How wide of an area that is? Me and my Wife are setting up our first base and just got a cultivater So built an farming area around our first perimeter wall, would be Good to know we dont get woogaboogoos spawning inside our walls.

workbench area of effect

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

grate deceiver posted:

Just had my first rainstorm and I have to say, this game has probably the prettiest weather efects I've seen in a while.

It reminds me a lot of the Witcher 3 with how the trees all sway. Just wait until you're in the ocean on a tiny boat during one of those storms :v:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've been playing this with a squad of irl friends and it's real fun. We're looking at taking on the third boss sometime tonight. Can't wait to die a whole lot because if the difficulty curve from the first two bosses is anything to go by this one is gonna be a doozy

edit: My only real complaints so far is you can't favorite servers in-game and can't destroy ALL THESE loving GREYDWARF EYES :rubshands:

We have bases built all over the map and like every other chest you open oh look there's another greydwarf eye

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 15, 2021

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah, not being able to destroy items and not being able to share map info are my two biggest gripes so far.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, so I finally beat the second boss then went exploring to find a swamp. Well I found one, parked on the shore and ended up getting poisoned and died. Then I built another boat and came back naked to get my stuff. Everything was going fine until a giant slime blob thing flew through the air onto my boat. I killed it after it farted on me, then another smaller blob thing leapt out over the water onto my boat and I killed his rear end too. Then I died from the poison and my grave marker fell through the boat, as my boat slowly reversed away from land.

So obvious question; is my entire top tier bronze suit at the bottom of the ocean, or still in the boat? If its at the bottom of the ocean... Do I need to kill the elder boss again for a swamp key, because it was on my body, on the boat :( :( :(

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey goons, so I finally beat the second boss then went exploring to find a swamp. Well I found one, parked on the shore and ended up getting poisoned and died. Then I built another boat and came back naked to get my stuff. Everything was going fine until a giant slime blob thing flew through the air onto my boat. I killed it after it farted on me, then another smaller blob thing leapt out over the water onto my boat and I killed his rear end too. Then I died from the poison and my grave marker fell through the boat, as my boat slowly reversed away from land.

So obvious question; is my entire top tier bronze suit at the bottom of the ocean, or still in the boat? If its at the bottom of the ocean... Do I need to kill the elder boss again for a swamp key, because it was on my body, on the boat :( :( :(

If you can’t get it back then yes, you’ll have to redo boss 2

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've been running around lurking things with a flint knife or bronze Axe, what's the next step up weapon wise? Not yet running around the swaps yet.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dreylad posted:

Our black forest copper mining operation ended up becoming our main stronghold as it turned out to be near a swamp and a decent sized mountain biome.

Normally an outpost for us is the material for portals and enough wood for a workbench and a log wall ring and door. That seems to hold up just fine to any greydwarf problems. A forward base we set up near a distant boss became a major keep because it was close to a bunch of plains biomes. Generally they start small and turn into major things depending on the need and proximity to various biomes.

I like to chuck a bunch of sharp stakes around the perimeter, because greydwarves will just suicide against them all day and you can just ignore them.

Zierk
Jan 10, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Crop Harvesting Pro Tip: The Ategir's spinning secondary attack also functions like a scythe, and will pull up any crop it hits which is usually like 10-12 at a time.

Works like a charm, thanks for the tip!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Son of Rodney posted:

I've been running around lurking things with a flint knife or bronze Axe, what's the next step up weapon wise? Not yet running around the swaps yet.

Bronze is the best tier until you start getting iron from the swamps. However, it’s important to use the weapon that does effective damage against and enemy. A club may do equal or better damage than the bronze axe against skeletons because they’re weak to blunt, for example, even though it’s a tier lower.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, not being able to destroy items and not being able to share map info are my two biggest gripes so far.

Throw items outside of a workbench/campfire radius and they'll disappear after 2-3 days. Throw items into the ocean and they'll always disappear after two days regardless of any nearby workbench/campfires.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I have a designated trash hole outside base where all the dwarf eyes and unneeded trophies go. Out of sight out of mind.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Our server makes periodic trips to the ocean to throw in whatever crap we don't need/tosses it overboard as we sail. We call it making an offer to Njord.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

xzzy posted:

They just made 40 million dollars gross, they are now a Real Studio and once the shock wears off they're probably going to go on a hiring spree.

Just to temper some expectations:
- I believe it is a 5-man dev team.
- We're still in the middle of a pandemic.
- They're in a town of 35k people. Admittedly Skövde has a very large and successful gamedev scene for ... anywhere, really, nevermind a small town in the middle of nowhere, but the hiring pool is as I understand somewhat limited.
- Hiring people typically slows down development for a couple of weeks as you divert resources to getting your new hires up and running.
- Odds are they worked pretty drat hard up to the EA release and should wind down while they digest feedback and instrumentation metrics.
- Relatedly, this week is a semi-holiday for anyone with kids in western Sweden as schools are closed.

I'd guess they're elated by the response to their baby and are going to try to hire a couple of people to realize their vision and all that, but don't expect some sort of immediate flurry of activity as a result of the excellent sales. That's not how development works even outside of global pandemics.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo the (iron tier equipment spoiler) Longboat has 18 inventory slots :eyepop:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The uncertainty of what the gently caress is going on and how do you do things is the best. Played with a couple of friends and we activated rock legend deer god and had a great time flailing around trying to fight him with sticks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, I beat the third boss, honestly wasn't that bad when I came properly prepared. Now to go suffer in some nicer looking terrain.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah I accidentally buzzed the Plains while boatin around looking for a Swamp and almost got murdered and my boat sunk by loving mosquitoes. Is there a better way to deal with these things than shoot them with a bow? Are they less obnoxious with better gear than copper?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

Oh yeah I accidentally buzzed the Plains while boatin around looking for a Swamp and almost got murdered and my boat sunk by loving mosquitoes. Is there a better way to deal with these things than shoot them with a bow? Are they less obnoxious with better gear than copper?

Well, the Plains is probably the endgame biome so far (?) so yeah you're supposed to be having better gear when you enter. I think the natural progression is silver by that point.

And yes Deathquitos will own you hard the first time you encounter them. After that you run away until you have better gear. Usually I try to block their attack and hit them wildly.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

explosivo posted:

With the Atgeir you can anticipate their charge and stab them in the face when they charge in. They have like no health, and always seem to die in one hit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:tipshat:

Thank you both, looks like I'll be avoiding that place like the plague for right now.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
The fourth boss felt a bit janky, landed and seemed to get himself stuck among trees for long stretches and really didn't pose much of a threat as I plonked him with arrows. It got a hairy when a rock golem decided to join the fight towards the end, he caused a lot more grief than the actual boss. And really the biggest problem was finding where the hell the boss drops ended up in a snowstorm afterwards.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Late game mob Deathsquitos are actually really easy to deal with. They fly in a circle around you and then straight towards you, so just hold an arrow knocked and shoot it as they fly right at you, or even easier, just wait until the fly at you and swing your melee weapon wildly. They're also super easy to kill using the Ategir's secondary.

Seriously I can't stress enough how good Ategirs are. They should be the first weapon you make when you hit bronze tier, because they let you easily kill mobs well above your tier and make harvesting crops much, much faster.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been really digging this game but I really hope they put some more work into the controller support. It’s pretty janky right now.

Only other complaint I have is that I wish things highlighted more when you pass over them. Finding rocks can be a bit of a pain and if they lit up a bit it might make things easier to see.

Just a few minor complaints but besides that the game is really legit good and well worth the $20.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Well, I beat the third boss, honestly wasn't that bad when I came properly prepared. Now to go suffer in some nicer looking terrain.

Our group just beat it as well: We came with shitloads of needle arrows and oh woops turns out that does like no damage to him. We then broke into two groups where one group just tried to stay alive while the second group sailed back, made a bunch of iron maces, poison resistance spells, and a portal, and sailed back to us. We then zerg rushed it and beat him to death.

God this game is :black101: as gently caress

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
deathsquitos can be full blocked by an upgraded bronze shield. just let them hit you and stab them with a spear. this game also has the most generous parrying ive ever seen in a game so

generally speaking shields are probably too strong. the only time they become a problem is when you have like five things hitting you at once

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whats the best way to play on a server or which server is the best to rent?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Finally found the runestone that showed us the second boss. The rune was in an area we didn't think could be Forest and the boss was on another big land mass which we didn't know existed north of the starting stone ring.

I just found some Meadows across since water South of the recently discovered Swamp too. Things sure aren't continuous.

Saw the forward base talk. Seems like our first base in the middle of Meadows should never have any metal at it. We built a mining camp but scorched everything around it so we made another far away. Should probably get all the metal from that first camp and sail it down to the new one. No reason to have 2 bronze bars in one area and 3 in another since you can't make anything that way.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

GruntyThrst posted:

If you can’t get it back then yes, you’ll have to redo boss 2

Oof. I guess he wasn't that hard. Its just regrinding a full suit of bronze plus mace/shield +3 and pickaxe +3. It hurts. A lot.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I lucked out finding a regular cave pretty quick in black forest and cleared it for 5 of those things to make smelter. I need 5 more though for the kiln so I can start smelting (well I can burn food I guess in the mean time) but the last 3 caves I've found are all troll caves.

I've killed trolls in the wild with a bow and arrow and abusing small groups of trees, I've never killed a troll in melee though. Knife work best since it's piercing? I have no idea how I'm going to pull that poo poo off in one of those tiny caves. Guess I better learn to dodge.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
spear is good and dodging is pretty easy

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

NuckmasterJ posted:

Oof. I guess he wasn't that hard. Its just regrinding a full suit of bronze plus mace/shield +3 and pickaxe +3. It hurts. A lot.

Your grave marker should be floating where you died, but it may have glitched when it fell through the boat?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Verviticus posted:

deathsquitos can be full blocked by an upgraded bronze shield. just let them hit you and stab them with a spear. this game also has the most generous parrying ive ever seen in a game so

generally speaking shields are probably too strong. the only time they become a problem is when you have like five things hitting you at once

It's definitely imbalanced, especially because tower shields are near pointless because the normal circle shields are so good. Encounter design really heavily favors weapons with some range and knockback. The core ideas of the combat are good, they could just do with tweaking some values. I think the encounters as a whole would be a lot more fun if the enemies were tougher but you had more stamina to use.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

explosivo posted:

Holy poo poo the (iron tier equipment spoiler) Longboat has 18 inventory slots :eyepop:

It also glides through stormy weather like a champ.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KingKapalone posted:

Finally found the runestone that showed us the second boss. The rune was in an area we didn't think could be Forest and the boss was on another big land mass which we didn't know existed north of the starting stone ring.

I just found some Meadows across since water South of the recently discovered Swamp too. Things sure aren't continuous.

Saw the forward base talk. Seems like our first base in the middle of Meadows should never have any metal at it. We built a mining camp but scorched everything around it so we made another far away. Should probably get all the metal from that first camp and sail it down to the new one. No reason to have 2 bronze bars in one area and 3 in another since you can't make anything that way.

Eventually you'll find a spot that's at a nice intersection between many different biomes if not all of them. That's where we built our outpost that eventually became our permanent base of operations.

It's weird when I go back to our original base in the meadow now. Everything is dark and cold

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

GruntyThrst posted:

Your grave marker should be floating where you died, but it may have glitched when it fell through the boat?

I cant get to it, my original antler bone picks are missing and my copper went down with the ship. I have to start again and kill the first boss, then regrind bronze, re-equip and build another boat, then go back and see if anything is there.

Big oof.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Building a raft shouldn't require bronze.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

raverrn posted:

Building a raft shouldn't require bronze.

I don't think it does; Karves do. Rafts need wood, leather scrap, and resin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo they really need to refine the way you build structures. It works but it’s pretty meh.