Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/bozufRQ.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Gabriele_Corno/status/1361346104458153990

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That’s some Fortress of Solitude poo poo, right there

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/1BKEBMv.gifv

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Please someone translate what he's saying.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Dear Prudence posted:

Please someone translate what he's saying.

*smack* *whap* ouchie!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

The interpreter has basically given up and is basically saying

"Well there you go, people off fighting again"

Edit:I can't be too exact , Rwandan sign has similar etymological roots to my country's sign but it's not 1 to 1

I showed this to a Deaf co-worker and they said "yep that's a professional interpreter for you"

Jestery has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Feb 16, 2021

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Jestery posted:

The interpreter has basically given up and is basically saying

"Well there you go, people off fighting again"

Edit:I can't be too exact , Rwandan sign has similar etymological roots to my country's sign but it's not 1 to 1

I showed this to a Deaf co-worker and they said "yep that's a professional interpreter for you"

So RSA is South Africa, but maybe I am misinterpreting what you're saying.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mauser posted:

So RSA is South Africa, but maybe I am misinterpreting what you're saying.

I'm wrong ,I could have sworn I saw Rwanda there

However, colonialism is a bitch and South African sign is also British sign derived

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does the south african parliament have a red team and a white team?

And who are all the other people?

SheepThrowinBoy
Sep 20, 2003

"Joel, what are these films
supposed to teach us?"

"We're born, we die, & there is
a lot of padding in between."

OwlFancier posted:

All we get in america is two white teams

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8TgpDrt.gifv

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Jestery posted:

I'm wrong ,I could have sworn I saw Rwanda there

However, colonialism is a bitch and South African sign is also British sign derived

No worries. I've never actually thought about the differences in sign language before and my first thought was "why don't they all just speak the same sign language" and then immediately realized why that was silly

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/TlAVNsL.mp4

Heh, I should post this in the cute thread.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mauser posted:

No worries. I've never actually thought about the differences in sign language before and my first thought was "why don't they all just speak the same sign language" and then immediately realized why that was silly

The topic of sign language families is super interesting with some really cool edge cases (indigenous Sri Lankan is actually beautiful, and constructed with some interesting grounding philosophy) and it sorta runs parallel to pop history ( America being denied the British system due to having declared independence for example) aswell as being really depressing for how contemporary the "history" of Deaf oppression(?) is. And I haven't even touched on Asian sign language families myself.

But this is not the thread for it :)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Jestery posted:

The topic of sign language families is super interesting with some really cool edge cases (indigenous Sri Lankan is actually beautiful, and constructed with some interesting grounding philosophy) and it sorta runs parallel to pop history ( America being denied the British system due to having declared independence for example) aswell as being really depressing for how contemporary the "history" of Deaf oppression(?) is. And I haven't even touched on Asian sign language families myself.

But this is not the thread for it :)

As someone who speaks a grand total of two whole languages and has an interest in linguistics, I am really curious about the history and differences between the various sign languages as this is something I've never learned about. The only thing I know about the history of sign language is that some French dude developed some version of sign language at some point and you got an American university for the deaf. If this derail gets out of hand we can just bring it back to smooth sharks or snow tires in Texas or whatever

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Mauser posted:

As someone who speaks a grand total of two whole languages and has an interest in linguistics, I am really curious about the history and differences between the various sign languages as this is something I've never learned about. The only thing I know about the history of sign language is that some French dude developed some version of sign language at some point and you got an American university for the deaf. If this derail gets out of hand we can just bring it back to smooth sharks or snow tires in Texas or whatever

The cliffnotes Eurocentric version of it is that around mid-1800s , due to the world starting to get smaller , with trade and travel becoming a thing a bunch of (hearing) people who had ideas about Deaf education came together in Milan and decided

"Yeah , signing is inferior and enfeebles the mind, truly we must try and teach all Deaf to speak and lipread"

"Second International Congress on Education of the Deaf - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_International_Congress_on_Education_of_the_Deaf

(Fun fact: Alexander Graham Bell's sister was Deaf and was forced to learn to talk and lipread by Bell so I my experience the Deaf often hate Graham Bell with a passion)

As someone who works in Deaf education , you are just gunna have trust me in saying that trying to get a Deaf person to speak clearly and to teach lipreading is a demeaning and ineffective learning practice to say the least

However, this meeting really had impacts as around this time later the industrial teaching model was beginning to be put in place, and it cemented the precedent of hearing over Deaf for decades (womp womp) and was still being fought over today as recently as 2017

However the few teachers that supported signing as part of the educational process looked to records of formal signing to begin to build dictionaries and some form of standardisation. Turns out there had been efforts to teach the Deaf prior, and the church had some writings on these due to monks doing monky things like taking in Deaf kids the society had given up on and taking religious vows of silence and such. (You can see some of these signs in stained glass windows with the Saints often using one hand to give the first letter of their name)

So these religious writings, combined with self created gestures and signs became the first "dictionaries" and the basis for what teachings was done , and these propagated through Deaf communities. The signed language of the country often following the dominant signed language taught in Deaf schools.

When the dust settled there were two main (Eurocentric) families, the French (easily distinguished by one handed fingerspelling) and British (with two handed spelling) the British system often piggy baking on countries via trade routes , eg I know Japan sign has significant BSL influence.

There was some earlier splintering with the USA and I'm not exactly sure on the time line, but England refused to send signing teachers over , so the French came in and helped sort out Gaudette University which almost single handedly preserved signing in the states

These are the two main families and how they spread

In terms of mutual understanding between the two families, the general thrust of something often is preserved but the finer details (names or idiomatic verbs) often quickly get lost

This a very general overview of sign language history and I'm not a researcher, just had to write a few papers in my studies on Deaf history.

This is likely not wholy accurate, and is missing a lot,but is close enough to jump off for further research if you so desire

Thank you for listening to my ted talk

Jestery has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Feb 17, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jestery posted:

The cliffnotes Eurocentric version of it is that around mid-1800s , due to the world starting to get smaller , with trade and travel becoming a thing a bunch of (hearing) people who had ideas about Deaf education came together in Milan and decided

"Yeah , signing is inferior and enfeebles the mind, truly we must try and teach all Deaf to speak and lipread"

"Second International Congress on Education of the Deaf - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_International_Congress_on_Education_of_the_Deaf

(Fun fact: Alexander Graham Bell's sister was Deaf and was forced to learn to talk and lipread by Bell so I my experience the Deaf often hate Graham Bell with a passion)

As someone who works in Deaf education , you are just gunna have trust me in saying that trying to get a Deaf person to speak clearly and to teach lipreading is a demeaning and ineffective learning practice to say the least

However, this meeting really had impacts as around this time later the industrial teaching model was beginning to be put in place, and it cemented the precedent of hearing over Deaf for decades (womp womp) and was still being fought over today as recently as 2017

However the few teachers that supported signing as part of the educational process looked to records of formal signing to begin to build dictionaries and some form of standardisation. Turns out there had been efforts to teach the Deaf prior, and the church had some writings on these due to monks doing monky things like taking in Deaf kids the society had given up on and taking religious vows of silence and such. (You can see some of these signs in stained glass windows with the Saints often using one hand to give the first letter of their name)

So these religious writings, combined with self created gestures and signs became the first "dictionaries" and the basis for what teachings was done , and these propagated through Deaf communities. The signed language of the country often following the dominant signed language taught in Deaf schools.

When the dust settled there were two main (Eurocentric) families, the French (easily distinguished by one handed fingerspelling) and British (with two handed spelling) the British system often piggy baking on countries via trade routes , eg I know Japan sign has significant BSL influence.

There was some earlier splintering with the USA and I'm not exactly sure on the time line, but England refused to send signing teachers over , so the French came in and helped sort out Gaudette University which almost single handedly preserved signing in the states

These are the two main families and how they spread

In terms of mutual understanding between the two families, the general thrust of something often is preserved but the finer details (names or idiomatic verbs) often quickly get lost

This a very general overview of sign language history and I'm not a researcher, just had to write a few papers in my studies on Deaf history.

This is likely not wholy accurate, and is missing a lot,but is close enough to jump off for further research if you so desire

Thank you for listening to my ted talk

Thank you for making my day at the Wendys drive through a little more interesting.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The guys in red are from the EFF, economic freedom fighters, a populist party claiming to be on the side of the workers. They are dressed in worker's overalls, as they are a "worker's party". They invaded parliament during the state of the nation address, twice, and started a brawl both times. In this vid, I think the white shirts are security and the bystanders are the other members of parliament.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That makes a bit more sense, I would assume the south african parliament probably cribs a bit from the british system as a lot of places do and we definitely don't have team shirts and brawls as part of the process, unfortunately, so I was a bit lost. Unfortunately I also don't see anybody getting hit with the mace or starting a swordfight so there is still room for improvement.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jestery posted:

eg I know Japan sign has significant BSL influence.

You sure about this? I used to work with a guy whose mother was a Deaf Korean, had met his father in Okinawa, and then moved to the USA and she'd said that American, Japanese, and Korean sign language are basically all the same (I have some exposure to Makaton which is derived from BSL but not a sign language per se)

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Unperson_47 posted:

I really want to know what the emergency exit device is.

Cyanide. So you are dead before your body hits the ground.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sound:
https://i.imgur.com/yhQv2g3.mp4

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

ookiimarukochan posted:

You sure about this? I used to work with a guy whose mother was a Deaf Korean, had met his father in Okinawa, and then moved to the USA and she'd said that American, Japanese, and Korean sign language are basically all the same (I have some exposure to Makaton which is derived from BSL but not a sign language per se)

Not completely sure, I've just had some experience with a Japanese Deaf person and they seemed to use a fair amount of what felt like BSL derived, could have been a of makaton influence there though so :shrug:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Hurra Torpedo does it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUjYAi0WcQ

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://i.imgur.com/Lntg12p.mp4

Sound if you want

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jestery posted:

Not completely sure, I've just had some experience with a Japanese Deaf person and they seemed to use a fair amount of what felt like BSL derived, could have been a of makaton influence there though so :shrug:

Nah Makaton isn't a thing in Japan - in fact before our kid was born the wife and I were looking at some of those "teach your baby sign language" books and the signs in the UK books and Japanese books were completely different.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/OIYTVbD.mp4

TheFatTubist
Feb 2, 2007

This kills the potato.

https://i.imgur.com/CLweHPd.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

those dogs are having the best time

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

king dubal ceramic knoife

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
https://i.imgur.com/gNKJIsI.mp4

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Fursuits are starting to get wierd

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

those dogs are having the best time

What dogs?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Nektu posted:

protofeathersuits

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Nektu posted:

what idiot called them fursuits and not hirsutes

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

drat chili got me again

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/oe2Dv4F.mp4

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Guys, something's wrong with the hammer I bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Is this one of those horrible predatory flatworms that digests things outside of its body?