Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DarkHorse posted:

You can also have people who aren't technically trans but just something like intersex (XXY, XYY, etc) assigned female at birth, identify as female, yet have unusually high testosterone still. There was a big controversy recently because such a woman won lots of competitions; should she be disqualified because she had an (all-"natural") chemical advantage? How is that different from someone having genes for more efficient respiration, or blood cell production, or balance/strength/stamina, or whatever else?

The swimmer Michael Phelps comes to mind with the freakishly long wingspan and broad paddle-feet, among other characteristics. If you were going to custom-build a human for fast swimming he'd be the blueprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm not at all surprised that boomers think gender works like dual citizenship in the Olympics.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

BiggerBoat posted:

Semi unrelated, I went to a Pearl Jam concert in Jacksonville, FL and a group of about 5 very drunk rednecks sitting a few rows in front of us tried to get a "USA" chant going after "Even Flow" or "Jeremy" or whatever the hit was. Surprised it didn't catch, tbh, and they tried twice. It was like watching someone futilely trying to start The Wave at a football game. My friend pointed to them both times, turned to me and asked "what does that even mean?"

I dunno, starting a USA chant in response to a song about a school shooting seems pretty apt to me :v:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

iirc a lot of differences in performance seen in sex-segregated sports could also be attributed to things like height, weight class, etc. If they're concerned about a dainty person competing with a huge person, that's an issue that can be addressed without segregating sports by sex. They never seem to worry about all the short boys with slight builds in high school who might be interested in sports if they weren't trying to keep up with dudes who have legs twice as long.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
They think the difference between the wimpiest boy and the strongest woman of a cohort is greater than than the variation between women of different sizes. They'll bring up examples like the women's world cup soccer team getting beaten by high school boys for example.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Everett False posted:

iirc a lot of differences in performance seen in sex-segregated sports could also be attributed to things like height, weight class, etc. If they're concerned about a dainty person competing with a huge person, that's an issue that can be addressed without segregating sports by sex. They never seem to worry about all the short boys with slight builds in high school who might be interested in sports if they weren't trying to keep up with dudes who have legs twice as long.

That would be the most logical thing, but that doesn't really vibe with how Americans view sports. We as a culture love seeing the gifted beat the poo poo out of normal people to the point where it is no contest. Sports aren't for fitness, personal happiness, or enrichment, they are a show of force and superiority. So something where similarly gifted people are winning or losing on practice and grit isn't going to fly.

It's not enough to have the team win, individuals have to win within the team. Its not enough to be victorious, the same person has to win over and over. "Big fish in a small pond" is the entire basis of what sport stardom is in a lot of places.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CuddleCryptid posted:

That would be the most logical thing, but that doesn't really vibe with how Americans view sports. We as a culture love seeing the gifted beat the poo poo out of normal people to the point where it is no contest. Sports aren't for fitness, personal happiness, or enrichment, they are a show of force and superiority. So something where similarly gifted people are winning or losing on practice and grit isn't going to fly.

It's not enough to have the team win, individuals have to win within the team. Its not enough to be victorious, the same person has to win over and over. "Big fish in a small pond" is the entire basis of what sport stardom is in a lot of places.

I think you're conflating a few things here. I was on the track team in high school and was godawful. I could barely make it around the track without kicking over hurdles in the process (I was/am a pretty stereotypical nerd). But my times slowly got better, people encouraged me, and we all had fun together, or at least as much fun as one can have while running around a track. Plenty of people play pick up games of things like touch football, or frisbee golf, or basketball, or soccer, or tennis, etc.

Now yes, when you're looking at who is the best and competing over the narrow title of champion, then it gets more cutthroat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The swimmer Michael Phelps comes to mind with the freakishly long wingspan and broad paddle-feet, among other characteristics. If you were going to custom-build a human for fast swimming he'd be the blueprint.

He also produces lactic acid at like half the rate of baseline average. He literally can use his muscles longer than most people, even most other athletes. But, since he's a white cishet man, nobody is wanting his time asterisked or for him to take chemical adjustments to bring his all-natural advantage closer to Normal

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Panfilo posted:

I've heard some claim "just have a third category and let them compete there" but I bet as soon as funding gets properly distributed across all three "categories" they'll throw a huge shitfit about how liberals are gutting funding for women's sports. Alternatively they'll likely try to have the public institution wither on the vine by boycotting participation (like how a lot of white families pulled their kids out of public schools when they became racially integrated).

I know TERFS can be pretty bonkers when it comes to this stuff, as it seems to check a lot of their boxes: Involves young women, people transitioning in High School (but they don't want people to be allowed to transition before eighteen so it's like a catch 22 in regards to sports fairness), cis women somehow being poorer as a consequence of inclusion, the sanctity of women only spaces, etc.

A third category would just be some separate but equal poo poo that continues to deny their identities and forces them into being "Other."

"Ok Susan, I know you keep telling us you're a girl, but we're going to separate you from the girls and put you with all the other boys who think they're girls and treat you like a spectacle."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

I think you're conflating a few things here. I was on the track team in high school and was godawful. I could barely make it around the track without kicking over hurdles in the process (I was/am a pretty stereotypical nerd). But my times slowly got better, people encouraged me, and we all had fun together, or at least as much fun as one can have while running around a track. Plenty of people play pick up games of things like touch football, or frisbee golf, or basketball, or soccer, or tennis, etc.

Now yes, when you're looking at who is the best and competing over the narrow title of champion, then it gets more cutthroat.

I guess that's the division between athletics and SPORTS.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Everett False posted:

Panfilo posted:

They think the difference between the wimpiest boy and the strongest woman of a cohort is greater than than the variation between women of different sizes. They'll bring up examples like the women's world cup soccer team getting beaten by high school boys for example.

it could work for some sports but it would need refining, because while the above example is extreme, you can just look up high school only track and field stuff and its pretty drat evident there is a significant difference. It would have to be like 150lb women in a bracket with 130lb men or something. This only really works for individual competitions like track or weightlifting or whatever as well. Most team sports already have either straight up body type segregation like in football, or a breadth of body types represented like hockey or basketball wherein those individuals tend to play to their strengths. The issue is there are just not many women who could contribute on a men's team, and having those few play with men lowers the overall representation of the women's sport and further relegates it as second class.

Fundamentally, one of the problems is most of the currently popular sports were designed by men, for men, and thus reward players that fit size, strength, and speed requirements that are more common amongst males. While i think curling owns and would love to see it popularized with mixed men/women teams, there is not much of a demand for that. Baseball also could be ripe for a mixed system, given that not every player needs to be a dinger machine, and individual skill would be far more useful the further away you get from the pros. But instead we have relegated women to softball so there are just not that many girls that grow up playing baseball, even if a bunch of them could be more consistent hitters than the boys.

of course no one currently complaining about any of this is thinking this way, and is instead entirely motivated by transphobia. i think in general just letting the kid choose where they are more comfortable competing will work 95% of the time, and then we just have to figure out the remainder where something does not work due to the players skill relative to their peers.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Maybe school funding shouldn't be so heavily tied to goddamn sports so people wouldn't care as much. Alternatively, parents could stop trying to live vicariously through their kids and then maybe they wouldn't care as much about them winning or losing and instead just appreciate the social benefits of a team activity.

The way in which fully-grown adults treat HS/college sports just seems so excessive.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Panfilo posted:

I thought maybe Biden passed some trans friendly legislation that kicked off this outrage? It's the only thing I know is different. They were mad that some HS track star didn't get a scholarship years ago I vaguely remember so I was trying to understand why they'd bring it up now.

The fourth executive order Biden signed was titled "Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation." Among other things, it mentioned that kids shouldn't be prohibited from participating in sports due to their gender identity. So that's why you're seeing so much about it all of a sudden.

BiggerBoat posted:

Semi unrelated, I went to a Pearl Jam concert in Jacksonville, FL and a group of about 5 very drunk rednecks sitting a few rows in front of us tried to get a "USA" chant going after "Even Flow" or "Jeremy" or whatever the hit was. Surprised it didn't catch, tbh, and they tried twice. It was like watching someone futilely trying to start The Wave at a football game. My friend pointed to them both times, turned to me and asked "what does that even mean?"

Reminder that one time Rush Limbaugh talked about how he went to the Super Bowl, and when the military jets did a flyover after the national anthem he jumped out of his seat and shook his friend and said "How could anybody ever vote Democrat after that?!"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
yeah, same type of people had trouble giving up the black people they owned years ago too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The fourth executive order Biden signed was titled "Preventing and Combating Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Sexual Orientation." Among other things, it mentioned that kids shouldn't be prohibited from participating in sports due to their gender identity. So that's why you're seeing so much about it all of a sudden.

This is what I was looking for, thank you.

Are you familiar with the lawsuit they bring up with the high school track players? Did they win the lawsuit? How close was the race that the cis girl lost, was it like a difference of 0.00000001 seconds or somthing that they'd try to claim a tiny advantage? Did the trans girl that beat her get some full ride scholarship? What about the plaintiff, did she end up going to her choice college anyway?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I dunno, starting a USA chant in response to a song about a school shooting seems pretty apt to me :v:

God drat

Grimdude posted:

Maybe school funding shouldn't be so heavily tied to goddamn sports so people wouldn't care as much.

I think it's the other way around but maybe not. Meaning that the funding is tied to that because it's the only thing they can get parents to care much about. Not sure what's cause and what's effect here honestly.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I think it's the other way around but maybe not. Meaning that the funding is tied to that because it's the only thing they can get parents to care much about. Not sure what's cause and what's effect here honestly.

Yeah that's what I meant basically.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

He also produces lactic acid at like half the rate of baseline average. He literally can use his muscles longer than most people, even most other athletes. But, since he's a white cishet man, nobody is wanting his time asterisked or for him to take chemical adjustments to bring his all-natural advantage closer to Normal

Wait, what?

Why do we not have a global Michael Phelps stud program???

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

Wait, what?

Why do we not have a global Michael Phelps stud program???

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...a539_story.html

Some fun reading for you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BiggerBoat posted:

Indeed.

I think it just means "good thing good, therefore 'USA'", since the USA is good, which leads to weird poo poo like Trump dry humping a U.S. Flag and litmus tests like mandatory lapel pins for politicians or standing for the anthem. So weird.

You people have loving jet fighter flyovers for Texas highschool football or whatever the gently caress. I've stopped wondering what the gently caress any of it is supposed to mean a long time ago. It's incoherent gibberish which translates to "might makes right, we are mighty, so we are the most righteous, and gently caress you for trying to even get a word in". Virtually the entirety of your popular culture is this. And the hegemony is so great that this is at the same time one your greatest export products. Nearly every human being on the planet not only is exposed to this on the regular, but actively seeks it out to expose themselves to more of it. And yet still this level of domination goes unrecognized or is deemed not enough by the chuds, because they don't get to literally be a boot on not someone else's neck, cus we all know the US does this on the regular too, but no, *everyone else's* neck all the time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Cool.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

You people have loving jet fighter flyovers for Texas highschool football or whatever the gently caress. I've stopped wondering what the gently caress any of it is supposed to mean a long time ago. It's incoherent gibberish which translates to "might makes right, we are mighty, so we are the most righteous, and gently caress you for trying to even get a word in". Virtually the entirety of your popular culture is this. And the hegemony is so great that this is at the same time one your greatest export products. Nearly every human being on the planet not only is exposed to this on the regular, but actively seeks it out to expose themselves to more of it. And yet still this level of domination goes unrecognized or is deemed not enough by the chuds, because they don't get to literally be a boot on not someone else's neck, cus we all know the US does this on the regular too, but no, *everyone else's* neck all the time.

Nice meltdown

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

quote:

I still love my democrat friends and family but, you see it your way and I see it mine. You saw Trump’s arrogance, I saw Trump’s confidence. You saw Trump’s nationalism, I saw Trump’s patriotism. You heard Trump’s unsophisticated words, I heard Trump’s honesty.

You saw Trump’s racism, I saw Trump’s words being misconstrued and twisted by the media daily to fit their narrative. You saw Trump as a Republican, I saw Trump as a Patriot. You saw Trump as a dictator, I saw Trump as a leader. You saw Trump as an Authoritarian, I saw Trump as the only one willing to fight for our freedoms. You saw Trump as childish, I saw Trump as a fighter, unwilling to cave to lies.

You saw Trump as an unpolished politician, I saw Trump as a breath of fresh air. You believe Trump hates immigrants, I know Trump married an immigrant. You saw Trump putting an end to immigration in America, I saw Trump welcoming immigrants to America LEGALLY. You saw Trump’s cages at the border, I saw Obama’s cages at the border.

You saw Trump with a struggling economy, I saw Trump with an amazing economy until Democrats shut it down. You saw violence in the streets and called it “Trump’s America”, I saw violence in the streets of Democrat-run cities who refused Trump’s help and who called the violence “Liberal America.”

You wanted someone more "Presidential", I’m happy we had someone who finally didn’t just talk the talk but actually walked the walk. You and I? We see things very differently.
GOD BLESS AMERICA! ❤️🇺🇸

Bolded part is my favorite!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
turning on Breaking Bad and then flying into a patriotic fury at the mexican characters because of my american pop culture brain

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Boomers love to tell their kids, "you don't know what poor is! I grew up poor!" and then tell you stories about all the insanely dangerous schoolyard games they played while they were being educated at a private catholic school.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lib and let die posted:

Boomers love to tell their kids, "you don't know what poor is! I grew up poor!" and then tell you stories about all the insanely dangerous schoolyard games they played while they were being educated at a private catholic school.

They like to claim the struggles of their parents, either Greatest generation or silents, who survived the Great Depression or fought through WWII (or both! like my grandpa) even though they were given the very best period of American prosperity, lived through the hedonism of the 60s, then handed everything over to republicans in the 70s and 80s and are upset that now things keep getting worse but it can't be their fault!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm already mad about zoomers blaming millennials for stuff. It's not our fault! Boomers have been dominant my whole life! By the time millennials have any power it will be too late to matter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be fair, Mark Zuckerberg is a millennial.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's funny how quickly facebook went from being a hot teen and twenties thing to being boomer wasteland

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

"We were spanked and we turned out fine! Our dad's would even break out the belt when we were in real trouble. You snowflakes were just too coddled and never saw any real discipline! That's what's wrong with America these days!"

- A thrice divorced long-term alcoholic who only ever got to see his kids every other weekend and is mostly known for mass email forwarding photos of sniper kill aftermath and a pickup truck slathered with crooked 'Trump 2020: Make Liberals Cry Again' bumper stickers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross posted from USPOL and think it's relevant.

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1361433979036061704

Jesus Christ

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe in the long run Trump's lasting legacy is going to be splitting the current GOP into the far right authoritarian trump cultists and an actually functional right-leaning party that I'll still probably disagree with on most things but isn't literally evil incarnate.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

jivjov posted:

Maybe in the long run Trump's lasting legacy is going to be splitting the current GOP into the far right authoritarian trump cultists and an actually functional right-leaning party that I'll still probably disagree with on most things but isn't literally evil incarnate.

You mean the Democrats? (Who are Good! I don't want people to think I'm trying to say that the Democrats are bad, they're actually good in that they're not Republicans!)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The functional right leaning party is the Democrats.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

jivjov posted:

an actually functional right-leaning party that [...] isn't literally evil incarnate.

Does not compute.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

tek79 posted:

"We were spanked and we turned out fine! Our dad's would even break out the belt when we were in real trouble. You snowflakes were just too coddled and never saw any real discipline! That's what's wrong with America these days!"

- A thrice divorced long-term alcoholic who only ever got to see his kids every other weekend and is mostly known for mass email forwarding photos of sniper kill aftermath and a pickup truck slathered with crooked 'Trump 2020: Make Liberals Cry Again' bumper stickers.

Lol and it's pretty much always like this too. Then you get the few times where someone actually says "No you didn't turn out fine though" and are met with an all caps response about how much money this person makes and how they love God and are therefore a good and totally healthy person.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Cross posted from USPOL and think it's relevant.

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1361433979036061704

Jesus Christ

Transcribing for the lazy (what I wish someone had done for me):

quote:

Jan. 8, 2021

Adam,

Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God! We were once so proud of your accomplishments! Instead, you go against your Christian principals[sic] and join the "devil's army" (Democrats and the fake news media). How do you call yourself a Christian when you join the "devils army" believing in abortion! We thought you were "smart" enough to see how the left is brainwashing so many "so called good people" including yourself and many other GOP members. You have even fallen for their socialism ideals! So, so, sad!

President Trump is not perfect, but neither are you or any of us for that matter! It is not for us to judge or be judged! But he is a Christian! (If God can forgive and use King David in the Bible, He can do the same with President Trump.) Franklin Graham, Robert Jeffress, to just name a few, of many Pastors, who mentor President Trump, know that he is a believer! Obviously, you did not hear President Trump's "Christmas Message" to the American people (fake news media did not cover his message) where he actually gave the plan of salvation, instructing people how to repent and ask the Savior into their heart to be "Born Again"! (To believe in John 3:16) When was the last time you proclaimed your faith Adam? (Oh, we forgot you now belong to the "devils army.") You won't convince us otherwise with your horrible, rude accusations of President Trump! (To embrace a party that believes in abortion and socialism is the ultimate sin.) We should list even more grievances against you, but decided you are not worth more of our time to list them. We have said enough!

You should be very proud that you have lost the respect of Lou Dobbs, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Greg Kelly etc. and most importantly in our book, Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh and us!

It is now most embarrassing to us that we are related to you. You have embarrassed the Kinzinger family name!

We are not judging you. This letter is our opinion of you!

Oh, by the way, good luck in your fund raising endeavors. We are sure ^(we know) there are many other good GOP and Christian supporters, that feel the same way we do. Also very disappointed with the many other GOP that have sided with the Democrats. (We should demand our money back!)

The following Kinzinger family members have asked that their names be added to this letter:

Greg and Karen Otto
redacted
redacted
redacted
redacted
redacted
redacted

P.S. For your information, many more family members, feel the same as we do. They just didn't have the courage to sign our letter or write their own letter! Not us, we are thoroughly disgusted with you!! And, oh by the way, we are calling for your removal from office! I have received numerous calls concerning you actions and egregious behavior towards our President of the United States, Donald J. Trump!*

CC: Many conservative Republicans

* President Trump has done more for the American people in four years, than you, the Rino's, and Democrates[sic] have done in years!!

I've tried to capture the formatting as best as possible. Bold + Underline is for multiple underlining, single underlines are for regular ones. I've marked typos that I recognized, other typos are likely my own; I proofread and corrected several that I introduced, but I very well may have missed some.

Anyway, :stonk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Democrates? Was Pythagoras not available?

Also this pretty much drives how abortion has been used as a wedge issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lib and let die posted:

You mean the Democrats? (Who are Good! I don't want people to think I'm trying to say that the Democrats are bad, they're actually good in that they're not Republicans!)

1) the Dems are absolutely bad, and yeah 2) the Dems are already right leaning. So I guess what I meant was a GOP thats further right than theDNC, but not full on cartoonishly evil trumpers.

Orange Devil posted:

Does not compute.

Hey, I'd be willing to at least hear out policy arguments that are actually functional "smaller federal govt, more state jurisdictions" etc. I fundamentally disagree with the idea (your rights shouldn't change from state to state, etc) but it's at least a coherent argument to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

jivjov posted:

Hey, I'd be willing to at least hear out policy arguments that are actually functional "smaller federal govt, more state jurisdictions" etc. I fundamentally disagree with the idea (your rights shouldn't change from state to state, etc) but it's at least a coherent argument to make

That's not what "right-wing politics" is though.