Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Most people weren't that disappointed because they didn't set their expectations that high. Like, we all knew it was going to be ~30 minute episodes that were framed like an old sitcom with little teasers at the "real plot." It's exactly the show they advertised if not slightly better.

And yeah honestly when people bitch about not being able to watch a new complete series in one sitting they just sound like babies to me. "Oh but what if it's kind of a slow episode and I have to wait a week?" Jesus christ who cares I literally don't leave my house most of the week and I still find something else to do/watch until then. Like whatever I get that it's preference but I can't understand wanting to get all my enjoyment of a show out of the way in like one weekend instead of getting to look forward to it for months. Game of Thrones Sunday was awesome until the show stopped being any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait isn’t it just the comic? Like this whole concept was a mini series like two years ago

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
My partner and I were just saying it was cool they decided to slow burn the overall story, and the 30 min runtime means the sitcom gimmick doesn't wear out its welcome when released weekly. If I binged it I'd probably have stopped watching after episode three. But it's a loving capes show, so who cares. In conclusion:

Grimdude posted:

Most people weren't that disappointed because they didn't set their expectations that high.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t like the idea of don’t set your expectations high. That’s such a lazy way of looking at things

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think people should keep their expectations at a disciplined, reasonable level.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I always set my expectations high so I can get mad online if they are not met

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao if you have any expectations for anything, ever. Sail through life with a mind smooth as a cueball, let everything--literally everything--surprise you, and you'll find unexpected beauty and peace in the world

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I stopped watching Marvel movies at, I think, the second Ant-Man movie, and I was a bit frustrating that they didn't stick a line in about who "the departed" were. (I was frustrated because they explicitly said "You don't have to watch every single Marvel movie for this to make sense.") I had to do a lot of Googling. So everybody who got snapped (which I learned by fandom osmosis) returned three years later when the unsnap happened?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

goblin week posted:

You could set your expectations low so you can be really smug later.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait isn’t it just the comic? Like this whole concept was a mini series like two years ago

It's pulling from about three different comic stories. The surreal sitcom tone came from a Vision comic that didn't even have Wanda in it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I stopped watching Marvel movies at, I think, the second Ant-Man movie, and I was a bit frustrating that they didn't stick a line in about who "the departed" were. (I was frustrated because they explicitly said "You don't have to watch every single Marvel movie for this to make sense.") I had to do a lot of Googling. So everybody who got snapped (which I learned by fandom osmosis) returned three years later when the unsnap happened?

Second Ant Man was before the snap. Second Spider Man was after the snap and was about everyone who came back

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Five years, but yes. No word on interesting edge cases like 'so what happens with a plane that crashed because the pilot disintegrated'.

Personally, I stopped watching the MCU after Infinity War, when they killed off everyone I was interested in and that made me realize I didn't care about any of the ones they left alive. I knew they'd short-change everyone who did die like that (which they did) even when they did come back, so I just decided I was done.

Wandavision was tempting because I'm also a comedy nerd, but it seems like they aren't, so it's probably better I'm not watching it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grimdude posted:

Most people weren't that disappointed because they didn't set their expectations that high. Like, we all knew it was going to be ~30 minute episodes that were framed like an old sitcom with little teasers at the "real plot." It's exactly the show they advertised if not slightly better.

And yeah honestly when people bitch about not being able to watch a new complete series in one sitting they just sound like babies to me. "Oh but what if it's kind of a slow episode and I have to wait a week?" Jesus christ who cares I literally don't leave my house most of the week and I still find something else to do/watch until then. Like whatever I get that it's preference but I can't understand wanting to get all my enjoyment of a show out of the way in like one weekend instead of getting to look forward to it for months. Game of Thrones Sunday was awesome until the show stopped being any good.

Seems like you can make either side into the 'bad guys/losers' depending on how you frame it. You think they're babies because they can't wait a week, and you think 'episode day' was cool and something to look forward to. They could just as easily frame you as being a baby so invested in transient empty tv schlock that you demand it sliced up into weekly chunks just so you can get excited like a child waiting for his new cartoon to air. It's like both sides think the other are too invested while also pointing out how invested they are in their method of watching endless corporate tv.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think the main point is if it doesn’t effect you no one should give a poo poo about how other people view a TV show.

It’s weird. Even in you cloak it in a vaguely anti coporation Rhetoric

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I watch odd-numbered episodes daily, even numbered weekly, season premieres on full moons, and season finales exactly 7 years after the episode aired.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Five years, but yes. No word on interesting edge cases like 'so what happens with a plane that crashed because the pilot disintegrated'.

I'm pretty sure if you died for snap-adjacent reasons (think of all the people who would have died from car accidents alone, nevermind planes, or spaceships) but not from the snap itself, you didn't come back. They don't really dwell on it, because holy poo poo, it's depressing when you think about it at all, but we do see Captain America at a what is, essentially a, 'don't kill yourself because things are so horrible' meeting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm sure the magic wish glove accounted for edge cases like that, and made sure it was murdering exactly half the population as intended.

It's pretty dumb to assume the magic wish glove was just arbitrarily selecting people with no thought put into it.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

If i had the magic wish glove i would make some of you better posters.

Some of us are hopeless though.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Yes I'm talking about you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm pretty sure if you died for snap-adjacent reasons (think of all the people who would have died from car accidents alone, nevermind planes, or spaceships) but not from the snap itself, you didn't come back. They don't really dwell on it, because holy poo poo, it's depressing when you think about it at all, but we do see Captain America at a what is, essentially a, 'don't kill yourself because things are so horrible' meeting.
In the Bible Belt, I frequently saw "In case of the Rapture, this car will be unoccupied" bumper stickers. My favorite response: "In case of the Rapture, can I have your stuff?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really, there was a Vision series where he built a synthezoid wife and two kids that was supposed to an ongoing but got cut to 12 issues, Wanda is barely in it. Back in the 70s Wand and Vision were married and had two kids (Tommy and Billy) and it was eventually determined that they were magical constructs, they disappeared and Wanda had a psychotic break, then somehow, years later they became real boys (late 2000s in our time, no idea how much later in the comics), with different biological parents, but are also Wand's kids still.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

sassassin posted:

I'm sure the magic wish glove accounted for edge cases like that, and made sure it was murdering exactly half the population as intended.

It's pretty dumb to assume the magic wish glove was just arbitrarily selecting people with no thought put into it.

I don't think the infinity stones have a mind of their own. Thanos' whole thing is being so up his own rear end about Making The Hard Choices that that he couldn't conceive of a way to save the universe without any kind of suffering. So yeah there were probably a few snap related fatalities even if the victims weren't snapped themselves.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Regarde Aduck posted:

They could just as easily frame you as being a baby so invested in transient empty tv schlock that you demand it sliced up into weekly chunks just so you can get excited like a child waiting for his new cartoon to air.

I mean yeah they COULD but like goddamn what a stretch. Did I even suggest that I "demanded my shows be spread out", or that I've ever even complained about a show being available all at once? (I've binged plenty of shows as well) What you're missing is that group A (likes shows spread out) isn't out there constantly bitching about how "too much of this show is available and therefore I HAVE to watch it all at once" whereas group B (likes shows all at once) is frequently complaining about how "not enough of this show is available and therefore I HAVE to wait an entire week."

Not really the same at all. Especially since group A will just spread out their viewing and shut up if a show is available all at once.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Trevor Hale posted:

Took me a few minutes to realize this guy didn’t mean “this is a good quote because it shows that kids today are comfortable pushing back on their families’ racist speech”

https://twitter.com/conor64/status/1361125261480103936?s=21

What's that blue circle in the screenshot?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

goblin week posted:

Let me let you in on a secret: you can get mad online no matter what! You can have your expectations met and then go online and get mad anyway!! No one will stop you! It's great!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

toanoradian posted:

What's that blue circle in the screenshot?

Android cursor

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

grittyreboot posted:

I don't think the infinity stones have a mind of their own. Thanos' whole thing is being so up his own rear end about Making The Hard Choices that that he couldn't conceive of a way to save the universe without any kind of suffering. So yeah there were probably a few snap related fatalities even if the victims weren't snapped themselves.

Seriously, dumb motherfucker couldn't just wish for dynamically reduced birth rates and ensure sustainability forever rather than for the ~2 generations it would take for the remaining population to redouble.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Skwirl posted:

Not really, there was a Vision series where he built a synthezoid wife and two kids that was supposed to an ongoing but got cut to 12 issues, Wanda is barely in it. Back in the 70s Wand and Vision were married and had two kids (Tommy and Billy) and it was eventually determined that they were magical constructs, they disappeared and Wanda had a psychotic break, then somehow, years later they became real boys (late 2000s in our time, no idea how much later in the comics), with different biological parents, but are also Wand's kids still.

Scarlet Witch's character history is so deeply rooted in loving up Scarlet Witch in every imaginable way, and even coming up with some new ones.

I feel like any predictions for Wandavision as a show need to somehow take this into account.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Skwirl posted:

There is an issue that the only way to have a serious career in journalism now-a-days is to do unpaid internships in places like New York or Washington DC and the only people who can afford that are the children of the wealthy elite. But that wasn't Greenwald's point, so gently caress him.

Roxane Gay, who writes for the New York Times, and who is a child of Haitian immigrants, and who attended Phillips Exeter on a scholarship, is going IN on all her colleagues who are “blah, blah, students at expensive private schools can’t possibly understand racism” and it’s beautiful to watch.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

https://twitter.com/_blutgang/status/1361136874908098692?s=20

I can't imagine being so invested in owning the libs.

For those not familiar with America's storied pancake history, the Aunt Jemima brand has had several updates throughout the years for the art of the woman on their products. Last year they decided to just get away from the connections to their old racist logo and name entirely by rebranding to the "Pearl Milling Company" which was the original name of the mill like 130 years ago. That top bottle our brave hard soul has is a transitional one that removed the artwork while they get the major rebranding work done, supposed to have the new branding around June.

For reference if you're thinking "How bad could it have been? The current lady looks nice." Here is one of the very early versions:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wait so Pearl Milling Company is the original name and the heritage not hate crowd are mad because they're sticking with their heritage? Really makes it seem like maybe the heritage part isn't what they care about.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Inceltown posted:

Wait so Pearl Milling Company is the original name and the heritage not hate crowd are mad because they're sticking with their heritage? Really makes it seem like maybe the heritage part isn't what they care about.

:eng101: Yep! A whole lot of dumb takes flying around about it.

Here's an ad from the Nov 9th 1889 The Catholic Tribune in St. Joseph where the original mill was.

Rye and rice!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Avoid those pesky doctor's bills brought on by normal old-fashioned pancakes!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Data Graham posted:

Avoid those pesky doctor's bills brought on by normal old-fashioned pancakes!

Doctor, I've only had pancakes and I can't stop throwing up!

What kinda syrup you using?

Ipecac!

Should be fine

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Breetai posted:

Seriously, dumb motherfucker couldn't just wish for dynamically reduced birth rates and ensure sustainability forever rather than for the ~2 generations it would take for the remaining population to redouble.

I mean, yeah, that's exactly it. Others have said it better than me, but the whole snap was really just a big 'gently caress YOU' to his people on Titan for not agreeing to his stupid unworkable plan in the first place. He was trying to stick it to a race of people who were long dead and were incapable of caring about whether he was right or wrong. Then, what ultimately breaks him is that people aren't grateful to him for what he did.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the Bible Belt, I frequently saw "In case of the Rapture, this car will be unoccupied" bumper stickers. My favorite response: "In case of the Rapture, can I have your stuff?"

Once, while vacationing in America, I saw a lady in a shirt that said 'Jesus died for MY SPACE in Heaven!' and I felt like I'd been punched in the face.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

There is an issue that the only way to have a serious career in journalism now-a-days is to do unpaid internships in places like New York or Washington DC and the only people who can afford that are the children of the wealthy elite. But that wasn't Greenwald's point, so gently caress him.

If you're willing to get paid peanuts and an occasional free T-shirt, community journalism is still out there.

Community journalism's pay is beyond terrible, but serious journalism exists worldwide. Hell, at a lot of hometown papers, you don't even need a journalism degree. It's just that not many people are eager (quite understandably) to go to BFE, starve and cover ribbon cuttings with equal enthusiasm as the one actual juicy story you get a year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Syrup bottles dock, right next to my glock, still these snowflakes mock, replies will soon be locked.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

They do, actually. Well, sort of a sentience. The space gem (tesseract) booted Red Skull onto Vormir and straight up made him a wraith to protect the single hardest to find stone because it didn't like him. Even space rocks know nazis are bad.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So, within an hour and a half that video has been edited to replace everything after 15s with solid black/no audio. The video for me ends with "I love you", "I love you too", then just black and no audio.

E: when I watched it, it was blanked from 15s-28s:

https://twitter.com/jahan_tyson/status/1361202437038632963

goatsestretchgoals has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What used to be there? Also what is going on, I thought they hated each other? I’m super confused.

E: oh, it’s just that old.

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Feb 16, 2021