Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cael posted:

*leans back in chair and tents fingers* so you admit that it IS a hive mind, just not the one we think it is. Interesting. Very interesting. No I will not accept other interpretations of your post.

Fellow Snydernauts, beware! This poster knows too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm willing to give you all some leeway on Snydertalk because I know it's a heated topic, but knock it off with ad hominem arguments and potshots at other subforums.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cael posted:

*leans back in chair and tents fingers* so you admit that it IS a hive mind, just not the one we think it is. Interesting. Very interesting. No I will not accept other interpretations of your post.

:hmmyes:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

He wasn't wrong because now you're calling his current films dark, and they aren't!

And watchmen did a good enough job on it's own, Snyder just elevated the movie because people expect more from modern superheroes than a couple punches. Not enough rape by the standards of your Snyder Strawman I know.

what's interesting about Rorscharch in the movie and the Rorschach in the comic books, is that the movie (iirc) elides his batshit conservatism.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Cine D hivemind compels you to discuss the artistry behind Bayformers.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Shageletic posted:

what's interesting about Rorscharch in the movie and the Rorschach in the comic books, is that the movie (iirc) elides his batshit conservatism.

It may not be in the theatrical cut but in the Director's Cut he does at one point say that the lesbian superhero was killed for her "unnatural" lifestyle, or other words to that effect. There's some grafitti in the background describing that magazine he loves as right-wing too, and they're not exactly portrayed as a shining beacon of journalistic integrity when they do appear in their newsroom.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I've seen a lot of bad movies, but until I saw Transformers: Age of Extinction I had never seen a movie that gave the the impression that it actively hated me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I've seen a lot of bad movies, but until I saw Transformers: Age of Extinction I had never seen a movie that gave the the impression that it actively hated me.

It was so bad. I was so mad I waited so long for the dinosaurs

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I don’t remember if the movie has this or not but I thought it was interesting that that one post from earlier talks about how Rorschach is presented as cool in the comics because in the first issue we get a lot of his diary which is literally completely insane and rants about people being vermin and whores and he’s clearly shown as unhinged, and that’s without getting into the finger-breaking which is clearly intended as “hey in the real world this is actually very bad!”

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Remember how Age of Extinction had a character who carried around a card that explained an obscure Texas law that let him date a high schooler

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Remember how Age of Extinction had a character who carried around a card that explained an obscure Texas law that let him date a high schooler

I admit, I found that extremely funny. It's so loving sleazy lol some matt McConaughey dazed n confused vibes

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I watched them up to 3? When I really should have stopped at 1, but they said it had soundwave in it. :eng99:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Not really. He's still an obvious bigot that regularly calls women whores and thinks purely in black and white terms. If anything, I think the difference is that while Alan Moore regrets writing him so sympathetically, Snyder doesn't mind that people sympathize with the mentally ill homeless man.

I think a lot of people like to point out that Zack Snyder didn't "get" Watchmen, but I'm not so sure what it is he's not "getting" with the comic and his adaptation. It's not that you're supposed to hate Rorshach or that violence is bad. It's that the morality of superheroes can not survive a capitalist system. It will only lead to "heroes" like Veidt taking their heroism to the most extreme conclusion: That it is good and just to slaughter millions to save the rest. The key to Rorshach, I think, is that he chooses to die rather than keep this a secret.

He even sheds his "face" as Rorshach and dies as Walter Kovacs. For all of his faults, all of his bigotries, and all of his actions: Rorshach is still the only one who chooses to not be complicit.

I love Watchmen, as the comic and as the film adaptation. I think a lot of people get caught up on Rorshach, all of his unpleasant qualities, and act like the whole comic is about making GBS threads on him. I don't think I've ever seen people concerned about "Wait, people think Ozymandias was right to murder millions?"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Blockhouse posted:

This is genuinely the only thing I remember about that film. I'm not even sure if I've ever seen it all the way through.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t remember if the movie has this or not but I thought it was interesting that that one post from earlier talks about how Rorschach is presented as cool in the comics because in the first issue we get a lot of his diary which is literally completely insane and rants about people being vermin and whores and he’s clearly shown as unhinged, and that’s without getting into the finger-breaking which is clearly intended as “hey in the real world this is actually very bad!”

He does all those things in the movie too.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I would rather watch Age of Extinction 10 times over end to end than see a minute of Revenge of the Fallen when Skids and Mudflap are on screen. Also come on, Stanley Tucci slamming a blackboard as he literally yells "ALGORITHSM! MATH!"? Perfection.

Release the Tucci cut of Age of Extinction where it's just his scenes. THAT's a perfect movie.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

The very fact that the whole movie grinds to a complete loving halt for like two, two and a half minutes so the sleazy-looking boyfriend character can explain to Mark Wahlberg why it's totes okay for him to bang Wahlberg's teenaged daughter is - bar none - the single most baffling cinematic decision of the 2010s. I do not understand how anybody from script to final cut thought this scene was a good idea and allowed it to make it to the release.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

He does all those things in the movie too.

Right, so in that case, it comes down to aesthetics. The comic doesn’t have stylised action, really, whereas the movie has all the slow-motion ultra-stylised “gently caress yeah look at this cool fighting” thing going on, which is where the issue lies.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

It started with Transformers 2 and continued all the way through. Prime is a monster.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

Right, so in that case, it comes down to aesthetics. The comic doesn’t have stylised action, really, whereas the movie has all the slow-motion ultra-stylised “gently caress yeah look at this cool fighting” thing going on, which is where the issue lies.

I’m not sure why people think it’s cool. The violence is horrific and brutal and visceral and doesn’t shy away.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean you can pretend that people didn’t think Rorschach wasn’t cool in the comic before the movie but this is completely divorced from reality. Alan Moore has even acknowledged the unintended fans the character has:

quote:

I wanted to kind of make this like, ‘Yeah, this is what Batman would be in the real world.’ But I had forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans that smelling, not having a girlfriend—these are actually kind of heroic. So actually, sort of, Rorschach became the most popular character in Watchmen. I meant him to be a bad example, but I have people come up to me in the street saying, ‘I am Rorschach! That is my story!’ And I’ll be thinking, ‘Yeah, great, can you just keep away from me and never come anywhere near me again for as long as I live?’”

https://www.stevensurman.com/rorschach-from-alan-moores-watchmen-does-he-set-a-bad-example/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghosthotel posted:

I mean you can pretend that people didn’t think Rorschach wasn’t cool in the comic before the movie but this is completely divorced from reality. Alan more has even acknowledged the unintended fans the character has:

That wasn’t what I was saying at all, though. Obviously there are people who think that way. But they’re wrong.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Want to make the Bayformer films MORE insane? There's a secret crossover:

IMDB posted:

Travis Van Winkle plays a character named Trent, the same name as his character Trent DeMarco from Transformers (2007) which was directed by Michael Bay. According to Bay himself, this is the same character, revealing that both this movie and that franchise occur in the same universe.

That other film?

The 2009 reboot/remake of "Friday the 13th".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Alan Moore saying “turns out some people think smelling and not having a girlfriend is good, actually” is not the same as him saying “drat, I really hosed up with this one”

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

That wasn’t what I was saying at all, though. Obviously there are people who think that way. But they’re wrong.

Right but this goes back to Snyder supposedly not getting the comic because he made Rorschach “cool”. It’s an issue with the source material that has been around since it finished it’s run.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Want to make the Bayformer films MORE insane? There's a secret crossover:

That other film?

The 2009 reboot/remake of "Friday the 13th".

drat, Jason might be the only hope we have of stopping Prime

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

I wouldn't say the comic has particularly realistic violence, partly just by the nature of being a comic, since splash panels focusing on a particular blow will give you the same sort of emphasis as a slow-mo shot will - and you can see they use a flash of red colour in that page when Rorschach's fellow prisoner pulls a blade on him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

drat, Jason might be the only hope we have of stopping Prime

That version of Prime would probably team up with Jason.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Escobarbarian posted:

his death is framed as more of a tragedy in the movie as well, both in ways that are pretty clear (the choice in music, Nite Owl) and ways that could be debated (leaving behind an actual rorschach, that is, an image with no inherent meaning, only the interpretation you give it yourself. Is it just there to make the scene cooler, or is it meant to make you question whether his death was good or bad? SHRUG)

edit: Nite Owl is not Owlman

double edit: but then again the dramatic music and Nite Owl screaming his lungs out could also just be framed as making it more cinematic. Anal ysis

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 16, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Karloff posted:

I got to be honest, I feel this thread is far nicer to people who like Snyder films than the Snyderdome is to people who don't.

That's because one of the mods really likes one of Snyder's DC movies a lot. He's a Pro Snyder partisan hack.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would be 100% in favor of a blanket ban on Snyder talk in this thread.

In case you missed it there's a movie coming out March 18th that needs discussion. But after that, come April, Snyder Talk will be verboten in this thread. The reason is that one of the mods hates Snyder Talk and thinks that it makes everything worse. He's an Anti Snyder partisan hack.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mal-3 posted:

The very fact that the whole movie grinds to a complete loving halt for like two, two and a half minutes so the sleazy-looking boyfriend character can explain to Mark Wahlberg why it's totes okay for him to bang Wahlberg's teenaged daughter is - bar none - the single most baffling cinematic decision of the 2010s. I do not understand how anybody from script to final cut thought this scene was a good idea and allowed it to make it to the release.

The question I have is why not just make the guy a slightly older guy that attends her school instead of a grown rear end man trying to bang a teenager. Or better yet just drop they sub plot entirely.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m guessing almost anyone who isn’t a fan has been driven away over the years by ad hominem/strawman nonsense and the sight of people twisting themselves into knots rather than convince themselves these movies are flawless :shrug:

I'm pretty sure every one has some issue with BvS, even the cined approved black and white cut had controversial edits within the dome. They just don't entertain bad faith takes based on media outside the film. Snyder is called a fascist emboldening objectivist dude bro, so what are his fans? Clutching your pearls at people asking for clarification to inane takes doesn't change that.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the pedophile license scene is easily in my top 3 How Did This Scene Get Made scenes, alongside the flute scene in Alien Covenant and Jason Vorhees shaving a dude's moustache

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

That's because one of the mods really likes one of Snyder's DC movies a lot. He's a Pro Snyder partisan hack.

In case you missed it there's a movie coming out March 18th that needs discussion. But after that, come April, Snyder Talk will be verboten in this thread. The reason is that one of the mods hates Snyder Talk and thinks that it makes everything worse. He's an Anti Snyder partisan hack.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JT Smiley posted:

The question I have is why not just make the guy a slightly older guy that attends her school instead of a grown rear end man trying to bang a teenager. Or better yet just drop they sub plot entirely.

Because it hates you and wants you to suffer.

Transformer: Age of Extinction graphically kills off TJ Miller and even that isn't able to redeem it.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

the pedophile license scene is easily in my top 3 How Did This Scene Get Made scenes, alongside the flute scene in Alien Covenant and Jason Vorhees shaving a dude's moustache

Jason Goes to Hell made absolutely no sense to me until I mentally re-framed it as a TV movie that exists diegetically within the Friday the 13th universe, and then it became awesome.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Blade is a good movie. I hope the MCU Blade is rated R or it just won't compare.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

You’ll get plasma hands and you’ll like it!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

A talking coyote posted:

I watched them up to 3? When I really should have stopped at 1, but they said it had soundwave in it. :eng99:

I think I watched them all, or half of them. Somewhow. But I swear I can't remember much of the plot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A talking coyote posted:

You’ll get plasma hands and you’ll like it!

I would like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

I know, right? You would think that somebody somewhere would see this in the script or the storyboard or the dailies and go "wait what?" and it'd get pulled but no...

Though if we take Phylodox's thesis in account, this being a withering statement of contempt for... everybody, I guess... I don't know if it makes sense but at least it holds up a little.