Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Jarmak posted:

I've been giving the graphite it's own belt and having the refineries direct feed each other hydrogen, only the first in the line needs an input from the circulating belt and the rest output onto it.

How does the game handle prioritizing feeding the other refineries versus outputting to the belt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kin posted:

The gas giant my home planet is orbiting has both hydrogen and deuterium and I've set up orbital extractors around the entire equator of it now.

However, the interplanetary logistics are only ever collecting hydrogen from it even though I have both selected as remote demand and I've got 10 ships set on it. I go up to the extractors and they have both hydrogen and deuterium in them too. Is there something I'm missing here?

IcePhoenix posted:

they'll only go to pick up when they can get a full load unless you change that setting in your towers, and the individual towers on the giant probably don't have enough in them to fill a ship (they won't go to multiple towers to fill, they have to get it all from one)

or at least, that's my guess on what's happening

too lazy to type it out again

Demon_Corsair posted:

How does the game handle prioritizing feeding the other refineries versus outputting to the belt?

I don't think he's outputting anything to the belt

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

right, my refinery layout for red science sucks a lot and I could use some tips to make it better, because it is too drat slow and it frequently gets stuck either with too much hydrogen or graphite

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

does anyone know how to get nvidia to take recordings of the game? when i tried to make some clips it was just my desktop.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

right, my refinery layout for red science sucks a lot and I could use some tips to make it better, because it is too drat slow and it frequently gets stuck either with too much hydrogen or graphite

I've been using one I found on Nilaus' channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPruoHnPK0). You have sets of three refineries. The first refinery is set to plasma refining, takes crude oil off the belt. This refinery direct inputs into the other two - one receives both hydrogen and refined oil, the other receives only refined oil (using a filter on the sorter). These two refineries are set to X-ray cracking. You have three sorters doing direct insertion between these two - two going towards the refinery that is getting only refined oil from the plasma refiner, and one going back the other way.

The outputs from the two x-ray refineries go onto belts. It will be equal amounts hydrogen and graphite, up to you how to sort/filter. However, don't let the x-ray refineries output anything to a belt until the pair is up and running (basically let it build up an internal buffer of materials). If you start them up with outputting sorters already running, you might starve one of them.

In this way, all three refineries work constantly and put out equal amounts of hydrogen and graphite. Upscale as needed to reach desired red science per second.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

It was a little janky at first but I doubled the sorters doing the direct input and never had any issues after that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Automate thermal generator assembly and throw a bunch up. Or just craft 20+.

Put a splitter, belt hydrogen into it, prioritize output toward red science. Have a second output that goes to a bunch of thermal generators. They will burn raw hydrogen.

Do the same for graphite. Once hydrogen/graphite are on the garbage belt you can send them to the same bunch of generators.

This is kinda the only failsafe for this stuff until you get into deut, but even that can back up so having a failsafe of some thermal generators that can handle it all is real good.

Short term, you could just stack a bunch of boxes/large boxes. And then when they are full you open a box, pick up all the items in the box with some key combo, open the next box, pick up all those too, then press the delete key to trash it all. The human trash can technique works out pretty well early on as a stopgap. Doesn't work so well for hydrogen, but with hydrogen you can stack fluid tanks vertically instead and then just keep making more.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 16, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Khorne posted:

Doesn't work so well for hydrogen, but with hydrogen you can stack fluid tanks vertically instead and then just keep making more.

If you pick up a liquid storage chest, it deletes all the items inside automatically, so it's actually even easier with them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Zurai posted:

If you pick up a liquid storage chest, it deletes all the items inside automatically, so it's actually even easier with them.

*devastates

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gully Foyle posted:

The outputs from the two x-ray refineries go onto belts. It will be equal amounts hydrogen and graphite, up to you how to sort/filter. However, don't let the x-ray refineries output anything to a belt until the pair is up and running (basically let it build up an internal buffer of materials). If you start them up with outputting sorters already running, you might starve one of them.
While the “wait until they’re running before connecting the outputs” thing does work, for info you can also just hook them up whenever and hand prime any that get stuck, once. Same effect.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why bother with x-ray cracking? i just ship in all the hydrogen from a gas giant and coal isn't something i use enough of to bother making an infinite source, so the only thing i really need from oil wells is the refined oil

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you find the correct rare resources you don't need refined oil.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm still powering my mecha with coal, I haven't left my starting system at all, and I'm making white cubes when my only special resources are the crude oil on my starting planet. (I'm farming my gas giant for hydrogen and fire ice with a single accumulator, but it's so slow that it's almost pointless.)

It's not fast, but quite a bit faster than I thought it would be.

It's very dumb of me, but surprisingly possible, compared to how comparatively brutal Factorio is about its science. I tend to get carried away in these games with researching as much as I can "before playing for real" because I despise having to rebuild/re-optimise poo poo. In then end it probably wastes more time than it saves, but I idle the poo poo overnight, so it's not too bad.

Hydrogen is a real pain in the rear end without a huge supply of fire ice.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Sandweed posted:

If you find the correct rare resources you don't need refined oil.

How do you get plastic without oil?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jarvisi posted:

How do you get plastic without oil?

I don't even remember what plastic is used for at the moment besides organic crystals... which I'm mining.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Jarmak posted:

I don't even remember what plastic is used for at the moment besides organic crystals... which I'm mining.

Particle broadband uses plastic

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jarmak posted:

Particle Broadband, which is used in purple cubes and fuckall else.

I lucked out by starting on a planet orbiting a fire-ice cloud giant and I stumbled on an organic crystal vein one system over, so by the time I got around to researching x-ray cracking I didn't really need it anymore. The one belt of oil-refineries I made for red cube production produces enough refined oil to fulfill all my plastic needs so far.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
It's used in the particle broadband used by purple. You really don't need a whole lot of plastic, even with 100 white science labs, that's only 7ish plastic/sec needed and 14 refined oil, compared to the 10x larger amount of hydrogen you need for the same

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Slickdrac posted:

It's used in the particle broadband used by purple. You really don't need a whole lot of plastic, even with 100 white science labs, that's only 7ish plastic/sec needed and 14 refined oil, compared to the 10x larger amount of hydrogen you need for the same

Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I setup a small particle broadband line and I don't think I've touched anything plastic related since.

Processors are my new hell now that I've started making the Dyson sphere. I have an absolutely ideal blue star of 1.7lum with 5 planets and a tidally locked lava planet in near orbit and I can't decide whether I want to start the actual sphere construction there. I mean it's pretty much perfect for it but.... do I really need to colonize a new system to build it when in my home system I have a 1/3 of the surface of my main desert factor untouched and a mostly virgin green wasteland planet in a far orbit that seems tailor-made for dyson launching/final assembly. I guess part of me is being driven by how cool the dyson swarm looks from my close-orbit desert factory planet.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Truga posted:

why bother with x-ray cracking? i just ship in all the hydrogen from a gas giant and coal isn't something i use enough of to bother making an infinite source, so the only thing i really need from oil wells is the refined oil

Because presumably you want red science before you can do things like gas collecting from a gas giant?

Edit: Yes, you can do red science using the basic refining. X-ray cracking is nice though because it produces (net) hydrogen and graphite at equal ratios, which is exactly what you need for red science.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 16, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gully Foyle posted:

Because presumably you want red science before you can do things like gas collecting from a gas giant?

Edit: Yes, you can do red science using the basic refining. X-ray cracking is nice though because it produces (net) hydrogen and graphite at equal ratios, which is exactly what you need for red science.

Yeah I did red science without x-ray cracking because at that point I didn't understand how you use the two together.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah when i first start doing oil i just overbuild a lot because gently caress organic crystals in particular, so i have no shortage of hydrogen until well after i can start spamming gas giant suckers :v:

i guess it's just a different approach

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
This is why I get so frustrated with these games. Why isn't this a valid connection?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Mayveena posted:

This is why I get so frustrated with these games. Why isn't this a valid connection?

Run the conveyor belt straight into the splitter. Don't need to worry about sorters with those.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Jarmak posted:

Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I setup a small particle broadband line and I don't think I've touched anything plastic related since.

Processors are my new hell now that I've started making the Dyson sphere. I have an absolutely ideal blue star of 1.7lum with 5 planets and a tidally locked lava planet in near orbit and I can't decide whether I want to start the actual sphere construction there. I mean it's pretty much perfect for it but.... do I really need to colonize a new system to build it when in my home system I have a 1/3 of the surface of my main desert factor untouched and a mostly virgin green wasteland planet in a far orbit that seems tailor-made for dyson launching/final assembly. I guess part of me is being driven by how cool the dyson swarm looks from my close-orbit desert factory planet.

Yeah processors and quantum chips are proving to be the true late game bottleneck. The amount of factories they and their prerequisites take for even a decent fraction of a full belt is absolutely unreal. Strongly considering dropping this game until blueprints are in, just laying down more belts/factories/inserters for hours straight has ceased to be fun.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Travic posted:

Run the conveyor belt straight into the splitter. Don't need to worry about sorters with those.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Travic posted:

this same thing threw me off, but with logi stations instead of splitters :v:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I want to get off my starter system so I can pretend the horrible monstrosity of spaghetti never happened.

I've got almost all the yellow science done with so I'm getting close I think?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Some buildings will take belts and some take sorters. The way to tell which (aside from just running a belt into it to see) is to select one and look at the building. If you select sorters and you see little white boxes appear then the building takes sorters. If you select belts and you see the boxes then it takes a direct belt connection.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Travic posted:

Some buildings will take belts and some take sorters. The way to tell which (aside from just running a belt into it to see) is to select one and look at the building. If you select sorters and you see little white boxes appear then the building takes sorters. If you select belts and you see the boxes then it takes a direct belt connection.

This is pretty much the best way to learn what works. Takes a couple seconds, max, to wave the belt over the building in question and see if it does something useful.

Experiment! Try everything, even what might seem as a definite no-go. Best to play games like these with no preconceptions (except maybe for a few things but maybe not even that).

Also, remember that if you have stacked storages, sorters can take from any storage in the stack with a non-zero storage limit.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I always think it's something I'm doing wrong so I just throw up my hands instead of experimenting sadly.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Playing through my first game and I've hit the point where I need to start setting up logistics hubs.

Problem is my starting planet has zero silicon or titanium which I seem to need to build stuff that lets me ship things between planets (i.e. where the systems silicon/titanium actually is). So is the only way forward to basically temporarily abandon my starting world and build everything up on another planet until I get interplanetary shipping?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Playing through my first game and I've hit the point where I need to start setting up logistics hubs.

Problem is my starting planet has zero silicon or titanium which I seem to need to build stuff that lets me ship things between planets (i.e. where the systems silicon/titanium actually is). So is the only way forward to basically temporarily abandon my starting world and build everything up on another planet until I get interplanetary shipping?

The starting planet never has silicon or titanium nodes. You need to fly to another planet (one of the ones in your starting system should have both) and set up basic mining operations, then fly back with a few thousand titanium. You can jury-rig silicon if you want by crunching rocks (10 stone->1 silicon ore, and it's a slow recipe).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zurai posted:

The starting planet never has silicon or titanium nodes. You need to fly to another planet (one of the ones in your starting system should have both) and set up basic mining operations, then fly back with a few thousand titanium. You can jury-rig silicon if you want by crunching rocks (10 stone->1 silicon ore, and it's a slow recipe).

make sure to bring fuel for the trip there and back :tipshat:

nerox
May 20, 2001

boar guy posted:

make sure to bring fuel for the trip there and back :tipshat:

And don't be me where you press alt when landing to early on the planet and slingshot yourself back to space with no energy to turn around. :downs:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zurai posted:

The starting planet never has silicon or titanium nodes. You need to fly to another planet (one of the ones in your starting system shouldmight have both) and set up basic mining operations, then fly back with a few thousand titanium. You can jury-rig silicon if you want by crunching rocks (10 stone->1 silicon ore, and it's a slow recipe).

fixed for personal experience :v:

I had a second moon on the gas giant my starting planet was orbiting with titanium but I had to go way to the outer parts of my system to the fourth planet to get silicon

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

nerox posted:

And don't be me where you press alt when landing to early on the planet and slingshot yourself back to space with no energy to turn around. :downs:

I just slam into planets at speed. It's good fun, and I'll be sad if they ever change that behavior.

nerox
May 20, 2001

necrotic posted:

I just slam into planets at speed. It's good fun, and I'll be sad if they ever change that behavior.

I normally do that, but for some reason I hit alt out of habit twice yesterday and slingshotted myself across the universe.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Particle Broadband, which is used in purple cubes and fuckall else.

It's also used in T3 Assemblers.

Nearly done on the Green Techs, and I've still yet to build a single orbital collector or Dyson Sphere... anything, really. On my new prairie planet, I just kept developing my oil industry and fractionators at the poles to resolve my power issues until I suddenly ticked over from having no hydrogen or deuterium to suddenly having my logi towers completely backed up on the things. Having all the oil replacement rare resources really helped in that regard: just built a single plastic line and x-ray crack literally all the rest of the refined oil. I think more than half the oil seeps on this planet are still untapped, ~4 oil/s really puts into perspective how lovely the starter planet is even in its one gimmick.

Kind of just considering building the accumlator farm just to build orbital collectors just to say I did because I... don't feel the need anymore? The same system has ample fire ice veins anyway. Only real challenge left is to start building Dyson poo poo around the O-type star over at the rear end end of the cluster. Not sure if I should produce the components here at Central or try to spin up local production there.

Strawberry Pyramid fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I honestly haven't bothered with T3 assemblers. I probably ought to, to cut down the size of my green engine factories, but it doesn't seem that worthwhile for the higher tier stuff where I'm really more limited by inputs than building space, so I can just slap down a few more T2 assemblers instead.

I do like T2 assemblers because they're pretty cheap and it's way easier on the mental math to have recipes just be at-speed.