Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I know if you manage it 'legit' Xi gives you a nice pat on the back but is there any reason not to just save up a ton of money, buy all the stone in the world, and staircase my way down to Skull Cavern 100? I've managed to hit 60 once and it seems too RNG-dependent to do otherwise.

Also truffle oil seems incredibly valuable, is there any downside to just putting a couple of barns of pigs in a corner and letting them have free reign over a small area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pierson posted:

I know if you manage it 'legit' Xi gives you a nice pat on the back but is there any reason not to just save up a ton of money, buy all the stone in the world, and staircase my way down to Skull Cavern 100? I've managed to hit 60 once and it seems too RNG-dependent to do otherwise.

Also truffle oil seems incredibly valuable, is there any downside to just putting a couple of barns of pigs in a corner and letting them have free reign over a small area?

No downside to staircasing your way down to floor 100, although you can give Jade to the Desert Trader on Sundays for staircases, which might save you some money.

Pigs don't produce Truffles in Winter, so that's technically a downside, I guess. (Also as a note: Iridium-quality Truffles are worth more by themselves than Truffle Oil so)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TurnipFritter posted:

Pigs don't produce Truffles in Winter, so that's technically a downside, I guess. (Also as a note: Iridium-quality Truffles are worth more by themselves than Truffle Oil so)

Truffle oil sells for 1491 if you have artisan. Iridium truffles sell for 1250.

Artisan is the best farming skill talent by a long, long, long ways. So you probably have it.

Pierson posted:

Pigs only create truffles in a clear space. So to get full value you need to have enough clear space, not grass, for the pigs. That means you almost have to go collect truffles every day. Pig barns are a lot more profitable than cow barns, but they're a lot more work too. Even in vanilla, between the autograbber and the new thing that loads makers you can almost completely automate cows.

Cows are still more profitable than any other except pigs. Goats are close, trading less frequent drops and thus less effort for slightly less value than cows.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Truffle Oil's real problem is opportunity cost with how long it takes to process and how many machines you'd need a day for all your pigs when they're digging up lots of truffles. Selling them raw is easier and faster.

In other news, it seems that super duper retaining soil does work on garden pots indoors (as long as you don't forget to water them the first time :doh:) so now my Slime Hutch is going to be a little mini greenhouse for a bunch of Pineapples once I get enough of their seeds. I've been planting every one I can find on the island and hoping to seed maker them as they grow. Now you might ask, why even build a Slime Hutch if you're not going to use it for slimes? The answer is 1) aesthetic, and 2) it makes slimes drop slime eggs and they sell for crazy money.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
I started up again on Switch now that 1.5 is out. I'm three days in and my animals aren't producing any products, even though they're all "really happy." Is this a known issue with the update?

Right before I hit submit I remembered that auto-gatherers exist and I'm a dumbass. I could have just hit back, but I wanted my idiocy preserved for all time. Enjoy!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Falathrim posted:

I started up again on Switch now that 1.5 is out. I'm three days in and my animals aren't producing any products, even though they're all "really happy." Is this a known issue with the update?

Right before I hit submit I remembered that auto-gatherers exist and I'm a dumbass. I could have just hit back, but I wanted my idiocy preserved for all time. Enjoy!

To be fair, maybe helpful to many people who are returning! Glad you sorted it out. :D

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely can't decide which farm to go for with the switch update. Decision paralysis!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Beach Farm if you usually find yourself stuck in a loop of hoeing more and more field and not playing the rest of the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What about the new animals for your barn you can get on the island, better than pigs or cows?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lol that it rained on the last day of spring and my Junimo Huts aren't going to do anything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Better Junimos is quite a treat if you're not stuck on Nintendo. Plus they get adorable little leaf umbrellas.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's the significance of rain and junimo huts?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In vanilla they don't work in the rain or in other certain conditions and their range and efficiency is something you gotta watch out for.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Junimos end the day when you do, so if you go to bed before the they are done for the day, they won't complete the harvest. They also don't work while you're at a Festival, so gong to a festival too early can also result in an incomplete harvest.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ConcernedApe you can't include this in a scene and NOT let me gently caress Willy

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pigs also don't produce truffles on rainy days, so if you're mathing out pigs vs cows you need to account for that as well. If you assume ~10 rainy days per year, that means literally one in three days of the year that pigs aren't producing anything at all, whereas cows just keep on truckin'.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Quick napkin math

322 x 30 x 4 = 38640
1491 x 20 x 3 = 89460

Pigs are still worth more than twice as much per year as cows. They're more of a headache though and their products are less useful outside of sale price.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Finally reached Fall 15, and followed Emily on her birthday visit to Sandy.

I don't think there's any other interaction between two characters in the game that lasts a full day. It's pretty nice.

Also, I didn't realize the Desert Trader was a woman.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The simon minigame is really annoying and is a pretty big time sink for what the actual reward is.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

On this play through I went in deep on wild seeds on my first year and it's such an over looked money maker in spring. Less so summer and not worth it fall. Interesting though, first couple of crops I just remade into more wild seeds then fertilised everywhere and planted everything for a decent payday.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

cakesmith handyman posted:

On this play through I went in deep on wild seeds on my first year and it's such an over looked money maker in spring. Less so summer and not worth it fall. Interesting though, first couple of crops I just remade into more wild seeds then fertilised everywhere and planted everything for a decent payday.

Usually better off selling the foraging seed packs for better seeds or equipment when you can make them. It's better money and you get crucial farming skill instead of foraging, which you can get by chopping trees.

It's not bad, though, and can be one way to get the extra berry harvest faster. I just don't like having to spend the energy to water the forage stuff.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I generally use wild and foraging seeds on hoed squares if there's not enough days in the month to plant new crops. Saves some plowing time on the first of the next month.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

They only sell for 35 though, better to sell the foraged items, this was just a quicker way to get more seeds when funds are tight in spring year 1

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Wild seeds always sell for more than the sum of each component item at base (and I think silver too) quality. Remember, the recipe makes 10 seeds!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

ILL Machina posted:

Usually better off selling the foraging seed packs for better seeds or equipment when you can make them. It's better money and you get crucial farming skill instead of foraging, which you can get by chopping trees.

It's not bad, though, and can be one way to get the extra berry harvest faster. I just don't like having to spend the energy to water the forage stuff.

In multiplayer, the concerns are the exact opposite - you'll probably want to suffer lower income in exchange for growing wild seed packs because foraging skill is much harder to come by.

And obviously in winter, wild seeds are the only way to keep your fields full.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Fiber Seeds (added in 1.5) will also grow in Winter, and without watering.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I grew a ton of winter seeds mostly for Crystal fruit. It does well in preserves jars. I made enough seeds to plant around 5 irridium sprinklers next winter and sold the rest of the goods for a nice profit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wild seeds always sell for more than the sum of each component item at base (and I think silver too) quality. Remember, the recipe makes 10 seeds!

You're right, still, selling a bunch of gold and silver forage products netted me a lot more than that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If you have the gatherer perk (whichever one gives you x2 for forages items), plus the one that gives you iridium quality forages items, then you'd end up picking up two iridium quality truffles every time, which is an immediate and almost daily profit. Unless you specifically wanted to pick the opposite perks of these two, wouldn't this be your best bet, in terms of animal profit?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gatherer only gives the double harvest 1/5 or 1/4 of the time I think. But yes, pigs with the foraging perks are crazy.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you have the gatherer perk (whichever one gives you x2 for forages items), plus the one that gives you iridium quality forages items, then you'd end up picking up two iridium quality truffles every time, which is an immediate and almost daily profit. Unless you specifically wanted to pick the opposite perks of these two, wouldn't this be your best bet, in terms of animal profit?
The perk for iridium quality forage is great, but kinda wasted on truffles since its better to turn them into oil anyway (unless you don't have artisan for some reason).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unless you're running Automate, constantly feeding truffles into the machines is a serious drag on your time. It's SO much nicer to get like 85% of the value to just pick them up and dump them in the bin.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Just have a row of machines. Same as cheese and mayo. But whatever suits your taste. I can't be bothered to run any crops I can't see from my doorstep, basically (plus greenhouse). Especially after the CC is done.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unless you're running Automate, constantly feeding truffles into the machines is a serious drag on your time. It's SO much nicer to get like 85% of the value to just pick them up and dump them in the bin.

The unified storage ofJunimo Chests and Automate make for an interesting combo on my farm.

1. Junimo Chest in the Barnyard, for Truffles.
2. Junimo Chest in the Barn, Oilmakers.
3. Junimo Chest in the Greenhouse. Starfruit.
4. Junimo Chest in the Island Farmhouse, Kegs.
5. Junimo Chest in Cellar, Casks.
6. Junimo Chest in Mine Entrance, Crystalariums.

Truffle oil every day, Iridium Starfruit Wine every eight days, Diamonds every five days.

I would probably risk logjamming if I added the Autograbber in my current coop and mayo machines to the chain; too many types of potential outputs. A dedicated coop with a certain chicken type might work.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
With gatherer (and potentially botanist, depending), wild seeds are surprisingly good for most seasons. Not so much spring, but planting them in spring 1 is part of how you *get* gatherer and botanist, so.

Some people think that they're not so worth it in Summer, but that can be because they forget that summer seeds only have 3 ingredients, not 4.

They don't compete with artisan processed stuff, but they're a solid 3-harvest, non-time-sensitive cash crop, good for some gifts, some processing, and leveling foraging.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can also put horseradish, brown mushrooms and winter roods in seed makers to get the appropriate wild seeds.

With brown mushrooms from the mushroom cave and roots from slime drops, you can have a lot of fall and winter seeds ready to go as soon as you unlock the seed maker.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah all my common mushrooms get converted to fall seeds which get converted to tree fertilizer.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The Desert Trader on one day trades wild seeds in a cycle (but not 1 for 1 I think) Mostly handy for say, trying to get a lot of leeks in one spring. <.<

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

hey did y'all know there's a real cool feature that you can toggle on in the options menu that displays how many of a certain item you've crafted? it's extremely helpful if you're trying to craft everything so you don't end up running all over the place trying to see what all you've crafted and then still crafting nearly every item twice trying to figure out what you missed, not that i'm speaking from experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah all my common mushrooms get converted to fall seeds which get converted to tree fertilizer.

Same but tea saplings.