Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Imo they really need to refine the way you build structures. It works but it’s pretty meh.

The first big update on the roadmap is called “Hearth and Home” which sounds like the building tweaks I’m hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bussamove posted:

The first big update on the roadmap is called “Hearth and Home” which sounds like the building tweaks I’m hoping for.

Ok awesome!

I can’t figure out how to level the ground either so I’ll probably have to find a YouTube video about it since it wasn’t explained in game from what I saw.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Ok awesome!

I can’t figure out how to level the ground either so I’ll probably have to find a YouTube video about it since it wasn’t explained in game from what I saw.

Leveling is very much a “well that looks good enough” sort of thing. You eventually get a feel for how to make slopes and stuff but for me at least one misclick and my walls are floating and I’m losing my mine raising the ground again to make it look good.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

Building a raft shouldn't require bronze.

I don't see a reason to build a raft, lol. Its so brutally slow. I would rather grind out the 4 bronze and build a slow but not molasses slow ship.

*UPDATE* So when your killed on your boat your grave stone sits on top of the water. Just drive up beside it and make sure your inventory is empty as it will just throw everything into your inventory at once then vanish. So happy I got my swamp key back!

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 16, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

NuckmasterJ posted:

I don't see a reason to build a raft, lol. Its so brutally slow. I would rather grind out the 4 bronze and build a slow but not molasses slow ship.

You build a raft to see how poo poo it is and then that’s it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leveling is not a problem if you build on stilts. Prep your floorplan with a bunch of the half-heights and boom, your mansion awaits.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah stilts are the way to go

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Bussamove posted:

Leveling is very much a “well that looks good enough” sort of thing. You eventually get a feel for how to make slopes and stuff but for me at least one misclick and my walls are floating and I’m losing my mine raising the ground again to make it look good.

Finally all my time finessing ground leveling in Cities Skylines has paid off. Once you get a feel for the AOE and height indicator you can cut decent slopes.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
The key thing I learned about levelling ground was that the tool tries to match the ground at the cursor to the height at your feet, once you know that it's not too hard to flatten out a decently sized area. It still gets fussy sometimes, but usually not anything that can't be sorted out with the raise ground option or a pickaxe.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played cyberpunk for 2 hours

I've played valheim for 50 hours so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm trying to figure out if its me or the game, but is the snap to in building really bad? I know this is an early release but man its tough to get pieces of line up properly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Only time I have trouble is if I'm trying to snap something below me. Otherwise it's fine

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hell yeah, I found a real good swamp with 3 crypts right next to each other and an empty Longboat to fill with Iron :getin:

The game definitely is grindy but the complaints about Iron seem overblown to me. You're going to have to sail around to move ores but doing runs in the boat is kinda fun and with one full load you can easily get enough iron to make a longboat for your next trip which can hold shittons of the stuff. I'm sure my tune will change when I die and lose all of my gear but so far the strategy of building a portal before you leave, and bringing enough mats on the boat to build a portal wherever you land feels like a reasonable safety net. Even if you do die, assuming nothing happens to the portal you can try a naked corpserun or gear up at your base before hopping through the portal to get your gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The snap could be better but it's easy to adapt to, it could be way worse than it is. I've played games with worse so I guess that's something.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

New complaint: Trying to build anything with real height to it for the first time, and my roof keeps collapsing no matter how much I shore it up. Do supports actually matter or does it just count distance/number of pieces between it and the ground? I've seen conflicting information.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Great game, wish I had any creativity or building aesthetic though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bussamove posted:

New complaint: Trying to build anything with real height to it for the first time, and my roof keeps collapsing no matter how much I shore it up. Do supports actually matter or does it just count distance/number of pieces between it and the ground? I've seen conflicting information.

It's count from the ground. When placing pieces, they are colored - blue means "I am touching the ground" and green -> red indicates further from the ground, through attachments. The only real way to increase height is to use longer pieces. The 4m log poles help a lot with this. Pieces will count the shortest path to a blue piece to calculate their color.

You can use some beams/logs to try get a bit of extra sturdiness but in general the best way to get higher is to use longer pieces.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Bussamove posted:

AFAIK the game counts the shortest path to the ground, and pieces will break if that number exceeds ~5 or 6. The larger poles that you get access to with core wood are twice as long, so you can make things twice as tall.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well there goes my hopes of building anything particularly tall then.

Come on, Hearth and Home update.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I think I've done pretty much everything with the defeat of this latest boss. Game owns.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

https://imgur.com/r/valheim/YiwD5Gi

You can get clever with the terrain deformation options.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FYI if you're like me and were trying to figure out why you were actually getting seasick while sailing on the ocean, turn off the realistic boat camera mode or whatever it's called in the options. By default it locks the camera to the orientation of the ship so it bobs around with the waves but turning that off keeps it centered. It can get rough when a storm rolls through.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

NuckmasterJ posted:

On my particular world, I had absolutely no Black Forests that were reachable by land (well, excluding the 1 absolutely tiny instance that had nothing to mine), so I was forced to build the raft just to get to a Black Forest with actual mining.

So I think the raft exists for those such situations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bussamove posted:

Well there goes my hopes of building anything particularly tall then.

Come on, Hearth and Home update.

Your best bet is getting to core wood unlock, so you get the 4m long poles as supports. They are your main way of giving support to high structures

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I spent over an hour slowly sailing southwards on a raft to see how far I'd get. I managed maybe a quarter of the radius of my map, and ultimately died death of a thousand waves. Also I got followed by a water snake or something which nibbled at the raft. It was so brutally slow lmao.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
why is this game good everywhere I go people are talking about it but I haven't played it or looked at any videos okay go

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Jon Joe posted:

why is this game good everywhere I go people are talking about it but I haven't played it or looked at any videos okay go

It's good because it's good, hth

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

It's good because it's good, hth

interesting

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It ticks a lot of the cool exploration vibes of Ark or Minecraft without all of the farming busywork and also it's very pretty.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Jon Joe posted:

Because the end game monster is a mosquito

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dogstile posted:

Only time I have trouble is if I'm trying to snap something below me. Otherwise it's fine

The biggest issue i've had is if i want to make something 2 walls tall, i need to be at the top of the first wall for it to snap. Also I cannot get the center of the roof to even appear when trying to snap. A floor works but it doesn't look as good. I mean i'm probably just spoiled by Conan and Arks building which has years of refinement, but still annoying things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'm trying to figure out if its me or the game, but is the snap to in building really bad? I know this is an early release but man its tough to get pieces of line up properly.

I was just coming to complain about this.

I had one hole I needed to fill with a 4x4 floor and the game would not put the fuckin square in the hole. It would always go on the ground below it.

The snap is really not good.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jon Joe posted:

There’s been a pandemic and we’re all slightly insane and yearn for the simple days of sailing off the edge of the flat earth and naruto running through a dark forest for thistle and boar meat to make sausages.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

I was just coming to complain about this.

I had one hole I needed to fill with a 4x4 floor and the game would not put the fuckin square in the hole. It would always go on the ground below it.

The snap is really not good.

I wish the snap toggle would actually DO something. For now though the trick to snapping (especially for putting stuff slightly underneat the ground, like poles), is to put something adjacent to it down first, then it seems to snap better, then dismantle whatever you temporarily placed down

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'd like a way to streamline stuff as I level up tiers, like have a berry farm pot made of iron to collect berries every day like the bee hive.

Let me do lower tier stuff faster.

Also gently caress da plains

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Do I get everything back if I dismantle and move a workbench and its upgrades? I really need to move some poo poo around.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
You do but I think the consensus is that things have to be fully repaired before you dismantle them otherwise you risk losing bits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What could probably help is to add foundations rather than just having floors. Also being able to lower and raise were something is placed would be helpful.

I'm pretty experienced in games like this, for example my Palace in Conan Exiles

It took a lot of work to get to the level and gather the resources to build it so i don't expect to build stuff like this right off the bat in a game who's age can be best counted in days, but even building a hut was fairly easy even early in Conan.

Now that I have a hoe I'm going to rebuild my house, as I can flatten the land a lot easier.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

anatomi posted:

Do I get everything back if I dismantle and move a workbench and its upgrades? I really need to move some poo poo around.

You're supposed to - at least when what your taking apart is at full health. There's a pretty nasty bug right now, though, that sometimes (circumstances unclear) only gives you a fraction of the materials back. Big oof when I wanted to move our kiln and smelter and only got 2 surtling cores back total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The snap is where your cursor is. If you line your cursor with the part you're trying to snap with, it becomes a lot easier instead of trying to fit the actual part in the empty space (if this makes any sense)