Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

You can play it natively on your quest (no wires or Virtual Desktop) or you can plug in link (or use VD) and play it there on Oculus with slight graphical improvements.

The difference to me is so slight I usually just play it natively. Let me know what you think about the motion sickness adjustment, I'm curious how it is for a new player.

I wouldn’t say it’s slight, native quest has really obvious jaggies and everything is definitely blurrier, which can matter a fair bit when spotting and tracking far off enemies. On the other hand, climbing definitely seems a bit jankier playing via virtual desktop, so it’s a bit of a wash. I personally benefit from and prefer the higher resolution but I’ve played on both and can’t say I’ve lost any games due to either method.

Either way, get the game. It’s really good, and I appreciate the design more every day. Latest optimization: switching hand directed motion to head directed - switching from movement to gliding screws with the hand directed motion (you start moving sideways because your hand rotates as you lift your arms like wings). You can more intuitively use the analog stick to adjust for turning your head to continue in a straight line.

On a side note, obviously, as a VR game, it’s still in the minor leagues population and awareness-wise but it’s still weird to me that I’ve played against the top player 3 times already.

Hell yeah Population One snype, also get Blaston it’s fun as hell, and a good workout and $10! Also the devs are super responsive.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will say for Pop1 specifically the quest version runs at 72hz and the pc version runs at 90, so there is a difference in that regard.

Are you talking Quest 1 or Quest 2? I tried to look around and see if Pop1 supports 90hz on Q2 but couldn't find any official answers, just one guy on Reddit who claims it does.

It would make total sense to me if it was running 72hz because it made me sick in a way most 90hz games don't.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Enderzero posted:

I wouldn’t say it’s slight, native quest has really obvious jaggies and everything is definitely blurrier, which can matter a fair bit when spotting and tracking far off enemies. On the other hand, climbing definitely seems a bit jankier playing via virtual desktop, so it’s a bit of a wash. I personally benefit from and prefer the higher resolution but I’ve played on both and can’t say I’ve lost any games due to either method.

The AA is the only difference I see on Link, I wonder if the sharpness you're getting is from VD post-processing. Although it's possible its using better textures, its hard to tell with the basic graphics in general.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Lockback posted:

The AA is the only difference I see on Link, I wonder if the sharpness you're getting is from VD post-processing. Although it's possible its using better textures, its hard to tell with the basic graphics in general.

I think the textures are the same in both instances. Its probably just that but it makes a big difference to my eyes.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Enderzero posted:

Hell yeah Population One snype, also get Blaston it’s fun as hell, and a good workout and $10! Also the devs are super responsive.

did you just edit in a snype mention

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Can you plug a USB-C thumb drive into the Quest 2 headset and use it for media storage?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You know designers you don't have to make me do anything in VR right? While it's possible I'm an idiot, I'm pretty sure there's no simple menu option for setting height with Windows Reality. That totally does not need to be an app. Also you know maybe make that number easily accessible so I don't feel like an idiot. Let's list some clues so everyone can see how dense I am.

Person in a steamvr room that I accidently joined instantly commenting that guy is tall! Should have been a tip off but I'm like 6 1' so I ignored it. Though it did seem odd I'm not noteworthily tall.
Being unable to pick up ping pong balls on the floor of Table Tennis.
Towering over Rick and Morty.
Unable to pick up laundry in Rick and Morty from the ground.
Talos Principle windows and consoles being so low to the ground. The tetromino was also awkward.
Oh yeah Propagation target shooting required ducking.

So todays lesson is I'm very dense and am capable of handwaving poo poo away as VR just being its wonky self.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 16, 2021

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Vakal posted:

Can you plug a USB-C thumb drive into the Quest 2 headset and use it for media storage?

apparently yes if formatted in fat32?
https://support.oculus.com/2289814927920267/

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

also this track is a 2012 dark techno Banger, as a track and now as a lvl too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAFhYTFvW0
also some experimental stuff that worked well imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6Z5XYPxkg

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 16, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ishikabibble posted:

It's absolutely amazing how seemingly no company can actually understand what people want out of an avatar. They go so hard trying to make them generic/diverse/universal they just wind up looking off and creepy.

What do people want out of a VR avatar?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sea of losers posted:

also this track is a 2012 dark techno Banger, as a track and now as a lvl too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAFhYTFvW0

:psyduck:

This is intense. Is there normally some audio feedback that you're hitting a note the right way that's not in this video? Maybe it's just this song and difficulty level but hitting the blocks doesn't seem to be at all in sync with what's happening in the song in some of those fast parts.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

mutata posted:

Big anime tiddies

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mutata posted:

Not being a human should always be an option if it’s just a glorified profile pic. My PS4 avatar is a garbage truck.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

explosivo posted:

:psyduck:

This is intense. Is there normally some audio feedback that you're hitting a note the right way that's not in this video? Maybe it's just this song and difficulty level but hitting the blocks doesn't seem to be at all in sync with what's happening in the song in some of those fast parts.

yeah theres a lag in the sound effects for some reason, no lag in the actual gameplay tho, im just uploading the raw capture of the oculus quest 1's video capture feature. if ppl want i could try to synchronize it in the future but idk how to do that right now, ppl dont watch these much and i try to just go through these randomgen'd levels for fun to try to find the best ones. i have over 100 days of music to try in this thing, not all of it works because i dont pay on patreon for beatsage.com but anything under 10mins i can try

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 16, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sea of losers posted:

yeah theres a lag in the audio for some reason, im just uploading the raw capture of the oculus quest 1's video capture feature. if ppl want i could try to synchronize it in the future

Oh no don't worry about it, I couldn't tell if it was the game or the video but that's good to know.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rolo posted:

Not being a human should always be an option if it’s just a glorified profile pic. My PS4 avatar is a garbage truck.

How do garbage trucks gently caress?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Duck and Cover posted:

How do garbage trucks gently caress?

Filthily.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Turn your television on.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

mutata posted:

If VRChat is anything to go by, to live their best drat furry life.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

mutata posted:

If my experiences in VRChat are any indication, just about anything that isn’t a semirealistic human being. Endless indistinguishable anime girls, your favorite cartoon or videogame character, your fursona, a Roomba, a six-inch-tall Morgan Freeman, the mech from Titanfall 2, a house, a snake, a T-Rex, various Pokemon, a black hole...I’ve only seen a generic human being as a VRChat avatar once, and it was striking purely in how out-of-place it was compared to the rest of the room.

Perhaps this is just the circles I tend to run in, but much like the insistence on everyone using their real names on social media, I think it fundamentally misunderstands how at least a moderately-sized portion of the userbase want to use the internet. Maybe I only speak for me here, but making a stylized version of the same face I see in the mirror every day is boring, and your social experience is going to have to be very compelling to make me prefer it over VRChat or XYZ other programs where I’m not limited to that.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

It's absolutely amazing how seemingly no company can actually understand what people want out of an avatar. They go so hard trying to make them generic/diverse/universal they just wind up looking off and creepy.

I imagine facebook employees aren't used to working on things people actually care about

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheKnife posted:

I imagine facebook employees aren't used to working on things people actually care about

All their developmental avatar work is dedicated towards rendering a scanned 3D model of your actual body in VR rather than anything more interesting.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There is something deeply suspect about people who want to play literally just themselves, like if you don't want some kind of escape from the real world even in a videogame then you definitely aren't paying enough attention to the world.

I remember when the ill-fated Playstation Home came out, and the first thing I did was look at the manicured model it presented me and turned him into a knock-off Carl from Aqua Teen, bald and surly, complete with sandals and slacks. Then I went out into the world and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Amazing day. Never played it again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Realistic human avatars are for the people who pick Mario in Mario Kart.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I know someone else said medal of honour has improved since its release so I was thinking of getting it. I've got a quest 2 and was wondering if it's better to buy it on oculus store or on Steam? or does it not really matter.

I'll def be playing this on VD if it matters.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Any recommendations for a good golf (not mini-golf) game for the Quest 2? The Steam reviews on Golf Club VR are concerning.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There is something deeply suspect about people who want to play literally just themselves, like if you don't want some kind of escape from the real world even in a videogame then you definitely aren't paying enough attention to the world.

i remember starting saints row 2 as a man but letting me be a woman later and now i just play as women in every game when i can for some reason

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rolo posted:

Your profile pic is separate from the avatar. I have a little MST3k silhouette for my profile pic, but an off-putting balding guy for my avatar because reality must be preserved, damnit.

Luneshot posted:

If my experiences in VRChat are any indication, just about anything that isn’t a semirealistic human being. Endless indistinguishable anime girls, your favorite cartoon or videogame character, your fursona, a Roomba, a six-inch-tall Morgan Freeman, the mech from Titanfall 2, a house, a snake, a T-Rex, various Pokemon, a black hole...I’ve only seen a generic human being as a VRChat avatar once, and it was striking purely in how out-of-place it was compared to the rest of the room.

Perhaps this is just the circles I tend to run in, but much like the insistence on everyone using their real names on social media, I think it fundamentally misunderstands how at least a moderately-sized portion of the userbase want to use the internet. Maybe I only speak for me here, but making a stylized version of the same face I see in the mirror every day is boring, and your social experience is going to have to be very compelling to make me prefer it over VRChat or XYZ other programs where I’m not limited to that.

I don't think you're wrong about what people want, but I don't think the avatars are aimed at fulfilling what users want. As a developer, if you told me "This application you're making has to support an avatar that can be literally anything with no (or at least very wide bounds)" I'd say forget it. Something like Pokerstars would be ridiculous to build if you had to account for people being vehicles or animals or very very large or very small. If you can say "here are the tight parameters every avatar will fit in" you can actually use those assets.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

by.a.teammate posted:

I know someone else said medal of honour has improved since its release so I was thinking of getting it. I've got a quest 2 and was wondering if it's better to buy it on oculus store or on Steam? or does it not really matter.

I'll def be playing this on VD if it matters.

They've mentioned looking into releasing a quest native version, in which case the oculus store version I guess would probably have cross buy. Thats pretty theoretical though and i really doubt they'll release a quest native downgrade of it, so I really shouldnt' think it matters. The steam version supports both steamVR and oculus native anyways.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

If they're releasing the game at 80$ they aren't going to offer a crossbuy

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So I picked up a Quest 2 at the weekend after deciding my psvr just wouldn’t cut it anymore, and holy crap I’m blown away.

Star Wars Squadrons in VR is what I wanted all my adult life, and all the other games i’ve tried have been at worst ‘fun’ and in the case of Blade and Sorcery, loving /amazing/. I do various sword related hobbies and pastimes irl and it’s the first ever game that manages to get melee feeling right, even if the weapons are actually weightless. Unfortunately a. I nearly punched my wife when she came up on me unannounced as I made a boar spear thrust, and b. It’s the first vr game I’ve played to give me motion sickness.

Short bursts of extreme violence are the way, I think.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yay, Camrath has joined the begoggled hordes!

There's a setting under Experimental Features that lets you see the outside world if you double tap the side of the headset, definitely enable that if you think people are going to try to get your attention.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yay, Camrath has joined the begoggled hordes!

There's a setting under Experimental Features that lets you see the outside world if you double tap the side of the headset, definitely enable that if you think people are going to try to get your attention.

Ooh, that’ll be handy considering wife and cats..

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Camrath posted:

Ooh, that’ll be handy considering wife and cats..

As someone who has cats that like to congregate by my feet for some reason while I'm playing VR, even if you don't wear glasses, the optional glasses attachment it comes with is useful to give you some room to look down and see outside of the goggles if you need to. It lets in more light so if that's a problem maybe don't bother but I have it attached all the time so I can peer down and tilt my head back to see outside or by my feet to make sure I'm positioned where I should be.

Edit: The aforementioned guardian display feature is awesome but kinda finnicky so it's hard to do quickly, which is why I prefer to just keep the thing on so I can see out when I need to by tilting my head back and looking down

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Blade and Sorcery is unfortunately a particularly bad VR motion sickness game. There may be others to help get you your VR legs with a bit less tummy issues.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Finally decided to throw some stimulus bucks at building a real gaming PC so I can ditch Shadow (which has gotten increasingly worse thanks to Buttcoin apparently being profitable enough to justify getting banned for TOS violations).

Surprisingly, it’s not THAT much better of an experience compared to cloud VR at its best outside of fast movement stuff like Beatsaber. It’s a lot more consistent and I can crank up graphics more but otherwise my experience playing something like Alyx is mostly comparable. No Mans Sky is a huge disappointment since it’s still a jittery piece of poo poo.

But I finally can play GTA 5 VR and wow is it cool.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Leathal posted:

But I finally can play GTA 5 VR and wow is it cool.

:stare: Buddy, I am going to need a *lot* more details.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:stare: Buddy, I am going to need a *lot* more details.

This.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Here is the github link to the mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QD_ggjrK8
This video is fairly popular VR youtuber playing it and also instructions on how to install. Didn't timestamp but about 4 minutes in he goes over the install

Doesn't include VR controllers so you're going to be using an xbox/ps4 controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
For anyone who is currently obsessed with pop one like me, this guy is almost getting the level 60 avatar which is an insane amount of time to put into a game. Also he is insanely good at the game.
https://www.twitch.tv/vapelifeyo