Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Yeah, definitely want to give a shout out of appreciation to everyone who updates this thread with the new chapters. It's always a delight to see the new posts and find out a new chapter has been released!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aades posted:

I'm really glad to find this thread, keeping up with new chapters by watching the Reddit forum puts a lot of thirsty Fubuki fan drawings on my home page there.

I don't get why anyone would do thirsty Fubuki fan drawings.

That's competing with Murata's thirsty Fubuki fan drawings, and that's not a fight you can win.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get why anyone would do thirsty Fubuki fan drawings.

That's competing with Murata's thirsty Fubuki fan drawings, and that's not a fight you can win.

They don't really. It's mostly a lot of bad colorizations of the same pictures and some "original" art that's so referenced they might as well have traced it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Aades posted:

I'm really glad to find this thread, keeping up with new chapters by watching the Reddit forum puts a lot of thirsty Fubuki fan drawings on my home page there.

Nice humblebrag

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shadow0 posted:

I get the temptation to discuss how the manga is different from the webcomic in the manga thread, but maybe it makes more sense in the webcomic thread. Is this kind of comparing going on in the anime thread too?

It also does kind of pull me out of the story or something being constantly told that this version is ~different~. Obviously the redraws don't help either. Maybe that's just me, I don't know.

Honestly I keep most of my comparison thoughts in the webcomic thread, if I have criticisms about the Murata version then fundamentally they're about the Murata version. That said, I don't recall having made too many direct comparisons in a long time.

It's just kind of funny seeing people hype up the chapter that orochi finally gets splatted as "hah, this looked badass, that'll show the naysayers what for!" when the pacing had kind of dulled whatever emotional stakes might've gone in. So the only real reaction I had was, nice art, glad to see the fight ended with a bang, love to see a cute saitama and monaco gag. I think for the readers whose enthusiasm for the murata version had faded, it basically comes to the recent chapters (past year or so, maybe a bit more) lacking some of the emotional core, the heart, that the rest of ONE's works specializes in. It's not like webcomic readers were excited for the Garou arc because of the fights, have you seen ONE's art? ONE and Murata are having fun here, and I'm not going to take that away from them, but the drama of the story is currently dipping and I'm just waiting for some stakes to be re-established.

Hell, One Piece is arguably the best shonen manga of all time precisely because it's so good at establishing those emotional stakes, getting people invested, and then paying it off. Even the weaker arcs had some form of character drama at its heart, and fights are essentially just how the drama gets resolved. And those weaker arcs, again, are usually due to the pacing getting caught up in cool fights instead of progressing the drama at the heart of those fights. It's why Dressrosa turned into kind of a slog compared to how Whole Cake Island turned into a compelling character study for Sanji, or how Zou's big twist and payoff was enough to bring readers to tears, and now Wano is deeply rousing and incredibly hype despite Oda's art not being on the level of a Murata masterwork.

A few pages of Luffy and some bros managing to stand up to two Emperors got me more excited and psyched up than a few dozen pages of, admittedly gorgeous, Murata art. That's what it's about.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 30, 2021

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Aades posted:

To be honest I can only imagine that being an improvement

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oh jay posted:

They don't really. It's mostly a lot of bad colorizations of the same pictures and some "original" art that's so referenced they might as well have traced it.

haha when you first said it i imagined reddit was doin a bunch of lovely MSPaint drawings

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Hell, One Piece is arguably the best shonen manga of all time

:hmmyes:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is a few pages old but is great

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Just treat this version as separate from the webcomic, at this point. It's really tiring to hear any discussion of what is currently going on in the manga drowned by "BUT THE WEBCOMIC". The webcomic hasn't been canceled, it's still out there. It's totally fine for the story to have two different forks and interpretation and to prefer one, but it's not particularly critically useful to shut down interpretations of one based on the fact that they don't seem to fit the other.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy exists as a radio series, TV series, novel series, video game, and movie. Each has a unique plot, story elements, and sense of humor. Douglas Adams himself either wrote or was on board for the parts unique to each telling of the story, including things introduced for the movie which was actually filmed after his death. They're all valid tellings of the story, just different tellings. I figure this is the same deal.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Killer robot posted:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy exists as a radio series, TV series, novel series, video game, and movie. Each has a unique plot, story elements, and sense of humor. Douglas Adams himself either wrote or was on board for the parts unique to each telling of the story, including things introduced for the movie which was actually filmed after his death. They're all valid tellings of the story, just different tellings. I figure this is the same deal.
Doesn't it go so far that ONE even does some light storyboarding for the manga? Clearly nothing is going to happen in it that he doesn't directly approve of.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
ONE is the writer of the manga. He does storyboards for the manga. He lets Murata jazz it up here and there, because he trusts and respects his partner, but nothing Murata comes up with is unapproved by ONE before it's published.

All these bizarre conspiracy theories that 'Murata is the one responsible for everything in the manga, he's ruining ONE's work' (as an example of the extreme end of the 'Murata is responsible for any deviations between the webcomic and the manga' posts on the internet) are so...eh. I just don't get it. It's weird. ONE is as responsible for what you see in the manga as Murata is, and he's clearly fine with Murata's perfectionism in all the redraws, too, because I doubt Murata would be doing them without ONE's consent.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There such a large disconnect in the presentation and pacing between the opm manga and the rest of ONEs work its easy to come to that particular (false) conclusion.

However: something did change right before the tournament arc. That point is where the paneling and pacing changed dramatically, and for the worse. If you compare the manga prior to that its a much better comic. current stuff is very pretty but lacks the flow and punch of the first half.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EimiYoshikawa posted:

ONE is the writer of the manga. He does storyboards for the manga. He lets Murata jazz it up here and there, because he trusts and respects his partner, but nothing Murata comes up with is unapproved by ONE before it's published.

All these bizarre conspiracy theories that 'Murata is the one responsible for everything in the manga, he's ruining ONE's work' (as an example of the extreme end of the 'Murata is responsible for any deviations between the webcomic and the manga' posts on the internet) are so...eh. I just don't get it. It's weird. ONE is as responsible for what you see in the manga as Murata is, and he's clearly fine with Murata's perfectionism in all the redraws, too, because I doubt Murata would be doing them without ONE's consent.

I mean Murata's habit of going back and redrawing his own redraws is kind of ruining the pacing a little bit but that's only from our current perspective of waiting for them to come out it'll more or less be fine once it's really done

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
friendly reminder that the pacing of a work is not necessarily related to its release schedule

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I haven't enjoyed any panel (without Fubuki) as much as I have the one of Saitama and the lil monster just side eyeing each other.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bleck posted:

friendly reminder that the pacing of a work is not necessarily related to its release schedule

I'd understand it if Murata was working very slowly but the man puts in insane amounts of work. Taking a few weeks to redraw something isn't that big of a delay.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
There's a redraw up for chapter 113: https://guya.moe/proxy/imgur/75n2AVz/1/1/

Also there was a bonus chapter a few weeks ago that I'm not sure if it was posted or not: https://guya.moe/proxy/imgur/xzQprjR/1/1/

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That bonus chapter really helped Pig God's characterization a lot. I don't think we had a lot about him beyond how he liked to eat, but seeing he's a nice guy like that makes me like him a lot more.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

pik_d posted:

There's a redraw up for chapter 113: https://guya.moe/proxy/imgur/75n2AVz/1/1/

Also there was a bonus chapter a few weeks ago that I'm not sure if it was posted or not: https://guya.moe/proxy/imgur/xzQprjR/1/1/

Pig God :3:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pig God is good people.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I legit think Pig God might just be the nicest Hero so far. Yes, even Mumen Rider.

He doesn't say anything bad, he's clearly designed around someone who'd be shunned, he doesn't talk about his philosophy, he just goes and does his duty as a hero. It's such a nice character in the roster.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
blackalloy and zombie man own too, and atomic samurai, and bang

this manga has good characters

and some bad ones

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly it's nice how a good chunk of the S-Rank heroes really are good people.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

ChaseSP posted:

Honestly it's nice how a good chunk of the S-Rank heroes really are good people.

:yeah:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pig God constantly consumes monsters so I can't wait till he breaks his limiter and we see Pig God Requiem.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Its interesting how the redraws are redeeming the mercenaries and saving them.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Revins posted:

blackalloy and zombie man own too, and atomic samurai, and bang

this manga has good characters

and some bad ones

No love for Metal Bat? You’ll make his sister cry...

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What's the best way to read the redraws in the 'new' chronological order? Or do I have to manually search for the imgur links for them and paste them together in my mind?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Finally! A Laugh!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Onepunch-Man - Finally! A Laugh!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Does this mean Iairon turning a fish into sushi isn't canon anymore? Or was that a different fight?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

graham cracker posted:

Its interesting how the redraws are redeeming the mercenaries and saving them.

Yeah, I have to say, I know lots of people aren't into the redraws since it takes away from the momentum of the story, but I see this redraw as a pretty great improvement. I think it does way more to sell the threat of Evil Natural Water (which is shown to be a pretty terrifying monster here), and I actually kind of liked the mercenary redemption.

I believe right after this chapter Saitama is supposed to fight Orochi. I'm very curious to see if any part of it also get's redrawn. From how things left off, I don't think it's necessary at this point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bisse posted:

Onepunch-Man - Finally! A Laugh!

You dont know how long Ive waited for this manga to deliver a good gag.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The little arrow pointing out Flashy Flash's sword in the panel with the giant lair being pulled into the air after it was revealed he was just holding on to it and his arm wasn't trapped in the rocks were two solid Simpsons jokes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
We’re never getting out of this arc

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Flesnolk posted:

We’re never getting out of this arc
I wonder if Garou is ever going to show up again, especially after Tatsumaki obliterated the base.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

I wonder if Garou is ever going to show up again, especially after Tatsumaki obliterated the base.

I think he actually did, a chapter or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I'm watching Season 2 of OPM. It is so cool seeing King in action. Garou is cool.