Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In Yakuza Kiwami 2, there's a sidequest that ends with a giant brawl in an ABDL club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah I've heard of Yakuza but never played any of them until Like A Dragon. I have heard about the goofiness of the games but it was a series I never really paid attention to for whatever even. Ichiban's goofy rear end haircut and changing the gameplay to a turn-based RPG won me over though.

I'm not sure what's funnier about LAD, making all the dudes Breakers and watching them shuffle around the battlefield and then flex on fools with their dance moves or the fact that some of my attacks consist of things such as throwing ashtrays, smushing a birthday cake in their face, or smacking them with a giant pepper mill and then covering them with pepper as my guys scream about their enemy being the secret ingredient.

Definitely trying the other games starting with Yakuza 0 if they are just as goofy as LAD.

0 definitely does.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twitch posted:

In Yakuza Kiwami 2, there's a sidequest that ends with a giant brawl in an ABDL club.

LAD, too. You wind up teaching an overworked salary man a lesson about being there for his wife while she takes care if their baby by beating up the diaper clad yakuza, the boss of whom you can then use as a battle summon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Crowetron posted:

Towards the end of Yakuza 2 a character says "A real man oughta be a little stupid" and drat if that doesn't sum up the entire franchise.

This is also a response you can give in Kiwami 1, during an interview about what makes a badass DILF.

That, by the way, is my favorite Yaluza sidequest. In large part because the questgiver--and interview--appears in a homeless shantytown when it's victim to a violent gang attack. Surrounded by people who are trying to put their lives back together after it's been burned to the ground, around people who have been beaten near to death, is a journalist who only wants to know about one thing: DILFs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Towards the end of Yakuza 2 a character says "A real man oughta be a little stupid" and drat if that doesn't sum up the entire franchise.

*stirs bourbon and gazes wistfully into middle distance*

"baka mitai....."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Oxxidation posted:

*stirs bourbon and gazes wistfully into middle distance*

"baka mitai....."

Majima's roller disco

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yakuza also has the best quality of all long-running, self-referential franchises - moments that will seem inexplicable or bizarre to outsiders and rip series veterans' hearts in half

case in point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SBzLRGWNjA

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

That's missing the second part of the quest, where Kiryu returns to the kid with the info only to find him crying because his dad was kidnapped by ocean-hating Yakuza while he was out researching his report. Kiryu decapitates them both with a bicycle and then they apologize and promise to from this day forward to love and take care of the ocean. The kid and his dad are fine and give Kiryu a piece of tempered glass for his trouble. Kiryu closes his eyes and chides himself for forgetting to ask what the benthic zone actually is.

https://youtu.be/M7L40u-2JpQ

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah I've heard of Yakuza but never played any of them until Like A Dragon. I have heard about the goofiness of the games but it was a series I never really paid attention to for whatever even. Ichiban's goofy rear end haircut and changing the gameplay to a turn-based RPG won me over though.

I'm not sure what's funnier about LAD, making all the dudes Breakers and watching them shuffle around the battlefield and then flex on fools with their dance moves or the fact that some of my attacks consist of things such as throwing ashtrays, smushing a birthday cake in their face, or smacking them with a giant pepper mill and then covering them with pepper as my guys scream about their enemy being the secret ingredient.

Definitely trying the other games starting with Yakuza 0 if they are just as goofy as LAD.

There are a lot of weird little quirks and imbalances in LAD's combat that I hope get ironed out for Yakuza 8, but I will be genuinely upset if they change the absurdly high amount of damage that pepper mill does. It's so good.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

christmas boots posted:

It got memed to hell, but I still love the part of Yakuza 0 where you hire Nugget as a property manager.

In Like A Dragon you get Omelette who is the mascot for the company in the management minigame.

She is a good chicken.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

christmas boots posted:

It got memed to hell, but I still love the part of Yakuza 0 where you hire Nugget as a property manager.

The devs know exactly how much people love Nugget, there's an entire page for Nugget art in one of the pack-in artbooks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zero Punctuation made the joke, but still love that Yakuza Like A Dragon abbreviates to LAD. Because you are a right Yakuza lad.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cleretic posted:

This is also a response you can give in Kiwami 1, during an interview about what makes a badass DILF.

That, by the way, is my favorite Yaluza sidequest. In large part because the questgiver--and interview--appears in a homeless shantytown when it's victim to a violent gang attack. Surrounded by people who are trying to put their lives back together after it's been burned to the ground, around people who have been beaten near to death, is a journalist who only wants to know about one thing: DILFs.

Ah yes, yakuza-sidequesting_2.jpg

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm a big fan of Kiryu answering a phone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIfgvLI0dlI

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

wafflemoose posted:

I hope you enjoy the series but just keep in mind that Yakuza 0 was like the 6th game they made- 10th if you count all the spinoffs- so it's full of a bunch of references to later games, since it's a prequel. Yakuza 1 skews way more serious than 0 does.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing Ghost of Tsushima and it does something I haven't seen another game do with regard to navigation. Instead of an arrow or dot on a line at the top of the screen, it has the wind tell you where to go. You swipe up on the touch pad and just follow the way the wind blows.

Super creative way of having navigation but not having any HUD.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I jumped in on 0 and my level of understanding of Japan comes from dubs of Gaki No Tsukai.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

RareAcumen posted:

I hope you enjoy the series but just keep in mind that Yakuza 0 was like the 6th game they made- 10th if you count all the spinoffs- so it's full of a bunch of references to later games, since it's a prequel. Yakuza 1 skews way more serious than 0 does.

None of the references are necessary to understand anything important though, its mainly just stuff on the level of "What a strange person that was, I wonder if I'll ever see them again?" in side stories. It was my first Yakuza game and at worst there were a couple of moments I went "huh, that was kind of oddly framed... (googles) oh, okay, that guy turns back up in yakuza 3" or similar. I fully maintain that Kiwami works better as a sequel to Y0 than it does as an entry point to the series. With the best will in the world its a remake of a PS2 game, and while they've added a lot, some of the central relationships in the main story dont have room to breathe on their own, but if you have already played Y0 then you know the background, and for my money certain plot beats hit much better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Playing Ghost of Tsushima and it does something I haven't seen another game do with regard to navigation. Instead of an arrow or dot on a line at the top of the screen, it has the wind tell you where to go. You swipe up on the touch pad and just follow the way the wind blows.

Super creative way of having navigation but not having any HUD.

And even if you don't swipe the touchpad for the full gust there's almost always a little wind blowing and it will blow in that same direction.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

And even if you don't swipe the touchpad for the full gust there's almost always a little wind blowing and it will blow in that same direction.

Also you can keep swiping over and over and be a MINOR WIND GOD!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

If people still need convincing about Yakuza games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zGnZtL53Q

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

None of the references are necessary to understand anything important though, its mainly just stuff on the level of "What a strange person that was, I wonder if I'll ever see them again?" in side stories. It was my first Yakuza game and at worst there were a couple of moments I went "huh, that was kind of oddly framed... (googles) oh, okay, that guy turns back up in yakuza 3" or similar. I fully maintain that Kiwami works better as a sequel to Y0 than it does as an entry point to the series. With the best will in the world its a remake of a PS2 game, and while they've added a lot, some of the central relationships in the main story dont have room to breathe on their own, but if you have already played Y0 then you know the background, and for my money certain plot beats hit much better.

I'm on Yakuza 5 right now, and I'd say if for some reason someone's going to play the PS2 originals, then 0 goes between 5 and 6, but if they're going to play the remakes it absolutely goes first.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sounds about right to me. 0 is full of references to the series as was published before it (i.e. Y1-5), but the Kiwami remakes are similarly full of references to 0, so there's not really the one ideal way to play them "in order"*. However, you'll probably get more out of starting with 0.

* unless you do dig out the PS2 originals but don't.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
0 is also easier than Kiwami which was made after it and added a bunch of extra wrinkles like the boss HP regen and overall tougher fights and enemies. It also has some mechanical enhancements like actual autosaves and being able to save anywhere which you'll probably miss going Kiwami > 0.

And it really is a tightly-connected prequel to Kiwami in particular which resolves the plotlines of the majority of 0's main cast and undoubtedly gives 0's whole story a somewhat different air, while as mentioned 0's own references to the future games are mostly relegated to winks and nods in the substories. I don't think you can go super wrong either way but I would certainly play 0 first between the two choices, personally.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A while back I played Halo CE for the first time, as I didn't have an Xbox growing up, and I enjoyed it but I didn't really 'get' it. My stats page says I died 45 times on my first playthrough and I had to drop it down to Easy on the last few levels because I was super burnt out on throwing myself at the enemies only to be insta-killed by chain explosions. I understood why it was so revolutionary but I didn't really have fun playing it and I couldn't figure out why.

Well, I tried it again on Heroic (not Legendary) today and I now see what I was doing wrong. I was being WAY too aggressive, at least partially because of the lovely bullet hose assault rifle training me to get right up in enemies' faces and hold left mouse till they die. Shoving Chief's face against a wall and tapping A and D till only a little of him is sticking out is really lame so I just circle strafed around stuff out in the open and it got me killed a lot.

But it turns out that obviously they knew that wouldn't be a fun way to play, and so presents the little thing here: Nearly everything from battlements to rocks and bushes is Chief shaped, Chief height, Chief width. Pretty much everything you can stand behind will give you cover without requiring you to rub your face on it unless it's a tree or whatever. Once I started to notice just how many things in the game like plants and bushes are perfectly "Master Chief can stand here and point a gun out without his body being exposed" shaped, it clicked.

I'm actually really impressed by how much more fun the game is when you play it 'right' by actually waiting for your shield to charge. I thought the standing around looking at textures would be boring, but they put tons of visual flair into it to make even that aspect of it keep your attention. If you duck behind a wall, enemies will fire AT or PAST the wall so you have something to look at and see where they are while your shield charges.

edit: Moral of the story, the UNSC really should go back to the goddamn drawing board and make a gun that doesn't spit bullets at a 90 degree angle out of the barrel, they made the pistol and that thing rules so just like do that in a bigger caliber!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Feb 17, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That is , at the same time, similar and the opposite to how I enjoyed Borderlands 2. I hated taking cover and waiting for shield recharge, and how enemies, on higher difficulties, could smash your shield and most of your life with one bullet.

Got out of the old Cheat Engine, and filled all three skill trees on Salvador. It's possible for you to still die, but you can sprint into the middle of a camp, and start shooting, and running, and actually take hits.
Combine that with using CE to up drop rates to reasonable levels, and an Assault Rifle that shoots rockets, that drops a grenade when it hits...... poo poo, I want to do another run of BL2 now.
Super chaotic, and an absolute blast.

I think it may say something about me in that all my play throughs of BL1 and 2, I never used anyone but Brick and Salvador.

" OOH, HO HO! NEW TOYS!"

*Incoherent screaming*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Borderlands is actually a huge part of why I played Halo that way, I'm certain. Sprinting around like a madman and only letting your shield recharge because bullets currently are not hitting you is kinda how you're supposed to play those games and I've got about a million hours spent playing them. Games with regenerating health work well when they're action oriented like Borderlands or FEAR 3 for example, but I and I'm sure many people forget that Halo doesn't work that way. You have a shield, and then a health bar. The health doesn't regenerate. In Borderlands your health rockets up and down like a rollercoaster even behind your shield for varying reasons, but in Halo that health is gone forever if it gets plinked off of you. That was why I died so much to grenades, your shield doesn't protect you from them and if you are missing even a little health you may as well be a cooked turkey.

edit: And I've learned too that you can totally be aggressive in Halo if you're choosy about when you do it, which is why the Borderlands playstyle doesn't work. You can't ALWAYS rush a group of enemies because they aren't all equals, there's different ranks of each type of enemy and some of them really don't respond well to having their personal space invaded. Borderlands has that too in spades, but their name and level and current HP all pop up when you mouse over them so it's much easier to decide who to shoot first. In Halo you're encouraged to push groups AFTER taking out the leader because then the little dudes stop firing and scatter, so the rest is cleanup. I had no idea the game had that kind of tactical stuff built into the enemy types, it's really cool.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Feb 17, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's been a long-rear end time since I played any Halo, but I started out on CE (and got really into Marathon lore and Ilovebees). I remember playing 2 and some of 3, with regenerating health, and strongly preferring health-pack health in CE, though I don't think I could say why. Maybe because on lower difficulties, health-pack refills can reward a less methodical, waity playstyle - sometimes you just have to charge for the health and hope for the best.

Halo aside, I was playing AC:Odyssey last week and I've finally, after 35 years, figured out the gameplay I like best: Explore beautiful lands. Climb some of that poo poo. Occasionally stab some guys, but no rush. That's what I ended up enjoying in Skyrim, and that's what had me basically abandon Project Wingman (for a while) for AC:O.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I've moved onto 2 and I'm finding myself also preferring the health bar version of Halo. Having only one bar to monitor but still having two 'layers' of regeneration is a little confusing because your health and shield can regen at the same time, meaning you can be low on health AND shield while both are recharging and it's just sensory overload with all the beeping and flashing at the corners. Most of the problem with the change I think is that Chief has no way to move faster, he just plunks along at his usual pace, so you have to still play the game as if you have health to permanently lose even though you don't anymore. Beig aggressive is way harder now actually because you only have one bar (shield + health) instead of a safety net (shield, then health). Grenades just kill you in one hit now for example.

edit: Also the arm models are stuck to the camera and are way, way, way too close so playing Halo 2 makes me a little nauseous.

It feels to me like Chief is standing like this with his arms pointed straight out in front of him like he's doing a sweet yoga pose or pushing a couch.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Feb 17, 2021

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Phy posted:

Halo aside, I was playing AC:Odyssey last week and I've finally, after 35 years, figured out the gameplay I like best: Explore beautiful lands. Climb some of that poo poo. Occasionally stab some guys, but no rush. That's what I ended up enjoying in Skyrim, and that's what had me basically abandon Project Wingman (for a while) for AC:O.

This is exactly how I feel, and I wish there were more games that really scratch that itch.

I'm on the last part of the island in Ghost of Tsushima now and I'm sad that the loop of "travel through gorgeous biomes, picking up icons and stabbing Mongols" is giving way to mainly story missions.

Just waiting for Valhalla to drop in price a bit but after that I don't really know of any upcoming games in the same genre.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Death Stranding is about exploring beautiful desolation (and making a path where no path previously existed). I also really like the genre you describe.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phy posted:

Explore beautiful lands. Climb some of that poo poo. Occasionally stab some guys, but no rush.
If you haven't played it Shadow of the Colossus would probably be your jam

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Phy posted:

This was why I didn't like Shadows of War, the sequel to the Mordor game. I felt like in Mordor or in the Batman Arkham games that they sort of ripped off, it was pretty easy to travel around the world while avoiding enemies, if you had someplace to be or if you just wanted to cruise around. In Shadows of War there are orcs EVERYWHERE and the world feels a lot smaller, so you are constantly having to fight mobs of low level enemies that pose basically no threat to you but still take some time to kill. I wasn't able to finish the game because I just got tired of having to decapitate 10 orcs for no reason every minute or two. In Arkham City I could see the low level enemy mob and fight them if I wanted, or just grappling hook swing past them if I wanted.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

edit: Moral of the story, the UNSC really should go back to the goddamn drawing board and make a gun that doesn't spit bullets at a 90 degree angle out of the barrel, they made the pistol and that thing rules so just like do that in a bigger caliber!

I only played a wee bit of Halo's campaign plus a buncha multiplayer, via the original PC port, and this was something that frustrated me as well. I believe in the later games they did pretty much do go back to the drawing board and the end result was the tac rifle which people actually like.

Phy posted:

This largely sums up why I like open world games, yeah. There's something really comfy and relaxing about the evenly but not too evenly paced flow of trekking through pretty wilderness -> go to a ? and clear it out -> trek through more wilderness -> do a sidequest -> repeat.

Relatedly, I generally resent needing to use travel methods beyond just running around (or fast traveling, natch). Some distances in AC:O (and Skyrim) are just too much but 98% of the time I'm on foot and soaking in the atmosphere.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Feb 18, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rage 2 was really good and fun with running headfirst into groups of enemies and murdering them all.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

It feels to me like Chief is standing like this with his arms pointed straight out in front of him like he's doing a sweet yoga pose or pushing a couch.

this is canonically how the chief holds his guns. play some.multiplayer and you will see...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

A while back I played Halo CE for the first time, as I didn't have an Xbox growing up, and I enjoyed it but I didn't really 'get' it. My stats page says I died 45 times on my first playthrough and I had to drop it down to Easy on the last few levels because I was super burnt out on throwing myself at the enemies only to be insta-killed by chain explosions. I understood why it was so revolutionary but I didn't really have fun playing it and I couldn't figure out why.

Well, I tried it again on Heroic (not Legendary) today and I now see what I was doing wrong. I was being WAY too aggressive, at least partially because of the lovely bullet hose assault rifle training me to get right up in enemies' faces and hold left mouse till they die. Shoving Chief's face against a wall and tapping A and D till only a little of him is sticking out is really lame so I just circle strafed around stuff out in the open and it got me killed a lot.

But it turns out that obviously they knew that wouldn't be a fun way to play, and so presents the little thing here: Nearly everything from battlements to rocks and bushes is Chief shaped, Chief height, Chief width. Pretty much everything you can stand behind will give you cover without requiring you to rub your face on it unless it's a tree or whatever. Once I started to notice just how many things in the game like plants and bushes are perfectly "Master Chief can stand here and point a gun out without his body being exposed" shaped, it clicked.

I'm actually really impressed by how much more fun the game is when you play it 'right' by actually waiting for your shield to charge. I thought the standing around looking at textures would be boring, but they put tons of visual flair into it to make even that aspect of it keep your attention. If you duck behind a wall, enemies will fire AT or PAST the wall so you have something to look at and see where they are while your shield charges.

The smart way to play any of the pre-Halo 4 Halo's is to cling for dear life to either the Magnum, the Designated Marksman's Rifle (DMR), or the Battle Rifle as your primary and ditch the assault rifle ASAP when fighting against Covenant. Any of those will oneshot with a headshot on ANY difficulty level, and your alternate weapon's often best being any Covenant weapon you can find to spray down shields with (The Needler's great for the accumulated detonation).

I also find playing with the Grunt Birthday Skull on to be a huge help, because knowing you've actually popped one and can ignore it is huge for taking out groups of the little shits.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The DMR is one of like 4-5 guns in any sci-fi game that feels and looks believable as a service weapon and satisfying as hell to shoot

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You may not like it but this is what the peak space marine body looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sally posted:

this is canonically how the chief holds his guns. play some.multiplayer and you will see...

It was pointed out to me that on the box art he's actually standing almost exactly the way I drew him with that wholly unnecessary deep squat and I'm kind of astounded