Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

So it's been like a decade since I last played minecraft and I don't really know where to start. Do I just grab Curseforge and download whatever modpack has the most stuff from it?

You could start by reading the OP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

It happened because capitalism, and the other option would be like...Technic, which the main modloader devs don't like because grr, argh, goons.

Gotta get those adfly pennies.

It'd be nice if Nexus had Minecraft mod hosting. At least they don't suck.

Constructive Critisicm

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

It happened because capitalism, and the other option would be like...Technic, which the main modloader devs don't like because grr, argh, goons.

I forgot to mention this but I think half of minecraft modding drama is "grr argh goons" I think?

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
Still chewing on the ideas and trying some implementations. Vanilla's pathfinding system is labyrinthine and more than half obfuscated still. Some of the Forge patches that would make it easy to do what I want are decrepit and obsolete. I guess I get to see how long it takes for them to review a tiny and self-evident pull request.

I suspect CurseForge got the Bezos Stare.

The 'arrgh goons' thing I think was mostly about intellectual property claims and adfly pennies anyway, because goons basically pioneered the idea of a tailored modpack for distribution and that meant people weren't going to 15 sites and watching ads at each one to get everything they needed to play on their friend's server. FTB's meteoric rise was through (badly, at first) copying technic's model and marketing itself entirely on 'we're the ones that ASKED PERMISSION first!' as if IP and consent have anything in common.

The money is a nice bonus for a hobby project but it's definitely not enough to live on, even if you're one of the top downloaded. CurseForge probably shells out around $300 a month in Amazon funbucks to the JEI and JourneyMap teams.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 12, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SugarAddict posted:

I forgot to mention this but I think half of minecraft modding drama is "grr argh goons" I think?

There's a comic about this...

Clairetic posted:

Still chewing on the ideas and trying some implementations. Vanilla's pathfinding system is labyrinthine and more than half obfuscated still. Some of the Forge patches that would make it easy to do what I want are decrepit and obsolete. I guess I get to see how long it takes for them to review a tiny and self-evident pull request.

I suspect CurseForge got the Bezos Stare.

The 'arrgh goons' thing I think was mostly about intellectual property claims and adfly pennies anyway, because goons basically pioneered the idea of a tailored modpack for distribution and that meant people weren't going to 15 sites and watching ads at each one to get everything they needed to play on their friend's server. FTB's meteoric rise was through (badly, at first) copying technic's model and marketing itself entirely on 'we're the ones that ASKED PERMISSION first!' as if IP and consent have anything in common.

The money is a nice bonus for a hobby project but it's definitely not enough to live on, even if you're one of the top downloaded. CurseForge probably shells out around $300 a month in Amazon funbucks to the JEI and JourneyMap teams.

Not anymore, they don't! :D

The rest of this post is correct, up to and including that one time CovertJaguar tried to sue StealthArcher.

E: I had a wild thought about your pritivism mod. What if you could learn to see spirits by doing hallucinogenics? Modify pufferfish to not give you nausea but othersight, add the same effect to uncooked white mushrooms and some kind of chopped cactus?

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 12, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Belatedly, Nexus has been around for years and still doesn't have support for tagging/displaying 'this mod works on this version of this game', so it's 110% useless for hosting Minecraft mods on anyway.

Any replacement to Curseforge would also need.. all the features of Curseforge minimum.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

Not anymore, they don't! :D
They do! You have to claim them in $10 or $20 increments and the supply is limited but they do keep adding more of them to the rewards page and I rarely see them run out. I tried to claim some payout via PayPal after the switch over to Overwolf and waited 3 weeks with no result so i opted for the amazon gift card payout instead.

dragonshardz posted:

CovertJaguar tried to sue StealthArcher.
I dunno... 'tried' is pretty generous. As I recall, CJ put a copyright claim on github support against their modpack's project which they failed to legally follow up on, so GitHub was like, okay, well I guess this isn't going anywhere so here's your project back.

Anyway, IC2 devs being assholes was what drove me to make my own mod back then so silver linings for me I guess.

dragonshardz posted:

E: I had a wild thought about your pritivism mod. What if you could learn to see spirits by doing hallucinogenics? Modify pufferfish to not give you nausea but othersight, add the same effect to uncooked white mushrooms and some kind of chopped cactus?
I actually was leaning really heavily in this direction back in the day, but people expressed concerns about like, the fact that possibly 80% of the audience is children whose parents might take issue with it. So I want to do it but it might have to be abstracted out a little bit into 'potions' and 'infusions' so it doesn't look too much like real world drug use. That's part of the reason I was thinking about ways to cook and stew stuff over a campfire - I had a 'tea kettle' item (which has been supplanted by clay pots due to the overworld focus) for brewing those sorts of ingredients into magical tea/juice.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 12, 2021

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Clairetic posted:

I dunno... 'tried' is pretty generous. As I recall, CJ put a copyright claim on github support against their modpack's project which they failed to legally follow up on, so GitHub was like, okay, well I guess this isn't going anywhere so here's your project back.

I still remember when this happened and our multiplayer server got taken down altogether. RIP Plus+ multiplayer, it was fun.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

I still remember when this happened and our multiplayer server got taken down altogether. RIP Plus+ multiplayer, it was fun.

What really? That sucks. I thought StealthArcher managed to get it back up and running after the momentum petered out.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've gotta see if my old desktop has an intact Plus+ or Sigma install, I don't know if they could be recreated at all nowadays

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Clairetic posted:

What really? That sucks. I thought StealthArcher managed to get it back up and running after the momentum petered out.

If he did then I didn't know about it. And if he wants to do it again, I'm renting a server he can use to do it again.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

I actually was leaning really heavily in this direction back in the day, but people expressed concerns about like, the fact that possibly 80% of the audience is children whose parents might take issue with it. So I want to do it but it might have to be abstracted out a little bit into 'potions' and 'infusions' so it doesn't look too much like real world drug use. That's part of the reason I was thinking about ways to cook and stew stuff over a campfire - I had a 'tea kettle' item (which has been supplanted by clay pots due to the overworld focus) for brewing those sorts of ingredients into magical tea/juice.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be directly eating hallucinogens. :D

Brewing mushrooms/pufferfish/cactus slices into Magic Tea is sane. I was thinking more along the lines of how some tribal societies use/d them, y'know?

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah, it doesn't have to be directly eating hallucinogens. :D

Brewing mushrooms/pufferfish/cactus slices into Magic Tea is sane. I was thinking more along the lines of how some tribal societies use/d them, y'know?

Yeah. Some of them anyway. Not gonna have anyone drink hallucinogenic piss. Even though that's actually safer and cleaner than being the one to eat the raw mushroom.

I have a mycology nerd contemplating new mushroom types and mechanics, so hopefully that will go somewhere.

Pufferfish weren't added until 1.13 so they weren't on my radar at the time but using them for a similar thing is a really good idea, I'll add them to the list.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Clairetic posted:

I mean, i made like 5 more Plus i/OMPi servers over the years following.

As for the other part, i no longer possess anything from then, but as a lawyer would say, someone filed something to notify someone else. The court then threw this out and nothing ever happened.

Allegedly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

clearly what this mod needs is a fugu preparation minigame

it can be like the terrafirmacraft anvil minigame, except failure is deadly :haw:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sounds great in mp.

Totally a licensed chef.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Clairetic posted:

I remember finding out so many kids were playing Baby's First Space Race and I had to quickly audit all the quests to make sure I wasn't cursing like a sailor.

Regarding boozing it up, what if you just consumed whatever and it hit you when you went to sleep? Like a dream or something.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember finding out so many kids were playing Baby's First Space Race and I had to quickly audit all the quests to make sure I wasn't cursing like a sailor.

Regarding boozing it up, what if you just consumed whatever and it hit you when you went to sleep? Like a dream or something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

reddit dot tga

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

A very difficult decision.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

please dont

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

This took more effort than I expected but now I understand Forge Capabilities, mob AI goals, and a bit more about pathing, particles, and sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVvtkYS-v0

The fantasy - Water slowly drips down from the basin on top and onto the hotplate, boiling off with a hiss and making the creeper think it's a real cat (in case you didn't know, real cats also scare creepers away). I think I might be able to represent that better with a few more adjustments but... so far so good.

Caveat - I know it's another 'magic block that you place down and it just does the thing' but I don't want to make people do a bunch of engineering just to make their campfire safe to dance at.

Other stuff - Skeletons can still shoot you through your ring of salt and spiders still get aggressive, but we're getting there. Spiders don't aggro at light level 11+ so doing the light ritual might help.

Coding - I figured having every creeper constantly searching their environment for cat statues or vice versa would be needlessly inefficient, so someone suggested attaching a Capability (essentially glorified NBT tags, but they automatically persist and present a uniform interface which is convenient) to chunks that keeps a list of cat statues inside that chunk, and having creepers use that as a lookup table and just check whether any nearby statues have water & fuel whenever they get an AI update. The result seems to be pretty efficient and robust.

--

While testing this I got kind of annoyed having to fill in creeper holes and I'm kinda tempted to make a type of minor earth spirit that can detect and fill in creeper holes somehow

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 14, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You could look at using something like https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/hole-filler-mod for that functionality perhaps.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Clairetic posted:

This took more effort than I expected but now I understand Forge Capabilities, mob AI goals, and a bit more about pathing, particles, and sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVvtkYS-v0

The fantasy - Water slowly drips down from the basin on top and onto the hotplate, boiling off with a hiss and making the creeper think it's a real cat (in case you didn't know, real cats also scare creepers away). I think I might be able to represent that better with a few more adjustments but... so far so good.

Caveat - I know it's another 'magic block that you place down and it just does the thing' but I don't want to make people do a bunch of engineering just to make their campfire safe to dance at.

Other stuff - Skeletons can still shoot you through your ring of salt and spiders still get aggressive, but we're getting there. Spiders don't aggro at light level 11+ so doing the light ritual might help.

Coding - I figured having every creeper constantly searching their environment for cat statues or vice versa would be needlessly inefficient, so someone suggested attaching a Capability (essentially glorified NBT tags, but they automatically persist and present a uniform interface which is convenient) to chunks that keeps a list of cat statues inside that chunk, and having creepers use that as a lookup table and just check whether any nearby statues have water & fuel whenever they get an AI update. The result seems to be pretty efficient and robust.

--

While testing this I got kind of annoyed having to fill in creeper holes and I'm kinda tempted to make a type of minor earth spirit that can detect and fill in creeper holes somehow

Nice!

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
I've been playing around with Heavens Of Sorcery. It's pretty fun since I never really did use magic mods (aside from Botania's hourglass), but I'm having a small problem that I can't solve and googling it reveals nothing: you're supposed to get Devil Dust by throwing blocks of Redstone into a fire, but it's not working for me. They stay in the fire and the particles usually accompanying transformation appear, but nothing happens.

Has anyone come across this too? Am I supposed to do it in a specific dimension? Light the fire with a specific item?

(I wanted to make a new recipe using CraftTweaker's GUI, but it won't let me and I have no idea how to script it.)

EDIT: Okay, it turns it just takes a really long time. So long that it *feels* like a bug, but isn't.

DawnOfMinstrel fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 15, 2021

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Its been awhile since I've played HoS, but I don't remember using redstone blocks. Have you tried redstone dust in a fire (and by fire, I mean just a block of coal/charcoal that has been ignited and never burns out?)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah wasn't it redstone dust, not blocks?

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Tried that, it just burns the redstone up. I think the recipe uses blocks by default to avoid conflict with Flux Networks.

And, like I said in the edit, blocks do work, only you have to wait for a very long time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh yes, it is Old Mod Time

Old setup on the right, new setup on the left

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Wh...what are you doing

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OniPanda posted:

Wh...what are you doing

making lots of tree

for lots of wood

Those are oak bonsai plants for IC2 crops. They give as much as an average tree, but lag like a billion times less since they don't have to do world scans when they are ready to grow.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh yes, it is Old Mod Time

Old setup on the right, new setup on the left

Is that a Forestry multifarm thing? I've never built one; always thought it sounded too hard or something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

Is that a Forestry multifarm thing? I've never built one; always thought it sounded too hard or something.

Yeah. They're actually pretty easy to make. The hard part is coming up with the fertilizer to keep it going, but I've just been manually making it for now.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Ambaire posted:

It's funny how one can look at a farm layout and immediately know the mod being used.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
aaaaaaaa I miss Lag Goggles I hate not knowing what's going on with my 1.16 server why is its TPS being destroooooooyed aaaaaaaa

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I've never hosed with forestry farms either. I dont know what kind of documentation on it I need to see, but i haven't seen it yet

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Part 1 of a new Create series for some of the new changes to the mod.

It's mostly what we've seen before though he does whip through it a lot quicker.
He does state the crushing wheel can 'potentially' do up to 5x ore crushing/washing now.
Though it looks like we have a smaller 'mill' version to do first before we get to the wheel now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrpqvCLMEk

Was also watching a Xisuma video for 1.17
Where we get an extra 64 blocks above and below what we already have now.
So underground will be 128 deep with sweet, sweet caves.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Crushing wheel turns ore into 1 + (0 to 2) ore chunks. Ore chunks can be blasted into ingots, or washed into 10+(0 to 5) nuggets.

Also millstone only turns ore into a single nugget.

So it is possible to turn an iron ore into 45 iron nuggets maximum, but very unlikely. You're more likely to barely double output.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 16, 2021

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Black Pants posted:

Crushing wheel turns ore into 1 + (0 to 2) ore chunks. Ore chunks can be blasted into ingots, or washed into 10+(0 to 5) nuggets.

Also millstone only turns ore into a single nugget.

So it is possible to turn an iron ore into 45 iron nuggets maximum, but very unlikely. You're more likely to barely double output.

Think you mean millstone only turns ore into a single chunk but yeah, it's not consistent ore doubling.

While loving around in creative mode I managed to design a compact water wheel powered double millstone into washer into chest that fits in a 3x4x5 volume for early game, though it'll have clogging issues from too many nuggets if you throw stacks of ore in. I should see if I can expand the design to include a press to combine the nuggets into ingots automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
here's a question that might not fit: what are some good things i could add clientside when playing on a vanilla server (with some datapacks?)

it's 1.16.5 and i did grab optifine at least, but it's been so long since i played on a server that i don't even know what my options are. are there inventory-sorting-hotkey mods still?