Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I generally agree about lemon and sugar, but homemade jam (Corb-style) also ranks highly.

Only remembered after I'd already made toast for breakfast, so we'll be having pancakes for pudding tonight. Maybe savoury pancakes for dinner? Hmmmm

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stev posted:

Plain, sugar, lemon, lemon and sugar. In that order.

you think the best pancake type is untopped?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sweet pancakes are fine but I will be focusing on creamy garlic and mushrooms in mine.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There is no one best topping. Cinnamon and sugar is good. Lemon juice and sugar is good. Maple syrup is good.

Most mornings my wife has a chickpea flour pancake (v easy and v good, savoury or sweet), and tops them with tahini and date syrup, which is absolutely amazing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Now that you're talking savoury I might make some feta and spinach pancakes tonight, maybe a little pesto or roasted peppers or something

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
if you think about it, peter andre in that video was merely doing a muscled truffle shuffle

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you think the best pancake type is untopped?

Nah that's the order you should eat them. :jerky:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

Only remembered after I'd already made toast for breakfast, so we'll be having pancakes for pudding tonight. Maybe savoury pancakes for dinner? Hmmmm
Come lift with us in YLLS, you too could eat 3 breakfasts & 2 lunches

I actually really wanted to make ham egg & cheese galettes today but couldn't find any buckwheat at the weekend :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Golden syrup.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm about halfway through reading The Constant Rabbit, and I need to know if it's a powerful allegory about the nature of law and being indigenous or if the author just really wants to gently caress the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny? Because I'm getting mixed messages and I'd like a heads up if it's going to become that kind of fiction.

crispix posted:

if you think about it, peter andre in that video was merely doing a muscled truffle shuffle
A mussel shuffle?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TACD posted:

I was under the impression that a key difference between UK and US law is that not talking to the police after you’ve been arrested can be actively used against you over here?

Yes and No.

Going "No Comment" throughout your entire interview is not something that they can bring up against you
What they can do is if you rely on a defence (like "Yes I did kill Craig Staircase. But only because he said he'd kill me first.") And the first time thus comes out is in court, the prosecution will ask "if that's true why is this the first time we are hearing of it?"

The position of Irish Law (and I imagine it's the same in the UK) is that if you want to rely on the defence of an Alibi you have to do that well in advance of a criminal trial. That doesn't mean it has to be said in the police station when you are arrested but just be done within 14 days of you being remanded to the Circuit or Criminal court. (So the police are afforded the opportunity to see if that could be true.)

Also (again Irish Law) certain Terrorism offences (mostly organized crime or IRA membership) have provisions where if you do not answer, they can be used as evidence against you.*
But they have to individually warn you for each question that caries this risk.

There are also certain offences for failing to provide details (if a guard makes a specific demand for your name or address under specific legislation. Or failing to provide a breath/blood/urine specimen in drink/drug driving cases.)

But generally silence is the best policy until you talk to a lawyer.

*= With the provision that you cannot be convicted on inference evidence alone.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Question IRL posted:

Or failing to provide a breath/blood/urine specimen in drink/drug driving cases.
A barrister once told me that breathalysers aren't admissible so you should always call bullshit on them to buy yourself a few hours' metabolising whilst they sort out a blood test

but I think a better solution is that drink driving is bad mmkay

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Right to Silence in England and Wales:

- don't talk to police unless you have been accused of committing a criminal offence. That basically means until you've been charged don't cooperate.
- if you are charged politely but firmly advise that you are not prepared to discuss the charges until you have taken advice from a solicitor.
- be aware that your silence may be used to infer something about your case. However silence alone is not enough to convict you, they need to have other evidence. Also it is the judges discretion to direct the jury to make an inference (however judges are scum so don't rely on then to help you.)
- you are expected to reveal if you have an alibi. You are also expected to explain objects or marks that appear to link you to the crime (example, you have a bloody knife and someone just got stabbed). Failure to do so could infer that you for example were waiting to invent an alibi or trying to explain away the reason for having the murder weapon.
- your right to silence is extremely limited to the point of non-existence if you are charged with serious fraud or terrorism.
- your right to silence does not extend to refusing to give passwords to electronic devices.

Essentially in Britain silence is a gift given to you by the state, and they can find a way to withdraw that gift if they want because this country is poo poo.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm about halfway through reading The Constant Rabbit, and I need to know if it's a powerful allegory about the nature of law and being indigenous or if the author just really wants to gently caress the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny? Because I'm getting mixed messages and I'd like a heads up if it's going to become that kind of fiction.

I think I'm more than halfway through but got distracted, so...maybe both?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Right on topic, this morning a copper/PCSO duo tried to talk to me and a friend because we were chatting as our dogs played in the park. I said is anything wrong officer and he said no I just want to give you some advice. I said no thank you and turned and walked away! Genuinely expected to be tackled to the ground, it was very exhilarating.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Borrovan posted:

A barrister once told me that breathalysers aren't admissible so you should always call bullshit on them to buy yourself a few hours' metabolising whilst they sort out a blood test

but I think a better solution is that drink driving is bad mmkay

sucking a penny is the best one because not only does it not work most pennies are the most grotty things you could conceivably come across

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Right to Silence in England and Wales:

- your right to silence does not extend to refusing to give passwords to electronic devices.

I didn't know this, I thought you could decline to provide a password (hence smarter to use than biometrics), but that's probably from reading American internet.

I'm assuming this is one of the many, many things they've pushed through as 'anti-terrorism', of course.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It requires a judge which is effort so they're more likely to just mug you when your device is unlocked if they want something off it.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

You can decline to give passwords most of the time, there are specific circumstances where you can be compelled but they aren't powers that are used on a whim

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was in work yesterday and we had a delay getting onto the track as there were machines working where we were going to work so I was potching about cleaning the canteen up a bit. One of the younger lads was sitting down browsing through his phone when another, more senior, lad said he should get up and at least try and look busy and the younger lad said 'what's the point?' and the other lad just shook his head. But the younger lad was right, what's the point in looking busy if there's nothing to do? I was just cleaning up some spilt water and milk and taking out a full black bag, there really wasn't anything else to do. I've always thought it was strange how important it is to 'look busy'.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I mean it sounds like he was busy. For all the other guy knew he was doing career-related research on his phone

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Well surely that just means that they will focus on the most important and serious crimes...

It's good of the police to warn us that sweets bought from drug dealers might contain drugs

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Now that you're talking savoury I might make some feta and spinach pancakes tonight, maybe a little pesto or roasted peppers or something

Those chickpea pancakes are amazing if you have them with harissa-roasted tomatoes and Greek yoghurt. (Mix harissa, oil and balsamic, dress tomatoes, roast slowly in low oven).

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

I didn't know this, I thought you could decline to provide a password (hence smarter to use than biometrics), but that's probably from reading American internet.

I'm assuming this is one of the many, many things they've pushed through as 'anti-terrorism', of course.

I mean as the other posters said it involves paperwork so the police will probably just steal it off you anyways, but not providing passwords when requested is a criminal offence of its own under the RIPA.

Which technically means you could be charged and founf innocent of an offence but still go to prison for not providing a password during the course of that investigation. (I doubt this would actually happen but the police and CPS are cunts).

Oh also (I forgot this one) it's a criminal offence not to provide a copper with your name and address of they suspect you of being anti-social.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

bessantj posted:

Was in work yesterday and we had a delay getting onto the track as there were machines working where we were going to work so I was potching about cleaning the canteen up a bit. One of the younger lads was sitting down browsing through his phone when another, more senior, lad said he should get up and at least try and look busy and the younger lad said 'what's the point?' and the other lad just shook his head. But the younger lad was right, what's the point in looking busy if there's nothing to do? I was just cleaning up some spilt water and milk and taking out a full black bag, there really wasn't anything else to do. I've always thought it was strange how important it is to 'look busy'.

Funny, I've just been listening to Bullshit Jobs which goes into this phenomenon at length. Two relevant things are the fact that employers (and their bootlickers) believe they are buying the employee's time ("you're on my time now, so look busy"), and that this is the natural way of employment rather than a recent thing specific to our society; and that humans actually work better in bursts, rather than having to pretend to maintain a constant pace throughout the time.

This seems to make most employers utterly unable to deal with a) the concept of paying someone to stand by in case something happens, and b) as in your case, the concept of there being nothing to do right now.

For a counterexample, in theatre land there was once literally nothing we could do for several hours while the carpenters did some work, so we went to the cinema and watched a film. Followed by an intense burst of electrics later. Good times.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

Convex posted:

It's good of the police to warn us that sweets bought from drug dealers might contain drugs

How are you going to mistake them for regular sweets when they cost £25 a bag?

Are people still under the impression that 'drug pushers' will give away doses for free to 'hook' new customers? Those days a) are long gone and b) never happened.

Also, there is no mention of where they came from. Come on coppers, I need a hookup. Try not being bastards for a day.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I always remember the police coming in and telling us not to use temporary tattoos as drug dealers use them to trick kids into getting addicted to LSD.

Just so completely bafflingly bollocks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

frankenbeans posted:

How are you going to mistake them for regular sweets when they cost £25 a bag?

You might be in the cinema.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I always remember the police coming in and telling us not to use temporary tattoos as drug dealers use them to trick kids into getting addicted to LSD.

I like the massive hole in the logical sequence here

- Puts on temporary tattoo
- "Woah I feel funny"
- ????
- "Better go buy some LSD"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I mean it sounds like he was busy. For all the other guy knew he was doing career-related research on his phone

Tbh I was glad he was on his phone playing music so I had something to listen to while I cleaned up.

Bobstar posted:

Funny, I've just been listening to Bullshit Jobs which goes into this phenomenon at length. Two relevant things are the fact that employers (and their bootlickers) believe they are buying the employee's time ("you're on my time now, so look busy"), and that this is the natural way of employment rather than a recent thing specific to our society; and that humans actually work better in bursts, rather than having to pretend to maintain a constant pace throughout the time.

This seems to make most employers utterly unable to deal with a) the concept of paying someone to stand by in case something happens, and b) as in your case, the concept of there being nothing to do right now.

For a counterexample, in theatre land there was once literally nothing we could do for several hours while the carpenters did some work, so we went to the cinema and watched a film. Followed by an intense burst of electrics later. Good times.

That reminded me of a shift where we had completed the job but still had 3 hours left in the shift so the guy in charge said we'd go and do some ballast work on a piece of track that was going to get ripped up in five days time because we were, as he put it, "on my time." Which was loving stupid because he could have got to go home early as well. He just wanted to look good for his bosses even if the work was completely pointless. Something about maximising value and productivity makes people come up with insane ideas.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

Tbh I was glad he was on his phone playing music so I had something to listen to while I cleaned up.

That reminded me of a shift where we had completed the job but still had 3 hours left in the shift so the guy in charge said we'd go and do some ballast work on a piece of track that was going to get ripped up in five days time because we were, as he put it, "on my time." Which was loving stupid because he could have got to go home early as well. He just wanted to look good for his bosses even if the work was completely pointless. Something about maximising value and productivity makes people come up with insane ideas.

It all comes down to lazy management / people who don't know how to manage. As they've never been shown they manage the only way they can - by monitoring the time spent on 'tasks', rather than the outcomes.

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that the idea of paying for 'time' from workers in general wasn't really a thing until the invention of the assembly line and affordable clocks, until then people would be paid a piecemeal rate depending on bushels of corn collected etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Is LSD addiction even a thing?

That whole "police come to school to scare you off drugs" thing was a good lesson in don't believe their lies vis a vis the polis

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobstar posted:

I like the massive hole in the logical sequence here

- Puts on temporary tattoo
- "Woah I feel funny"
- ????
- "Better go buy some LSD"

That hole is where the dealer slithers out from the shadows in the alleyway and explains that the first hit was free but the next will cost them. Unfortunately the kids have literally no money and go back to Roblox or whatever it is kids do these days.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks again for reminding me what day it is Seb, great excuse to have an hour off work, we enjoyed that :)

Jel Shaker posted:

sucking a penny is the best one because not only does it not work most pennies are the most grotty things you could conceivably come across
Deliberately infecting yourself with Covid so the coppers don't want to breathalyse you, smart move imo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think the danger is kids finding this stuff that their parents bought (even if they think they have hidden it). When I was a kid I would have absolutely nicked a sweet if I thought I could get away with it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Red Oktober posted:

It all comes down to lazy management / people who don't know how to manage. As they've never been shown they manage the only way they can - by monitoring the time spent on 'tasks', rather than the outcomes.

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that the idea of paying for 'time' from workers in general wasn't really a thing until the invention of the assembly line and affordable clocks, until then people would be paid a piecemeal rate depending on bushels of corn collected etc.

Yeah Graeber goes into this a lot. Good book so far, definitely worth a read/listen. For some reason I thought it was quite an old book (like maybe from 10 years ago, in the late 90s, according to my broken timebrain), but it's actually from 2018. Maybe I saw references to the 2013 essay it's based on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

That whole "police come to school to scare you off drugs" thing was a good lesson in don't believe their lies vis a vis the polis
We never had that, but we did have:
• Former addict comes to tell us 'just the facts' which apparently includes 'cannabis is the most dangerous gateway drug ever' which ruins all the rest of the message just a bit.
• Screw comes to tell us how prison life is including how inmates make things out of a toothbrush, a disposable razor, and a cigarette lighter to give nonces marks, which I guess was supposed to be a 'prison is violent' message but just led to lads going down Superdrug at lunch and getting stuff to do that, I don't know what else they expected to happen.
• Chemistry teacher goes on a derail about how drugs work that's actually interesting but I don't think was on the social responsibility sheet, he just went in his own direction. More of this imo, I can still remember why levomethamphetamine is a good decongestant but dextromethamphetamine can cause increased risk of Parkinson's type neurological deterioration.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

if i were trying to stop kids doing drugs i would just show them that all the nazis were on meth so if you do meth you will end up losing world war 3 and you don't want to become a loser do you?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Amusingly my first lesson in "don't trust the police" was at primary school when a policeman came in, in uniform, to give us a talk. The head introduced him, then he said he'd bought sweets in for everyone, so we all rushed in to grab some. He then stopped us and said that we shouldn't take sweets from someone we didn't know.

Thanks, 80s policeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/A_Hess/status/1361326309117411331?s=20

loving hell