Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

OR MY SON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

also CDC saying ~1 in 100,000 are having an adverse reaction to the covid vaccination. that's higher than flu vaccination, but still ridiculously low. that's what, ~250 people in australia?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-16/scott-morrison-apologises-over-staffer-rape-allegation-handling/13158326

Scott Morrisson apologises to woman who was raped saying "I'm sorry you were raped. But nobody told me. And I have now implemented a policy where I have told people to try not to rape anyone. Coz as a father, I wouldn't want my daughters to be raped either."

This is a horriffic situation and it sucks that it is not getting the attention it deserves.

One of the more horrible parts for me is that after this woman was raped, she was called into the very room where she was raped, (the minister's office), to discuss her allegations. Once again reliving her trauma.

None of it is good, none of it is right. And it sucks enormous amounts of arse that there are/were not better procedures in place to help this young woman.

Oh, and this should go unsaid, but gently caress the rapist, and the culture that allowed him to think he could get away with rape.

I’m shocked, shocked, to find that there is gambling going on in here.

It’s a terrible disgrace that just like in other male dominated fields such as banking and medicine, young woman (yes it happens to everyone but it’s overwhelmingly happening to young woman) are forced to choose between the possibility of a successful career and seeing justice served. Pursuing the “avenues for support offered” are career suicide.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
I think people need to realise that even with the vaccines - it is highly likely, if not certain that covid isn't going to go away. It may become less or more virulent or infectious over different years dependent on strains but it will hardly be newsworthy anymore (unless there's a bad year), but it won't be suddenly eliminated like small pox was - which took 200 years. The borders will eventually have to open.

The whole point of the lockdown and social distancing and closing borders was to not have the vast majority of the population get smashed with a disease that 100% of the population is vulnerable to. Vaccines will provide enough protection that a whole slew of people won't die every day for a year or two until herd immunity is reached.

I predict next year is going to be pretty cooked as cases of influenza have been basically non-existent since the introduction of lockdowns and quarantine for international travelers. Which is loving astounding seeing there were over 700 deaths from flu in 2019)
Unfortunately the vulnerable people that didn't die from flu last year or this year are going to be hit VERY hard when international travel occurs again and social distancing isn't a thing anymore, or if enough people don't get the fluvax or the fluvax doesn't cover the dominant flu type that's circulating.

And yes - people who are immunocompromised are responsible for their own health and welfare when it comes to airborne/droplet viruses and bacteria. Nothing is really going to change for one of my friends with cystic fibrosis who's had a double lung transplant. These people constantly have to be careful with hygiene etc. It's not libertarian thought - it's one based in reality.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

BrigadierSensible posted:

One of the more horrible parts for me is that after this woman was raped, she was called into the very room where she was raped, (the minister's office), to discuss her allegations. Once again reliving her trauma.
I can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere. Very horrible if true.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Budzilla posted:

I can't seem to find this mentioned anywhere. Very horrible if true.

Scotty apologised for it explicitly

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Pleasant Friend posted:

Are you sure about that? I think a significant proportion of society is desperate to get back to 'normal' as soon as possible, some of the population, including a few politicians, were willing to open up with no vaccine at all. This being an election year, it makes it even harder to tell the public that the AZ vaccine isn't going to be enough to open borders.

I'm not sure about anything, but reasonably confident, yeah. "Normal" in Australia post-COVID means being able to travel interstate again for holidays and to see family; most people I think won't gripe too much about not travelling overseas for another year or two because most of us don't do it every year anyway, unless we're going to Bali or Thailand (easily swapped for Cairns or Fiji, if we get a Pacific bubble) or unless we're in the hyper-rich 5% who go skiing in Europe every year (and who gives a gently caress about them). There is enough (misjudged IMO) wariness of the AZ vaccine already floating around that I think if the government says "it doesn't prevent transmission enough to achieve herd immunity so lots of us are still vulnerable until we can source enough Pfizer," then most people will accept that.

Also it's not just an on/off binary - we could maintain hotel quarantine in varying forms, let international students in from China and Vietnam and other relatively safe countries, permit Australians to depart the country on the understanding that they still have to quarantine on return (plenty of people going overseas for longer work contracts or backpacking trips would be okay with that). No matter when or how it happens I expect it will be quite gradual.

Re: political pressure, it's not an election year - that's 2022 - and anyway I don't think open-the-borders sentiment will be sharp enough to swing an election. The only harping on about opening up comes from the danker parts of state-based Liberal parties and out-of-favour types like Abbott. On both a federal and a state level the government response has been broadly bipartisan and competent and I don't expect that to change.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

i’m sure it was a genuine apology too

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

alf_pogs posted:

OK.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

MythLisp posted:

I think people need to realise that even with the vaccines - it is highly likely, if not certain that covid isn't going to go away. It may become less or more virulent or infectious over different years dependent on strains but it will hardly be newsworthy anymore (unless there's a bad year), but it won't be suddenly eliminated like small pox was - which took 200 years. The borders will eventually have to open.

The whole point of the lockdown and social distancing and closing borders was to not have the vast majority of the population get smashed with a disease that 100% of the population is vulnerable to. Vaccines will provide enough protection that a whole slew of people won't die every day for a year or two until herd immunity is reached.

I predict next year is going to be pretty cooked as cases of influenza have been basically non-existent since the introduction of lockdowns and quarantine for international travelers. Which is loving astounding seeing there were over 700 deaths from flu in 2019)
Unfortunately the vulnerable people that didn't die from flu last year or this year are going to be hit VERY hard when international travel occurs again and social distancing isn't a thing anymore, or if enough people don't get the fluvax or the fluvax doesn't cover the dominant flu type that's circulating.

And yes - people who are immunocompromised are responsible for their own health and welfare when it comes to airborne/droplet viruses and bacteria. Nothing is really going to change for one of my friends with cystic fibrosis who's had a double lung transplant. These people constantly have to be careful with hygiene etc. It's not libertarian thought - it's one based in reality.

The borders don’t have to open at all actually.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME WASH MY HANDS
Don't you work fast food Beet?

JBM lost consciousness and died a short time after police decided to take him into protective custody at Vestys Beach in Darwin in September 2016. He had been bashed by two people the night before. That morning he had asked a council ranger to call an ambulance because his back hurt, and that request was passed on to the police call centre, but not recorded or acted on. Police arrived two hours after the request for an ambulance. They called an ambulance and performed CPR but he died at the scene.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, mental health / cognitive impairment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freebooter posted:

I'm not sure about anything, but reasonably confident, yeah. "Normal" in Australia post-COVID means being able to travel interstate again for holidays and to see family; most people I think won't gripe too much about not travelling overseas for another year or two because most of us don't do it every year anyway, unless we're going to Bali or Thailand (easily swapped for Cairns or Fiji, if we get a Pacific bubble) or unless we're in the hyper-rich 5% who go skiing in Europe every year (and who gives a gently caress about them). There is enough (misjudged IMO) wariness of the AZ vaccine already floating around that I think if the government says "it doesn't prevent transmission enough to achieve herd immunity so lots of us are still vulnerable until we can source enough Pfizer," then most people will accept that.

Also it's not just an on/off binary - we could maintain hotel quarantine in varying forms, let international students in from China and Vietnam and other relatively safe countries, permit Australians to depart the country on the understanding that they still have to quarantine on return (plenty of people going overseas for longer work contracts or backpacking trips would be okay with that). No matter when or how it happens I expect it will be quite gradual.

I understand that borders reopening is a complex and difficult topic that for a lot of people will not have an acceptable answer but I'd like to add that there are tens of thousands of Australians and visa holders who are either by no fault of their own still effectively not able to travel home and a lot of partners / family who have been separated unable to see each other - Zoom and calls are just not a substitute for physical proximity. The issue of borders is not just about rich buggering off or people wanting to go to Bali, there's a hell of a lot of people in bad situations where only a relative return to some ability to cross the border will help. Also as I have added its not Australian citizens that have these issues - visa holders are also affected and there has been no end of horror stories of say people who have overseas partners struggling to reunite.

One of the big problems in even getting a flight home is that airlines are not really willing to fly to Australia as no one is really leaving. Seats are expensive and there has been a myrid of cancellation problems. A lot of the visas in question have time limitations which in the main are not being extended (what about a couple that have just been granted a visa for the offshore partner to come in? The visa condition says you got one year to make first entry, what if you just cant get here under the current conditions?)

At some point I think they will loosen up for vaccinated people at which point travel will be easier. While I get it, travel restrictions have to be in place at some point they have to be opened up for the tens of thousands who need to travel for family reasons at the least.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

How does "public health is a public responsibility", when talking about infectious diseases such as influenza and covid, in any way preclude people with suppressed immune systems also managing their own safety & hygeine?

Do you get your yearly flu vaccinations? If you thought you had an infectious respiritory infection, would you visit your friend who is immunocompromised?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

GoldStandardConure posted:

If you thought you had an infectious respiritory infection, would you visit your friend who is immunocompromised?

Tbh you'd be amazed how often this happened before covid. People are a bit better now but also I am a deranged hermit so it's possible they are just avoiding me for other reasons

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

How does "public health is a public responsibility", when talking about infectious diseases such as influenza and covid, in any way preclude people with suppressed immune systems also managing their own safety & hygeine?

Do you get your yearly flu vaccinations? If you thought you had an infectious respiritory infection, would you visit your friend who is immunocompromised?

Easy questions
I work in the health field.
Yes I get my yearly flu vaccination.
No I wouldn't visit my immunocompromised friend if I had a respiratory illness - just like you shouldn't be turning up to a nursing home with flu symptoms because outbreaks can make a few people sick or kill them. This was happening before covid.

That being said, pathogens such as mycobacterium avium complex that the general population doesn't give a poo poo about is dangerous for people with cystic fibrosis which sometimes leaves people in hospital rooms for months on their own while they get diagnosed and treated.

...and that bug is found naturally the environment so you could be eating it, drinking it or breathing it in without any clue.

If we really wanted to stop these emerging diseases such as swine flu, MERS, SARS etc from infecting the human population, we would stop industrial farming livestock and encroaching on the habitat of wild animals.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Tbh you'd be amazed how often this happened before covid. People are a bit better now but also I am a deranged hermit so it's possible they are just avoiding me for other reasons

Yea 70% of the flu testing in hospitals would be people in aged care over the age of 75 generally.
Covid testing would have shaken that demographic up hugely.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

Easy questions
I work in the health field.
No I wouldn't visit my immunocompromised friend if I had a respiratory illness - just like you shouldn't be turning up to a nursing home with flu symptoms because outbreaks can make a few people sick or kill them. This was happening before covid.

That being said, pathogens such as mycobacterium avium complex that the general population doesn't give a poo poo about is dangerous for people with cystic fibrosis which sometimes leaves people in hospital rooms for months on their own while they get diagnosed and treated.

...and that bug is found naturally the environment so you could be eating it, drinking it or breathing it in without any clue.

If we really wanted to stop these emerging diseases such as swine flu, MERS, SARS etc from infecting the human population, we would stop industrial farming livestock and encroaching on the habitat of wild animals.

How do you work in the health field and not think that public health is a public responsibility? Via things like getting their vaccinations, wearing a mask, not going to work sick, not sneezing on people in public etc.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

No I wouldn't visit my immunocompromised friend if I had a respiratory illness - just like you shouldn't be turning up to a nursing home with flu symptoms because outbreaks can make a few people sick or kill them.

i mean this sounds an awful lot like you are taking a just a wee bit of responsibility to make sure you don't accidently infect or injure someone else, rather than just going "well she'll be right, they can take care of themselves"

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

How do you work in the health field and not think that public health is a public responsibility? Via things like getting their vaccinations, wearing a mask, not going to work sick, not sneezing on people in public etc.

What the hell.
I never stated for public health to stop doing any of those things. I was referring that people who are immunocompromised have to take extra precautions every day, so are in effect responsible for their own health in a more conscientious way that the general population isn't.

And that keeping the borders shut once the vast majority of the population is vaccinated doesn't make sense. Though covid will still be around, just not as we have known it for the last year and at much lower levels even if we aren't socially distancing anymore.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Old man Gsc forgot who he was going off at last page and now thinks it’s myth.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MythLisp posted:

What the hell.
I never stated for public health to stop doing any of those things. I was referring that people who are immunocompromised have to take extra precautions every day, so are in effect responsible for their own health in a more conscientious way that the general population isn't.

And that keeping the borders shut once the vast majority of the population is vaccinated doesn't make sense. Though covid will still be around, just not as we have known it for the last year and at much lower levels even if we aren't socially distancing anymore.

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying in the conversation, but you did say

MythLisp posted:

in the same conversation where someone someone claimed:

Launchpad McQuack posted:

No it isn't. I am very sorry but it isn't. There is a level of personal responsibility. You can't trust anyone with your health but yourself.

about public health. I know people who have compromised immune systems have to be careful in their lives. I nevers said they don't have to be responsible for their own health and hygeine. Its not easy for them. It would be a lot easier if other people showed a bit of empathy and didn't ignore poo poo like health advice on vaccinations, masks, hand washing, going to work sick etc.

Rather than just screaming "no its all personal responsibility its not my problem if you get sick when I cough on you"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

Old man Gsc forgot who he was going off at last page and now thinks it’s myth.

gently caress you ham beet i'll go off at you in a minute

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

only if you remember

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i'm bound to hit you eventually if i just throw poo poo everywhere

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

accurate

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m glad someone has stepped up to the plate to explain to GSC what being immunocompromised entails, it’s about fuckin time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I thought you'd left it in the fridge

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hey, just imagine if we'd globally pursued an elimination strategy and as of like 6 months ago would have never had to think about covid again..

good times.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

MythLisp posted:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

hooman posted:

Hey, just imagine if we'd globally pursued an elimination strategy and as of like 6 months ago would have never had to think about covid again..

good times.

Six months ago it was already endemic.

The best last chance was in the early days of when it got into Europe and the US (Jan?). Once established in places like Brazil, Russia, South Asia and Africa - it was likely never going to go away and definitely not going away for a very long time.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1361531191346618373

How did you first come across [disproven and unproven COVID-19 treatments]?

KELLY: I’ll tell ya how it started. A good 9 months ago someone sent me a YouTube video of a doctor […] He said ‘I’ve got information for the president of the United States, I’ve got this therapy and it’s highly successful, I’ve got to get this message to him.’ And I thought to myself, that’s a good, positive message […]

Before I posted it, I checked the credibility of it. He had this long Jewish beard. He looked a bit … I looked him up to see that he was on the up and up and I satisfied myself. So I posted it to Facebook.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Craig Kelley has severe Facebook boomer brain

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I only found out the other day that Kelly is a Sydney MP. He has Queensland written all over him.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tommunist posted:

Craig Kelley has severe Facebook boomer brain

He represents his electorate well then.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

freebooter posted:

I only found out the other day that Kelly is a Sydney MP. He has Queensland written all over him.

As a qlder, I always get surprised when I realise Barnaby isn't a qlder

I looked it up just to make sure and he had a run as a senator here apparently which makes perfect sense

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
huh, victoria is coming out of lockdown? I thought they had a bunch of community transmission

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

crepeface posted:

huh, victoria is coming out of lockdown? I thought they had a bunch of community transmission

Nope and the reason they don't have a bunch of community transmission is because of the lockdown.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The community transmission was in already locked down cases afaik. E: close contacts of positive cases testing positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
People gonna be furious that we have to wear masks again

*edit* only when we can't do 1.5m distancing it seems