Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Let me ask *you* a question. Why would a grown man whose shirt says "Genius at Work" spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
That loving magic xylophone pissed me off.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Or am I the one super missing something

OneTruePecos posted:

The joke is supposed to be bad

Bart is normal. It is OK, and normal to not "get" the joke. That is the point of the episode. I feel like there's a meta thing going on here where you not understanding Bart Simpson mirrors Bart, an average 10 year old, not getting calculus.

The joke is supposed to be confusing and weird. I can't put it any plainer than that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not arguing that the thing that is actually funny isn't that Bart is in way over his head and doesn't get the geeky math joke.

I'm just saying the math joke doesn't work as a joke on a geeky math level either.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
The brilliance of the writing is that even if you "get" the joke, Bart's reaction to it is still more relatable than the nerds that think it's funny. It's not funny, it's goofy and contrived, and he arrives at the correct reaction through his own natural process of not knowing calculus.

The idea is that you are meant to relate to Bart, instead of congratulating yourself for "getting" a calculus joke. That would be a Lisa thing to do.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I can totally picture them doing a bit in a new episode where Lisa somehow ends up with the same teacher and she points out that the joke makes no sense. Then they make a meta-joke about the ugly season 1 animation by depicting the nerd kids exactly how they were in 1990.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can picture the better Simpsons writers coming up with something more clever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean I shouldn't have started this derail I guess. I agree, the regular Bart end of the joke is perfectly good and funny.

Lord knows I've gotten myself in enough trouble trying to tell a joke that relies on "shop talk" and it turns out the person I'm telling it to knows enough of the shop talk in question to get hung up on the intricate details of whatever it is and totally misses what was intended to be funny. "Well? Was it a turbocharger or a supercharger? That matters, they do different things! They're plumbed totally differently!" "I don't know, it was just a joke about getting oil all over himself"

E: ^^ or, you know, Futurama. They tended to think it through all the way so they didn't end up like this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

My point is that nobody would "get" R-D-R-R, even the genius kids, because there is no mathematical reason for them to write out a derivative like that. That is not a notation anyone uses. You don't take R2dR and split out the squared R's and put them on opposite ends of the expression. You can, but it's just confusing and weird, and not something you do as a matter of course. You'd want to simplify it back to the way it was before. It's like if the teacher said "Calculate the speed of the train" and they all somehow concluded that she wanted them to write "40 mph plus 24 mph and a bit" and then all laugh because that sentence translates to an insult against your mother in Russian. It's possible to write it like that but nobody in their right mind ever would

The joke writers contrived it backwards for the sake of the joke, and it's funny if you don't know math I guess

what if the teacher had explained to the kids what exponents were at some point (before bart joined the class) and at some point they saw the notation expanded out like that as part of a lesson

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Then they would have written it RRDR or DRRR anything but the one possibility they imply is "obvious" aaaaaaaa

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Fuckin nerds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol I live for this discussion of the simps

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And why is their skin yellow? Skin isn't yellow unless you're jaundiced. Are they all jaundiced? Their sclera should be yellow too, then.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

no, that's it. it's a little odd given the strong math background of the writers

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Das Boo posted:

And why is their skin yellow? Skin isn't yellow unless you're jaundiced. Are they all jaundiced? Their sclera should be yellow too, then.

It always bothered me that the animators would make such a basic mistake. Glad to know I wasn't the only one that noticed.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Das Boo posted:

One of the animators left the cels in his pockets when he did the laundry after coming home from work one day. He didn't have time to go back to headquarters and fix them all by hand before the others showed up for work. So he tried to pass it off as a fun little thing Fox ordered to have the show stand out. He was fired on the spot. The rest is history.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The kids are so smart they realized there was a joke if you arrange the equation in that very unorthodox way.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You do know what happens when you mix overanalyzing with a throw away joke, right?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Data Graham posted:

My point is that nobody would "get" R-D-R-R, even the genius kids, because there is no mathematical reason for them to write out a derivative like that. That is not a notation anyone uses. You don't take R2dR and split out the squared R's and put them on opposite ends of the expression. You can, but it's just confusing and weird, and not something you do as a matter of course. You'd want to simplify it back to the way it was before. It's like if the teacher said "Calculate the speed of the train" and they all somehow concluded that she wanted them to write "40 mph plus 24 mph and a bit" and then all laugh because that sentence translates to an insult against your mother in Russian. It's possible to write it like that but nobody in their right mind ever would

The joke writers contrived it backwards for the sake of the joke, and it's funny if you don't know math I guess

The joke is technically correct but very obscure.
The audience shares those feelings with Bart - not realky sure if it's a crap joke or he's stupid.
It is an example of a joke with heart - the kind Simpsons don't do any more.

Also it is a lame joke with nerds referencing something outdated.
The joke is also that the nerds think they're funny when they're not.
Now modern Simpsons *is* the unfunny outdated references that thinks itself hilarious.

So there's levels where the RDRR joke as-told fails - it's obscure in construction and it's obscure in its references. It has all the component but falls flat regardless. Which is what makes the scene succeed.

That is the joke.

E: and it's still fitting with the broader contextual narrative because

porfiria posted:

The kids are so smart they realized there was a joke if you arrange the equation in that very unorthodox way.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 16, 2021

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I can totally picture them doing a bit in a new episode where Lisa somehow ends up with the same teacher and she points out that the joke makes no sense. Then they make a meta-joke about the ugly season 1 animation by depicting the nerd kids exactly how they were in 1990.

Ugh the bad part is that you aren't wrong.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Man my wires got crossed and I was so sure that the RDRR bit was You Only Move Twice what the gently caress

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pretty good posted:

Man my wires got crossed and I was so sure that the RDRR bit was You Only Move Twice what the gently caress

What's really weird is for how much people are complaining about it, it's literally one of two lines I actually remember from Bart the genius

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Apparently Hardy Har Har is an actual phrase somewhere but I've never heard it.

oh jesus christ.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't you GET it, Bart?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Muk Dumpster posted:

Let me ask *you* a question. Why would a grown man whose shirt says "Genius at Work" spend all of his time watching a children's cartoon show?

Because I'm working from home and turns out my actual job doesn't take that much time to do.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Then they would have written it RRDR or DRRR anything but the one possibility they imply is "obvious" aaaaaaaa

I've had a cold, so--
Oh so you hear R's as D's?
Yes.
I understand.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ikanreed posted:

You do know what happens when you mix overanalyzing with a throw away joke, right?

This thread?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Red dead redemption red

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Is there a gif of the teacher doing the awkward dance

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Yep

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
loving hell that animation style sucked so bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is that the Klasky-Czupo season? I feel that works better with their signature ugly, caricature ish designs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nerds write derivatives like this
Normal people write derivatives like this

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I couldn't believe this hadn't been done, so

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Das Boo posted:

:eyepop:

das boo should get to be the supreme ruler for a day

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Das Boo posted:

This is my car hole!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe like a lot of insufferable brats, those kids were laughing at the RDRR joke just because they thought they were supposed to and didn't actually get the odd math necessary to derive the joke.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

iamsosmrt posted:

Maybe like a lot of insufferable brats, those kids were laughing at the RDRR joke just because they thought they were supposed to and didn't actually get the odd math necessary to derive the joke.

nah, they started laughing before the teacher explained it. I'm not in any way a math dude and I still caught that it didn't make sense when I watched that episode a couple weeks ago.

DG is completely correct, and it's also weird that they did the joke that way, given that a bunch of the writers had advanced math degrees.

But also

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's a Dexter's Lab where the clue is r2 and the computer reminds Dexter that pi equals r2 and Dexter is embarrassed that he didn't think of that very obvious fact before the computer did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When the college professor said "Out with the old, in with the nucleus", do you think the students were laughing because they actually thought it was funny, or because they felt obligated to laugh to appear smart?