Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Darkest Dungeon works pretty well on notebooks. It doesn't use the right mouse button a lot and you can control much of it just through the keyboard.

That's a good suggestion, bud sadly I've already played it... Iratus was also pretty doable without mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Have you already played the Siralim series of games? Not sure that dungeon-diving and monster collecting counts as tactical, but they basically don't use the mouse at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Walh Hara posted:

What are some good tactical games for just keyboard + laptop touchpad?

I.e. mouse clicking is ok, but having to drag the mouse or having to use the righter mouse button is really annoying. Keyboard only games are fine as well of course. Games that require fast mouse movement are obviously not ok either.

Examples of games I like that are perfectly playable: slay the spire (with the keyboard shortcut mod), monster train (keyboard shortcuts), football tactics and glory (doable with just touchpad), into the breach, emulator of old games (ie chrono trigger, fire emblem).

Examples of games I like that don't work well without mouse: DemonCrawl (too much right clicking), Desperados III, troubleshooter (way too much mouse clicking in general), trials of fire (dragging cards is a pain).

idk how "tactical" it is in this context, but Dicey Dungeons is 100% left clicks/drags

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

idk how "tactical" it is in this context, but Dicey Dungeons is 100% left clicks/drags

Something like Dicey Dungeons would be fine, but dragging is really annoying with a touchpad so it's not ideal itself.

Cardiovorax posted:

Have you already played the Siralim series of games? Not sure that dungeon-diving and monster collecting counts as tactical, but they basically don't use the mouse at all.

Yes, I've tried siralim 3 a little bit. Tbh, I'm kinda waiting for siralim ultimate to come out. When it releases next month I'll certainly take another look.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Gromit posted:

My group of friends are always looking for coop that supports 6+ players. Anyone here played Valheim yet?

I think Valheim would work out. Barotrauma is another one to look into that was recommended to me but I haven't had a chance to play much yet.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for the Valheim info. I'll definitely put it on the list of games to consider for my group, along with Barotrauma.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Walh Hara posted:

Something like Dicey Dungeons would be fine, but dragging is really annoying with a touchpad so it's not ideal itself.

Yes, I've tried siralim 3 a little bit. Tbh, I'm kinda waiting for siralim ultimate to come out. When it releases next month I'll certainly take another look.
You're really not making this easy. :v:

How about a roguelike? Tales of Maj'eyal is playable completely through keyboard controls and runs fine on most notebooks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/BlasphemousGame/status/1361676707166576640

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for all the info about Nioh 2, I've played a couple sessions now and still haven't managed to get through the first level, lol. I'm glad to hear that stance switching isn't the solution to sucking at combat, I think once I get that out of my head for the time being it might help a bit. I do forget about the yokai parry thing but mostly because I thought the tutorial did kind of a bad job at telling me when I'm supposed to be doing it so I just spammed it until it counted. I've been using the spear because I like the idea of poking at range and the cool flippy stuff you can do with it but maybe I should pick something more straightforward while I learn the mechanics.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Neat. I backed both of these and ended up not really liking Bloodstained. Haven’t tried Blasphemous yet, I should do that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Oooh, and i still haven't even tackled Blasphemous's new DLC. Ill give it a shot when it comes out. I like how Miriam/Bloodstained is getting the Shovel Knight cameo treatment.

Anno posted:

Neat. I backed both of these and ended up not really liking Bloodstained. Haven’t tried Blasphemous yet, I should do that.

If you were to compare studios headed by former lead developers known for their previous work, Out of stuff like Mighty No.9, Shenmue 3, Yooka Laylee...Bloodstained is definitely number one out of that whole lineup.

I really enjoy Bloodstained. It feels just like castlevania, but it makes me wish the game was castlevania.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 16, 2021

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
What is up with the partnership between those two games? I remember I got both as a package as well back during the winter sale. They have different developers and publishers, made in different countries, etc.

Did Igarashi secretly work on Blasphemous?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe Igarashi just really loves Spanish catholicism

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I mean, it is also a metroidvania

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

At least they're similar gameplay wise.

The Kingdom: Two Crowns crossover was weirder (the cool kind of weird).

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you were to compare studios headed by former lead developers known for their previous work, Out of stuff like Mighty No.9, Shenmue 3, Yooka Laylee...Bloodstained is definitely number one out of that whole lineup.

I really enjoy Bloodstained. It feels just like castlevania, but it makes me wish the game was castlevania.

That seems to be the consensus, though I think people really like Yooka Laylee, too. Mostly it made me feel like I should just go play SotN for the 50th time, since it plays better, sounds better and looks way better. Bloodstained is the first game I can think of in awhile that actively turned me off by how it looked.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Anyone here had 2 steam accounts registered to the same email address?

I don't know why it let me do that - the first one is at least 10 years old, but I keep getting emails with the steam guard code for an account under a different username to my main one. It's an account that's probably only got HL2 & garrys mod on.

Trying to recover the password you type in the email instead of the username, which makes it think I'm looking for the password for my newer, main account.
Someone is logging in with the correct username and password to trigger the steam guard code before it will let them in, but I'm getting those emails to the same email account as my main acc.
There's definitely no valid CC attached to it, I mostly just want to change the password as I'm getting "Your Steam account: Access from new computer" emails multiple times a day.

I did try contacting support, I told them the old username and email and they asked if I want to close the account. I fear the chances they'd kill off my main account are WAY too high.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 16, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've been spending more time with the Curse of the Moon games since picking up the second one during the sale, and I think they're extremely solid. I had Castlevania 3 growing up and played the poo poo out of it on my NES, and Curse of the Moon 1 and 2 feel like straight up continuations of that formula. They feel kinda like missing links between old school Castlevanias and the Metroidvania style.

Haven't gotten too far into Bloodstained proper because I really do not like the graphics and aesthetics at all, but the Curse of the Moon games are insanely good.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone here had 2 steam accounts registered to the same email address?

I don't know why it let me do that - the first one is at least 10 years old, but I keep getting emails with the steam guard code for an account under a different username to my main one. It's an account that's probably only got HL2 & garrys mod on.

Trying to recover the password you type in the email instead of the username, which makes it think I'm looking for the password for my newer, main account.
Someone is logging in with the correct username and password to trigger the steam guard code before it will let them in, but I'm getting those emails to the same email account as my main acc.
There's definitely no valid CC attached to it, I mostly just want to change the password as I'm getting "Your Steam account: Access from new computer" emails multiple times a day.

I did try contacting support, I told them the old username and email and they asked if I want to close the account. I fear the chances they'd kill off my main account are WAY too high.
Why not change the email on the account you do know the password for, and then recover the other account?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Doctor Nutt posted:

I've been spending more time with the Curse of the Moon games since picking up the second one during the sale, and I think they're extremely solid. I had Castlevania 3 growing up and played the poo poo out of it on my NES, and Curse of the Moon 1 and 2 feel like straight up continuations of that formula. They feel kinda like missing links between old school Castlevanias and the Metroidvania style.

Haven't gotten too far into Bloodstained proper because I really do not like the graphics and aesthetics at all, but the Curse of the Moon games are insanely good.

Good soundtrack too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWP8jtNU134

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yep, it's solid, although I don't think it has anything as catchy or iconic as Vampire Killer.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I liked Bloodstained alright but I couldn't ever really shake the feeling that I was playing Symphony of the Night: Generic Asset Collection Edition.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Nebuchadnezzar, a city-building sim strongly inspired by the classic Impressions Games city-builders such as Caesar III, is finally coming out tomorrow. It's supposed to be 20 dollars/euros at launch.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Gromit posted:

Thanks everyone for the Valheim info. I'll definitely put it on the list of games to consider for my group, along with Barotrauma.

i will second the rec for Barotrauma. That game is like a more user-friendly Space Station 13 with actual gameplay mechanics. The mission objectives themselves are secondary to the huge amount of chaos and fuckery a fully-manned sub brings with it. The game is a ton of fun when everyone is doing their role and trying their best to keep the sub from flooding. Hell, the game is even fun when people are loving up, either intentionally or unintentionally. 6 people would be close to the ideal amount of people to have on a sub too, so it should be a good fit for your group number.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Blattdorf posted:

Nebuchadnezzar, a city-building sim strongly inspired by the classic Impressions Games city-builders such as Caesar III, is finally coming out tomorrow. It's supposed to be 20 dollars/euros at launch.

holy moly that looks good

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

explosivo posted:

Thanks for all the info about Nioh 2, I've played a couple sessions now and still haven't managed to get through the first level, lol. I'm glad to hear that stance switching isn't the solution to sucking at combat, I think once I get that out of my head for the time being it might help a bit. I do forget about the yokai parry thing but mostly because I thought the tutorial did kind of a bad job at telling me when I'm supposed to be doing it so I just spammed it until it counted. I've been using the spear because I like the idea of poking at range and the cool flippy stuff you can do with it but maybe I should pick something more straightforward while I learn the mechanics.

The game does not do a very good job of tutorializing, it's true. You have to use the counter after they start actually doing the attack, thus things like the gaki's red-eyed attack that has a super long wind-up. It's meant to fake you out, but it's not really fair when it's not clear what the timing is supposed to be in the first place. It takes a lot of trial and error to figure out how the different mechanics work.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Begemot posted:

The game does not do a very good job of tutorializing, it's true. You have to use the counter after they start actually doing the attack, thus things like the gaki's red-eyed attack that has a super long wind-up. It's meant to fake you out, but it's not really fair when it's not clear what the timing is supposed to be in the first place. It takes a lot of trial and error to figure out how the different mechanics work.

Thank you, I did eventually get it by spamming it but the red eye must be subtle or I'm not looking close enough because I can almost never tell when I have the opportunity to counter with it. I'm going to keep trying (once i can peel myself away from Valheim) because I think just bashing my head on it for a while should make something click eventually.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i will second the rec for Barotrauma. That game is like a more user-friendly Space Station 13 with actual gameplay mechanics. The mission objectives themselves are secondary to the huge amount of chaos and fuckery a fully-manned sub brings with it. The game is a ton of fun when everyone is doing their role and trying their best to keep the sub from flooding. Hell, the game is even fun when people are loving up, either intentionally or unintentionally. 6 people would be close to the ideal amount of people to have on a sub too, so it should be a good fit for your group number.

Thanks for the recommendation. My group enjoys working together to get through stuff, and I have a reputation for loving things up so it sounds like a good fit. Cheers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

explosivo posted:

I've been using mostly mid switchglaive and mid tonfas. Tonfas are excellent at running human-type enemies out of ki.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There should be a really noticeable reddish-black aura swirling around them when they're winding up for a burst attack. It's very obvious once you know what it looks like, the trick is just in figuring out the correct timing for your current shift type's burst counter since they all need to be used at slightly different points during a given enemy's own attack animation.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I think some people mentioned Code Vein in here. It's coming to game pass in a few days. Also Wreckfest.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1361677765175619603

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wiltsghost posted:

I think some people mentioned Code Vein in here. It's coming to game pass in a few days. Also Wreckfest.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1361677765175619603

Sweet, my hesitance on buying Wreckfest when it was on sale pays off! Dirt 5 is pretty cool too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really want to like Gamepass but I just don’t. The windows store sucks so goddamn bad and it makes me never actually use it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I got a lot of use out of Gamepass when I first had it, but ultimately, free time is at more of a premium to me than money.

That means that I have a backlog of games I bought because I wanted to play them, and I’m going to do that rather than wait for a roulette of free titles, and when I do finish them, I’ll probably just buy the next game I want, because gaming time is a precious commodity to me.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The fact that games are regularly removed from gamepass is awful.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Det_no posted:

The fact that games are regularly removed from gamepass is awful.

how so? im struggling to get worked up about it - if you want them permanently you can buy them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really want to like Gamepass but I just don’t. The windows store sucks so goddamn bad and it makes me never actually use it.

My only experience was PSO2, where it:

Installed the game four times. I don't know how or why, it just DID
Besides making windows alert me that the drive was completely full, the game still wasn't playable
Oh and it installed these copies of the game onto a folder that I did not have permission to even look into
I had to download a program that'll allow me to look into this folder and more importantly, delete all the copies of the game

E: forgot to mention, when I clicked uninstall it only uninstalled the launcher for the game, not any of the game assets itself

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 16, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

awesmoe posted:

how so? im struggling to get worked up about it - if you want them permanently you can buy them.

Yeah, exactly.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Everyone on Game Pass should play Killer Queen Black by the way. Extremely good take on classic arcade gameplay for the competitive multiplayer era. Cross platform and local/online hybrid multiplayer support, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Sinatrapod posted:

I liked Bloodstained alright but I couldn't ever really shake the feeling that I was playing Symphony of the Night: Generic Asset Collection Edition.

Yeah I got strong asset flip vibes from it as well, compounded by the fact that there is just very little visual cohesion in the level design and enemy placement/strength. I liked it too and it probably helps that I never played a Castlevania, but I don't think it's an aesthetically pleasing game at all.